Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Swiss

Hi

I am Ravi from London. I am planning to relocate to Geneva as i got Job there. Can anyone guide me what is minumim salary to surviv there and expenditure please? .Thank you

Regards

Ravi Gurram

The text you are quoting:

Hi

I am Ravi from London. I am planning to relocate to Geneva as i got Job there. Can anyone guide me what is minumim salary to surviv there and expenditure please? .Thank you

Regards

Ravi Gurram

Ravi GurramJan 19, 2015 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1405 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Swiss
Post 1

"minimum salary to survive" can be pretty subjective - it really depends on what you minimum standard of living is, how flexible you are with where you live etc etc. Similarly expenditure is all about the choices you make.  

Start by looking at the other posts on here and on english forum http://www.englishforum.ch/

Also many resources here: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/salaries/29235700.  

Welcome to Glocals!

"minimum salary to survive" can be pretty subjective - it really depends on what you minimum standard of living is, how flexible you are with where you live etc etc. Similarly expenditure is all about the choices you make.  

Start by looking at the other posts on here and on english forum http://www.englishforum.ch/

Also many resources here: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/salaries/29235700.  

Welcome to Glocals!

Natasha C, Jan 19, 2015 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'm certain I'm not the only one, but having lived in London and Geneva, I can say that the relative cost of housing is very similar (and, like London, people commute from outside the city (either around Nyon/canton Vaud or France) to save on cost).

Food and clothing appear, generally, to be more costly than in London, but things like electronics can be a lot cheaper due to the lower VAT. I found most of the flats in London to be higher-quality than what you can find in Geneva, but it depends on what you are looking for. I mean, Geneva is under half a million residents, and London is what, 8 million? Any comparisons are going to have to be in the broadest strokes, imo.

Welcome, and good luck! 

I'm certain I'm not the only one, but having lived in London and Geneva, I can say that the relative cost of housing is very similar (and, like London, people commute from outside the city (either around Nyon/canton Vaud or France) to save on cost).

Food and clothing appear, generally, to be more costly than in London, but things like electronics can be a lot cheaper due to the lower VAT. I found most of the flats in London to be higher-quality than what you can find in Geneva, but it depends on what you are looking for. I mean, Geneva is under half a million residents, and London is what, 8 million? Any comparisons are going to have to be in the broadest strokes, imo.

Welcome, and good luck! 

Steve A, Jan 19, 2015 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Steve,

I am going to work for ralph lauren in Geneva. How about the other expences like Car Insurance and used CAR cost there? Where i need to find the house/Flat  nearer to Geneva? I am looking at the houses rent it is 4k to 5K. Not able to spend that much as my salary is 150k. after Tax and other cutting may get 7 to 8 k ithink. Searching in Forms for Rented appartments. THank you

Regards

Ravi

Thank you Steve,

I am going to work for ralph lauren in Geneva. How about the other expences like Car Insurance and used CAR cost there? Where i need to find the house/Flat  nearer to Geneva? I am looking at the houses rent it is 4k to 5K. Not able to spend that much as my salary is 150k. after Tax and other cutting may get 7 to 8 k ithink. Searching in Forms for Rented appartments. THank you

Regards

Ravi

Ravi Gurram, Jan 19, 2015 @ 17:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Ravi 4 to 5k seems a lot for housing mate. We are moving to Geneva next month. Would be great to meet up with some other British based people.

Ravi 4 to 5k seems a lot for housing mate. We are moving to Geneva next month. Would be great to meet up with some other British based people.

Chris Shaw, Feb 16, 2015 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Guess a basic question is: are you moving on your own or with your family?

You can live a decent life with 100k gross salary so if you have a 150k net you should not worry.
Now, if you have 3 kids and a non working wife to support it becomes trickier but still manageable.

homegate, immostreet, comparis.ch, alle-immobilien.ch for an overview on housing

Good luck

Guess a basic question is: are you moving on your own or with your family?

You can live a decent life with 100k gross salary so if you have a 150k net you should not worry.
Now, if you have 3 kids and a non working wife to support it becomes trickier but still manageable.

homegate, immostreet, comparis.ch, alle-immobilien.ch for an overview on housing

Good luck

elisewin, Feb 19, 2015 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

if you are looking for houses with garden..then forget a about it, 150lk is a very good salary but you are not rich in GVA. If you go for an apartment then yeah.

Keep in mind they will never give you a place to rent that it is worth more than 1 third of your gross salary ..

if you are looking for houses with garden..then forget a about it, 150lk is a very good salary but you are not rich in GVA. If you go for an apartment then yeah.

Keep in mind they will never give you a place to rent that it is worth more than 1 third of your gross salary ..

salvo vitit, Feb 19, 2015 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you all giving me good suggissions. I want to be on my own for first three months and want to movie the family.

Does any know how much it would cost to open sole trader company in swiss? I gone through websites it is very costly and i also need to apply for B permit. Any one can able to guide me please. Thank you

Regards

Ravi Gurram

Thank you all giving me good suggissions. I want to be on my own for first three months and want to movie the family.

Does any know how much it would cost to open sole trader company in swiss? I gone through websites it is very costly and i also need to apply for B permit. Any one can able to guide me please. Thank you

Regards

Ravi Gurram

Ravi Gurram, Feb 19, 2015 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Presumably your employer, Ralph Lauren, is obtaining (or has already obtained) a “B” permit for you.  Without that, you won’t be allowed to work in CH.

R.  

Presumably your employer, Ralph Lauren, is obtaining (or has already obtained) a “B” permit for you.  Without that, you won’t be allowed to work in CH.

R.  

Ritchie, Feb 19, 2015 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi

I registered as Free lancer and got permossion for three month. I want to continue as free lancer in swiss and i want to register asle trading comany and apply B permit. I seen rates in websites and it is very high. Can anyone guide me please. Thank you

Regards
Ravi Gurram

Hi

I registered as Free lancer and got permossion for three month. I want to continue as free lancer in swiss and i want to register asle trading comany and apply B permit. I seen rates in websites and it is very high. Can anyone guide me please. Thank you

Regards
Ravi Gurram

Ravi Gurram, Feb 20, 2015 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1405 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form