Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva

hey Guys,

My namei Steve and moving to geneva next month. can someone help in responding to a few questions in order for me to find my bearings?

1- Thinking of looking for an apartment in Champel, Florissant, Malagnou or Eaux-Vives. Are these nice areas? (we are a family with 2 young kids)

2- Is there an equivalent to Marks and Spencer?

3- Equivalent to Tesco (UK) or Walmart (USA)?

4- Equivalent to Boots (UK) or Walgreens (USA)?

5- A second hand car dealership?

6- Furniture store (besides IKEA)?

7- Are there any shopping malls (USA) /arcades (UK)?

8- Any mom's and tot's groups (or how I can find some)?

Thanks guys

Looking forward to coming

Steven

The text you are quoting:

hey Guys,

My namei Steve and moving to geneva next month. can someone help in responding to a few questions in order for me to find my bearings?

1- Thinking of looking for an apartment in Champel, Florissant, Malagnou or Eaux-Vives. Are these nice areas? (we are a family with 2 young kids)

2- Is there an equivalent to Marks and Spencer?

3- Equivalent to Tesco (UK) or Walmart (USA)?

4- Equivalent to Boots (UK) or Walgreens (USA)?

5- A second hand car dealership?

6- Furniture store (besides IKEA)?

7- Are there any shopping malls (USA) /arcades (UK)?

8- Any mom's and tot's groups (or how I can find some)?

Thanks guys

Looking forward to coming

Steven

STEVEN PARISOct 27, 2010 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1065 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva
Post 1

Sory

One more thing:

Any big electrical store to find Fridge/freezer/ vaccum/washer/dryer/stereo/TV...

Sory

One more thing:

Any big electrical store to find Fridge/freezer/ vaccum/washer/dryer/stereo/TV...

STEVEN PARIS, Oct 27, 2010 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Steven

I have moved to Geneva 4 months ago myself and family!

The area you looking to move are very nice but very difficult to find ANY apartement in Geneva unless your budget is above 5000 chf then your easy, I do live in chample myself, everybody is in search of apartement and it takes atleast three months including afew rejection from landlords until you find somthing nice!!! very difficult so you must be ready as everybody likes these areas and its very nice so everybody wants to be here!!!

shops are limited here so in myexperience you better bring everything from uk and pay a shipping company!! DO NOT COME on a sunday as we did and had to pay exrta tax because they are cloesed!!

for your car its better to bring your car for the first year and then decide what you have to do becouse secand hand cars are away much more than uk in here!!!

there is a shop like tesco but in france called GEANT again shopping here are limite and cost more!

if you own anything more than 6 months you don't have to pay tax so you better off to bring all these with you, washing maching are not ness in here because most of apartment have their own lundry room and normally there is no room to put your washing machine!!

I hope I helped as I have been faced with all of this myself!

Thanks

Roya

Hi Steven

I have moved to Geneva 4 months ago myself and family!

The area you looking to move are very nice but very difficult to find ANY apartement in Geneva unless your budget is above 5000 chf then your easy, I do live in chample myself, everybody is in search of apartement and it takes atleast three months including afew rejection from landlords until you find somthing nice!!! very difficult so you must be ready as everybody likes these areas and its very nice so everybody wants to be here!!!

shops are limited here so in myexperience you better bring everything from uk and pay a shipping company!! DO NOT COME on a sunday as we did and had to pay exrta tax because they are cloesed!!

for your car its better to bring your car for the first year and then decide what you have to do becouse secand hand cars are away much more than uk in here!!!

there is a shop like tesco but in france called GEANT again shopping here are limite and cost more!

if you own anything more than 6 months you don't have to pay tax so you better off to bring all these with you, washing maching are not ness in here because most of apartment have their own lundry room and normally there is no room to put your washing machine!!

I hope I helped as I have been faced with all of this myself!

Thanks

Roya

Roya Alavi, Oct 29, 2010 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

http://www.autoscout24.ch/

for cars, or

http://www.roc-occ.ch/

for fridges etc look after a Mediamarkt or Fust shop...

and welcome btw :-)

http://www.autoscout24.ch/

for cars, or

http://www.roc-occ.ch/

for fridges etc look after a Mediamarkt or Fust shop...

and welcome btw :-)

Kev303, Oct 29, 2010 @ 19:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1065 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form