Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Geneva and very grateful

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva and very grateful

I've been here for a week now and would love to explore Geneva and the surrounding areas.  I'd love to meet people to run, play, chat, play music, be healthy, and enjoy life with :)  I'm not sure how to get around, where things are, etc.  I have a friend coming to town tomorrow and would love some advice on some things we should do and see.  Merci!

The text you are quoting:

I've been here for a week now and would love to explore Geneva and the surrounding areas.  I'd love to meet people to run, play, chat, play music, be healthy, and enjoy life with :)  I'm not sure how to get around, where things are, etc.  I have a friend coming to town tomorrow and would love some advice on some things we should do and see.  Merci!

Calla AJan 21, 2010 @ 23:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 961 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva and very grateful
Post 1

a guided visit inside the palais des Nations

a guided visit inside the palais des Nations

Justin, Jan 22, 2010 @ 00:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Calla

Welcome to Geneva. You will have the time of your life here. Geneva is charming, beautiful, peaceful and safe. People are smart, wonderful and friendly. Thanks to Glocals the locals and the expats can meet easily for all manner of activities ... you are in for a treat and I'd say you're going to make some friends for life in your year off here.

How to get about:

For yourself, I'd say get a monthly bus pass (CHF70). That lows you to ride all busses and trams 24x7. Buses and trams are clean and punctual - a great way to get about. Take your passport to the ticket office in either Rive (near Eaux Vives) or Gare Cornavin (central station). They may ask for a photo (there's a phot machine) or they may use their electronic web cam - it varies.

For your friend, you cna get a day ticket from the machine at any bus stop. CHF7 for off peak (9 AM to midnight) or CHF10 for midnight to midnight. With those tickets your friend can use any bus or tram around Geneva.

What to do:

Get bus or tram map and also a city map (both are free). Look up the 'old town' ... very charming at heart of Geneva, 10 minutes walk from Gare Cornavin.

You can get a tour of the city from the bus station near Cornavin. I did this one ... it was a fabulous intro to Geneva and its history and the various parts of the city including the Old Town, the UN, the HQ/history of the Red Cross etc.

Also there are two vans around the lake where you can borrow mountain bikes (get there early) ... get this ... free for up to 4 hours. You will need to leave a photo ID. After 4 hours it is only CHF2/hour. So you & your friend can get a some exercise. And if you want a wild time, post a message on Glocals for a fun ride and meet near the famous fountain. You will find a whole bunch of people wil join you. I know some people ride to Evian/France which is only a short ride away by the side of the lake and the view is superb.

There are lots to do most evenings. On Saturday there is the fabulous monthly Latin event in Onex (15 minutes by bus from Cornavin) ... note: the locals & anyone who has been here more than a couple of years considers 15+ minutes as "too far outside Geneva" ... still amuses me. But anyway, if that event interests you, check out the Glocals post "Sabor Latino" and join in. I'll certainly be going.

You can always catch a train to Montreux and see the castle and the natural beauties.

There is plenty more ad the people you meet at the various event will be more than happy to guide you.

Take care and have fun

B

Hi Calla

Welcome to Geneva. You will have the time of your life here. Geneva is charming, beautiful, peaceful and safe. People are smart, wonderful and friendly. Thanks to Glocals the locals and the expats can meet easily for all manner of activities ... you are in for a treat and I'd say you're going to make some friends for life in your year off here.

How to get about:

For yourself, I'd say get a monthly bus pass (CHF70). That lows you to ride all busses and trams 24x7. Buses and trams are clean and punctual - a great way to get about. Take your passport to the ticket office in either Rive (near Eaux Vives) or Gare Cornavin (central station). They may ask for a photo (there's a phot machine) or they may use their electronic web cam - it varies.

For your friend, you cna get a day ticket from the machine at any bus stop. CHF7 for off peak (9 AM to midnight) or CHF10 for midnight to midnight. With those tickets your friend can use any bus or tram around Geneva.

What to do:

Get bus or tram map and also a city map (both are free). Look up the 'old town' ... very charming at heart of Geneva, 10 minutes walk from Gare Cornavin.

You can get a tour of the city from the bus station near Cornavin. I did this one ... it was a fabulous intro to Geneva and its history and the various parts of the city including the Old Town, the UN, the HQ/history of the Red Cross etc.

Also there are two vans around the lake where you can borrow mountain bikes (get there early) ... get this ... free for up to 4 hours. You will need to leave a photo ID. After 4 hours it is only CHF2/hour. So you & your friend can get a some exercise. And if you want a wild time, post a message on Glocals for a fun ride and meet near the famous fountain. You will find a whole bunch of people wil join you. I know some people ride to Evian/France which is only a short ride away by the side of the lake and the view is superb.

There are lots to do most evenings. On Saturday there is the fabulous monthly Latin event in Onex (15 minutes by bus from Cornavin) ... note: the locals & anyone who has been here more than a couple of years considers 15+ minutes as "too far outside Geneva" ... still amuses me. But anyway, if that event interests you, check out the Glocals post "Sabor Latino" and join in. I'll certainly be going.

You can always catch a train to Montreux and see the castle and the natural beauties.

There is plenty more ad the people you meet at the various event will be more than happy to guide you.

Take care and have fun

B

Bizhan, Jan 21, 2010 @ 23:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Welcome.

Also check out this guide.

http://genevalunch.com/guides/travel/the-happy-traveller-to-from-and-around-geneva/

Welcome.

Also check out this guide.

http://genevalunch.com/guides/travel/the-happy-traveller-to-from-and-around-geneva/

lailasthings, Feb 3, 2010 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Ah and this idea might help too visiting old town

http://genevalunch.com/new-to-geneva-me-too/2010/01/13/geneva-one-day-trips-and-excursions-saint-peters-cathedral/

Ah and this idea might help too visiting old town

http://genevalunch.com/new-to-geneva-me-too/2010/01/13/geneva-one-day-trips-and-excursions-saint-peters-cathedral/

lailasthings, Feb 3, 2010 @ 23:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 961 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form