Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Living in Geneva, currently building an urban guide

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Living in Geneva, currently building an urban guide

Hello everyone,

I was born in Geneva 25 years ago and I've seen quite a lot of the city. I currently work as a freelance photographer. I have a lot of friends who are expats and I believe that it's what makes Geneva such an interesting place. I'm not fond of people who say that Geneva is just banks and luxury shops, because it's just not true. There's so many nice bars, coffees, little restaurants and shops, a lot of alternative culture as well.

Together with a friend (Camille, a french girl) we're working on developing an urban guide for the city of Geneva that will showcase the places we think are worth seeing. The goal is to show to people that Geneva is much more than just a flower clock, a jet d'eau and some hotels around the lake. 

I'd be very happy to guide any of you, if you're looking for a specific place or thing to do I got plenty of recommendations and contacts in a lot of different fields. If you're interested in having 1to1 photography and retouching training I can also help :) 

I'd be grateful to get feedback on that new guide I'm building from people who are new to Geneva because it's difficult to get an overview of the project when you're constantly working on it.

That project is still very new but you can have a look at it at www.visitgva.com

Sincerely,

Sam

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone,

I was born in Geneva 25 years ago and I've seen quite a lot of the city. I currently work as a freelance photographer. I have a lot of friends who are expats and I believe that it's what makes Geneva such an interesting place. I'm not fond of people who say that Geneva is just banks and luxury shops, because it's just not true. There's so many nice bars, coffees, little restaurants and shops, a lot of alternative culture as well.

Together with a friend (Camille, a french girl) we're working on developing an urban guide for the city of Geneva that will showcase the places we think are worth seeing. The goal is to show to people that Geneva is much more than just a flower clock, a jet d'eau and some hotels around the lake. 

I'd be very happy to guide any of you, if you're looking for a specific place or thing to do I got plenty of recommendations and contacts in a lot of different fields. If you're interested in having 1to1 photography and retouching training I can also help :) 

I'd be grateful to get feedback on that new guide I'm building from people who are new to Geneva because it's difficult to get an overview of the project when you're constantly working on it.

That project is still very new but you can have a look at it at www.visitgva.com

Sincerely,

Sam

Samuel ZOct 3, 2016 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1057 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Living in Geneva, currently building an urban guide
Post 1

Great idea!! I have been here 5 years and I already saw some cool places on your site I have never been to. 

Great idea!! I have been here 5 years and I already saw some cool places on your site I have never been to. 

Sean C, Oct 3, 2016 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I do agree that it is an interesting and needed initiative. Geneva guides in English are rare, let alone a guide that deviates from the standard touristic paths and tries to deliver some of the "feeling" of the city.

Although it seems that the site is still work in progress, some preliminary observations that I have:

- I loved the size and the quality of the photos. They really capture the atmosphere of the places suggested.

- I would slightly change the tone of the texts to be more neutral. In some cases, it looks like an advertisement of the place and not a recommendation from a guide.

- I think it would be helpful some more info like: is English spoken, price ranges, opening days/hours, etc.

Good luck with your project!

I do agree that it is an interesting and needed initiative. Geneva guides in English are rare, let alone a guide that deviates from the standard touristic paths and tries to deliver some of the "feeling" of the city.

Although it seems that the site is still work in progress, some preliminary observations that I have:

- I loved the size and the quality of the photos. They really capture the atmosphere of the places suggested.

- I would slightly change the tone of the texts to be more neutral. In some cases, it looks like an advertisement of the place and not a recommendation from a guide.

- I think it would be helpful some more info like: is English spoken, price ranges, opening days/hours, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Panos K, Oct 3, 2016 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey Sean! Really good to hear :) 

Hey Sean! Really good to hear :) 

Samuel Z, Oct 3, 2016 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello Panos,

Thanks for your in depth feedback.

It's still indeed a work in progress, we launched the website on the 29th september so it's really still fresh.

For the tone of the texts you're right, I'll forward this to Camille who's working on them.

I never tought of indicating the spoken language but that's a superb idea! I'll implement that.

For the price range, do you preffer something like "15-45 CHF" or a system with "$", "$$", "$$$" ?

As for the opening hours I need to see if I can pull the data from google maps because some places changes their opening hours and when we will start to have a lot of articles it will be really difficult to keep track of that.

Thanks again! Such feedback is invaluable to me!

Hello Panos,

It's still indeed a work in progress, we launched the website on the 29th september so it's really still fresh.

For the tone of the texts you're right, I'll forward this to Camille who's working on them.

I never tought of indicating the spoken language but that's a superb idea! I'll implement that.

For the price range, do you preffer something like "15-45 CHF" or a system with "$", "$$", "$$$" ?

As for the opening hours I need to see if I can pull the data from google maps because some places changes their opening hours and when we will start to have a lot of articles it will be really difficult to keep track of that.

Samuel Z, Oct 3, 2016 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello Panos,

Oct 3, 16 19:08

Hi again Samuel,

On the price range, a "$", "$$", "$$$" system would make more sense I guess.

Opening hours may be too much indeed, but maybe you can put information on which day they are closed (if any).

And some additional thoughts:

Maybe you could mark the locations of the places suggested on the map for easier identification.

I was also thinking that when someone sees the name of the site/blog (visitgva) would expect to see also the landmark information (Jet d' Eaue, flower clock, etc.). So either you have to inclode those as well, or you may want to change the title to something more representative of what you try to do, for example "insidegva" or something like that.

Withouth any offence, the fact that none of you two is a native English speaker is noted in the texts of the site. There are some "cute" mistakes, that may however undermine the professional character of your endeavor. You may want to pass the texts through a native-English speaker for some editing.

Hi again Samuel,

On the price range, a "$", "$$", "$$$" system would make more sense I guess.

Opening hours may be too much indeed, but maybe you can put information on which day they are closed (if any).

And some additional thoughts:

Maybe you could mark the locations of the places suggested on the map for easier identification.

I was also thinking that when someone sees the name of the site/blog (visitgva) would expect to see also the landmark information (Jet d' Eaue, flower clock, etc.). So either you have to inclode those as well, or you may want to change the title to something more representative of what you try to do, for example "insidegva" or something like that.

Withouth any offence, the fact that none of you two is a native English speaker is noted in the texts of the site. There are some "cute" mistakes, that may however undermine the professional character of your endeavor. You may want to pass the texts through a native-English speaker for some editing.

Panos K, Oct 4, 2016 @ 08:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Panos,

I was thinking about the price range and it's difficult to find a system that is clear. For example at Birdie Food & Coffee the cheapest thing is maybe 4 CHF (coffee) and the highest 20 CHF (lunch). And in some other places there's even more difference between items.

What do you mean by marking the locations of the places suggested on the map? Having a map with only the places that have an article written?

We're working on the landmarks :)

As for the text you're right, we'll work with someone to correct the texts once we have more content.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Hi Panos,

I was thinking about the price range and it's difficult to find a system that is clear. For example at Birdie Food & Coffee the cheapest thing is maybe 4 CHF (coffee) and the highest 20 CHF (lunch). And in some other places there's even more difference between items.

What do you mean by marking the locations of the places suggested on the map? Having a map with only the places that have an article written?

We're working on the landmarks :)

As for the text you're right, we'll work with someone to correct the texts once we have more content.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Samuel Z, Oct 5, 2016 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Glad if I helped. :)

We all know that Geneva is expensive... Maybe something like a comparison with the average prices would be more helpful:

$: prices cheaper than its category

$$: prices average for its category

$$$: prices more expensive than its category

$$$$: prices significantly more expensive than its category

For the map, it is exactly what I was thinking, having a map where the places places suggested are pinpointed (and maybe with a link to the respective article if you click on the spot in the map).

Glad if I helped. :)

We all know that Geneva is expensive... Maybe something like a comparison with the average prices would be more helpful:

$: prices cheaper than its category

$$: prices average for its category

$$$: prices more expensive than its category

$$$$: prices significantly more expensive than its category

For the map, it is exactly what I was thinking, having a map where the places places suggested are pinpointed (and maybe with a link to the respective article if you click on the spot in the map).

Panos K, Oct 5, 2016 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Panos,

I'll think more in depth about that.

For the map we already have one on visitgva.com/map which work also on mobile and you can geolocate yourself. The ones that have articles have a link to the article, otherwise we link to the website of the place. There's also a "direction" link which open your google map (app or website) with directions to that place.

Hi Panos,

I'll think more in depth about that.

For the map we already have one on visitgva.com/map which work also on mobile and you can geolocate yourself. The ones that have articles have a link to the article, otherwise we link to the website of the place. There's also a "direction" link which open your google map (app or website) with directions to that place.

Samuel Z, Oct 5, 2016 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1057 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form