Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Moving to Geneva with kids, how to get started

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneva with kids, how to get started

Hi everyone,

Happy to have joined glocals - I've been scouring the forums trying to find some information about getting settled in with kids, finding a flat, schools, and a full-time job around the corner.

I wanted to ask some advice. We are moving for my new, full-time job. But in applying to rent an apartment, it seems there might be a few problems.

1) I don't yet have my Carte de Legitimation, it takes a few months I think... but my organization did give me an employment attestation (with start date, permanent contract, and salary). Is this typical? Would an application like that likely be successful?

2) I didn't have a full-time job before the one I will have in Geneva. It was part-time (and mostly mom), living in London. So if I submit 3 months prior paystubs, I am not sure it will help us much. My new job salary is fine, but does anyone know if they base it solely off of that?

2b) my husband has his business in London and won't be able to move it for at least 6 months - year. Does that exclude him from a rental contract then? They won't consider his earnings if he doesnt come to live and work in Geneva?

3) Anything else that could help with a flat rental application in this case?

4) if we dont find a flat before mid-August, I am not sure how to deal with enrolling my 6-year old in a public school. If we get temp housing solution and it's in a different area, she will have to then change schools again when we find a permanent solution. Any advice?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to (hopefully) finding something soon.

K

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

Happy to have joined glocals - I've been scouring the forums trying to find some information about getting settled in with kids, finding a flat, schools, and a full-time job around the corner.

I wanted to ask some advice. We are moving for my new, full-time job. But in applying to rent an apartment, it seems there might be a few problems.

1) I don't yet have my Carte de Legitimation, it takes a few months I think... but my organization did give me an employment attestation (with start date, permanent contract, and salary). Is this typical? Would an application like that likely be successful?

2) I didn't have a full-time job before the one I will have in Geneva. It was part-time (and mostly mom), living in London. So if I submit 3 months prior paystubs, I am not sure it will help us much. My new job salary is fine, but does anyone know if they base it solely off of that?

2b) my husband has his business in London and won't be able to move it for at least 6 months - year. Does that exclude him from a rental contract then? They won't consider his earnings if he doesnt come to live and work in Geneva?

3) Anything else that could help with a flat rental application in this case?

4) if we dont find a flat before mid-August, I am not sure how to deal with enrolling my 6-year old in a public school. If we get temp housing solution and it's in a different area, she will have to then change schools again when we find a permanent solution. Any advice?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to (hopefully) finding something soon.

K

Kathryn CJul 3, 2015 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 850 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneva with kids, how to get started
Post 1

Do either of you have another passport - say EU?

If so, this would make life easier as you could live just over the border in France.

Do either of you have another passport - say EU?

If so, this would make life easier as you could live just over the border in France.

sheila c, Jul 6, 2015 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Moving to Geneva with kids, how to get started
Post 2

Hello Katt, check this out this http://ge.ch/integration/media/integration/files/documents/bienvenue_anglais_a4.pdf

Hello Katt, check this out this http://ge.ch/integration/media/integration/files/documents/bienvenue_anglais_a4.pdf

gabito, Jul 6, 2015 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 850 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form