Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Shops close in the evening itself! It must be fun leaving work early to shop then!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Shops close in the evening itself! It must be fun leaving work early to shop then!

http://www.inyourpocket.com/Switzerland/Zurich/Basics/Opening-Hours

In the last decade opening hours in Zurich have been liberalised. Shops are now allowed to be open Mon to Sat from 06:00 - 23:00, though only few are open that long. On Sundays only shops in railway and petrol stations are allowed to be open.

Here is a rough guide to opening hours in Zurich: Shops in the city centre i.e. around Bahnhofstrasse are usually open Mon to Fri 09:00 - 20:00. Smaller shops including jewellers and shops outside the centre might already close at 18:30 or 19:00. On Saturdays you can expect shops in the centre to be open from 09:00 - 17:00, though some will be open until 18:00 and the big warehouses like Jelmoli or Globus even until 20:00.

Is this for real? No shops on Sundays?

By the way, what are the usual working hours in offices and universities in Zurich? I hope it reflects the early closing time of shops in the city.

The text you are quoting:

http://www.inyourpocket.com/Switzerland/Zurich/Basics/Opening-Hours

In the last decade opening hours in Zurich have been liberalised. Shops are now allowed to be open Mon to Sat from 06:00 - 23:00, though only few are open that long. On Sundays only shops in railway and petrol stations are allowed to be open.

Here is a rough guide to opening hours in Zurich: Shops in the city centre i.e. around Bahnhofstrasse are usually open Mon to Fri 09:00 - 20:00. Smaller shops including jewellers and shops outside the centre might already close at 18:30 or 19:00. On Saturdays you can expect shops in the centre to be open from 09:00 - 17:00, though some will be open until 18:00 and the big warehouses like Jelmoli or Globus even until 20:00.

Is this for real? No shops on Sundays?

By the way, what are the usual working hours in offices and universities in Zurich? I hope it reflects the early closing time of shops in the city.

Pavi MAug 13, 2014 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1036 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Shops close in the evening itself! It must be fun leaving work early to shop then!
Post 1

You think that's bad try living in Lucerne - the world stops at 4pm on Saturday and doesn't wake up again unti Monday morning

And the shops close at 6pm during the week except for Thursday

You think that's bad try living in Lucerne - the world stops at 4pm on Saturday and doesn't wake up again unti Monday morning

And the shops close at 6pm during the week except for Thursday

mark w, Aug 14, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Shops close in the evening itself! It must be fun leaving work early to shop then!
Post 2

Think of the poor shop assistants.....

Think of the poor shop assistants.....

sheila c, Aug 14, 2014 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yes, it is such a hard working country isn't it?  So why I keep hearing all the time that Zurich is the place to live because it has all what the other cities lack?....seems all the same to me.

Yes, it is such a hard working country isn't it?  So why I keep hearing all the time that Zurich is the place to live because it has all what the other cities lack?....seems all the same to me.

Jean-Jacques B, Aug 14, 2014 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Aug 14, 14 19:55

For some people, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

For some people, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Ritchie, Aug 14, 2014 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Well, I think its a good lifestyle (probably thats why you are living and working here!)

Talking about Geneva...

I like the fact that it respects everyone's 'rest day = Sunday'....including the guys working in Manor, Globus Migros and Co-op...or wherever u shop from..so most people have a 'weekend'

If you need to shop, you leave in time on Thursdays as most shops are open until 730 or eve 9 ...or you have the Saturday for it...

:)

Well, I think its a good lifestyle (probably thats why you are living and working here!)

Talking about Geneva...

I like the fact that it respects everyone's 'rest day = Sunday'....including the guys working in Manor, Globus Migros and Co-op...or wherever u shop from..so most people have a 'weekend'

If you need to shop, you leave in time on Thursdays as most shops are open until 730 or eve 9 ...or you have the Saturday for it...

:)

Siddarth R, Aug 15, 2014 @ 00:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Sorry Pami, I just noticed...you havent moved here yet!

Just get disciplined and learn to shop during your lunch breaks or on Thursday evenings

Sorry Pami, I just noticed...you havent moved here yet!

Just get disciplined and learn to shop during your lunch breaks or on Thursday evenings

Siddarth R, Aug 15, 2014 @ 00:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

So, based on the above information, it is only restaurants, hotels and bars that remain open as long as shops in other countries, correct?

Do they at least keep the(or some) pharmacies open till late in the night? What if someone is in dire need of some medicine.

So, based on the above information, it is only restaurants, hotels and bars that remain open as long as shops in other countries, correct?

Do they at least keep the(or some) pharmacies open till late in the night? What if someone is in dire need of some medicine.

Pavi M, Aug 15, 2014 @ 06:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

robert m, Aug 15, 2014 @ 08:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Aug 15, 14 06:32

By random some pharmacies remain open for urgent matters until 23hr or during the night. You van check the schedule here: pharmageneve.pharmacity.ch

By random some pharmacies remain open for urgent matters until 23hr or during the night. You van check the schedule here: pharmageneve.pharmacity.ch

Jack B, Aug 15, 2014 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Aug 15, 14 06:32

With all your interests and talents, I really cannot fathom your preoccupation with shopping hours.

True, in CH, they are very different from those in India or the US (and even neighbouring countries) but we manage to acquire life’s necessities, get excellent medical care, and enjoy our leisure time quite successfully for all that.

Switzerland has much more to offer than 24/7 shopping, so brace yourself, take a deep breath, and experience a different life-style in your new host country.  After all, you might even come to prefer it.

All the best, R.

With all your interests and talents, I really cannot fathom your preoccupation with shopping hours.

True, in CH, they are very different from those in India or the US (and even neighbouring countries) but we manage to acquire life’s necessities, get excellent medical care, and enjoy our leisure time quite successfully for all that.

Switzerland has much more to offer than 24/7 shopping, so brace yourself, take a deep breath, and experience a different life-style in your new host country.  After all, you might even come to prefer it.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 15, 2014 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

All the best, R.

Aug 15, 14 08:54

Well, please excuse me if my curiosity about a new culture/place comes across as being rigid or whiny.

I'm not preoccupied with shopping or shopping hours. I would just like to understand what goes on on the streets if the shops are closed. My guess right now is people just stay indoors and don't go out that much, which I don't think is bad in anyway; I just think it is different. I am going to find out in two weeks' time anyway.

Well, please excuse me if my curiosity about a new culture/place comes across as being rigid or whiny.

I'm not preoccupied with shopping or shopping hours. I would just like to understand what goes on on the streets if the shops are closed. My guess right now is people just stay indoors and don't go out that much, which I don't think is bad in anyway; I just think it is different. I am going to find out in two weeks' time anyway.

Pavi M, Aug 15, 2014 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1036 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form