Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New in Switzerland

Hi everyone,

So I've been living in Switzerland since about six months now, and I would love to be able to get established here. Although I have a lot of working experience (I'm 33) both as a waitress, working in retail and costumer service, and as an educated social worker with a university degree, I still can't seem to get a job. I've moved here for the love of my life who is swiss, and we're trying to get our life started... I'm despairing a bit. I'm on the path trying to learn german but it will take at least until the summer to be at a level which most employers are requiring. If I don't get a job until the beginning of the summer I have to move back to Sweden and that would break my heart. 

I don't know if it's ok to write a job post here, admin can remove it if it's not ok to do so. I was just wondering if anybody knows of something, maybe where english and/ or swedish would be assets, or something else. We currently live in Grenchen but as soon as I get a job we're going to move. I scout indeed.ch, jobs.ch, linkedin, and facebook groups daily. 

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

So I've been living in Switzerland since about six months now, and I would love to be able to get established here. Although I have a lot of working experience (I'm 33) both as a waitress, working in retail and costumer service, and as an educated social worker with a university degree, I still can't seem to get a job. I've moved here for the love of my life who is swiss, and we're trying to get our life started... I'm despairing a bit. I'm on the path trying to learn german but it will take at least until the summer to be at a level which most employers are requiring. If I don't get a job until the beginning of the summer I have to move back to Sweden and that would break my heart. 

I don't know if it's ok to write a job post here, admin can remove it if it's not ok to do so. I was just wondering if anybody knows of something, maybe where english and/ or swedish would be assets, or something else. We currently live in Grenchen but as soon as I get a job we're going to move. I scout indeed.ch, jobs.ch, linkedin, and facebook groups daily. 

Elin EngdahlJan 5, 2017 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 930 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New in Switzerland
Post 1

I'm also looking for people for making music together :)  I'm an amateur singer and would love to join a band or other musical projects. Listen to some of my recordings at www.soundcloud.com/elin-engdahl at send me a message if you're interested.

I'm also looking for people for making music together :)  I'm an amateur singer and would love to join a band or other musical projects. Listen to some of my recordings at www.soundcloud.com/elin-engdahl at send me a message if you're interested.

Elin Engdahl, Jan 5, 2017 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: New in Switzerland
Post 2

Hi everyone,

Jan 5, 17 09:56

As a start, get working on your German.  The sooner you are reasonably fluent, the better your chances.

Meantime, put up notices in your local Coop, Migros, Denner, etc., offering to baby-sit, dog-walk, give language lessons, help with household chores, shopping etc.  Such “jobs” may only bring in a little cash but they widen your contacts and they can lead to something more lucrative.  Another possibility is to get in touch with the mainstream charities to see if your social work and linguistic skills are needed, even if only as a volunteer.  Again, this can sometimes lead to an opportunity.

You could also check the Nordic groups on glocals to ask for tips and, lastly, what about IKEA and other Swedish companies established in CH?  You might be able to get a list of these from the Swedish-Swiss Chamber of Commerce.

All the very best, R.

As a start, get working on your German.  The sooner you are reasonably fluent, the better your chances.

Meantime, put up notices in your local Coop, Migros, Denner, etc., offering to baby-sit, dog-walk, give language lessons, help with household chores, shopping etc.  Such “jobs” may only bring in a little cash but they widen your contacts and they can lead to something more lucrative.  Another possibility is to get in touch with the mainstream charities to see if your social work and linguistic skills are needed, even if only as a volunteer.  Again, this can sometimes lead to an opportunity.

You could also check the Nordic groups on glocals to ask for tips and, lastly, what about IKEA and other Swedish companies established in CH?  You might be able to get a list of these from the Swedish-Swiss Chamber of Commerce.

All the very best, R.

Ritchie, Jan 5, 2017 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 930 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form