Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Just moved to Geneva, looking for a salsa partner

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Just moved to Geneva, looking for a salsa partner

Hi all, 

I have just moved to Geneva for work from Denmark, Copenhagen. I dance cuban salsa (advanced level) and would love to find a dance partner who wants to practice/go out dancing. I am also looking for advice about where to dance salsa in Geneva. 

thanks!

Sophie 

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, 

I have just moved to Geneva for work from Denmark, Copenhagen. I dance cuban salsa (advanced level) and would love to find a dance partner who wants to practice/go out dancing. I am also looking for advice about where to dance salsa in Geneva. 

thanks!

Sophie 

Sophie GSep 19, 2014 @ 21:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1266 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Just moved to Geneva, looking for a salsa partner
Post 1

Hello,

I don't have the right level in order to be your partner but I am going to salsa lesson every Wednesday at Barrios. You could join next Wednesday http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/geneva/73688.htm and you will probably find someone. (the lesson are good in a very funny atmosphere)

There are many place where you can dance salsa in geneva. Barrios Latino (Wednesday), Brasseurs des Grottes (Friday), Côté cour côté jardin (saturday), Halle de l'île or Les Bastions (Sunday)

Ciao

Hello,

I don't have the right level in order to be your partner but I am going to salsa lesson every Wednesday at Barrios. You could join next Wednesday http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/geneva/73688.htm and you will probably find someone. (the lesson are good in a very funny atmosphere)

There are many place where you can dance salsa in geneva. Barrios Latino (Wednesday), Brasseurs des Grottes (Friday), Côté cour côté jardin (saturday), Halle de l'île or Les Bastions (Sunday)

Ciao

Giuseppe D, Sep 20, 2014 @ 07:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Giuseppe! 
see you on the dance floor :) 

Thank you Giuseppe! 
see you on the dance floor :) 

Sophie G, Sep 20, 2014 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello, I am a bit late but if you fancy dancing salsa there is an evening this Sunday at Salsa Geneva in chatelaine.  Will gladly see you there.

Sud

Hello, I am a bit late but if you fancy dancing salsa there is an evening this Sunday at Salsa Geneva in chatelaine.  Will gladly see you there.

Sud

Serval, Nov 28, 2014 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Sophie,

Apparently they have salsa lessons at Halles du l'Ile every Sunday evening. You pay 10 CHF, get a drink for free and get to dance salsa with proper teachers, etc. To be fair, I've never been (would love to go at some point though), so I can't really speak from experience but it sounds really fun. The waiter there told me about it the last time I went there for brunch - Hope it was the truth ;)

Have a lovely Sunday,
Sara

Hi Sophie,

Apparently they have salsa lessons at Halles du l'Ile every Sunday evening. You pay 10 CHF, get a drink for free and get to dance salsa with proper teachers, etc. To be fair, I've never been (would love to go at some point though), so I can't really speak from experience but it sounds really fun. The waiter there told me about it the last time I went there for brunch - Hope it was the truth ;)

Have a lovely Sunday,
Sara

Sara K, Dec 28, 2014 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Sophie,

Have a lovely Sunday,
Sara

Dec 28, 14 11:10

Those are not dance lessons they are parties for people who already know how to dance.

Those are not dance lessons they are parties for people who already know how to dance.

catalin, Dec 28, 2014 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi all,

The best source for salsa parties is by far Facebook groups, with regular announcements and daily updates on parties to come. Among weekly parties, here are my favourites for their atmosphere and lots of space to dance: Mondays' Olà Portugal, Wednesdays' Salseros de Hoy (Vernier, not that far from center), Thursdays' Mambo.

Salsa parties at Côté Cour, Côté Jardin listed earlier for Saturdays, and Bastions for Sundays, are currently not running.

Beware that Brasserie des Halles de l'Île on Sundays, would host salsa only every other week - check schedule from the organizer Salsa Geneva on their website. Now, about the lessons there, what the waiter told Sara isn't completely wrong: as far as I know, though they wouldn't be much advertised, Moh would would give some introduction classes from 18h to 19h (before party), and actually did for a fact at least sometime last October.

My feeling about parties being for "people who already know how to dance" as I've read above: I take great pleasure by often inviting complete strangers and/or complete beginners, who sometimes have a better ability to follow than some girls learning choregraphies in advanced level classes! We're not on par here, and girls are on the easier side of the couple dance, as in my opinion the only skill expection should be on the guy's lead.

Bottom line: advanced level or complete beginners, please all go to parties. Do take classes if you feel like it, but then also go dance in parties, as classes only are pointless without regular practice. If anyone would like to join, I'll be at Salseros de Hoy tonight and Mambo tomorrow!

-> Baila !

David

Hi all,

The best source for salsa parties is by far Facebook groups, with regular announcements and daily updates on parties to come. Among weekly parties, here are my favourites for their atmosphere and lots of space to dance: Mondays' Olà Portugal, Wednesdays' Salseros de Hoy (Vernier, not that far from center), Thursdays' Mambo.

Salsa parties at Côté Cour, Côté Jardin listed earlier for Saturdays, and Bastions for Sundays, are currently not running.

Beware that Brasserie des Halles de l'Île on Sundays, would host salsa only every other week - check schedule from the organizer Salsa Geneva on their website. Now, about the lessons there, what the waiter told Sara isn't completely wrong: as far as I know, though they wouldn't be much advertised, Moh would would give some introduction classes from 18h to 19h (before party), and actually did for a fact at least sometime last October.

My feeling about parties being for "people who already know how to dance" as I've read above: I take great pleasure by often inviting complete strangers and/or complete beginners, who sometimes have a better ability to follow than some girls learning choregraphies in advanced level classes! We're not on par here, and girls are on the easier side of the couple dance, as in my opinion the only skill expection should be on the guy's lead.

Bottom line: advanced level or complete beginners, please all go to parties. Do take classes if you feel like it, but then also go dance in parties, as classes only are pointless without regular practice. If anyone would like to join, I'll be at Salseros de Hoy tonight and Mambo tomorrow!

-> Baila !

David

David L, Jan 7, 2015 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1266 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form