Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
hello from Brazil

Hello everybody,

I have registered myself at glocals.ch because I am leaving Brazil in a couple of weeks heading to Lugano and then Lausanne and Geneva. If someone could help me finding a job I would appreciate since I definately do not want to be a burden to the Swiss government. I have extensive background in administration/management, export business but maybe asking for a managing position is a long shot considering I have been away from Switzerland for too long. I can consider any administrative job that allows myself to setlle in Geneva/Vaud/Ticino regions. I am Swiss, 47 (please tell me this is not a problem in Switzerland) and I speak English, French and Portuguese.

Again, I appreciate any help and hope to meet you all soon.

Thanks, from cold Brazil (it was around zero degree this morning...) :-)

Marilena

The text you are quoting:

Hello everybody,

I have registered myself at glocals.ch because I am leaving Brazil in a couple of weeks heading to Lugano and then Lausanne and Geneva. If someone could help me finding a job I would appreciate since I definately do not want to be a burden to the Swiss government. I have extensive background in administration/management, export business but maybe asking for a managing position is a long shot considering I have been away from Switzerland for too long. I can consider any administrative job that allows myself to setlle in Geneva/Vaud/Ticino regions. I am Swiss, 47 (please tell me this is not a problem in Switzerland) and I speak English, French and Portuguese.

Again, I appreciate any help and hope to meet you all soon.

Thanks, from cold Brazil (it was around zero degree this morning...) :-)

Marilena

Marilena KrajdenJul 5, 2011 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 729 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: hello from Brazil
Post 1

Hi Marilena,

Well, a pre-welcome to Switzerland!!! How did you choose those cities? To visit or to look for work? Will you stay in Geneva or you're not sure, yet.

Your best bet is to search the Classifieds here and on worldradio.ch and other local websites. Check the UN sites. Etc.

Summer is the best time to visit/arrive in Geneva. You'll have a good time, for sure. Check out the Things to Tab and sign up for stuff. New Members' Drinks, glocals parties, sports, language exchange, outdoor movies, etc.

I can't imagine your age would matter, but what do I know, I'm self-"employed."

See you soon!

Hi Marilena,

Well, a pre-welcome to Switzerland!!! How did you choose those cities? To visit or to look for work? Will you stay in Geneva or you're not sure, yet.

Your best bet is to search the Classifieds here and on worldradio.ch and other local websites. Check the UN sites. Etc.

Summer is the best time to visit/arrive in Geneva. You'll have a good time, for sure. Check out the Things to Tab and sign up for stuff. New Members' Drinks, glocals parties, sports, language exchange, outdoor movies, etc.

I can't imagine your age would matter, but what do I know, I'm self-"employed."

See you soon!

Zonker, Jul 5, 2011 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Zonker,

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I lived 3 years in Geneva in the past ( about 20 years ago) and I have good memories from staying there. Lausanne became an option because I know cost of living is cheaper than Geneva and not far away. I am also considering a place in the Italian part because of my family. Suppose Italian will be easier for them than French and I also tend to think Swiss from Ticino are more friendly (my family is very Brazilian!) but having said so, I also believe there are less jobs, and salaries are lower than the French part... Ticino therefore is not my priority for the moment but it remains as a possibility.

I have applied to several jobs but the impression I have is that I am overqualified for an assistant and not suitable for a managing position because I have been away from Swtzerland for too long...What is the way out of this? :-)

Glad to know age is not a problem. I am actually counting on this. In Brazil it is a serious limitation...

See you!

Hi Zonker,

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I lived 3 years in Geneva in the past ( about 20 years ago) and I have good memories from staying there. Lausanne became an option because I know cost of living is cheaper than Geneva and not far away. I am also considering a place in the Italian part because of my family. Suppose Italian will be easier for them than French and I also tend to think Swiss from Ticino are more friendly (my family is very Brazilian!) but having said so, I also believe there are less jobs, and salaries are lower than the French part... Ticino therefore is not my priority for the moment but it remains as a possibility.

I have applied to several jobs but the impression I have is that I am overqualified for an assistant and not suitable for a managing position because I have been away from Swtzerland for too long...What is the way out of this? :-)

Glad to know age is not a problem. I am actually counting on this. In Brazil it is a serious limitation...

See you!

Marilena Krajden, Jul 5, 2011 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello Marilena, how are you?

Eu sou brasileira e moro em Genebra. I have been in Switzerland since 2006. I did a masters degree in media and communications in Geneva and got some experiences as intern and freelance in the field. I am currently also looking for a job and it has not been easy at all for me. As a Brazilian, things are way more difficult than for Swiss or Europeans. I don't think you will have much problem in finding a job in Geneva as the demand for Portuguese speakers in banking/financing is increasing. With your experience, I am sure you will find something soon.

In my are is more complicated as they always ask for "native English speakers" in communications and although I have a good CV, speak 3 languages and have a Swiss diploma I don't even get my emails returned. 

The World Economic Forum is always looking for admin people. Try their website, careers page. A friend of mine just had a job interview there today.

If you want to get together for a chat and experiences exchange when you get in Geneva, please let me know and p.m me.

My best wishes,

Ana Paula Schaepers

Hello Marilena, how are you?

Eu sou brasileira e moro em Genebra. I have been in Switzerland since 2006. I did a masters degree in media and communications in Geneva and got some experiences as intern and freelance in the field. I am currently also looking for a job and it has not been easy at all for me. As a Brazilian, things are way more difficult than for Swiss or Europeans. I don't think you will have much problem in finding a job in Geneva as the demand for Portuguese speakers in banking/financing is increasing. With your experience, I am sure you will find something soon.

In my are is more complicated as they always ask for "native English speakers" in communications and although I have a good CV, speak 3 languages and have a Swiss diploma I don't even get my emails returned. 

The World Economic Forum is always looking for admin people. Try their website, careers page. A friend of mine just had a job interview there today.

If you want to get together for a chat and experiences exchange when you get in Geneva, please let me know and p.m me.

My best wishes,

Ana Paula Schaepers

Anajorn, Jul 5, 2011 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Marilena

Another advice I can give to you that I did myself:

I used to in central Geneva, which is great, but you pay like 2'500 CHF for a tiny apartment. A good three bedroomed apartment is not less 4'000 CHF!!

Then I got married and moved to France. Believe it or not, just by crossing the Swiss border the prices go down. I live in a big house (200 m2), with a big garden, great views and I pay the equivalent of a 4 room apartment in Geneva. Plus, shopping in France is way much cheaper than shopping at Coop or Migros.

The best thing? I am just 25 mins away from central Geneva by car. I live 12 mins. from Geneva airport, walking distance to Gex (supermarkets, banks etc.), 25 mins. driving to the Jura mountain and ski stations and really close to Geneva. There is also a bus that goes direct do Cornavin and Divonne les Bains, a pretty and nice French city is about 15 minutes away, with a very nice lake to be enjoyed in summer. Resuming: living in neighbouring France is a great deal!!

Ana

Marilena

Another advice I can give to you that I did myself:

I used to in central Geneva, which is great, but you pay like 2'500 CHF for a tiny apartment. A good three bedroomed apartment is not less 4'000 CHF!!

Then I got married and moved to France. Believe it or not, just by crossing the Swiss border the prices go down. I live in a big house (200 m2), with a big garden, great views and I pay the equivalent of a 4 room apartment in Geneva. Plus, shopping in France is way much cheaper than shopping at Coop or Migros.

The best thing? I am just 25 mins away from central Geneva by car. I live 12 mins. from Geneva airport, walking distance to Gex (supermarkets, banks etc.), 25 mins. driving to the Jura mountain and ski stations and really close to Geneva. There is also a bus that goes direct do Cornavin and Divonne les Bains, a pretty and nice French city is about 15 minutes away, with a very nice lake to be enjoyed in summer. Resuming: living in neighbouring France is a great deal!!

Ana

Anajorn, Jul 5, 2011 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

You live in France, cost of life is much cheaper and you get all facilities of the region. Well you lived in Brazil so you know that 20 mins. driving here is nothing compared to what we experience in Brasil in terms of traffic and distances. Here where I live everybody commutes to Geneva everyday.

You live in France, cost of life is much cheaper and you get all facilities of the region. Well you lived in Brazil so you know that 20 mins. driving here is nothing compared to what we experience in Brasil in terms of traffic and distances. Here where I live everybody commutes to Geneva everyday.

Anajorn, Jul 5, 2011 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Ana,

Sorry to hear you are in trouble to get a job...I understand you are not Swiss??? I know...Brazilian passports do not take us far enough...

Yes, I was thinking about the possibility of living in France. I remember in the past I used to do my shopping in France but then...how easy is for Swiss and Brazilians to live just over the border? Don't we need to be registered at the contrôle des habitants in Switzerland in order to work and have a normal life? And what documents do the French authorities ask for? For my guidance, what would cost a 3 bedroom apartment/house in Divonne or anywhere else near the Geneva border?

Valeu, Ana! :-)

Hi Ana,

Sorry to hear you are in trouble to get a job...I understand you are not Swiss??? I know...Brazilian passports do not take us far enough...

Yes, I was thinking about the possibility of living in France. I remember in the past I used to do my shopping in France but then...how easy is for Swiss and Brazilians to live just over the border? Don't we need to be registered at the contrôle des habitants in Switzerland in order to work and have a normal life? And what documents do the French authorities ask for? For my guidance, what would cost a 3 bedroom apartment/house in Divonne or anywhere else near the Geneva border?

Valeu, Ana! :-)

Marilena Krajden, Jul 5, 2011 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 729 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form