Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Work Permit B & Self Employment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Work Permit B & Self Employment

Hello everyone

I am moving to Geneva from UK at the beginning of March. I am looking to set up as self employed as a Therapist and I know I need to apply for Permit B. I'm hesitant about getting and paying for things like long term lease on flat, residence permit and insurance etc if after 3 months they don't give me one.

Has anyone been through this experience recently and has any wise words to offer me. Most gratefeul :)

Farah

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone

I am moving to Geneva from UK at the beginning of March. I am looking to set up as self employed as a Therapist and I know I need to apply for Permit B. I'm hesitant about getting and paying for things like long term lease on flat, residence permit and insurance etc if after 3 months they don't give me one.

Has anyone been through this experience recently and has any wise words to offer me. Most gratefeul :)

Farah

farah jFeb 14, 2017 @ 11:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Work Permit B & Self Employment
Post 1

Hey Farah. I think you may be looking at it in the wrong order. You will need a residence permit to get a long term lease, any landlord will ask for it. Same with insurance, it only becomes mandatory once you are a resident.

I think your best course of action is to get travel insurance, find a short term sublet or flat share and apply for the permit. After you get it you can make your long term plans.

Hey Farah. I think you may be looking at it in the wrong order. You will need a residence permit to get a long term lease, any landlord will ask for it. Same with insurance, it only becomes mandatory once you are a resident.

I think your best course of action is to get travel insurance, find a short term sublet or flat share and apply for the permit. After you get it you can make your long term plans.

catalin, Feb 14, 2017 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Catalin...that certainly clears things up! :)

Thank you Catalin...that certainly clears things up! :)

farah j, Feb 14, 2017 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Catalin, does the travel insurance need to cover anything specific? I can't find any information. Thank you  :)

Catalin, does the travel insurance need to cover anything specific? I can't find any information. Thank you  :)

farah j, Feb 25, 2017 @ 21:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You will also have to consider where you are going to practise as a therapist.  If you are planning to do so at home, the Régie or landlord has to be informed, ditto the authority that issues work permits.

You will also have to consider where you are going to practise as a therapist.  If you are planning to do so at home, the Régie or landlord has to be informed, ditto the authority that issues work permits.

Ritchie, Feb 25, 2017 @ 23:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Feb 14, 17 16:28

insurance is needed within 3 months of moving, even if they don't approve your permit yet. 

Self employment permits can take a while to come through, just a warning, I'm in Vaud but mine is taking ages! 

insurance is needed within 3 months of moving, even if they don't approve your permit yet. 

Self employment permits can take a while to come through, just a warning, I'm in Vaud but mine is taking ages! 

Abigail F, Feb 26, 2017 @ 23:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thankyou that's good to know but i'm not clear what is really going to work yet. I'm guesdingbi can infirm them if my cicrumstances change.

Thankyou that's good to know but i'm not clear what is really going to work yet. I'm guesdingbi can infirm them if my cicrumstances change.

farah j, Feb 27, 2017 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Feb 26, 17 23:45

Hi Abigail, so i don't need insurance to apply for my permit? Have i understood that correctly?

Hi Abigail, so i don't need insurance to apply for my permit? Have i understood that correctly?

farah j, Feb 27, 2017 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

No you don't need health insurance but you will need it within 3 months of arriving and depending on the company they may or may not back date it to when you arrived. 

You do need to register with the AVS for a number like an NI number you have in the UK 

No you don't need health insurance but you will need it within 3 months of arriving and depending on the company they may or may not back date it to when you arrived. 

You do need to register with the AVS for a number like an NI number you have in the UK 

Abigail F, Feb 27, 2017 @ 20:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Gaining AVS status as an independent is not automatic. You need to submit a dosssier including multiple client contracts, invoices etc to meet certain criteria. contact OCAS for more info

Gaining AVS status as an independent is not automatic. You need to submit a dosssier including multiple client contracts, invoices etc to meet certain criteria. contact OCAS for more info

Amy Soska, Feb 28, 2017 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form