Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Prepping our move to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Prepping our move to Geneva

Hi GLocals,

Great website for people moving! As everyone here, we're also facing the housing challenge. We will be arriving in geneva in January 2018 and won't have time for a big housing hunt beforehand (we're also missing an employment contract, domicile and other things the Regie might want).

For this reason we'll probably try Airbnb for a month, to then find a place for a more permanent stay. Does this sound like the right way to go? What are typical start dates of contracts? (e.g. February 1st is a Thursday).

I also read contradicting stories about living in France. Some people recommend because it would be cheaper. Others say it's the same price and even others just hate the commuting and want to move. I'll probably work in Lausanne, so for me a commute will be necesary anyway. My girlfriend will have an internship in Geneva.

Anything else that comes to mind: please let us know!

The text you are quoting:

Hi GLocals,

Great website for people moving! As everyone here, we're also facing the housing challenge. We will be arriving in geneva in January 2018 and won't have time for a big housing hunt beforehand (we're also missing an employment contract, domicile and other things the Regie might want).

For this reason we'll probably try Airbnb for a month, to then find a place for a more permanent stay. Does this sound like the right way to go? What are typical start dates of contracts? (e.g. February 1st is a Thursday).

I also read contradicting stories about living in France. Some people recommend because it would be cheaper. Others say it's the same price and even others just hate the commuting and want to move. I'll probably work in Lausanne, so for me a commute will be necesary anyway. My girlfriend will have an internship in Geneva.

Anything else that comes to mind: please let us know!

Toon PNov 20, 2017 @ 09:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 894 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Prepping our move to Geneva
Post 1

Welcome to Glocals as one who lived very happily in Antwerpen for 15 years.

We now live outside Evian-les-Bains and could not be happier - it's wonderful.

All the neighbours in our Impasse work in CH, taking the 07.00 boat across the lake.

Here in France, you will find fewer restrictions and petty rules which apply in Switzerland.

If you are looking for temporary accommodation, try Leboncoin, click on the Rhone-Alps area, then under toutes catagories, look under either Ventes Immobilier or Location.

If you need further help, do not hesitate to contact us, as we have managed to help a number of people before you. Good luck en welkom!

The text you are quoting:

Welcome to Glocals as one who lived very happily in Antwerpen for 15 years.

We now live outside Evian-les-Bains and could not be happier - it's wonderful.

All the neighbours in our Impasse work in CH, taking the 07.00 boat across the lake.

Here in France, you will find fewer restrictions and petty rules which apply in Switzerland.

If you are looking for temporary accommodation, try Leboncoin, click on the Rhone-Alps area, then under toutes catagories, look under either Ventes Immobilier or Location.

If you need further help, do not hesitate to contact us, as we have managed to help a number of people before you. Good luck en welkom!

sheila c, Nov 24, 2017 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 894 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form