Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Vevey & Switzerland.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Vevey & Switzerland.

Hi, I am John, new to Vevey & Switzerland.

I am a sort of homely, family sort of guy…wanting to feel at home here, looking for life after work, but perhaps feeling a little disconnected on account of being British, living in the Netherlands( at weekends)… working in Switzerland (during the week) and not very good at speaking French!

I have made lifelong friends wherever I have stayed, and am looking to make some here.  I already have a few who could become good friends. One in Geneva, (at gate no4 at the airport, where I wait each Friday), and in Zurich (at a one time a year party)… but they are a bit too distant. So now is the time for me to make some friends here.

I would say I’m an easy-going sort of guy, always liking to keep my options open and not rule things out too much. I like doing normal things such as seeing places, having a drink, a bite to eat, listening to (live) music, walking and talking. I’m happy to have a good drink in a bar as much as a chat over a coffee. But I do have my preferences. For example, I am more a one-to-one sort of guy rather than wanting to be (or lost) in a BIG crowd. If it was a choice between drinking (too much) with the lads or a cosy chat with the ladies, I would generally skip the headache. (You could read that both ways!) But ladies, you have nothing to fear, because I am a decent, respectful guy, and happily married with 3 children.

Some of you might think I am old (in my fifties) but my wife is much younger and she keeps me pretty young. I like to think I can relate to all ages. I get on very well with my teenage children and their friends…all the way up to my elderly father-in-law (who has a different view on life) and he still regards me as his own son... I even get on well with my mother-in law (and you may know how that can be sometimes)!

What is important to me is not where I am, or what I am doing …but who I am with.  Hopefully I can be with some good, decent, respectful, people, and of all ages.

Switzerland is scenically very beautiful, but only by knowing some good people and sharing some fun moments together, will make it special for me. Hopefully it will be the same for the people who get- to- know me too.

So the questions is…would anyone in the Lausanne, Vevey or Montreux area like to meet up with me and hopefully we can make the most of our time here?

…and if you can’t, then I would always appreciate any advice you have on places to go, what to do…

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards, John

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I am John, new to Vevey & Switzerland.

I am a sort of homely, family sort of guy…wanting to feel at home here, looking for life after work, but perhaps feeling a little disconnected on account of being British, living in the Netherlands( at weekends)… working in Switzerland (during the week) and not very good at speaking French!

I have made lifelong friends wherever I have stayed, and am looking to make some here.  I already have a few who could become good friends. One in Geneva, (at gate no4 at the airport, where I wait each Friday), and in Zurich (at a one time a year party)… but they are a bit too distant. So now is the time for me to make some friends here.

I would say I’m an easy-going sort of guy, always liking to keep my options open and not rule things out too much. I like doing normal things such as seeing places, having a drink, a bite to eat, listening to (live) music, walking and talking. I’m happy to have a good drink in a bar as much as a chat over a coffee. But I do have my preferences. For example, I am more a one-to-one sort of guy rather than wanting to be (or lost) in a BIG crowd. If it was a choice between drinking (too much) with the lads or a cosy chat with the ladies, I would generally skip the headache. (You could read that both ways!) But ladies, you have nothing to fear, because I am a decent, respectful guy, and happily married with 3 children.

Some of you might think I am old (in my fifties) but my wife is much younger and she keeps me pretty young. I like to think I can relate to all ages. I get on very well with my teenage children and their friends…all the way up to my elderly father-in-law (who has a different view on life) and he still regards me as his own son... I even get on well with my mother-in law (and you may know how that can be sometimes)!

What is important to me is not where I am, or what I am doing …but who I am with.  Hopefully I can be with some good, decent, respectful, people, and of all ages.

Switzerland is scenically very beautiful, but only by knowing some good people and sharing some fun moments together, will make it special for me. Hopefully it will be the same for the people who get- to- know me too.

So the questions is…would anyone in the Lausanne, Vevey or Montreux area like to meet up with me and hopefully we can make the most of our time here?

…and if you can’t, then I would always appreciate any advice you have on places to go, what to do…

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards, John

John RNov 25, 2014 @ 01:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 996 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Vevey & Switzerland.
Post 1

Welcome John

Although we live across the water in Evian, we have close friends in Vevey.

I shall contact them and see if they would like to meet up with you.

He is Brit. she is French but is also Nederlandstalig. What nationality is your wife?

Look forward to receiving a [it's automatic] response

Welcome John

Although we live across the water in Evian, we have close friends in Vevey.

I shall contact them and see if they would like to meet up with you.

He is Brit. she is French but is also Nederlandstalig. What nationality is your wife?

Look forward to receiving a [it's automatic] response

sheila c, Nov 25, 2014 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi sheila c

Thank you for your message and your consideration. My wife is Dutch, but my dutch language is only a klein beetje (a little bit) For some reason my brain malfunctions when it comes to learning  languages!  

regards, John

Hi sheila c

Thank you for your message and your consideration. My wife is Dutch, but my dutch language is only a klein beetje (a little bit) For some reason my brain malfunctions when it comes to learning  languages!  

regards, John

John R, Nov 25, 2014 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey John,

Welcome to this very beautiful part of the world.

Even after having lived here for 7 years, I still have to pinch myself when I take the lovely walk almost everyday from my home in Sonzier(just above Montreux) to Montreux.

Attached a picture I took yesterday when the whole lake was blanketed by a mist or fog, it seemed like we were in heaven.

I am travelling abroad shortly and will contact you as soon as I am back(2nd week of Dec) to see if you are up for a drink.

Take care and welcome again here.

Ciao,

Suleman

Hey John,

Welcome to this very beautiful part of the world.

Even after having lived here for 7 years, I still have to pinch myself when I take the lovely walk almost everyday from my home in Sonzier(just above Montreux) to Montreux.

Attached a picture I took yesterday when the whole lake was blanketed by a mist or fog, it seemed like we were in heaven.

I am travelling abroad shortly and will contact you as soon as I am back(2nd week of Dec) to see if you are up for a drink.

Take care and welcome again here.

Ciao,

Suleman

Suleman Shah, Nov 25, 2014 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Suleman

Thanks for the message. When you are back then would be glad to meet up for a drink.

Great photo...The view where I am (at St Legier) just waiting for the train in the morning can be uplifting and every day it's different.  

See you in Dec.

John

Hi Suleman

Thanks for the message. When you are back then would be glad to meet up for a drink.

Great photo...The view where I am (at St Legier) just waiting for the train in the morning can be uplifting and every day it's different.  

See you in Dec.

John

John R, Nov 25, 2014 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi John,

I'm living in Valais, but my main office is in Lausanne, so If you want one of these evening after work I can stop by and meet you with great pleasure.

I am new in this web site so tell me what would be the next step, thank you!

Cheers,

Michelangelo

Hi John,

I'm living in Valais, but my main office is in Lausanne, so If you want one of these evening after work I can stop by and meet you with great pleasure.

I am new in this web site so tell me what would be the next step, thank you!

Cheers,

Michelangelo

MICHELANGELO MALTESE, Nov 26, 2014 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Michelangelo

Thanks for getting in touch. A drink sounds good. This week I am a bit busy but may be next week Thursday if that is convenient. We can talk nearer the time to fix up where/when.

If I have more people interested, would that be ok for you?

...and where is convenient ' Vevey / Montreux or either...

regards, John

Hi Michelangelo

Thanks for getting in touch. A drink sounds good. This week I am a bit busy but may be next week Thursday if that is convenient. We can talk nearer the time to fix up where/when.

If I have more people interested, would that be ok for you?

...and where is convenient ' Vevey / Montreux or either...

regards, John

John R, Nov 26, 2014 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi John,

yes thursday of next week It's perfect! I don't know very well Vevey or Montreux, so If you have any ideas that's fine. I'm very flexible and like almost everything.

Of course, If there will be other people who want to join us it's absolutely fine for me.

How we should contact each other? Do you want that I leave you my phone number? Let me know where I can contact you, thanks!

See you soon!

Michelangelo

Hi John,

yes thursday of next week It's perfect! I don't know very well Vevey or Montreux, so If you have any ideas that's fine. I'm very flexible and like almost everything.

Of course, If there will be other people who want to join us it's absolutely fine for me.

How we should contact each other? Do you want that I leave you my phone number? Let me know where I can contact you, thanks!

See you soon!

Michelangelo

MICHELANGELO MALTESE, Nov 26, 2014 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Michelangelo

I will send you a message probably Wednesday. I will have a better idea by then where is a good place to go. I think somewhere in Vevey.

If anyone else who may read this message is interested for a drink next Thursday...no probs, let us know.

Hi Michelangelo

I will send you a message probably Wednesday. I will have a better idea by then where is a good place to go. I think somewhere in Vevey.

If anyone else who may read this message is interested for a drink next Thursday...no probs, let us know.

John R, Nov 26, 2014 @ 20:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi,

ok great, always happy to meet new people! So i look forward to see you and others too.

Tell me where to go when you will know the place.

See you soon!

Michelangelo

Hi,

ok great, always happy to meet new people! So i look forward to see you and others too.

Tell me where to go when you will know the place.

See you soon!

Michelangelo

MICHELANGELO MALTESE, Nov 26, 2014 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 996 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form