Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New in town from the UK...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New in town from the UK...

Hi!

Just thought I would say Hi and find out what this site is all about? Been here just over a week and, for the most part, enjoying it. I just need to find some kind of social life...oh and a decent apartment! (I never knew flat hunting could be so tough).

Any survival hints/tips welcomed.

Chris

:)

The text you are quoting:

Hi!

Just thought I would say Hi and find out what this site is all about? Been here just over a week and, for the most part, enjoying it. I just need to find some kind of social life...oh and a decent apartment! (I never knew flat hunting could be so tough).

Any survival hints/tips welcomed.

Chris

:)

Chris SJul 7, 2010 @ 11:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 699 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New in town from the UK...
Post 1

Social life - that's what this site is all about! :-) Join an activity, organize one yourself - it can be as simple as going to the movies or having a walk or a coffee. And if you speak a bit of French, there are tons of groups and associations around, so it's actually possible to meet "local people" (even if most expats will tell you it's "impossible") :-)

Social life - that's what this site is all about! :-) Join an activity, organize one yourself - it can be as simple as going to the movies or having a walk or a coffee. And if you speak a bit of French, there are tons of groups and associations around, so it's actually possible to meet "local people" (even if most expats will tell you it's "impossible") :-)

eva77, Jul 7, 2010 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Eva,

Learning French is high on my list of things to do. Although when I say high, I mean after finding somewhere to live, organising health insurance etc etc etc.

:0)

Hi Eva,

Learning French is high on my list of things to do. Although when I say high, I mean after finding somewhere to live, organising health insurance etc etc etc.

:0)

Chris S, Jul 7, 2010 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oh yeah, the "somewhere to live" is this tiny tiny detail... ;-) health insurance is definitely easier (everything here is easier than finding housing) :-)

good luck!

Oh yeah, the "somewhere to live" is this tiny tiny detail... ;-) health insurance is definitely easier (everything here is easier than finding housing) :-)

good luck!

eva77, Jul 8, 2010 @ 18:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey Chris

Hows the French going......really makes a difference when you try i find.

Rosetta stone is brilliant software that helps.

But if you get bored of half speaking french and constant misunderstandings and need a friendly English voice then drop me a line.

Ciao

Helen

Hey Chris

Hows the French going......really makes a difference when you try i find.

Rosetta stone is brilliant software that helps.

But if you get bored of half speaking french and constant misunderstandings and need a friendly English voice then drop me a line.

Ciao

Helen

Helen L, Jul 12, 2010 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Heyi Helen,

The French has practically ground to a halt, I have been using the Michel Thomas CDs which are excellent too.  I just need a break from hjs voice every now and then.

How are things with you? Getting anywhere with the study?

Chris

Heyi Helen,

The French has practically ground to a halt, I have been using the Michel Thomas CDs which are excellent too.  I just need a break from hjs voice every now and then.

How are things with you? Getting anywhere with the study?

Chris

Chris S, Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi chris

yes the study is going great.......the new mac book i bought for the discs is brilliant........he he shame i forget to study lol.....

I have to speak french at work so immersing yourself helps and having a few key phrases keeps you going. its all the little words and the grammer i get lost on but hey thats the beauty of learning something new i guess.

Hi chris

yes the study is going great.......the new mac book i bought for the discs is brilliant........he he shame i forget to study lol.....

I have to speak french at work so immersing yourself helps and having a few key phrases keeps you going. its all the little words and the grammer i get lost on but hey thats the beauty of learning something new i guess.

Helen L, Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Haha, being led astray by shiny new technology? MAC's are lovely things.

My company is all English speaking so there isn't any pressure but still, to feel even remotely integrated its going to be very important. 

Its all the masculine / feminine stuff that gets me, oh and that I'm less than useless at languages. Still its a challenge and challenge is always a good thing!

Haha, being led astray by shiny new technology? MAC's are lovely things.

My company is all English speaking so there isn't any pressure but still, to feel even remotely integrated its going to be very important. 

Its all the masculine / feminine stuff that gets me, oh and that I'm less than useless at languages. Still its a challenge and challenge is always a good thing!

Chris S, Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 699 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form