Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Geneva. Just wanted to say hello

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva. Just wanted to say hello

Hi,

I am new to Geneva. I just arrived here a week ago from Vienna to work for the UN.

I don't know many people in Geneva and would be glad to get to know a few new faces.

Drew.

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I am new to Geneva. I just arrived here a week ago from Vienna to work for the UN.

I don't know many people in Geneva and would be glad to get to know a few new faces.

Drew.

Andrew JNov 13, 2010 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

28 Replies | 1395 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva. Just wanted to say hello
Post 1

Hi,

Drew.

Nov 13, 10 16:17

Hi Andrew,

Just saw your ad. I am not so new in Geneva but would be very glad to meet new people.

Marion.

Hi Andrew,

Just saw your ad. I am not so new in Geneva but would be very glad to meet new people.

Marion.

Marion C, Nov 13, 2010 @ 18:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

Drew.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Geneva :). Geneva is a pretty easy place to meet new people because of it's international environment. Glocals new members drink is good place to start. I guess at UN you would also similar introduction mechanisms as we have at CERN.

Omer

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Geneva :). Geneva is a pretty easy place to meet new people because of it's international environment. Glocals new members drink is good place to start. I guess at UN you would also similar introduction mechanisms as we have at CERN.

Omer

hyeomer, Nov 13, 2010 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You have just joined the living dead in the most boring city in Europe. Some helpful hints: don't flush the toilets after 22h:00; make sure you say hello, goodbye, and have a good day to the Migros cashiers, and don't speak too loud in public transport. Oh yeh, pay your bills on time and learn to act as a robot.

Other than that, Geneva is not too bad...

Just call me party pooper...

B  

You have just joined the living dead in the most boring city in Europe. Some helpful hints: don't flush the toilets after 22h:00; make sure you say hello, goodbye, and have a good day to the Migros cashiers, and don't speak too loud in public transport. Oh yeh, pay your bills on time and learn to act as a robot.

B  

B2008, Nov 14, 2010 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

B  

Nov 14, 10 13:42

hahahhah I wanted to say the same! :D

But if u ll be with good company then dont worry,Switzerland ll be the best place for U....
The best part is that the weather is super nice here and the  landscapes and mountains  are awesome.

Enjoy :)

hahahhah I wanted to say the same! :D

But if u ll be with good company then dont worry,Switzerland ll be the best place for U....
The best part is that the weather is super nice here and the  landscapes and mountains  are awesome.

Enjoy :)

Dace B, Nov 14, 2010 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

B  

Nov 14, 10 13:42

B.

Speak for yourself.... if you dont like so much then...

Andrew

Geneva is what you make of it.... lots of fun to be had if you make an effort, and igonore the party poopers.... ;-)

B.

Speak for yourself.... if you dont like so much then...

Andrew

Geneva is what you make of it.... lots of fun to be had if you make an effort, and igonore the party poopers.... ;-)

Charlie, Nov 14, 2010 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I believe I was speaking for myself. Do you speak for yours ?

I see you've only been here for 5 years. I arrived in 1993 and it took about 7 or so years before humanity was drained out of me.

However, I have a family to raise here and a good paying job so I stick it in. Truth be told, whenever I am away for a while, I realise even more how dead this place is, but soon enough I can't wait to get back.

Out there, it's too noisy, too real, nothing works. So I come back and huddle in my safe refuge reading Le Matin: health insurance, petitions and useless construction projects; impatiently awaiting the end of the month to pay my bills.

I have made Geneva my home and I am scared shitless that the UDC will one day kick me out because of postings like this one...So I must continue to play dead (i,e integrated/assimilated)...

So here is one cool pint of Kilkenny to Geneva...

P.S I am still looking for good darts players to join the Geneva Darts League...

B

I see you've only been here for 5 years. I arrived in 1993 and it took about 7 or so years before humanity was drained out of me.

However, I have a family to raise here and a good paying job so I stick it in. Truth be told, whenever I am away for a while, I realise even more how dead this place is, but soon enough I can't wait to get back.

Out there, it's too noisy, too real, nothing works. So I come back and huddle in my safe refuge reading Le Matin: health insurance, petitions and useless construction projects; impatiently awaiting the end of the month to pay my bills.

I have made Geneva my home and I am scared shitless that the UDC will one day kick me out because of postings like this one...So I must continue to play dead (i,e integrated/assimilated)...

P.S I am still looking for good darts players to join the Geneva Darts League...

B

B2008, Nov 14, 2010 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

B

Nov 14, 10 19:46

10 yrs and 5 mths.... (the last 5 of which in Geneva and the rest at the bottom end of lake Zurich)...and finding that with time it gets better.

I understand some dislike it here, and know that many love it here... Im in the latter group.

As I said, as with everything in life, its what you make of it. I wasn't being critical, just am a firm believer that if it doesnt work then either fix it or change it, since complaining seldom solves it.

Slainte

10 yrs and 5 mths.... (the last 5 of which in Geneva and the rest at the bottom end of lake Zurich)...and finding that with time it gets better.

I understand some dislike it here, and know that many love it here... Im in the latter group.

As I said, as with everything in life, its what you make of it. I wasn't being critical, just am a firm believer that if it doesnt work then either fix it or change it, since complaining seldom solves it.

Slainte

Charlie, Nov 15, 2010 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Drew

Welcome to Geneva! I tend to agree with Slainte, life is what you make of it. And Geneva is just as life! I have lived here, off and on, for over 16 years and I love it with the good and the bad.

You will be able to find a number of activities on Glocals so don't fear you'll get to know some great people soon!!!

Take care

Leslie

Hi Drew

Welcome to Geneva! I tend to agree with Slainte, life is what you make of it. And Geneva is just as life! I have lived here, off and on, for over 16 years and I love it with the good and the bad.

You will be able to find a number of activities on Glocals so don't fear you'll get to know some great people soon!!!

Take care

Leslie

Lazen, Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Drew

Take care

Leslie

Nov 15, 10 13:47

Leslie...

"Slainte" is "cheers" (or "to your health") in Gaelic... my name is Charlie- apart from that, thanks for the agreement ;-)

Charlie

Leslie...

"Slainte" is "cheers" (or "to your health") in Gaelic... my name is Charlie- apart from that, thanks for the agreement ;-)

Charlie

Charlie, Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Oops! I should have known that!!! EmbarassedWell that is another wonderful thing about Geneva, you are constantly learning...

Oops! I should have known that!!! EmbarassedWell that is another wonderful thing about Geneva, you are constantly learning...

Lazen, Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I am sorry guys. I didn't mean to be so gloomy. I blame it on the serious hangover..

I guess having lived here for so long, I've picked up some local habits, one of which is COMPLAINING.

Of course I love this place. It's safe, it oozes with money and comfort, and its only a few miles from France and Italy where one can find superb beauty in nature, food and adventure...

B

I am sorry guys. I didn't mean to be so gloomy. I blame it on the serious hangover..

I guess having lived here for so long, I've picked up some local habits, one of which is COMPLAINING.

Of course I love this place. It's safe, it oozes with money and comfort, and its only a few miles from France and Italy where one can find superb beauty in nature, food and adventure...

B

B2008, Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thanks Orner,

Maybe I'll consider that. It would be a good way to get to know a few people and a few pubs at the same time.

Drew.

Thanks Orner,

Maybe I'll consider that. It would be a good way to get to know a few people and a few pubs at the same time.

Drew.

Andrew J, Nov 15, 2010 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the encouraging info.

I can relate to all the responses here. I have been in Vienna for the past 13 years and while Vienna has (according to the Mercer stats) the highest standard of living in the world, it can seem boring and the people tend to have a complaining nature about them. But it's pros and cons. Vienna is really safe which is a big plus. I guess Geneva is the same.

I am thinking it is time for change for me and maybe time to leave Vienna. I don't know whether I want to stay in Geneva permanently yet but it would be one of my top choices. There are great mountains so close to this place for winter sports which is a great plus over Vienna for me.

I must beg to differ with @Dace B about the weather though. I have been here 1 week now and have seen 1 day without rain. I trust it will get better though.

Cheers.

Drew.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the encouraging info.

I can relate to all the responses here. I have been in Vienna for the past 13 years and while Vienna has (according to the Mercer stats) the highest standard of living in the world, it can seem boring and the people tend to have a complaining nature about them. But it's pros and cons. Vienna is really safe which is a big plus. I guess Geneva is the same.

I am thinking it is time for change for me and maybe time to leave Vienna. I don't know whether I want to stay in Geneva permanently yet but it would be one of my top choices. There are great mountains so close to this place for winter sports which is a great plus over Vienna for me.

I must beg to differ with @Dace B about the weather though. I have been here 1 week now and have seen 1 day without rain. I trust it will get better though.

Cheers.

Drew.

Andrew J, Nov 15, 2010 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hmm. Thanks for that.

I'll keep that in mind before I get too settled.

Drew.

Hmm. Thanks for that.

I'll keep that in mind before I get too settled.

Drew.

Andrew J, Nov 15, 2010 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi all!

nice discussion...I'm new to Geneva too, just moved here from Milan 1 week ago, and it's quite interesting reading it is considered  "capital of boredom".

:-)

Well, let's see what will happen...It cannot be so bad.

Anyway, after reading some of these comments, I already booked few trains/flights to Italy for next monhts...just in case...

Ciao!

L

Hi all!

nice discussion...I'm new to Geneva too, just moved here from Milan 1 week ago, and it's quite interesting reading it is considered  "capital of boredom".

Anyway, after reading some of these comments, I already booked few trains/flights to Italy for next monhts...just in case...

Ciao!

L

lidia l, Nov 21, 2010 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi all!

Ciao!

L

Nov 21, 10 22:24

Welcome. Don't listen to the haters and dive head first.

Cheers.

Welcome. Don't listen to the haters and dive head first.

Cheers.

catalin, Nov 22, 2010 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi Lidia,

Take your time. It really takes a few years before Geneva's gloom hits you, meanwhile there is lots to do and great people to meet, and the pizza here is generally tastey...

On a similar note, I'll be in Milan with my family in a few weeks. Any hints: what to see and what to avoid...

B

Hi Lidia,

Take your time. It really takes a few years before Geneva's gloom hits you, meanwhile there is lots to do and great people to meet, and the pizza here is generally tastey...

On a similar note, I'll be in Milan with my family in a few weeks. Any hints: what to see and what to avoid...

B

B2008, Nov 22, 2010 @ 01:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hi,

Welcome to Geneva! "the city of boredom" hehe. Well I have been here about two months, and have met some very nice people who I go out with quite often. So i think if you meet the right kind of people who like to have fun and enjoy life and who you feel confortable with, Geneva can be quite fun. If you know where to go, depending on what you like to do.

It takes a little effort though, the fun won't come to you, you have to go look for it...

And the plus of it like many other people said are the mountains and the lake which make it a great place for outdoor sports and activities. It can be amazing if you make the best out of it! Good luck and enjoy!

Yisol

Hi,

Welcome to Geneva! "the city of boredom" hehe. Well I have been here about two months, and have met some very nice people who I go out with quite often. So i think if you meet the right kind of people who like to have fun and enjoy life and who you feel confortable with, Geneva can be quite fun. If you know where to go, depending on what you like to do.

It takes a little effort though, the fun won't come to you, you have to go look for it...

And the plus of it like many other people said are the mountains and the lake which make it a great place for outdoor sports and activities. It can be amazing if you make the best out of it! Good luck and enjoy!

Yisol

Yisol Y, Nov 22, 2010 @ 09:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi,

Yisol

Nov 22, 10 09:53

Hi Yisol,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So far I haven't found this place so boring I must say but I can see where people are coming from. It is a rather small city.

Anyway. I really do have to get out to the mountains as much as possible at the weekends starting this weekend.

Cheers.

Drew.

Hi Yisol,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So far I haven't found this place so boring I must say but I can see where people are coming from. It is a rather small city.

Anyway. I really do have to get out to the mountains as much as possible at the weekends starting this weekend.

Cheers.

Drew.

Andrew J, Nov 22, 2010 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Thanks for your welcome! I was soooo busy in the last weeks looking for a flat...I didn't immagine was so hard to find a place here.

Anyway I got one, now...and I will have more time to discover this city. So, any advice is much appreciated.

I'm in Milan this weekend and after 2 weeks I alreday have the feelings that my life in Geneva will be easier (excluding looking for a flat). Milan is noisy, people is stressed and ufriendly...it's cold (so humid). And it's not beautiful as Rome or Florence or other cities.

But I spent 14 years in Milan and I liked it, is the city of fashion and design, you can meet many creatives and ineteresting people.

Waht to do: if you have money to spent, Milan has the best shopping int he world, the center is nice (Duomo, Brera, Castello Sforzesco, Navigli, Santa Maria delle grazie); there are always interesting art exhibitions (now there is Dali at Palazzo Reale).

Good restaurants and great pizza, avoid places just close Duomo...I can give you some names if you need.

Anyway, I have to confess that I was born in South Italy ...so my advice is: go to Pugila for holidays!!!!

My boyfried is now in Rome and he was born in Tuscany...for any questions about these areas, just ask!!

I know that in Geneva in now snowing...as a south italy woman I have something like an allergy to snow and skying...I will need to get used, I think

Ciao!!

L

Thanks for your welcome! I was soooo busy in the last weeks looking for a flat...I didn't immagine was so hard to find a place here.

Anyway I got one, now...and I will have more time to discover this city. So, any advice is much appreciated.

I'm in Milan this weekend and after 2 weeks I alreday have the feelings that my life in Geneva will be easier (excluding looking for a flat). Milan is noisy, people is stressed and ufriendly...it's cold (so humid). And it's not beautiful as Rome or Florence or other cities.

But I spent 14 years in Milan and I liked it, is the city of fashion and design, you can meet many creatives and ineteresting people.

Waht to do: if you have money to spent, Milan has the best shopping int he world, the center is nice (Duomo, Brera, Castello Sforzesco, Navigli, Santa Maria delle grazie); there are always interesting art exhibitions (now there is Dali at Palazzo Reale).

Good restaurants and great pizza, avoid places just close Duomo...I can give you some names if you need.

Anyway, I have to confess that I was born in South Italy ...so my advice is: go to Pugila for holidays!!!!

My boyfried is now in Rome and he was born in Tuscany...for any questions about these areas, just ask!!

I know that in Geneva in now snowing...as a south italy woman I have something like an allergy to snow and skying...I will need to get used, I think

Ciao!!

L

lidia l, Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Let's start to became part of Geneva soul...

is anyone involved in managing musical events or has any friend that do this?

I want this guy (acoustic guitar) + the group with whom he developing an innonavative project (they do electronic music) here...

just listen...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxjSxOpiWg&feature=related

Tks
Lidia

Let's start to became part of Geneva soul...

is anyone involved in managing musical events or has any friend that do this?

I want this guy (acoustic guitar) + the group with whom he developing an innonavative project (they do electronic music) here...

just listen...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxjSxOpiWg&feature=related

Tks
Lidia

lidia l, Nov 28, 2010 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Hi L,

I will be in Milan over the christmas weekend, so I think shopping is out of the question, and I assume restaurants will closed. My son adores churches and monuments so we'll be visiting those. But then we're going to Florence for 5 days. I found a good hotel with friendly staff and thanks to Facebook, they've been giving me good advice on restaurants and shopping.

Being from the South myself, I miss noise, crowds and good food. So Italy here I come.

Cheers and keep up the good spirit

B

Hi L,

I will be in Milan over the christmas weekend, so I think shopping is out of the question, and I assume restaurants will closed. My son adores churches and monuments so we'll be visiting those. But then we're going to Florence for 5 days. I found a good hotel with friendly staff and thanks to Facebook, they've been giving me good advice on restaurants and shopping.

Being from the South myself, I miss noise, crowds and good food. So Italy here I come.

Cheers and keep up the good spirit

B

B2008, Nov 28, 2010 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Ciao Begonia...craziness is the salt of life! ;-)

@B: if your son likes churches you should go to Lucca (just 1h from Florence). La città delle 100 chiese...

Cheers!

L

Ciao Begonia...craziness is the salt of life! ;-)

@B: if your son likes churches you should go to Lucca (just 1h from Florence). La città delle 100 chiese...

Cheers!

L

lidia l, Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Maybe Geneva is boring because all the foreigners are in prison.  Or have I possibly got my threads mixed up?

Maybe Geneva is boring because all the foreigners are in prison.  Or have I possibly got my threads mixed up?

Paul E, Nov 29, 2010 @ 22:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi

I am coming to Geneva from Vancouver to intern (where we also have beautiful mountains) and was wondering if anyone had tips for finding accomodation in Geneva. I have come across so many scams so far that is really doing my head in.

I am really looking forward to getting to know Geneva as well as meeting new people :)

Hi

I am coming to Geneva from Vancouver to intern (where we also have beautiful mountains) and was wondering if anyone had tips for finding accomodation in Geneva. I have come across so many scams so far that is really doing my head in.

I am really looking forward to getting to know Geneva as well as meeting new people :)

isabella s, Dec 18, 2010 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hi

Dec 18, 10 09:48

Geneva's welcome center is another place to look at :)

http://www.cagi.ch/en/service-logement.php

Geneva's welcome center is another place to look at :)

http://www.cagi.ch/en/service-logement.php

hyeomer, Dec 18, 2010 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hi,

Drew.

Hey Andrew welcome in GVA ;-)

Hey Andrew welcome in GVA ;-)

Medicis, Dec 18, 2010 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Hi

Dec 18, 10 09:48

If you want to save money then just across the border in France is cheaper. I am staying in a place called Ornex. There is a bus to Geneva which goes at regular intervals. If you're interested let me know and I can send you more details.

If you want to save money then just across the border in France is cheaper. I am staying in a place called Ornex. There is a bus to Geneva which goes at regular intervals. If you're interested let me know and I can send you more details.

Andrew J, Dec 19, 2010 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
28 Replies | 1395 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form