Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Moving to Geneva in January from London

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva in January from London

Dear All

I'll be moving to Geneva from London in January and I'm looking for suggestions on where to live and an actual place to live so if you can help in any way thank you very much

Best

Leo 

The text you are quoting:

Dear All

I'll be moving to Geneva from London in January and I'm looking for suggestions on where to live and an actual place to live so if you can help in any way thank you very much

Best

Leo 

Leo CriacoSep 30, 2015 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1057 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva in January from London
Post 1

As a first step, take a look at our “Classifieds” to see what’s available and also place your own ad.

Where you choose to live depends much on where you will be working, whether you will be travelling a lot, if you are alone, etc., etc.

Be prepared for a shortage of affordable housing though and beware of scams.

All the best, R.

As a first step, take a look at our “Classifieds” to see what’s available and also place your own ad.

Where you choose to live depends much on where you will be working, whether you will be travelling a lot, if you are alone, etc., etc.

Be prepared for a shortage of affordable housing though and beware of scams.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Sep 30, 2015 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Leo

I moved 3 weeks ago.

Here some feedback based on what i have learned while looking for a place:

- i wanted to live in the city although i know it can be cheaper to live in France or suburbs. I felt it was important for me to be closer to city center.

- carouge is gorgeous. When i asked my housing agency about living there they said the houses are pretty on the outside but may be out of shape on the inside. The area however is great.

- i chose to live in eaux vives. Great location and access. Close to the lake, shops, restaurants, etc. Buildings are gorgeous and there is always something to do. I do not regret at all my choice. 

Does this help? Let me know if i can help further.

Patricia

Hey Leo

I moved 3 weeks ago.

Here some feedback based on what i have learned while looking for a place:

- i wanted to live in the city although i know it can be cheaper to live in France or suburbs. I felt it was important for me to be closer to city center.

- carouge is gorgeous. When i asked my housing agency about living there they said the houses are pretty on the outside but may be out of shape on the inside. The area however is great.

- i chose to live in eaux vives. Great location and access. Close to the lake, shops, restaurants, etc. Buildings are gorgeous and there is always something to do. I do not regret at all my choice. 

Does this help? Let me know if i can help further.

Patricia

patricia m, Oct 10, 2015 @ 22:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Patricia

thank you very much for your feedback

it does help of course

i want to live in the city too, at least at the beginning

i am actually looking in eaux vives and plain palais - coming from london if i go to live in a place too quiet it might be a shock to me 

thank you again and see you in geneva perhaps :)

leo 

Hi Patricia

thank you very much for your feedback

it does help of course

i want to live in the city too, at least at the beginning

i am actually looking in eaux vives and plain palais - coming from london if i go to live in a place too quiet it might be a shock to me 

thank you again and see you in geneva perhaps :)

leo 

Leo Criaco, Oct 11, 2015 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yep.. my thoughts exactly. I know some people living in the vineayrds but i feel i would become unabomber in a week if i lived there

Yep.. my thoughts exactly. I know some people living in the vineayrds but i feel i would become unabomber in a week if i lived there

patricia m, Oct 11, 2015 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey Leo - just thought i'd reiterate Patricia's comments - I moved to Geneva several months ago, also from London. I had pretty much no clue about the different areas but ended up between Champel and Eaux-vives and really like it here. My second consideration was Plainpalais - it's right next to the Uni so fairly lively (for Geneva!) and some cheaper options for drinks/eateries.

Eaux-vive has some pretty decent bars/restaurants and a nice crowd.

Geneva is tiny though so everything is fairly close-by and the transport is very good and well connected so it doesnt take long to get anywhere!

Good luck!

Hey Leo - just thought i'd reiterate Patricia's comments - I moved to Geneva several months ago, also from London. I had pretty much no clue about the different areas but ended up between Champel and Eaux-vives and really like it here. My second consideration was Plainpalais - it's right next to the Uni so fairly lively (for Geneva!) and some cheaper options for drinks/eateries.

Eaux-vive has some pretty decent bars/restaurants and a nice crowd.

Geneva is tiny though so everything is fairly close-by and the transport is very good and well connected so it doesnt take long to get anywhere!

Good luck!

Giselle Smart, Oct 11, 2015 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Leo

i have the same dilemma! Moving in January. Let me know what you decide! Are you going out beforehand?

best

andy

Hi Leo

i have the same dilemma! Moving in January. Let me know what you decide! Are you going out beforehand?

best

andy

Andrew B, Oct 11, 2015 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Andrew

I'll be going there the first three weeks of November for work, so I'll use the free time to find a place, open a bank account, etc etc

For what I've gathered it's actually almost impossible to get a decent flat without going there and view flats with the agencies 

For sure I'll stay central to begin with. Well you know London, I live in Old st and work in Mayfair, and I walk one hour to work every day (great excercise, hate the tube), so I can live anywhere in Geneva and walk to work and it'll take me less anyway than what it takes me now. Piece of cake after 9 years in London. 

Good luck to you too then, perhaps if I hear about something that I feel it could be good for you I'll let you know

Hi Andrew

I'll be going there the first three weeks of November for work, so I'll use the free time to find a place, open a bank account, etc etc

For what I've gathered it's actually almost impossible to get a decent flat without going there and view flats with the agencies 

For sure I'll stay central to begin with. Well you know London, I live in Old st and work in Mayfair, and I walk one hour to work every day (great excercise, hate the tube), so I can live anywhere in Geneva and walk to work and it'll take me less anyway than what it takes me now. Piece of cake after 9 years in London. 

Good luck to you too then, perhaps if I hear about something that I feel it could be good for you I'll let you know

Leo Criaco, Oct 12, 2015 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi

I'm moving to London with my family in middle of Dec. I'm selling my furniture in case you need any. I have advertised under classified.

Having lived here for 5 yrs and having had a lot of difficulty finding a place to live I suggest that you start searching asap. I had to come 10 times to find a place to live.

Good Luck

Serra

Hi

I'm moving to London with my family in middle of Dec. I'm selling my furniture in case you need any. I have advertised under classified.

Having lived here for 5 yrs and having had a lot of difficulty finding a place to live I suggest that you start searching asap. I had to come 10 times to find a place to live.

Good Luck

Serra

serra a, Oct 13, 2015 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi 

Thanks but at the moment I don't need anything 

I'll be in Geneva for three weeks in November, i'll make sure to find something then!

Good luck in London, you'll love it

Leo 

Hi 

Thanks but at the moment I don't need anything 

I'll be in Geneva for three weeks in November, i'll make sure to find something then!

Good luck in London, you'll love it

Leo 

Leo Criaco, Oct 14, 2015 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1057 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form