Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Starting my Masters degree in Geneva (?)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Starting my Masters degree in Geneva (?)

Hi there, I have been granted the opportunity to move to Geneva to start my masters degree in September ...and, well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but I'm having cold feet. I'm mainly worried about cost of living. As a 31 year who's used to working and being independant, the idea of going back to being a student, and living off of next to nothing, possibly in a university residence, is a bit frightening. So, I've joined glocals to try to find out what it's like to live in Geneva, especially as a foreign student, and how to find housing and part-time work, and to make some new friends...

More than anythng, I need some encouragement!

Sherri

The text you are quoting:

Hi there, I have been granted the opportunity to move to Geneva to start my masters degree in September ...and, well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but I'm having cold feet. I'm mainly worried about cost of living. As a 31 year who's used to working and being independant, the idea of going back to being a student, and living off of next to nothing, possibly in a university residence, is a bit frightening. So, I've joined glocals to try to find out what it's like to live in Geneva, especially as a foreign student, and how to find housing and part-time work, and to make some new friends...

More than anythng, I need some encouragement!

Sherri

Sherri CMar 26, 2010 @ 01:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1817 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Starting my Masters degree in Geneva (?)
Post 1

Hey Sherri, 

To live a decent non-studenty life in GVA, I think you'll need around CHF 3000 a month atleast (incl rent), meaning USD 3000. Below that you'll probably be looking indeed at more of a student life style.

What school will you be going to?

Nir

Hey Sherri, 

To live a decent non-studenty life in GVA, I think you'll need around CHF 3000 a month atleast (incl rent), meaning USD 3000. Below that you'll probably be looking indeed at more of a student life style.

What school will you be going to?

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 26, 2010 @ 08:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

*DISCLOSURE: I work at Webster University in Geneva*

Congratulations on taking a big leap into graduate studies and coming to the biggest small city that I know. It won't take you long to learn how to get around the city and Glocals can connect you to the coolest, most social people. It seems like everyone is from somewhere else and the international feeling is energizing.

With luck, the university you've chosen will have good student services to support your transition to life in Switzerland, good housing services so you can settle and get into your studies quickly, and career services that connect you to internship (sometimes paid) opportunities. I've heard that with a student permit you're allowed 20 hours per week.

As Nir indicates in his post... this is not an inexpensive place to live, but it is hugely rich in what it can offer.

*DISCLOSURE: I work at Webster University in Geneva*

Congratulations on taking a big leap into graduate studies and coming to the biggest small city that I know. It won't take you long to learn how to get around the city and Glocals can connect you to the coolest, most social people. It seems like everyone is from somewhere else and the international feeling is energizing.

With luck, the university you've chosen will have good student services to support your transition to life in Switzerland, good housing services so you can settle and get into your studies quickly, and career services that connect you to internship (sometimes paid) opportunities. I've heard that with a student permit you're allowed 20 hours per week.

As Nir indicates in his post... this is not an inexpensive place to live, but it is hugely rich in what it can offer.

machang, Mar 26, 2010 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi there,

well, I can also say that students get some discount in some fields...

Good luck, who knows after you finish the Masters you engage in the Phd here !

Hi there,

well, I can also say that students get some discount in some fields...

Good luck, who knows after you finish the Masters you engage in the Phd here !

apacat, Mar 26, 2010 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi all, thanks for your replies. After thinking it through long and hard, and almost rejecting the offer outright, I've finally come to my senses and decided to accept. I will be attending the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in September. ... now to sort out housing...Wish me luck!

Hi all, thanks for your replies. After thinking it through long and hard, and almost rejecting the offer outright, I've finally come to my senses and decided to accept. I will be attending the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in September. ... now to sort out housing...Wish me luck!

Sherri C, May 8, 2010 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey Sherri, 

Good luck on your studies!

What's The Graduate Institute? Is it in GVA?

Nir

Hey Sherri, 

Nir

Nir Ofek, May 8, 2010 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey Sherri!  Good Luck to you =)  I took am starting my master's (at Webster) this fall coming from a corporate position.  Let's commiserate this fall.

Hey Sherri!  Good Luck to you =)  I took am starting my master's (at Webster) this fall coming from a corporate position.  Let's commiserate this fall.

Magie Hall, May 15, 2010 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hey Sherri, 

Nir

May 8, 10 22:00

The Graduate Institute of International and Development studies is (sort of) associated with the University of Geneva. They offer master and phd degrees in international relations, international law, development studies, etc...

The Graduate Institute of International and Development studies is (sort of) associated with the University of Geneva. They offer master and phd degrees in international relations, international law, development studies, etc...

Sherri C, May 15, 2010 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Good luck to you too Maggie. We're going to have an awesome experience!

Good luck to you too Maggie. We're going to have an awesome experience!

Sherri C, May 15, 2010 @ 23:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Congratulations and welcome in the friendly Glocals community! 

Geneva life is very enjoyable -- it offers a very high quality of living and a truly international environment.

All the best, and good luck for your Master degree!

Congratulations and welcome in the friendly Glocals community! 

Geneva life is very enjoyable -- it offers a very high quality of living and a truly international environment.

All the best, and good luck for your Master degree!

TheOmegaMan, May 16, 2010 @ 01:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1817 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form