Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > new in bern: looking to meet some new friends

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
new in bern: looking to meet some new friends

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to Bern in the past month. Are there many glocalites living here? I'm originally from Ireland so some of my interests are typically Irish - having a laugh, few drinks, getting to know people. I'm not particularly sporty but am thinking that I may change that since I've moved here.

Oooh...does anyone know if there are any yoga classes in Bern? Preferably in English, my German isn't the best at the moment.

Suz.

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to Bern in the past month. Are there many glocalites living here? I'm originally from Ireland so some of my interests are typically Irish - having a laugh, few drinks, getting to know people. I'm not particularly sporty but am thinking that I may change that since I've moved here.

Oooh...does anyone know if there are any yoga classes in Bern? Preferably in English, my German isn't the best at the moment.

Suz.

Susanne CMar 1, 2010 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 858 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: new in bern: looking to meet some new friends
Post 1

Hi Susanne,

I'm, Mireille and have a question....

since you just moved to Bern, I might be in the same situation as yours- well sort of. Being a EU citizen, did you just moved to Switzerland and looking for a job or did you have to apply for a permit upon arrival?

I know the rules for EU in switzerland however it strikes me that it will be easier to find a job only when we move there. We have been applying for jobs my partner and my partner recently had an interview but in the end a local was prefered although the Company did say my partner was very competent for the position.our Irish recruiter suggested that he would have got the job if we were already based there?Seems that Company can be bothered to apply for those B permits.... What do you think? are you there for work purposes ? if yes, could you  share your experience with us? thanks

Mireille

M

Hi Susanne,

I'm, Mireille and have a question....

since you just moved to Bern, I might be in the same situation as yours- well sort of. Being a EU citizen, did you just moved to Switzerland and looking for a job or did you have to apply for a permit upon arrival?

I know the rules for EU in switzerland however it strikes me that it will be easier to find a job only when we move there. We have been applying for jobs my partner and my partner recently had an interview but in the end a local was prefered although the Company did say my partner was very competent for the position.our Irish recruiter suggested that he would have got the job if we were already based there?Seems that Company can be bothered to apply for those B permits.... What do you think? are you there for work purposes ? if yes, could you  share your experience with us? thanks

Mireille

M

Mireille V, Mar 26, 2010 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Mireille,

My experience was slightly different. I joined an agency, and through them got a job here in Bern. They didn't have any Swiss applicants with the experience they were looking for so I guess I was quite lucky. It was ok then getting a permit (a B permit), my work also helped me with that as well.

I'm not sure what would be the best route for you. Most people that I know moved here after getting a job offer so I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a permit without a job offer. I'm sure when I got my permit I had to have a work contract.

If I can help with any other questions, please let me know.

Susanne.

Hi Mireille,

My experience was slightly different. I joined an agency, and through them got a job here in Bern. They didn't have any Swiss applicants with the experience they were looking for so I guess I was quite lucky. It was ok then getting a permit (a B permit), my work also helped me with that as well.

I'm not sure what would be the best route for you. Most people that I know moved here after getting a job offer so I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a permit without a job offer. I'm sure when I got my permit I had to have a work contract.

If I can help with any other questions, please let me know.

Susanne.

Susanne C, Mar 28, 2010 @ 17:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Suzanne,

I'm not really new in Bern (neither in Switzerland)... but new in glocals and always interessted to meet new people...

Did you find a Yoga class in english ? otherwise I know one in french... let me know if you're interessted.

CU, leila 

Hi Suzanne,

I'm not really new in Bern (neither in Switzerland)... but new in glocals and always interessted to meet new people...

Did you find a Yoga class in english ? otherwise I know one in french... let me know if you're interessted.

CU, leila 

Leila P, May 20, 2010 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Leila,

I never did get round to finding a class so any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

thank you,

Susanne.

Hi Leila,

I never did get round to finding a class so any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

thank you,

Susanne.

Susanne C, May 24, 2010 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi there,

If you're interested in doing some cool artsy stuff nearby, I'm organizing some tours during which people generally meet and have a great time together. Below you can find the info.  Hope you can join us at some point.

Guided art tour of Zurich galleries - Join us for an exciting tour of some of the best contemporary art spaces in downtown Zurich. We will start with coffee and sweets at one gallery where the gallerist will discuss the artists and the current show, and end our tour with a food and drink reception at another space. 40chf per person includes tour and food/drink. Sunday, June 13 at noon. RSVP by June 1 to [email protected].

Art tour of Satellite Art Fairs in Basel - During a 4-day weekend in June, the art world gathers in Basel for Art Basel. But there’s more to see than just the long-established fair. Join us on this tour of contemporary art and alternative fairs to discover some of the more interesting up-and-coming artists from all over the world. During this tour you will get an exclusive introduction to LISTE, the young art fair, by the fair’s director, after which I will take you around to some of the coolest up-and-coming international galleries. We will end with a short apero, then you will have time to wander freely through the interesting spaces. 40CHF includes entrance ticket, exclusive introduction by fair director, guided tour and apero. Transportation to Basel is not included. Saturday, June 19 at noon. RSVP by June 1 to [email protected].

If you enroll for both tours, you save 10chf for a total of 70chf!!! Make sure you email me directly to confirm your participation.

Hi there,

If you're interested in doing some cool artsy stuff nearby, I'm organizing some tours during which people generally meet and have a great time together. Below you can find the info.  Hope you can join us at some point.

Guided art tour of Zurich galleries - Join us for an exciting tour of some of the best contemporary art spaces in downtown Zurich. We will start with coffee and sweets at one gallery where the gallerist will discuss the artists and the current show, and end our tour with a food and drink reception at another space. 40chf per person includes tour and food/drink. Sunday, June 13 at noon. RSVP by June 1 to [email protected].

Art tour of Satellite Art Fairs in Basel - During a 4-day weekend in June, the art world gathers in Basel for Art Basel. But there’s more to see than just the long-established fair. Join us on this tour of contemporary art and alternative fairs to discover some of the more interesting up-and-coming artists from all over the world. During this tour you will get an exclusive introduction to LISTE, the young art fair, by the fair’s director, after which I will take you around to some of the coolest up-and-coming international galleries. We will end with a short apero, then you will have time to wander freely through the interesting spaces. 40CHF includes entrance ticket, exclusive introduction by fair director, guided tour and apero. Transportation to Basel is not included. Saturday, June 19 at noon. RSVP by June 1 to [email protected].

If you enroll for both tours, you save 10chf for a total of 70chf!!! Make sure you email me directly to confirm your participation.

olgastefan, May 25, 2010 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 858 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form