Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Glocals

Hi all,

While I'm not brand new to Switzerland (moved here in August 2013 from upstate New York, though I'm originally from Boston) but I'm new to Glocals. I live and work at a small school up in Leysin (above Aigle) and not knowing any French, have found it difficult to find many social opportunities - my biggest (personal) goal this year is to get down into the valley more frequently and meet people. I'd be up for meeting in any town/city along the lake, so I'll be proactively looking at "things to do" and hope to meet some of you soon!

- David

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

While I'm not brand new to Switzerland (moved here in August 2013 from upstate New York, though I'm originally from Boston) but I'm new to Glocals. I live and work at a small school up in Leysin (above Aigle) and not knowing any French, have found it difficult to find many social opportunities - my biggest (personal) goal this year is to get down into the valley more frequently and meet people. I'd be up for meeting in any town/city along the lake, so I'll be proactively looking at "things to do" and hope to meet some of you soon!

- David

David KOct 15, 2014 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 750 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Glocals
Post 1

Welcome to glocals, David!

I know it's hard enough being an expat in a bigger city, and imagine that if you're in a smaller village that's even harder. Any other expats up there?

Welcome to glocals, David!

I know it's hard enough being an expat in a bigger city, and imagine that if you're in a smaller village that's even harder. Any other expats up there?

Nir Ofek, Oct 15, 2014 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks, Nir - the few of us that are here all teach at the same school so it very much has a feeling of "life in a bubble" that I'm trying to break out of. Doesn't help either that our last train up the mountain leaves just before 11pm each night, so I'll have to try to take advantage of daytime events in Lausanne/elsewhere, or else find hostels to stay in for overnights. Will take a bit of work but no one ever said living abroad would be easy! :)

Thanks, Nir - the few of us that are here all teach at the same school so it very much has a feeling of "life in a bubble" that I'm trying to break out of. Doesn't help either that our last train up the mountain leaves just before 11pm each night, so I'll have to try to take advantage of daytime events in Lausanne/elsewhere, or else find hostels to stay in for overnights. Will take a bit of work but no one ever said living abroad would be easy! :)

David K, Oct 15, 2014 @ 17:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey there, David -

I'm a new arrival to the area - living in Montreux, just moved here from Andover, MA.  And the first post I see here is from a Bostonian!  

I'm jealous of you up on the mountain - I've already started checking out good Nordic skiing in the area, and you're sitting right on top of it!  AND with a biathlon range!  Gotta get some wax on my skis before the season gets here...

Anyway, always up for a bike ride (as soon as my bike gets here), hiking, or grabbing a beer or two in Montreux, Vevey, etc...  

Cheers,

Andy

Hey there, David -

I'm a new arrival to the area - living in Montreux, just moved here from Andover, MA.  And the first post I see here is from a Bostonian!  

I'm jealous of you up on the mountain - I've already started checking out good Nordic skiing in the area, and you're sitting right on top of it!  AND with a biathlon range!  Gotta get some wax on my skis before the season gets here...

Anyway, always up for a bike ride (as soon as my bike gets here), hiking, or grabbing a beer or two in Montreux, Vevey, etc...  

Cheers,

Andy

Andy O, Oct 20, 2014 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 750 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form