Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ni Hao!

Hi everyone,

This is Fang~ I'm a graduate student at the George Washington University but I m originally from China. This summer I'll be doing an internship with the ILO. (excitedWink) I'm looking for a place to live from late may to the end of August. Anyone has a studio or a bedroom to offer? 

I heard that Geneva is a wonderful place for summer. I'm so ready to explore all the fun places and enjoy the lake. If you have recommendations about nice restaurants, bars, etc, plz shoot me a message! Thx!

Cheers, Fang

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

This is Fang~ I'm a graduate student at the George Washington University but I m originally from China. This summer I'll be doing an internship with the ILO. (excitedWink) I'm looking for a place to live from late may to the end of August. Anyone has a studio or a bedroom to offer? 

I heard that Geneva is a wonderful place for summer. I'm so ready to explore all the fun places and enjoy the lake. If you have recommendations about nice restaurants, bars, etc, plz shoot me a message! Thx!

Cheers, Fang

Vivianna HeFeb 18, 2010 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1172 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ni Hao!
Post 1

Ni hao, Fang!

Welcome to glocals and good luck with the apartment!

You will indeed be arriving at a time when Geneva is at its most beautiful... Unlike what it must be like on the US East coast right now...

Once you settled in and know what part of the city you'll be staying in, I'll be happy to give you recommendations. For now my best recommendation for you is to go to glocals events! There's no topping that :)

Bon weekend,

Tal

Ni hao, Fang!

Welcome to glocals and good luck with the apartment!

You will indeed be arriving at a time when Geneva is at its most beautiful... Unlike what it must be like on the US East coast right now...

Once you settled in and know what part of the city you'll be staying in, I'll be happy to give you recommendations. For now my best recommendation for you is to go to glocals events! There's no topping that :)

Bon weekend,

Tal

Tal A, Feb 19, 2010 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Tal,

Ya, it's crazy in DC this winter. Still tons of snow everywhere :( I'm soooo looking forward to some summer sunshine and lake breeze. Right now, finding a short term sublease seems to be a problem for me. Apparently, not only me wants to make the best of the Geneva summer and the housing is as hot as the city over there~

I'll definitely try the glocal events once I'm settled there!

Have a nice weekend too!

Fang

Hey Tal,

Ya, it's crazy in DC this winter. Still tons of snow everywhere :( I'm soooo looking forward to some summer sunshine and lake breeze. Right now, finding a short term sublease seems to be a problem for me. Apparently, not only me wants to make the best of the Geneva summer and the housing is as hot as the city over there~

I'll definitely try the glocal events once I'm settled there!

Have a nice weekend too!

Fang

Vivianna He, Feb 20, 2010 @ 03:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Fang,

Gong Xi Fa Cai and welcome to Geneva!

Hope you already had some luck with the apartment, if not, you should lookup the Intranets of the various UN agencies. I believe ILO, UNOG, UNHCR etc have intranets sections where staff members post their apartments for sub-let for either long or short term durations. This was how I got my apartment just 2 months ago.

If you need details about this -- let me know...

Cheers

Hi Fang,

Gong Xi Fa Cai and welcome to Geneva!

Hope you already had some luck with the apartment, if not, you should lookup the Intranets of the various UN agencies. I believe ILO, UNOG, UNHCR etc have intranets sections where staff members post their apartments for sub-let for either long or short term durations. This was how I got my apartment just 2 months ago.

If you need details about this -- let me know...

Cheers

ephraim t, Feb 20, 2010 @ 23:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey there! Thanks for your information! I LOVE eating too! (& cooking, actually) Adventure to go~

Which organization are you working for? My supervisor at the ILO did not mention any intranet like that to me, he probably did not use it. He mentioned websites such as Glocal and Angloinfo though. Could you share more details with me please? Thx!!!!

btw, are you from HK?

Hey there! Thanks for your information! I LOVE eating too! (& cooking, actually) Adventure to go~

Which organization are you working for? My supervisor at the ILO did not mention any intranet like that to me, he probably did not use it. He mentioned websites such as Glocal and Angloinfo though. Could you share more details with me please? Thx!!!!

btw, are you from HK?

Vivianna He, Feb 21, 2010 @ 00:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

hahaha...tell me which Chinese person doesn't like eating!!

I work for UNHCR. We have an Intranet for staff members and have a section where we can post our apartments up for rent. Will write you separately on details.

I work for UNHCR. We have an Intranet for staff members and have a section where we can post our apartments up for rent. Will write you separately on details.

ephraim t, Feb 21, 2010 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Feb 21, 10 00:33

Yeah, I don't work for the NGOs but I've heard about this system too. You should have lots of luck with it. Also, it really doesn't make too much sense to look so far in advance - you will most likely take something that pops up on glocals or that intranet like 2 weeks before you come here. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but that's kind of the way it works here. People tend to find a place to live only at the last moment, really.

BTW where are you from in China?

Evan

Yeah, I don't work for the NGOs but I've heard about this system too. You should have lots of luck with it. Also, it really doesn't make too much sense to look so far in advance - you will most likely take something that pops up on glocals or that intranet like 2 weeks before you come here. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but that's kind of the way it works here. People tend to find a place to live only at the last moment, really.

BTW where are you from in China?

Evan

TheMoney, Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hey Evan,

I'm from the south part of China, a city called Xiamen which right opposite of Taiwan. Ya, I got the saying about start looking for apartment right before leaving and if I'm lucky I'll get one. I've also heard differently that I should start searching early....confused~ anyways, too early to get worried. 

Hey is ur gal Chinese too? (very cute, BTW)

Cheers, Vivianna

Hey Evan,

I'm from the south part of China, a city called Xiamen which right opposite of Taiwan. Ya, I got the saying about start looking for apartment right before leaving and if I'm lucky I'll get one. I've also heard differently that I should start searching early....confused~ anyways, too early to get worried. 

Hey is ur gal Chinese too? (very cute, BTW)

Cheers, Vivianna

Vivianna He, Feb 27, 2010 @ 06:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hey Vivianna,

That's cool that you're from Xiamen... do you speak Cantonese/Mandarin or both?

As far as the apartment search goes - if you're looking for something long-term, then yes definitely do lots of searching. But for something short-term like you're considering, you will most definitely find a suitable sublet within a few weeks of coming here unless you know someone. Best to at least familiarize yourself with Geneva's layout for now; if you need any help on choosing a neighborhood I can most likely help you out, I've lived all over GVA.

Haha yes the girl in my profile picture is Chinese, but she's an ABC (American-Born Chinese). We studied in Shanghai together and dated for a while. Thanks for the compliment - I'll tell her you said that :)

Evan

Hey Vivianna,

That's cool that you're from Xiamen... do you speak Cantonese/Mandarin or both?

As far as the apartment search goes - if you're looking for something long-term, then yes definitely do lots of searching. But for something short-term like you're considering, you will most definitely find a suitable sublet within a few weeks of coming here unless you know someone. Best to at least familiarize yourself with Geneva's layout for now; if you need any help on choosing a neighborhood I can most likely help you out, I've lived all over GVA.

Haha yes the girl in my profile picture is Chinese, but she's an ABC (American-Born Chinese). We studied in Shanghai together and dated for a while. Thanks for the compliment - I'll tell her you said that :)

Evan

TheMoney, Mar 1, 2010 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1172 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form