Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Looking for amateur ice hockey team in GVA

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for amateur ice hockey team in GVA

Hi all, just moved in GVA and already hungry for hockey :-)  as I'm from Russia. 

Please help to find any team that skating in Vernet (living nearby). 

Thank you for your advices! 

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, just moved in GVA and already hungry for hockey :-)  as I'm from Russia. 

Please help to find any team that skating in Vernet (living nearby). 

Thank you for your advices! 

Ivan NikolaevNov 27, 2013 @ 13:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

27 Replies | 3363 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for amateur ice hockey team in GVA
Post 1

Hi Ivan, I'm working in Champel and used to play ice hockey (as I'm from Detroit, MI, USA). I'd be keen to join some pickup hockey as well, 1-2x per week would be ideal. Ciao, Steve

Hi Ivan, I'm working in Champel and used to play ice hockey (as I'm from Detroit, MI, USA). I'd be keen to join some pickup hockey as well, 1-2x per week would be ideal. Ciao, Steve

Steve A, Nov 27, 2013 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Steve, nice to meet you! noted, let you know if find anything. 

Steve, nice to meet you! noted, let you know if find anything. 

Ivan Nikolaev, Nov 27, 2013 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello guys,

You can ask the "Geneva cantonal ice hockey association" : http://www.acghg.ch/

They can surely tell you how to organize something if you can't participate in their activities.

Hello guys,

You can ask the "Geneva cantonal ice hockey association" : http://www.acghg.ch/

They can surely tell you how to organize something if you can't participate in their activities.

Yoann P, Nov 27, 2013 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Smile I Will definitely join if there's something organised. Even if it's been a while I did not play...

Keep us posted please! 

Smile I Will definitely join if there's something organised. Even if it's been a while I did not play...

Keep us posted please! 

, Nov 29, 2013 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Guys - I'm in as well. Just about to move to Geneva from Canada and definitely bringing my skates. Do you know if there's a place for stick and puck sessions at an ice rink?

Hi Guys - I'm in as well. Just about to move to Geneva from Canada and definitely bringing my skates. Do you know if there's a place for stick and puck sessions at an ice rink?

Greg P, Jan 8, 2014 @ 01:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

P.S. Just tracked down the CERN hockey club, looks great: http://club-ice-hockey.web.cern.ch/

P.S. Just tracked down the CERN hockey club, looks great: http://club-ice-hockey.web.cern.ch/

Greg P, Jan 8, 2014 @ 01:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

CERN is an expat-activity epicenter ... awesome find Greg, thanks a ton! A bit easier than trying to get by *completely* on my pidgin French! And it also looks like a good way to get back into the sport (I haven't played regularly since college ... )

CERN is an expat-activity epicenter ... awesome find Greg, thanks a ton! A bit easier than trying to get by *completely* on my pidgin French! And it also looks like a good way to get back into the sport (I haven't played regularly since college ... )

Steve A, Jan 8, 2014 @ 01:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

HI all, very glad to have found this post. Would you gents also know where I can buy some equipment? Need a pair of gloes, stick and hockey bag. Looking to join the CERN club once I have everything. My problem is transportation as I don't have a car, I am hoping these hockey rinks are reachable via public transportation. 

As a sidenote, is anyone interested in roller hockey and would like to get a pickup game going? 

Ilya

HI all, very glad to have found this post. Would you gents also know where I can buy some equipment? Need a pair of gloes, stick and hockey bag. Looking to join the CERN club once I have everything. My problem is transportation as I don't have a car, I am hoping these hockey rinks are reachable via public transportation. 

As a sidenote, is anyone interested in roller hockey and would like to get a pickup game going? 

Ilya

Ilya N, Jan 10, 2014 @ 17:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Ilya, welcome! I don't have car as well and not sure that can catch morning skating in Cern. However 

1) good hockey shoping in this city/country is http://www.chip-sport.com/  

2) yes, indeed ready for roller hockey tonight, will send you my contacts

Regards,

Ivan

Hi Ilya, welcome! I don't have car as well and not sure that can catch morning skating in Cern. However 

1) good hockey shoping in this city/country is http://www.chip-sport.com/  

2) yes, indeed ready for roller hockey tonight, will send you my contacts

Regards,

Ivan

Ivan Nikolaev, Jan 10, 2014 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Ilya, Ivan - last night was short notice, but I am up for rollerhockey anytime. Where is/are there facilities around Geneva?

Ilya, Ivan - last night was short notice, but I am up for rollerhockey anytime. Where is/are there facilities around Geneva?

Steve A, Jan 11, 2014 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Steve, Ivan,

I used to play a little pickup roller back in NY, where we would go to a schoolyard that had an asphalt surface but was rather smooth. I found something similar here near Pacquis:

Ecole de Châteaubriand, Place Châteaubriand 1, 1202 Geneva

In fact, right next to this place there is a whole block that is closed to traffic that is also suitable for play. 

I am sure there are proper indoor/outdoor facilities somewhere, but for now, if you guys want to join just to skate and pass around when the weather is nice, it would be cool. Perhaps we could attract more locals and, hopefully, goalies...

I am going to come out tomorrow around 11 with a puck. Hope to see you there!

Ilya

Steve, Ivan,

I used to play a little pickup roller back in NY, where we would go to a schoolyard that had an asphalt surface but was rather smooth. I found something similar here near Pacquis:

In fact, right next to this place there is a whole block that is closed to traffic that is also suitable for play. 

I am sure there are proper indoor/outdoor facilities somewhere, but for now, if you guys want to join just to skate and pass around when the weather is nice, it would be cool. Perhaps we could attract more locals and, hopefully, goalies...

I am going to come out tomorrow around 11 with a puck. Hope to see you there!

Ilya

Ilya N, Jan 11, 2014 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Ilya, will try to make it. Thank you!

Ilya, will try to make it. Thank you!

Ivan Nikolaev, Jan 11, 2014 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Guys, sorry I couldn't make it. FYI, I played plenty of street hockey in my day (even goalie - but I don't have the equipment here with me! :/)

I also found this, even though their equipment looks straight out of the 1970s to me:

http://www.geneve-rhc.ch/ 

I'm not free on the weekends again until later in Jan unfortunately, but let's keep this thread going and try to reach a critical mass of interest by spring. :)

Guys, sorry I couldn't make it. FYI, I played plenty of street hockey in my day (even goalie - but I don't have the equipment here with me! :/)

I also found this, even though their equipment looks straight out of the 1970s to me:

http://www.geneve-rhc.ch/ 

I'm not free on the weekends again until later in Jan unfortunately, but let's keep this thread going and try to reach a critical mass of interest by spring. :)

Steve A, Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

In the meantime, I clued some people into our discussion, as that might help, and I also found a couple other threads on this topic that provided the below links:

The hockey rec league is: http://www.hockeycorpogeneve.ch

Otherwise there are 3 hockey clubs in GE: 

geneve servette (www.gshc.ch) (pro), meyrin (www.cpm.ch), 3 chênes (www.hc3c.ch).

Additionally, there's this:

I'm part of a team called P&G which is playing in the corporate banking league (www.aihg.ch). Basically, no training, 14 games all based in geneva, 1 tournament at the end of the season on 1 we. Mostly players from the financial sector, but with the possibility of taking players who work elsewhere as well.

[thread: http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Looking-for-ice-hockey-player-164508.htm#msg_201008 ]

In the meantime, I clued some people into our discussion, as that might help, and I also found a couple other threads on this topic that provided the below links:

The hockey rec league is: http://www.hockeycorpogeneve.ch

Otherwise there are 3 hockey clubs in GE: 

geneve servette (www.gshc.ch) (pro), meyrin (www.cpm.ch), 3 chênes (www.hc3c.ch).

Additionally, there's this:

I'm part of a team called P&G which is playing in the corporate banking league (www.aihg.ch). Basically, no training, 14 games all based in geneva, 1 tournament at the end of the season on 1 we. Mostly players from the financial sector, but with the possibility of taking players who work elsewhere as well.

[thread: http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Looking-for-ice-hockey-player-164508.htm#msg_201008 ]

Steve A, Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi All!

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring(k) too!

I'm a Canadian that has been living in Geneva for a while, and I've been yearning for some recreational level ice OR roller OR street hockey OR anything!  I'd be happy to join on the weekends or late in the evenings if we can organize a game.  

Can't wait!

Raman

Hi All!

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring(k) too!

I'm a Canadian that has been living in Geneva for a while, and I've been yearning for some recreational level ice OR roller OR street hockey OR anything!  I'd be happy to join on the weekends or late in the evenings if we can organize a game.  

Can't wait!

Raman

bollybuff, Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

HI all,

Steve, thanks a lot for the info and welcome Raman. I think there is also a program with the University of Geneva, if you have any affiliation.

I will come out tomorrow to the same spot, weather permitting, in Paquis at 11:00 just to skate around. Maybe we can shoot on garbage cans for now, old school:)

Ilya

HI all,

Steve, thanks a lot for the info and welcome Raman. I think there is also a program with the University of Geneva, if you have any affiliation.

I will come out tomorrow to the same spot, weather permitting, in Paquis at 11:00 just to skate around. Maybe we can shoot on garbage cans for now, old school:)

Ilya

Ilya N, Jan 18, 2014 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I found out the info for stick and puck at Meyrin rink (called hockey libre)...easy to get to on Tram 14 and a nice option for getting out and playing a bit of informal pick up. Here's the info on stick and puck: http://bit.ly/1hCYAUc. Since we're all hockey fans, we should organize some outings for the Servette games.

I also watch NHL games (via NHL gamecentre live) on the weekends with a Canadian friend who has a projector for any NHL fans. Anyone welcome but should warn we're Canucks fans.

Also, we need to start asking around for Olympic Hockey...I figure the only place likely to play it is Pickwicks.

Still busy apartment hunting at the moment so once I'm settled in I can organize something.

Greg

I found out the info for stick and puck at Meyrin rink (called hockey libre)...easy to get to on Tram 14 and a nice option for getting out and playing a bit of informal pick up. Here's the info on stick and puck: http://bit.ly/1hCYAUc. Since we're all hockey fans, we should organize some outings for the Servette games.

I also watch NHL games (via NHL gamecentre live) on the weekends with a Canadian friend who has a projector for any NHL fans. Anyone welcome but should warn we're Canucks fans.

Also, we need to start asking around for Olympic Hockey...I figure the only place likely to play it is Pickwicks.

Still busy apartment hunting at the moment so once I'm settled in I can organize something.

Greg

Greg P, Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Thanks, Greg, this is good stuff. I will try to make the open hockey this weekend. Do you know if they require full equipment or just the helmet?

I would be down to watch some Olympic hockey as well.

Ilya

Thanks, Greg, this is good stuff. I will try to make the open hockey this weekend. Do you know if they require full equipment or just the helmet?

I would be down to watch some Olympic hockey as well.

Ilya

Ilya N, Jan 23, 2014 @ 12:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hey all - I organized an outing to the Geneva hockey game on Tuesday - perfect place to meet up and chat in person. Hope to see you there: http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/geneva/66710.htm

Hey all - I organized an outing to the Geneva hockey game on Tuesday - perfect place to meet up and chat in person. Hope to see you there: http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/geneva/66710.htm

Greg P, Jan 26, 2014 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

FYI, a colleague of mine is playing in the rollerhockey club, but these guys use the 4-wheel, old-school setup instead of inline: http://www.geneve-rhc.ch/ 

However, he has informed me that there is an INLINE HOCKEY team that practices at the same facility, and that they have (apparently open) practices on Mondays and Thursdays at 9pm.

I plan to go there tonight to check it out. According to them, there is no *formal* inline rollerhockey league(s) in Geneva, but these guys do occasionally participate in tournaments and such, so it could still be quite good. The location of the rink is:

Piste du Genève RHC
Centre sportif de la queue d’Arve
Rue François-Dussaud 12
1227 Acacias 

FYI, a colleague of mine is playing in the rollerhockey club, but these guys use the 4-wheel, old-school setup instead of inline: http://www.geneve-rhc.ch/ 

However, he has informed me that there is an INLINE HOCKEY team that practices at the same facility, and that they have (apparently open) practices on Mondays and Thursdays at 9pm.

I plan to go there tonight to check it out. According to them, there is no *formal* inline rollerhockey league(s) in Geneva, but these guys do occasionally participate in tournaments and such, so it could still be quite good. The location of the rink is:

Piste du Genève RHC
Centre sportif de la queue d’Arve
Rue François-Dussaud 12
1227 Acacias 

Steve A, Jan 30, 2014 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

So everyone, I went on Thursday to the rollerhockey at the Cetre sportif, and it was great!

The levels of skill varied, but most people were decent. They have a coach, which is good.

We skated for an hour, with the first half doing some basic shooting drills and the second half scrimmage - first half-rink, with one side doing 4 v 4 and the other doing a power play 4v3, then a full-court scrimmage with line changes and everything (there were enough people for 2 lines of 4 per side).

You  have to wear a helmet because they play with a rollerhockey puck, not a ball but you don't need full pads to practice. The cost is 170chf for the year, but since their season is more than halfway through, you'd only have to pay half of that for the remainder of the year.

I encourage everyone that has been thinking about it to come out. While the primary language is French, nearly everyone there also speaks English, so that's easy. Also, there's a third practice every week, Sat 1000-1130, but I was told the attendance to that one is (understandably) poor.

So everyone, I went on Thursday to the rollerhockey at the Cetre sportif, and it was great!

The levels of skill varied, but most people were decent. They have a coach, which is good.

We skated for an hour, with the first half doing some basic shooting drills and the second half scrimmage - first half-rink, with one side doing 4 v 4 and the other doing a power play 4v3, then a full-court scrimmage with line changes and everything (there were enough people for 2 lines of 4 per side).

You  have to wear a helmet because they play with a rollerhockey puck, not a ball but you don't need full pads to practice. The cost is 170chf for the year, but since their season is more than halfway through, you'd only have to pay half of that for the remainder of the year.

I encourage everyone that has been thinking about it to come out. While the primary language is French, nearly everyone there also speaks English, so that's easy. Also, there's a third practice every week, Sat 1000-1130, but I was told the attendance to that one is (understandably) poor.

Steve A, Feb 3, 2014 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Thanks for the post, Steve! Looks great! I am sorry I missed your previous post, otherwise I would have joined you on Thursday. Are you, or anyone else, going tonight?

Thanks for the post, Steve! Looks great! I am sorry I missed your previous post, otherwise I would have joined you on Thursday. Are you, or anyone else, going tonight?

Ilya N, Feb 3, 2014 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Geneva this week and looking to get into hockey/in-line hockey. Grew up playing hockey in Alaska but haven't played for awhile. Been following this thread and got a lot of good info. My gear and skates won't be coming probably until March. Definitely will join once all of my stuff comes.

In the meantime, I'd be up for checking out any hockey games in the area. 

Kaleb

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Geneva this week and looking to get into hockey/in-line hockey. Grew up playing hockey in Alaska but haven't played for awhile. Been following this thread and got a lot of good info. My gear and skates won't be coming probably until March. Definitely will join once all of my stuff comes.

In the meantime, I'd be up for checking out any hockey games in the area. 

Kaleb

Kaleb B, Feb 10, 2014 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Good news - found a great outdoor rink with pick up hockey every evening. They rent skates and sticks if you don't have them. It's in Grand Saconnex close to UN buildings and also has a tent next to it selling everything from vin chaud to beer to fondue.

It's a small rink but there's pick up hockey there every night except Mondays. I'm lucky enough to live next to it so I'll be there regularly. There are all ages playing so it's pretty laid back.

Would anyone be up for playing Thursdays after work at 6:30 (it's open until 8) Or Sundays at 530?

Easiest way to get there is to take the tram to Nations from Gare Cornain, then transfer to Bus 5. Take it three stops and get off at le pommier - the rink is right there on the corner of Route de Feryney at Ch de Pommier (you can see on google maps satellite)

Website: http://www.grand-saconnex.ch/fr/sports-et-loisirs/infrastructures-sportives/patinoire-saisonniere-0-201

Good news - found a great outdoor rink with pick up hockey every evening. They rent skates and sticks if you don't have them. It's in Grand Saconnex close to UN buildings and also has a tent next to it selling everything from vin chaud to beer to fondue.

It's a small rink but there's pick up hockey there every night except Mondays. I'm lucky enough to live next to it so I'll be there regularly. There are all ages playing so it's pretty laid back.

Would anyone be up for playing Thursdays after work at 6:30 (it's open until 8) Or Sundays at 530?

Easiest way to get there is to take the tram to Nations from Gare Cornain, then transfer to Bus 5. Take it three stops and get off at le pommier - the rink is right there on the corner of Route de Feryney at Ch de Pommier (you can see on google maps satellite)

Website: http://www.grand-saconnex.ch/fr/sports-et-loisirs/infrastructures-sportives/patinoire-saisonniere-0-201

Greg P, Feb 12, 2014 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

P.S. I'll be catching Olympic hockey games almost every day at Pickwicks pub. They've assured me they're playing all the games. PM me if anyone is up for joiing Canada vs Norway Thursday 6pm, Canada vs Austria Friday 6pm, or Russia vs USA Saturday 130pm. Anyone watching any other games?

P.S. I'll be catching Olympic hockey games almost every day at Pickwicks pub. They've assured me they're playing all the games. PM me if anyone is up for joiing Canada vs Norway Thursday 6pm, Canada vs Austria Friday 6pm, or Russia vs USA Saturday 130pm. Anyone watching any other games?

Greg P, Feb 12, 2014 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hi Greg, FYI, I would be interested in some pick up hockey. Thu or Sun would work for me, though I'm often away on weekends. 

Hi Greg, FYI, I would be interested in some pick up hockey. Thu or Sun would work for me, though I'm often away on weekends. 

Steve A, Mar 3, 2014 @ 18:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Any hockey players still out there? This is a lonely place to be an NHL fan...

There's great full rink pick up games at the outdoor rink in Grand Saconnex on Thursday nights - and they have skates and sticks available, no equipment needed. Posted an event for Thursday night for those interested.

Any hockey players still out there? This is a lonely place to be an NHL fan...

There's great full rink pick up games at the outdoor rink in Grand Saconnex on Thursday nights - and they have skates and sticks available, no equipment needed. Posted an event for Thursday night for those interested.

Greg P, Feb 18, 2015 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
27 Replies | 3363 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form