Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Geneva // Question About Our Dog

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva // Question About Our Dog

Hi,

My wife and are moving to Geneva in a few days for a two year work assignment.  We are both very excited about the opportunities this transition affords, but also nervous about leaving our friends and fast paced life in Brooklyn behind.

That being said we would love to meet any fun people looking to have adventures.  We enjoy cocktails bars, dining out, running, hiking, college football, dive bars, skiing, snowboarding, parties, etc.  If you are down with one or all of these things it would be great to get to know you.  Regardless, we are planning to join some of the activities posted on GLocals, so maybe we will see you there!

Also, we have a dog (Porkchop our French Bulldog) and would love any recommendations for doggy day cares/walkers/dog sitters anyone may have as well as any general tips about having a dog in Switzerland (dog parks, dog friendly bars, etc.).  We are not really sure what to expect.

See you soon

Chris

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

My wife and are moving to Geneva in a few days for a two year work assignment.  We are both very excited about the opportunities this transition affords, but also nervous about leaving our friends and fast paced life in Brooklyn behind.

That being said we would love to meet any fun people looking to have adventures.  We enjoy cocktails bars, dining out, running, hiking, college football, dive bars, skiing, snowboarding, parties, etc.  If you are down with one or all of these things it would be great to get to know you.  Regardless, we are planning to join some of the activities posted on GLocals, so maybe we will see you there!

Also, we have a dog (Porkchop our French Bulldog) and would love any recommendations for doggy day cares/walkers/dog sitters anyone may have as well as any general tips about having a dog in Switzerland (dog parks, dog friendly bars, etc.).  We are not really sure what to expect.

See you soon

Chris

Christopher LeeAug 13, 2015 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1333 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva // Question About Our Dog
Post 1

Hi Chris - re dogs...you will need to get a dog passport which will show all the shots, treatments, microchip no.s etc. This is the vet I go to and he is great - (antipodean as I am !!) He will tell you all. 

www.veto-stjean.ch/

Good luck and welcome to Geneva

Hi Chris - re dogs...you will need to get a dog passport which will show all the shots, treatments, microchip no.s etc. This is the vet I go to and he is great - (antipodean as I am !!) He will tell you all. 

www.veto-stjean.ch/

Good luck and welcome to Geneva

Jeffery S, Aug 14, 2015 @ 08:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Chris,

In general Switzerland is very dog-friendly. Almost all bars and restaurants will be happy for you to bring your dog.

This is a useful map of all the off-leash dog parks in Geneva: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/themes/securite-prevention/police-municipale/chiens/espaces-liberte-chiens/ . You should be able to pick up a paper version at the information center (on one of the footbridges in the center of town - also lots of other useful info).

I believe there's a small yearly dog tax, but I don't know how you pay it (I live on the French side so it doesn't apply).

Ticks can be a problem in this region, especially in spring and autumn, so you should use some kind of anti-tick spray and learn the symptoms of 'piroplasmosis': http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=720 . Treatment is simple if caught early.

You're welcome to message me if you have any more questions!

Adam

Hi Chris,

In general Switzerland is very dog-friendly. Almost all bars and restaurants will be happy for you to bring your dog.

This is a useful map of all the off-leash dog parks in Geneva: http://www.ville-geneve.ch/themes/securite-prevention/police-municipale/chiens/espaces-liberte-chiens/ . You should be able to pick up a paper version at the information center (on one of the footbridges in the center of town - also lots of other useful info).

I believe there's a small yearly dog tax, but I don't know how you pay it (I live on the French side so it doesn't apply).

Ticks can be a problem in this region, especially in spring and autumn, so you should use some kind of anti-tick spray and learn the symptoms of 'piroplasmosis': http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=720 . Treatment is simple if caught early.

You're welcome to message me if you have any more questions!

Adam

adam_jeff, Aug 14, 2015 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You enjoy College Football?!

What team do you root for?

You enjoy College Football?!

What team do you root for?

CH K, Aug 20, 2015 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I am a University of Michigan fan.  How about you? 

Any suggestions on good places to watch college football games?  Have to imagine there are some

sports bars that show the games.  At least I hope so or I am in for a VERY long fall

I am a University of Michigan fan.  How about you? 

Any suggestions on good places to watch college football games?  Have to imagine there are some

sports bars that show the games.  At least I hope so or I am in for a VERY long fall

Christopher Lee, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oh geez... typical...

Well looks like I've found someone to make friendly bets with.

B1G newbie and huge Rutgers fan/alumnus.

But generally a big fan of college football in general.

Sadly, haven't found any bar (not even the 3 big "Sports"/Expat bars) that plays college football. I've resorted to VPN's, WatchESPN, and online streams.

U.S Sports watching here is incredibly tough. Specially because of the time difference, so all the primetime games are on at 2AM.

Oh geez... typical...

Well looks like I've found someone to make friendly bets with.

B1G newbie and huge Rutgers fan/alumnus.

But generally a big fan of college football in general.

Sadly, haven't found any bar (not even the 3 big "Sports"/Expat bars) that plays college football. I've resorted to VPN's, WatchESPN, and online streams.

U.S Sports watching here is incredibly tough. Specially because of the time difference, so all the primetime games are on at 2AM.

CH K, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oh man, I am now starting to really rethink my choice to move...On the positive side I guess I will save money by not going out to the bar every Saturday...will just have to figure out the internet streaming options and find an apartment big enough to host viewing parties, 2am or otherwise

I am actually from Michigan and went to school there so not your standard East Coast UofM alumn. My wife went to the University of Wisconsin and is a huge Badgers fan - so we have a friendly Midwest rivalry when it comes to the BIG

I would talk trash about Rutgers and their last FPI ranking in the BIG, but the way Michigan has been playing over the past decade I cannot even muster the willpower.  

I might have to hit you up for some tips on the best website to get the games..

Do they show the NFL here?  All my drafts are at like 2am, so I better be able to watch at least some of the games.  Oh no, everything is closed on Sunday right...so no place to watch football? This might be a rough fall

Oh man, I am now starting to really rethink my choice to move...On the positive side I guess I will save money by not going out to the bar every Saturday...will just have to figure out the internet streaming options and find an apartment big enough to host viewing parties, 2am or otherwise

I am actually from Michigan and went to school there so not your standard East Coast UofM alumn. My wife went to the University of Wisconsin and is a huge Badgers fan - so we have a friendly Midwest rivalry when it comes to the BIG

I would talk trash about Rutgers and their last FPI ranking in the BIG, but the way Michigan has been playing over the past decade I cannot even muster the willpower.  

Do they show the NFL here?  All my drafts are at like 2am, so I better be able to watch at least some of the games.  Oh no, everything is closed on Sunday right...so no place to watch football? This might be a rough fall

Christopher Lee, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

http://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/schedule

Not cheap, but you can get every NFL game live in HD quality, unlike many streams.

http://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/schedule

Not cheap, but you can get every NFL game live in HD quality, unlike many streams.

Casuistik, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Aug 20, 15 16:33

FYI, even if you find an apartment big enough, you’re not going to be hosting any kind of party at 2 a.m.  Here the deadline for music, etc., in an apartment block is 22 hours.

Welcome to CH!

FYI, even if you find an apartment big enough, you’re not going to be hosting any kind of party at 2 a.m.  Here the deadline for music, etc., in an apartment block is 22 hours.

Welcome to CH!

Ritchie, Aug 20, 2015 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Chris! hope you both had a good summer!

Just in case, here is a recommenation on a doggy day care for Porkchop ;D

I think they can also come and pick him up from your place if you dont want to drive there..

http://www.aps74.com/index_uk.htm

Hope is useful!

Lore

Hi Chris! hope you both had a good summer!

Just in case, here is a recommenation on a doggy day care for Porkchop ;D

I think they can also come and pick him up from your place if you dont want to drive there..

http://www.aps74.com/index_uk.htm

Hope is useful!

Lore

lfjc, Oct 14, 2015 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1333 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form