Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Fribourg and not that kean on cheese?! Survival Tips?!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Fribourg and not that kean on cheese?! Survival Tips?!

Hello

I'm Caitlin. Im half English half New Yorker and I've just completed my masters in International Relations and Communications with a focus on Social Media. But I moved to Fribourg to be with my Swiss boyfriend. So while I work on my french I was hoping to teach a bit of English privately and also walk some dogs. I LOVE DOGS! I also want to start an online 'paw-tisserie' and dog coat boutique...

My boyfriend is slightly anti this idea as he says Swiss people tend not to be as dog mad as we are....

http://happyswisshounds.wordpress.com/our-happy-hounds/

Also do Swiss people ever eat meals without butter, cream, cheese or milk?

The text you are quoting:

Hello

I'm Caitlin. Im half English half New Yorker and I've just completed my masters in International Relations and Communications with a focus on Social Media. But I moved to Fribourg to be with my Swiss boyfriend. So while I work on my french I was hoping to teach a bit of English privately and also walk some dogs. I LOVE DOGS! I also want to start an online 'paw-tisserie' and dog coat boutique...

My boyfriend is slightly anti this idea as he says Swiss people tend not to be as dog mad as we are....

http://happyswisshounds.wordpress.com/our-happy-hounds/

Also do Swiss people ever eat meals without butter, cream, cheese or milk?

Caitlin BellJan 26, 2011 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 622 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Fribourg and not that kean on cheese?! Survival Tips?!
Post 1

Well, living in Fribourg you might have noticed a certain number of cows out there... explains the fact that our diet is very much based on milk products! :-) But seriously, a few decades ago people used to eat much more cheese &co than meat - meat has always been expensive (my grandmother used to eat it once a week on Sundays when she was young...). And given that the combination on potatoes and cheese is pretty much equivalent in protein quality than meat, this explains quite a bit about our traditional diet! But don't worry, with a bit of practice you'll eat that fondue in a couple of months :-)

Good luck with your dog business. It's true that when I travelled through the US last year I was just amazed at the amount of shops with dog clothes, books for dog cakes etc... never seen anything like this before. To be honest many people here tend to find this stuff rather ridiculous but you never know, they might start liking it once you've started your business!

Welcome! :-)

Well, living in Fribourg you might have noticed a certain number of cows out there... explains the fact that our diet is very much based on milk products! :-) But seriously, a few decades ago people used to eat much more cheese &co than meat - meat has always been expensive (my grandmother used to eat it once a week on Sundays when she was young...). And given that the combination on potatoes and cheese is pretty much equivalent in protein quality than meat, this explains quite a bit about our traditional diet! But don't worry, with a bit of practice you'll eat that fondue in a couple of months :-)

Good luck with your dog business. It's true that when I travelled through the US last year I was just amazed at the amount of shops with dog clothes, books for dog cakes etc... never seen anything like this before. To be honest many people here tend to find this stuff rather ridiculous but you never know, they might start liking it once you've started your business!

Welcome! :-)

eva77, Jan 27, 2011 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Are all those dogs yours? All four of them?

Love the idea of your business plans but I think your boyfriend might have a point. They don't seem to do poochy pampering as much here. Although I have seen the odd dog out wearing a coat in the snow! Maybe you could start a new trend over here. 

How are you liking Fribourg? We visited for the day over the Christmas holidays and I really liked it.

Are all those dogs yours? All four of them?

Love the idea of your business plans but I think your boyfriend might have a point. They don't seem to do poochy pampering as much here. Although I have seen the odd dog out wearing a coat in the snow! Maybe you could start a new trend over here. 

How are you liking Fribourg? We visited for the day over the Christmas holidays and I really liked it.

Colette D, Jan 27, 2011 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Milk is even integrated into foodstuffs in innovative ways:

Exhibit a) adding milk to chocolate to make it milk chocolate is a Swiss invention

Exhibit b) Rivella - a sweet, sparkling, and, most surprisingly of all, popular, soft drink made from milk serum (I assume that means whey)!

This is a good thing, when you have a quality local product then make the most out of it. Also, I LOVE CHEESE! You should try to get into it, a wonderful world will open up.

On the dog side of things, I don't know about Fribourg but in Zürich there are some doggie salons and a lot of very well groomed dogs around, so there may be a market.

Milk is even integrated into foodstuffs in innovative ways:

Exhibit a) adding milk to chocolate to make it milk chocolate is a Swiss invention

Exhibit b) Rivella - a sweet, sparkling, and, most surprisingly of all, popular, soft drink made from milk serum (I assume that means whey)!

This is a good thing, when you have a quality local product then make the most out of it. Also, I LOVE CHEESE! You should try to get into it, a wonderful world will open up.

On the dog side of things, I don't know about Fribourg but in Zürich there are some doggie salons and a lot of very well groomed dogs around, so there may be a market.

rich_t, Jan 27, 2011 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oh, this was a new member introduction, sorry, I should add: welcome to Switzerland and Glocals!

Oh, this was a new member introduction, sorry, I should add: welcome to Switzerland and Glocals!

rich_t, Jan 27, 2011 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey everybody thanks for responding!!!

Rich the Rivella thing makes SO MUCH SENSE!!! I couldn't figure out why I don't like it?!!!! I often think I should have been born somewhere along the pacific rim where they have more coconut milk than actual milk.

Fribourg is beautiful. Certain things are a bit bizarre for me. Like why all the shops shut so early and at 4pm on Saturday and never open on Sunday. I seem to see a lot of people in petrol stations buying supermarket stuff?

Actually only one of the dogs is mine... Buster - he's a clumber spaniel and he's in England with my dad right now. The other dogs I used to take care of, in the UK and in NYC. If I could make a living off of dog walking, dog  treat baking and dog couture alone I would be the happiest person in the world!

I'll keep you updated on how it goes with the cheese consumption and with doggery stuff.

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

Hey everybody thanks for responding!!!

Rich the Rivella thing makes SO MUCH SENSE!!! I couldn't figure out why I don't like it?!!!! I often think I should have been born somewhere along the pacific rim where they have more coconut milk than actual milk.

Fribourg is beautiful. Certain things are a bit bizarre for me. Like why all the shops shut so early and at 4pm on Saturday and never open on Sunday. I seem to see a lot of people in petrol stations buying supermarket stuff?

Actually only one of the dogs is mine... Buster - he's a clumber spaniel and he's in England with my dad right now. The other dogs I used to take care of, in the UK and in NYC. If I could make a living off of dog walking, dog  treat baking and dog couture alone I would be the happiest person in the world!

I'll keep you updated on how it goes with the cheese consumption and with doggery stuff.

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

Caitlin Bell, Jan 27, 2011 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Ohh and if you want to subscribe to my blog

HAPPY SWISS HOUNDS for doggie related alerts - video clips, tips, baked treats, couture, favourite doggie walking spots, hot dog topics

you now can

http://happyswisshounds.wordpress.com/

facebook page coming soon!!!

Ohh and if you want to subscribe to my blog

HAPPY SWISS HOUNDS for doggie related alerts - video clips, tips, baked treats, couture, favourite doggie walking spots, hot dog topics

you now can

http://happyswisshounds.wordpress.com/

facebook page coming soon!!!

Caitlin Bell, Jan 27, 2011 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Two birds, one stone: eat the dogs...

Two birds, one stone: eat the dogs...

Casuistik, Jan 27, 2011 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 622 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form