Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Moving to Geneva soon need tips and advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva soon need tips and advice
 I am arriving at end September from the UK, my employers are advising on accomodatione etc.  However, I really would appreciate any advice on good places to live (with good transport to my place of work and not too expensive), places to eat, things to do and any guidance on "do's" and "don'ts".  I am old newbie (being just over 50), so all night parties are not my scene.  I prefer theatre, live entertainment, good food, good wine and travel.  I will need to improve my school boy french and will be looking for french classes and want to keep fit, (not excessively so!) and so any pointers on a good swimming pool and gymnasium would be helpful.  I will be working at the World Trade Centre and will be using public transport.

All comments welcome

Many thanks

Peter
The text you are quoting:
 I am arriving at end September from the UK, my employers are advising on accomodatione etc.  However, I really would appreciate any advice on good places to live (with good transport to my place of work and not too expensive), places to eat, things to do and any guidance on "do's" and "don'ts".  I am old newbie (being just over 50), so all night parties are not my scene.  I prefer theatre, live entertainment, good food, good wine and travel.  I will need to improve my school boy french and will be looking for french classes and want to keep fit, (not excessively so!) and so any pointers on a good swimming pool and gymnasium would be helpful.  I will be working at the World Trade Centre and will be using public transport.

All comments welcome

Many thanks

Peter
Peter FaulknerAug 16, 2009 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 6666 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva soon need tips and advice
Post 1
 Hi Peter,
       WTC is next to Geneva airport. So, if you wan to stay close to work, you should look for accomodation close to airport. Having said so, it's not easy to get accomodation at Geneva. If you want to stay close to all the transports, food, restaurants, fitness center etc, the Paquis area is the best. You can start looking at classifieds here at glocals.

Regards,
Sandip
 Hi Peter,
       WTC is next to Geneva airport. So, if you wan to stay close to work, you should look for accomodation close to airport. Having said so, it's not easy to get accomodation at Geneva. If you want to stay close to all the transports, food, restaurants, fitness center etc, the Paquis area is the best. You can start looking at classifieds here at glocals.

Regards,
Sandip
sandipdutta, Aug 16, 2009 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Hi Peter,
and welcome to Geneva (soon)! For accommodation as said Paquis is an area full of life, close to airport with all commodoties nearby. Max 10 min by public transports, which are very good here in Geneva, on time and frequent maybe a bit expensive compared to other places with it's 3 chf for one hour "free ride". But Paquis is also the "red light district" of Geneva, can be good to know with the different kind of people frequenting this area (unfortunately including drugdealers...).  You also have Servette and Charmilles wich are more residential = less restaurants and things happening in the evening. A bit further from down town are Grand and Petit Saconnex, which are still in a resaonable walking distance (20 min) to down town. Places in down town like Plainpalais, Jonction, Saint-Jean could also be interesting fo you. Homefinding is a nightmare in Geneva but I'm sure you'll end up finding something nice!
You can also have a look on homegate.ch and immostreet.ch for apts.
That was my contribution that I hope might make your settling in easy.
Cheers
Lisa
 Hi Peter,
and welcome to Geneva (soon)! For accommodation as said Paquis is an area full of life, close to airport with all commodoties nearby. Max 10 min by public transports, which are very good here in Geneva, on time and frequent maybe a bit expensive compared to other places with it's 3 chf for one hour "free ride". But Paquis is also the "red light district" of Geneva, can be good to know with the different kind of people frequenting this area (unfortunately including drugdealers...).  You also have Servette and Charmilles wich are more residential = less restaurants and things happening in the evening. A bit further from down town are Grand and Petit Saconnex, which are still in a resaonable walking distance (20 min) to down town. Places in down town like Plainpalais, Jonction, Saint-Jean could also be interesting fo you. Homefinding is a nightmare in Geneva but I'm sure you'll end up finding something nice!
You can also have a look on homegate.ch and immostreet.ch for apts.
That was my contribution that I hope might make your settling in easy.
Cheers
Lisa
Lisa K, Aug 18, 2009 @ 21:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hello Peter,

I would suggest a good place for you to live would be Grand Sacconex as it is quite a residential area and close (but not uncomfortably close) to the airport / WTC. If all night parties are not your scene then PLEASE avoid living in Paquis at all costs as it is so noisy you will never sleep without earplugs!!

Geneva is a relatively small place and you will find the best places to eat, drink, socialize, learn french, etc very quickly after you arrive. You will also discover the surrounding areas without much of a problem. Glocals is a mine of information in itself with a never ending supply of advisors on all aspects of Geneva life so fear not.

I work at the Grand Theatre in Geneva which is the opera house. So, if you're interested in opera you can get the inside track on that very easily.

If you want to indulge in fine wining and dining ie. above average ....just bring alot of money. Nothing is cheap around here!!

So, we'll see you when you get here.
Cheers, Nicola
 Hello Peter,

I would suggest a good place for you to live would be Grand Sacconex as it is quite a residential area and close (but not uncomfortably close) to the airport / WTC. If all night parties are not your scene then PLEASE avoid living in Paquis at all costs as it is so noisy you will never sleep without earplugs!!

Geneva is a relatively small place and you will find the best places to eat, drink, socialize, learn french, etc very quickly after you arrive. You will also discover the surrounding areas without much of a problem. Glocals is a mine of information in itself with a never ending supply of advisors on all aspects of Geneva life so fear not.

I work at the Grand Theatre in Geneva which is the opera house. So, if you're interested in opera you can get the inside track on that very easily.

If you want to indulge in fine wining and dining ie. above average ....just bring alot of money. Nothing is cheap around here!!

So, we'll see you when you get here.
Cheers, Nicola
Kola, Aug 18, 2009 @ 23:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 A huge thank you to both Lisa and Nicola,

Lots of good advice.  Just can't wait to get started.  I will let you know how I get on

Kind regards

Peter
 A huge thank you to both Lisa and Nicola,

Lots of good advice.  Just can't wait to get started.  I will let you know how I get on

Kind regards

Peter
Peter Faulkner, Aug 19, 2009 @ 00:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 Hello Peter,

when you are in Geneva, let me know...i have a full of good restaurants and places to advice you !! i'm in Geneva now for more than 7 years...
To keep fit, i'm actually working for one of the best fitness club in Geneva "Holmes Place" and i can give you some invitations to try it with friends before joining and i will give you as well special prices as you're a Glocals'member !!!
Don't hesitate to come back to me for any informations you need !!! it will be a pleasure to help you !

Have a nice evening,
and so ....Welcome to Geneva ! ;-)

Virginie
 Hello Peter,

when you are in Geneva, let me know...i have a full of good restaurants and places to advice you !! i'm in Geneva now for more than 7 years...
To keep fit, i'm actually working for one of the best fitness club in Geneva "Holmes Place" and i can give you some invitations to try it with friends before joining and i will give you as well special prices as you're a Glocals'member !!!
Don't hesitate to come back to me for any informations you need !!! it will be a pleasure to help you !

Have a nice evening,

Virginie
vir4070, Aug 19, 2009 @ 00:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 Hello Peter,

Have a nice evening,

Virginie
Aug 19, 09 00:34
 Hi Virginie!
Also moving to Geneva in September: would be interested to find good fitness club too!Some invitations and pricelist would be so welcome!!!!
Thanks,kasparainens
 Hi Virginie!
Also moving to Geneva in September: would be interested to find good fitness club too!Some invitations and pricelist would be so welcome!!!!
Thanks,kasparainens
kasparainens L, Aug 26, 2009 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
 Hi Peter and welcome,

Plainpalais is a great place to be, lots of cultural stuff to do, theatres and all that, and gorgeous parc de Bastions, where there are always cultural activities going on, not to mention the odd Glocals dance practice session and the weekly French language exchange.
You'll love it here, if you are back and forth to the U.K that is great but if not bring your favourite nibblies (and lots of them if your employers are paying for the move) not easy to get all your faves here :(

Anyway there is lots to explore and Glocals has a great bunch of friendly people to help out...you have landed on the best site for that...honest.

Welcome again...

Hi Peter and welcome,

Plainpalais is a great place to be, lots of cultural stuff to do, theatres and all that, and gorgeous parc de Bastions, where there are always cultural activities going on, not to mention the odd Glocals dance practice session and the weekly French language exchange.
You'll love it here, if you are back and forth to the U.K that is great but if not bring your favourite nibblies (and lots of them if your employers are paying for the move) not easy to get all your faves here :(

Anyway there is lots to explore and Glocals has a great bunch of friendly people to help out...you have landed on the best site for that...honest.

Welcome again...

bookworm, Aug 26, 2009 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
 I moved here 6 weeks ago, and in short, fags and public transport is cheaper in Geneva than London.  You soon get used to it.

Bring UK-Euro plug adapters, they work here and it seems impossible to get UK-Swiss ones.  I have tried what I think is every supermarket and electrical shop in Geneva.

Holmes Place in Rue de Rhone is a good gym. Tell the gym you want the discount, its only 30fr or so but if you ask you get it. 

When you arrive if you do not put your name on the letter box the post man will not deliver your mail. It caused me no end of problems with my bank card. UBS has an english translated site but the queues in thre city centre branch are terrible. Credit S is much better.

Buy a montly travel pass for 70fr.

Do not move to an Area called Paquis.  Its "vibrant" with loads of bars, night clubs, noisy. The SOHO type area of London.  For nice "west London" equivalent areas look at Champele, Aux-Vives, Collonge.  There maybe others but that is what I have discoverred so far.
Remember here living room and kitchen are both counted as rooms.  so a 1 bed will bedescribed as 3 pieces, 2 bed flat 4pieces. If you are unfortunate enough not to have a washing machine like me, do not use the communal one unless you want them shredded. I was pre-warned about this and in a lot of cases stands true. I found a cleaning lady who takes it away and returns them the next day no probs.

Hope this helps.
 I moved here 6 weeks ago, and in short, fags and public transport is cheaper in Geneva than London.  You soon get used to it.

Bring UK-Euro plug adapters, they work here and it seems impossible to get UK-Swiss ones.  I have tried what I think is every supermarket and electrical shop in Geneva.

Holmes Place in Rue de Rhone is a good gym. Tell the gym you want the discount, its only 30fr or so but if you ask you get it. 

When you arrive if you do not put your name on the letter box the post man will not deliver your mail. It caused me no end of problems with my bank card. UBS has an english translated site but the queues in thre city centre branch are terrible. Credit S is much better.

Buy a montly travel pass for 70fr.

Do not move to an Area called Paquis.  Its "vibrant" with loads of bars, night clubs, noisy. The SOHO type area of London.  For nice "west London" equivalent areas look at Champele, Aux-Vives, Collonge.  There maybe others but that is what I have discoverred so far.
Remember here living room and kitchen are both counted as rooms.  so a 1 bed will bedescribed as 3 pieces, 2 bed flat 4pieces. If you are unfortunate enough not to have a washing machine like me, do not use the communal one unless you want them shredded. I was pre-warned about this and in a lot of cases stands true. I found a cleaning lady who takes it away and returns them the next day no probs.

Hope this helps.
jamesscarff, Aug 29, 2009 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks for the advice and comments, especially Jamesscarff, some good points

Kind regards

Peter

Thanks for the advice and comments, especially Jamesscarff, some good points

Kind regards

Peter

Peter Faulkner, Aug 29, 2009 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
 Hi Peter!I found my apartment in Versoix with help from the Geneva Welcome Center:  http://www.cagi.ch/en/home.html  You can register there and recieve offers.
 Hi Peter!I found my apartment in Versoix with help from the Geneva Welcome Center:  http://www.cagi.ch/en/home.html  You can register there and recieve offers.
toit, Aug 29, 2009 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
 Link to a map of the public transportation:

http://www.tpg.ch/fr/horaires-et-reseau/plans-du-reseau/plan-general-reseau-tpg.php

Click on: Téléchargez le plan PDF

WTC is just south of the airport runaway. To give you an idea, it takes 23 minutes to go from 22 cantons (near the Cornavin train station) to WTC with the line # 10 (dark green).

Link to a map of the public transportation:

http://www.tpg.ch/fr/horaires-et-reseau/plans-du-reseau/plan-general-reseau-tpg.php

Click on: Téléchargez le plan PDF

WTC is just south of the airport runaway. To give you an idea, it takes 23 minutes to go from 22 cantons (near the Cornavin train station) to WTC with the line # 10 (dark green).

Casuistik, Aug 30, 2009 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
 And here is a timetable to give you an idea of the frequency of the buses (working days).

Previous post - kindly read runway... You'd be the runaway. Damn no edit button!

And here is a timetable to give you an idea of the frequency of the buses (working days).

Previous post - kindly read runway... You'd be the runaway. Damn no edit button!

Casuistik, Aug 30, 2009 @ 10:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
 Hi, i have just joined this forum myself; I have a man and a van delivery/collection service and do very regular trips from the UK to Geneva and in fact all over Switzerland and France (Alps regions too) .  If you need our services from single item to full relocation I can help.  A fully insured service.  see www.moveurstuff.co.uk My next trip outbound is set for the last week of September.  cheers Kev
 Hi, i have just joined this forum myself; I have a man and a van delivery/collection service and do very regular trips from the UK to Geneva and in fact all over Switzerland and France (Alps regions too) .  If you need our services from single item to full relocation I can help.  A fully insured service.  see www.moveurstuff.co.uk My next trip outbound is set for the last week of September.  cheers Kev
kevin oaten, Sep 10, 2009 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 6666 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form