Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Geneva.... Need to find a job!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva.... Need to find a job!

My name is Joseph I recently moved to Geneva and I love the city!  Warm and Friendly people!  I need work, I've been looking on the job boards and I really need to find work soon.  

I am an HR professional and have 10+ years of Senior Management experience.  I would be very grateful of anyone can suggest any contacts to get the search moving into a more active state.

Cheers!

Joseph

The text you are quoting:

My name is Joseph I recently moved to Geneva and I love the city!  Warm and Friendly people!  I need work, I've been looking on the job boards and I really need to find work soon.  

I am an HR professional and have 10+ years of Senior Management experience.  I would be very grateful of anyone can suggest any contacts to get the search moving into a more active state.

Cheers!

Joseph

Joseph RaileyFeb 2, 2017 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 2800 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva.... Need to find a job!
Post 1

Hi Joseph, Hope you find one soon! Try jobup and indeed as a start ! Also recreate every cover letter when applying. May i ask if you are coming from a EU country or elsewhere ?

Hi Joseph, Hope you find one soon! Try jobup and indeed as a start ! Also recreate every cover letter when applying. May i ask if you are coming from a EU country or elsewhere ?

Nas Johnson, Feb 3, 2017 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Nas,  hope this finds you well and ready to enjoy some weeksend fun!  Thanks for the tips. Where are you from orginally?

Thanks Nas,  hope this finds you well and ready to enjoy some weeksend fun!  Thanks for the tips. Where are you from orginally?

Joseph Railey, Feb 3, 2017 @ 13:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Joseph,

I find that some of the best jobs are in the UN system:

https://careers.un.org/jobopenings/

You can also look in the websites of individual UN agencies, WHO, ILO, etc.

As for housing, consider looking on the French side of the border. Quiet surroundings, better prices, food and everything else is cheaper, and you are in the center of Geneva in 15 minutes.

To find out where someone like Nas is from, click on his name and go to his profile.

Hi Joseph,

I find that some of the best jobs are in the UN system:

https://careers.un.org/jobopenings/

You can also look in the websites of individual UN agencies, WHO, ILO, etc.

As for housing, consider looking on the French side of the border. Quiet surroundings, better prices, food and everything else is cheaper, and you are in the center of Geneva in 15 minutes.

To find out where someone like Nas is from, click on his name and go to his profile.

JR M, Feb 3, 2017 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Joseph, 

unfortunately, I have nothing to propose you, I am in the same situation...Graduated in Linguistics and Communciation studies in 2015, I had an internship at ITU, Geneva, from Feb till July 2016 and since that time I have been desperately looking for a new challange...I speak fluently English, French, Russian and Portuguese, have a good aptitude for Spanish and German and have a couple of years of experience in Communication, Publications, Admin. support and Teaching in Switzerland... it's tough...Good luck, Best regards.

Hi Joseph, 

unfortunately, I have nothing to propose you, I am in the same situation...Graduated in Linguistics and Communciation studies in 2015, I had an internship at ITU, Geneva, from Feb till July 2016 and since that time I have been desperately looking for a new challange...I speak fluently English, French, Russian and Portuguese, have a good aptitude for Spanish and German and have a couple of years of experience in Communication, Publications, Admin. support and Teaching in Switzerland... it's tough...Good luck, Best regards.

Khrystyna Mytsak, Feb 3, 2017 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

First, what kind of permit do you have ?  Is it tied to your spouse’s/partner’s job?

Are you at ease in French?  If not, start classes straight away.  Also, consider voluntary work.  Together these two endeavours will help to give you the feel of the place and even if they don’t in themselves lead to a job offer they will at least demonstrate on your CV that you are someone who wants to wants to integrate.

Sadly, not being an EU national will do you no favours, so contacting the UN agencies and the many NGOs in Geneva could lead to an offer.  Even if it’s only a temporary assignment, it still adds to your local experience.

In any cvent, don’t give up hope or trying.  Tenacity has helped thousands of others to land a decent job and really settle in.

Meanwhile, to help pass the time, think of using the small ads (e.g., glocals Classifieds, supermarket notice boards, etc.) to offer dog walking, gardening,window cleaning, English lessons, etc.  Very often who you know is as important as what you know in these parts.

All the best, R.

First, what kind of permit do you have ?  Is it tied to your spouse’s/partner’s job?

Are you at ease in French?  If not, start classes straight away.  Also, consider voluntary work.  Together these two endeavours will help to give you the feel of the place and even if they don’t in themselves lead to a job offer they will at least demonstrate on your CV that you are someone who wants to wants to integrate.

Sadly, not being an EU national will do you no favours, so contacting the UN agencies and the many NGOs in Geneva could lead to an offer.  Even if it’s only a temporary assignment, it still adds to your local experience.

In any cvent, don’t give up hope or trying.  Tenacity has helped thousands of others to land a decent job and really settle in.

Meanwhile, to help pass the time, think of using the small ads (e.g., glocals Classifieds, supermarket notice boards, etc.) to offer dog walking, gardening,window cleaning, English lessons, etc.  Very often who you know is as important as what you know in these parts.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Feb 4, 2017 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Ritchie

Does it mean that if ur permit is tied to a spouse's job then are not allowed to work?

Jenny

Hi Ritchie

Does it mean that if ur permit is tied to a spouse's job then are not allowed to work?

Jenny

Jenny W, Feb 4, 2017 @ 02:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Ritchie

Jenny

Feb 4, 17 02:52

No but if you read the news and following the political situation in Switzerland - just like in many other countries - preference goes for the citizens of the country.  3rd country nationals (this does not mean 3rd world just simply means non-Swiss, non-EU) are finding eve more difficult to find a new job. They are becoming more and more protective.

Switzerland`s economy partially has been based on the global/regional headquarters arriving in Switzerland due to the favourable tax rulings those also required certain number of highly paid jobs to be created in Switzerland.

Again, if you follow the news, you might be aware of that the landscape in this regard has changed significantlly and while 5-10 years ago companies were floating into Switzerland, today most of them are leaving or moving jobs into low cost locations.

Obviously it did not help that the Swiss frank became extremely expensive at the same time.

Many people are on the market with various experiences but many companies are looking to employ only young people with a few yrs of experience as they are not prepared to pay.

If I recall it well, the foreign owned multinational headquarters offer around 150 000 jobs in Switzerland. In comparison Geneve there are  around 200 000 people.

In addition, there is the Swiss vision that an employee around 40-45 is becoming old!!!

So whether we like it or not, you need be lucky to find a job especially if you are ntn Swiss or not an EU national. (Even for us EU nationals the situation is becoming more difficult).

UN is also playing the game of trying to get unnpaid interms as much as they can. Many countries are trying to cut their UN budget including US.

Coming back to the job search - you need to keep on looking on a daily basis, and have to get used to the idea that on a small martket with loads of great professionals with great experience, you  face great competition and HR is often only inviting you for an interview if you really fit the bill.

For example: company runs on SAP, even if you have experience with other ERP-systems and could easily learn how to use SAP, they will only invite people with SAP experience even if HR position! 

There is very little tolerance as they have too many applicants.

So finding a job these days can take up to 6-9-12 months depending on the field.

Having some contacts can help but does not guarantee a job.

There have been many posts before on job search tactics here on glocals. So if you do a search on the forum, you will find many tips like websites, agencies etc.

Ps. Agencies are not doing a search for you but you need to chaise them in reality....and you have to invest a lot of time into the job search and have to keep on doing it even if there is no reply or very few replies week after week for a long time

Good luck!

No but if you read the news and following the political situation in Switzerland - just like in many other countries - preference goes for the citizens of the country.  3rd country nationals (this does not mean 3rd world just simply means non-Swiss, non-EU) are finding eve more difficult to find a new job. They are becoming more and more protective.

Switzerland`s economy partially has been based on the global/regional headquarters arriving in Switzerland due to the favourable tax rulings those also required certain number of highly paid jobs to be created in Switzerland.

Again, if you follow the news, you might be aware of that the landscape in this regard has changed significantlly and while 5-10 years ago companies were floating into Switzerland, today most of them are leaving or moving jobs into low cost locations.

Obviously it did not help that the Swiss frank became extremely expensive at the same time.

Many people are on the market with various experiences but many companies are looking to employ only young people with a few yrs of experience as they are not prepared to pay.

If I recall it well, the foreign owned multinational headquarters offer around 150 000 jobs in Switzerland. In comparison Geneve there are  around 200 000 people.

In addition, there is the Swiss vision that an employee around 40-45 is becoming old!!!

So whether we like it or not, you need be lucky to find a job especially if you are ntn Swiss or not an EU national. (Even for us EU nationals the situation is becoming more difficult).

UN is also playing the game of trying to get unnpaid interms as much as they can. Many countries are trying to cut their UN budget including US.

Coming back to the job search - you need to keep on looking on a daily basis, and have to get used to the idea that on a small martket with loads of great professionals with great experience, you  face great competition and HR is often only inviting you for an interview if you really fit the bill.

For example: company runs on SAP, even if you have experience with other ERP-systems and could easily learn how to use SAP, they will only invite people with SAP experience even if HR position! 

There is very little tolerance as they have too many applicants.

So finding a job these days can take up to 6-9-12 months depending on the field.

Having some contacts can help but does not guarantee a job.

There have been many posts before on job search tactics here on glocals. So if you do a search on the forum, you will find many tips like websites, agencies etc.

Ps. Agencies are not doing a search for you but you need to chaise them in reality....and you have to invest a lot of time into the job search and have to keep on doing it even if there is no reply or very few replies week after week for a long time

Good luck!

Reka Y, Feb 4, 2017 @ 05:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Remove Thanks
! Report to Admin
Post 8

While you should do a broad search, the reasons I am suggesting looking at UN agencies and international organizations are:

1. Language. If your French is not great, or at least, your native language is English, you will have a better chance with the UN, as their official language is English.

2. They have large workforces, thus, they have correspondingly sizable HR departments to tend to their needs, not only hire new personnel.

3. Their personnel is often hired with 2 year contracts. For applicants, from multiple countries, it is an opportunity to pad up their resume and build networks, so many do not stay for long periods. Hence, the HR departments are frequently hiring.

4. UN HR departments have to process a large number of applications, since they are very coveted positions for applicants from all over the world.

Some of the private multinationals based in the area also may have large workforces and English is an asset with them, but they probably expect you to be fluent in French.

While you should do a broad search, the reasons I am suggesting looking at UN agencies and international organizations are:

1. Language. If your French is not great, or at least, your native language is English, you will have a better chance with the UN, as their official language is English.

2. They have large workforces, thus, they have correspondingly sizable HR departments to tend to their needs, not only hire new personnel.

3. Their personnel is often hired with 2 year contracts. For applicants, from multiple countries, it is an opportunity to pad up their resume and build networks, so many do not stay for long periods. Hence, the HR departments are frequently hiring.

4. UN HR departments have to process a large number of applications, since they are very coveted positions for applicants from all over the world.

Some of the private multinationals based in the area also may have large workforces and English is an asset with them, but they probably expect you to be fluent in French.

JR M, Feb 4, 2017 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Feb 4, 17 14:31

May I add that, to the best of my knowledge English is only one of the present five official languages of the United Nations and the specialized agencies.  In alphabetical order, these are:

Arabic, Chinese, English, French, and Spanish.

However, when it comes to job opportunities, it should also be remembered that the native speakers of these five languages may be nationals of many different countries.  For example,

an English-speaking candidate may be an Indian or an African or a New Zealander.

Similarly, a native Spanish-speaking candidate may be a national of one of the many South American countries.

Also to be remembered is the fact that the principle of geographical distribution of posts is also a factor that has to be  taken into consideration in the selection of candidates for a staff position.

May I add that, to the best of my knowledge English is only one of the present five official languages of the United Nations and the specialized agencies.  In alphabetical order, these are:

Arabic, Chinese, English, French, and Spanish.

However, when it comes to job opportunities, it should also be remembered that the native speakers of these five languages may be nationals of many different countries.  For example,

an English-speaking candidate may be an Indian or an African or a New Zealander.

Similarly, a native Spanish-speaking candidate may be a national of one of the many South American countries.

Also to be remembered is the fact that the principle of geographical distribution of posts is also a factor that has to be  taken into consideration in the selection of candidates for a staff position.

Ritchie, Feb 4, 2017 @ 20:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I am half jamaican half british . I moved from england. 

www.jobsingeneva.com
www.thelocal.ch/jobs
www.jobup.ch
www.indeed.ch
www.jobeo.ch/IT
www.edelway.ch ‎
www. neuvoo.ch
www.jobs.ch

I am half jamaican half british . I moved from england. 

www.jobsingeneva.com
www.thelocal.ch/jobs
www.jobup.ch
www.indeed.ch
www.jobeo.ch/IT
www.edelway.ch ‎
www. neuvoo.ch
www.jobs.ch

Nas Johnson, Feb 5, 2017 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Everyone.  I found this post useful Joseph so thank you for making it.  I have been in Geneva for 1.5 years, my wife is at the WHO however her contract ends in August.  She is a US trained physician and has a good job prospect at HUG.  I am an IT Business Analyst working for an American company, and I am lucky to be able to work from home here in Geneva.  We have decided that we'd really liek to stay here in Geneva and part of that plan is me looking for work here.  By any chance do any of you have any tips specific to the Information Technology industry?

Hi Everyone.  I found this post useful Joseph so thank you for making it.  I have been in Geneva for 1.5 years, my wife is at the WHO however her contract ends in August.  She is a US trained physician and has a good job prospect at HUG.  I am an IT Business Analyst working for an American company, and I am lucky to be able to work from home here in Geneva.  We have decided that we'd really liek to stay here in Geneva and part of that plan is me looking for work here.  By any chance do any of you have any tips specific to the Information Technology industry?

Nathan Quintanilla, Feb 5, 2017 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thank you all for  your comments, very rich information. I have a permit B tied to my husband, with a possibility to work. My husband has a permit C but since I'm Ukrainian and it's true, it is considered as it was a 3rd world, unfortunately, I have to wait some time in order to have the same one. I know it does not help me at all and maybe it's the very reason I can't have successful results. 

My French is better than my English since I studied at the University in Lausanne in French and a bit in English.  

I had worked for ITU as an intern, so unpaid, during 5 months and after that I had no right to apply for any job opportunities for 6 months...so from now on I can officially apply...what I'am doing...but I am rather pessimistic, I was told HR receive over 600 applications per job and if no one puts yours above others, the chances are equal to 0... 

Well I try not to loose hope but I've been looking for a job since September 2016 (I know it's not too long)...I had some interviews but without success. For instance, jobs like secretary or admin support, they say I'm overqualified, the resson why I'm not selected...for others, Nestle or Philip Morris (my dream jobs), I don't have 10 years of experience..etc...so a bit sad...

Anyway, thank you all for your information and support.

Best, Khrystyna

Thank you all for  your comments, very rich information. I have a permit B tied to my husband, with a possibility to work. My husband has a permit C but since I'm Ukrainian and it's true, it is considered as it was a 3rd world, unfortunately, I have to wait some time in order to have the same one. I know it does not help me at all and maybe it's the very reason I can't have successful results. 

My French is better than my English since I studied at the University in Lausanne in French and a bit in English.  

I had worked for ITU as an intern, so unpaid, during 5 months and after that I had no right to apply for any job opportunities for 6 months...so from now on I can officially apply...what I'am doing...but I am rather pessimistic, I was told HR receive over 600 applications per job and if no one puts yours above others, the chances are equal to 0... 

Well I try not to loose hope but I've been looking for a job since September 2016 (I know it's not too long)...I had some interviews but without success. For instance, jobs like secretary or admin support, they say I'm overqualified, the resson why I'm not selected...for others, Nestle or Philip Morris (my dream jobs), I don't have 10 years of experience..etc...so a bit sad...

Anyway, thank you all for your information and support.

Best, Khrystyna

Khrystyna Mytsak, Feb 5, 2017 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Joseph.

Welcome to Geneva and to Switzerland.

The first question, what is your permit situation in Geneva? ...and after that we can talk about finding a job in Geneva.

And just for the record, I work in HR.

Thank you - and a have a good Sunday evening.

Hi Joseph.

Welcome to Geneva and to Switzerland.

The first question, what is your permit situation in Geneva? ...and after that we can talk about finding a job in Geneva.

And just for the record, I work in HR.

Thank you - and a have a good Sunday evening.

SWISS, Feb 5, 2017 @ 21:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Ritchie, you forgot about Russian as official UN language

Kirill_GE, Feb 5, 2017 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Feb 5, 17 21:15

Mea culpa, so I did!  I’m well aware that Russian is very important in UN and can only imagine that I inadvertently deleted “Russian” where re-reading my post, although that is no real excuse.  My Russian-speaking friends will never let me live this one down, so please what can I do to make amends?

Mea culpa, so I did!  I’m well aware that Russian is very important in UN and can only imagine that I inadvertently deleted “Russian” where re-reading my post, although that is no real excuse.  My Russian-speaking friends will never let me live this one down, so please what can I do to make amends?

Ritchie, Feb 5, 2017 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Ritchie and Kirill, you are refering to official languages for intergovernmental (or member states) communications, documents and translations offered at meetings. That is not the same as the offical WORKING languages. Those used on a daily basis by employees in UN agencies. For Joseph's purposes, who is looking, in fact, for an administrative job in Human Resources, the official working languages in Geneva's UN agencies are English and French. Period. And you will find out, if you work in one of them or deal with any of them, that English is the language everyone speaks. Please do not confuse Joseph.

As Krystyna points out, they get hundreds of applications for each open position, from qualified people around the world, from all their member states. But that is good news if you are looking for a job in human resources, as Joseph is, as their HR offices have a lot of work to do. And they do not get as many applications for HR positions. For professionals in Health, Communications, Environment, International Relations, Meterorology, Labor, etc, a UN job in Geneva (for two or a few years) is a very coveted way to advance their careers in their country of origin. For HR people, it is not the case. They are still competitive but no more so than HR positions elsewhere in Geneva.

Representation of member states (country of origin) in the workforce is taken in account for professional, technical or managerial positions. That is, policy making positions. Rarely for administrative positions.

Ritchie and Kirill, you are refering to official languages for intergovernmental (or member states) communications, documents and translations offered at meetings. That is not the same as the offical WORKING languages. Those used on a daily basis by employees in UN agencies. For Joseph's purposes, who is looking, in fact, for an administrative job in Human Resources, the official working languages in Geneva's UN agencies are English and French. Period. And you will find out, if you work in one of them or deal with any of them, that English is the language everyone speaks. Please do not confuse Joseph.

As Krystyna points out, they get hundreds of applications for each open position, from qualified people around the world, from all their member states. But that is good news if you are looking for a job in human resources, as Joseph is, as their HR offices have a lot of work to do. And they do not get as many applications for HR positions. For professionals in Health, Communications, Environment, International Relations, Meterorology, Labor, etc, a UN job in Geneva (for two or a few years) is a very coveted way to advance their careers in their country of origin. For HR people, it is not the case. They are still competitive but no more so than HR positions elsewhere in Geneva.

Representation of member states (country of origin) in the workforce is taken in account for professional, technical or managerial positions. That is, policy making positions. Rarely for administrative positions.

JR M, Feb 5, 2017 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Feb 5, 17 21:45

Would it be impertinent to ask how long you have been working in WHO?

Thanks, R.

Would it be impertinent to ask how long you have been working in WHO?

Thanks, R.

Ritchie, Feb 5, 2017 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I have been working closely with UN agencies in Geneva for the last 10 years (WHO, ILO) and with the Global Fund.

I have been working closely with UN agencies in Geneva for the last 10 years (WHO, ILO) and with the Global Fund.

JR M, Feb 6, 2017 @ 00:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Feb 6, 17 00:31

But you haven’t been employed by them?

Ritchie, Feb 6, 2017 @ 00:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Swiss, et al,  thank you all for the very illuminating information.  My permit status is approved as a B status and I have a Swiss passport approval. Swiss how can I contact you directly - the site does not have direct email notification.

To everyone who has replied, I am deeply grateful for your insights and suggestions.

Respectfully,

Joseph

Swiss, et al,  thank you all for the very illuminating information.  My permit status is approved as a B status and I have a Swiss passport approval. Swiss how can I contact you directly - the site does not have direct email notification.

To everyone who has replied, I am deeply grateful for your insights and suggestions.

Respectfully,

Joseph

Joseph Railey, Feb 6, 2017 @ 02:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Feb 6, 17 00:47

Yes, I have.

Yes, I have.

JR M, Feb 6, 2017 @ 05:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 2800 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form