Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Potentially moving to Geneva with family this summer

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Potentially moving to Geneva with family this summer

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum, so hello to everyone.

My husband has an opportunity to move to Geneva with work later on this year. I'm quite interested to do so as we have a one year old and would like her to experience some fresh air rather than the polluted London air she is getting at the moment!

I've got a couple of questions:

1) We'd like to rent a 2 to 3 bedroom apartment/house with outdoor space. Is this possible in central Geneva, or would we have to live in the suburbs. If in the suburbs, can someone recommend a family friendly place with a good commute to the centre.

2) When people say Geneva is expensive, how expensive is expensive?!! We live in London so are used to quite high prices.

3) Is Geneva child friendly? From looking briefly at the forum it looks like it is. I'd be interested in talking to any parent about what kind of activities/groups there are in terms of baby groups.

thanks in advance 

Jacqui

The text you are quoting:

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum, so hello to everyone.

My husband has an opportunity to move to Geneva with work later on this year. I'm quite interested to do so as we have a one year old and would like her to experience some fresh air rather than the polluted London air she is getting at the moment!

I've got a couple of questions:

1) We'd like to rent a 2 to 3 bedroom apartment/house with outdoor space. Is this possible in central Geneva, or would we have to live in the suburbs. If in the suburbs, can someone recommend a family friendly place with a good commute to the centre.

2) When people say Geneva is expensive, how expensive is expensive?!! We live in London so are used to quite high prices.

3) Is Geneva child friendly? From looking briefly at the forum it looks like it is. I'd be interested in talking to any parent about what kind of activities/groups there are in terms of baby groups.

thanks in advance 

Jacqui

Jacqui DJan 3, 2011 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 2370 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Potentially moving to Geneva with family this summer
Post 1

I used a relocation services from Silverline Relacations.

U may browse through their site as they might be of great help to you

http://www.silverline-relocations.com/

I used a relocation services from Silverline Relacations.

U may browse through their site as they might be of great help to you

http://www.silverline-relocations.com/

allan c, Jan 14, 2011 @ 06:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi

I reckon the rental rates here are comparable to the nicer more desirable areas of London. Our apartment is situated in grounds with space for kids to play, has 3 beds, 2 bathrooms and an underground parking space and costs 3200chf with heating/hot water included. You can find places for less and you can also pay more. A house would be very expensive. 

Haven't got kids so I am not qualified to say but, Switzerland is very family friendly. It is very common to see families out together on a Sunday spending the day together. I see young expat families all the time, so I doubt you will struggle to make new friends.

Food and restaurants etc are comfortably 50% higher in most cases and sometimes in the case of eating out as much as double. It really depends where you go. I (and lots of people) often buy food in France which I prefer and the food there is marginally higher than it is in the UK.

Petrol is cheaper though and the public transport is excellent. Hope this helps.

Hi

I reckon the rental rates here are comparable to the nicer more desirable areas of London. Our apartment is situated in grounds with space for kids to play, has 3 beds, 2 bathrooms and an underground parking space and costs 3200chf with heating/hot water included. You can find places for less and you can also pay more. A house would be very expensive. 

Haven't got kids so I am not qualified to say but, Switzerland is very family friendly. It is very common to see families out together on a Sunday spending the day together. I see young expat families all the time, so I doubt you will struggle to make new friends.

Food and restaurants etc are comfortably 50% higher in most cases and sometimes in the case of eating out as much as double. It really depends where you go. I (and lots of people) often buy food in France which I prefer and the food there is marginally higher than it is in the UK.

Petrol is cheaper though and the public transport is excellent. Hope this helps.

Colette D, Jan 14, 2011 @ 08:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

both property websites, worth looking at to see rental price examples.

(remember this is Europe...so a rented appartment doesn't even come with lightbulbs!! dont get a shock. Some places will require you to equip the kitchen..some wont...  3 bed rentals start from about 2000 if youre lucky.... to 10'000 plus plus per month.)

As for commuting, Nyon is 15 mins from the centre of Gva by train... regular , on time, service. surrounding villages are nice. 20-40 mins by car... the higher end is rush hour.

Central Gva can be quite crowded in terms of appartments, and very competative.. worth looking on the outskirts of Gva, you get more bang for your buck, and commuting is easy here compared to London.

As for kids... there is a book you can buy that has everything you need to know about things to do with kids in Gva and the surrounding areas... available in the english book shops here.

plus this site has some useful info :  http://geneva.angloinfo.com/af/422/geneva-family-life-and-living-in-geneva.html

Good luck / bon chance

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

both property websites, worth looking at to see rental price examples.

(remember this is Europe...so a rented appartment doesn't even come with lightbulbs!! dont get a shock. Some places will require you to equip the kitchen..some wont...  3 bed rentals start from about 2000 if youre lucky.... to 10'000 plus plus per month.)

As for commuting, Nyon is 15 mins from the centre of Gva by train... regular , on time, service. surrounding villages are nice. 20-40 mins by car... the higher end is rush hour.

Central Gva can be quite crowded in terms of appartments, and very competative.. worth looking on the outskirts of Gva, you get more bang for your buck, and commuting is easy here compared to London.

As for kids... there is a book you can buy that has everything you need to know about things to do with kids in Gva and the surrounding areas... available in the english book shops here.

plus this site has some useful info :  http://geneva.angloinfo.com/af/422/geneva-family-life-and-living-in-geneva.html

Good luck / bon chance

Charlie, Jan 14, 2011 @ 08:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 2370 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form