Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > team up for apartment hunting - newbies in Geneve

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
team up for apartment hunting - newbies in Geneve

Hi,

I am looking for a place to live during my internship from Sep - Dec. So far i havent got any luck yet.

I think it maybe give us ( people who desperately looking for an apartment ) a wider choices and oppurtunities if we can team up together, since sometime I found an apartment that have two bed rooms available and so on or atleast this will help us sharing information amongs one who is looking for an apartment and it might also give us a company to search for an apartment together when we are in Geneva.

I am 29 yrs, Female from Bangkok, Thailand. I can speak English and French ( trying level ). I used to live in Europe for the last nine months for my study. I am interested in Development issue, but also I love to meet new people and party a lot.

So dont be scare of me, if anyone thinks is a good idea, contact me back soon ..

Ciao Tutti ..

Nicha

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I am looking for a place to live during my internship from Sep - Dec. So far i havent got any luck yet.

I think it maybe give us ( people who desperately looking for an apartment ) a wider choices and oppurtunities if we can team up together, since sometime I found an apartment that have two bed rooms available and so on or atleast this will help us sharing information amongs one who is looking for an apartment and it might also give us a company to search for an apartment together when we are in Geneva.

I am 29 yrs, Female from Bangkok, Thailand. I can speak English and French ( trying level ). I used to live in Europe for the last nine months for my study. I am interested in Development issue, but also I love to meet new people and party a lot.

So dont be scare of me, if anyone thinks is a good idea, contact me back soon ..

Ciao Tutti ..

Nicha

nichapat nAug 13, 2010 @ 04:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

26 Replies | 1020 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: team up for apartment hunting - newbies in Geneve
Post 1

A Dutch girl and me are also looking for an apartment... she starts her internship at the beginning of September and me mid-September... so... good luck for you and It's better if we team up...

A Dutch girl and me are also looking for an apartment... she starts her internship at the beginning of September and me mid-September... so... good luck for you and It's better if we team up...

Ximena C, Aug 13, 2010 @ 09:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It is a good idea!  I am Oslec and from the Philippines, a student here in Germany and will have my internship work in the UNECE starting September 1 up to November 30, 2010.

Am a bit frustrated also searching for a place to stay there and hoping that in teaming up with you, we can finally conquer for a place in Geneva.  What do you think?

Hoping for the best!

Best,

Oslec

It is a good idea!  I am Oslec and from the Philippines, a student here in Germany and will have my internship work in the UNECE starting September 1 up to November 30, 2010.

Am a bit frustrated also searching for a place to stay there and hoping that in teaming up with you, we can finally conquer for a place in Geneva.  What do you think?

Hoping for the best!

Best,

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 14, 2010 @ 01:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That sounds awesome.. so now we are 4 ;)... there is a post in classifieds about a big house for rent... that might work if we find more people to join us... 

That sounds awesome.. so now we are 4 ;)... there is a post in classifieds about a big house for rent... that might work if we find more people to join us... 

Ximena C, Aug 14, 2010 @ 01:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hope we can do something about it.  I plan to travel on August 20 there and if things will proceed as planned, I might as well meet you and finalize things.  If not, you can proceed and I will be in conformity with everything.

By the way, any cheap and good place/hostel to stay there for the night? This is my first time to be in that area.

Need your advise please?

Thanks.

oslec

Hope we can do something about it.  I plan to travel on August 20 there and if things will proceed as planned, I might as well meet you and finalize things.  If not, you can proceed and I will be in conformity with everything.

By the way, any cheap and good place/hostel to stay there for the night? This is my first time to be in that area.

Need your advise please?

Thanks.

oslec

Oslec M, Aug 14, 2010 @ 01:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi All,

I agree with Ximena with the big house as well, but its also depend where your office or univeristy will be .. my office will be on Rue De Montbillaint .. what about other ?

I found its very difficult to contact the landlord from the otherside of the world .. is any of you are already in the area ?

I will be arriving in Geneva on 26 of August .. my internship is also start on 1 of September .. if by that time any of us still couldnt find anything .. Maybe we could meet up to see if we could do sth ..

Nicha

Hi All,

I agree with Ximena with the big house as well, but its also depend where your office or univeristy will be .. my office will be on Rue De Montbillaint .. what about other ?

I found its very difficult to contact the landlord from the otherside of the world .. is any of you are already in the area ?

I will be arriving in Geneva on 26 of August .. my internship is also start on 1 of September .. if by that time any of us still couldnt find anything .. Maybe we could meet up to see if we could do sth ..

Nicha

nichapat n, Aug 14, 2010 @ 06:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey folks,

I arrive in Geneva in Sep. 1st. It is getting closer. I do not have a definitive place to stay so far in the city. I have been accepted for a M. in Public Management at UNIGE for 02 years.

Hope to see you very soon, and with plenty of ideas.

Let us go to work. Team up!

Greetings from Rio.

Hey folks,

I arrive in Geneva in Sep. 1st. It is getting closer. I do not have a definitive place to stay so far in the city. I have been accepted for a M. in Public Management at UNIGE for 02 years.

Hope to see you very soon, and with plenty of ideas.

Let us go to work. Team up!

Greetings from Rio.

Douglas Armendone, Aug 16, 2010 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hej!!   I have nothing yet!! This is getting hard.. still I will be around Geneva next week to look for apartments! let's hope we will find something... best vibes to everyone!! 

Besos, bisous, beijos kisses, puss... mm I think that's all :P 

XC 

Hej!!   I have nothing yet!! This is getting hard.. still I will be around Geneva next week to look for apartments! let's hope we will find something... best vibes to everyone!! 

Besos, bisous, beijos kisses, puss... mm I think that's all :P 

XC 

Ximena C, Aug 16, 2010 @ 22:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hallo Douglas,

I will be starting with my internship work at the UN office starting September 1 and searching for a place has been a "frustrating experience"... I am taking all the risks on Friday, August 20, to find out what is in store for me or even for us there.  I will be back in Germany the next day because of my deadlines.

If XC, Nicha and the others will be there next week and concentrate on looking for a place, it might probably work.  Let us find a common date to meet after we all arrive in Geneva.  I am forced to stay in a hostel for sometime in order to be at the UN.

Let's update one another and keep the searching more exciting!

See you all in Geneva!

Best,

Oslec

Hallo Douglas,

I will be starting with my internship work at the UN office starting September 1 and searching for a place has been a "frustrating experience"... I am taking all the risks on Friday, August 20, to find out what is in store for me or even for us there.  I will be back in Germany the next day because of my deadlines.

If XC, Nicha and the others will be there next week and concentrate on looking for a place, it might probably work.  Let us find a common date to meet after we all arrive in Geneva.  I am forced to stay in a hostel for sometime in order to be at the UN.

Let's update one another and keep the searching more exciting!

See you all in Geneva!

Best,

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 16, 2010 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi XC,

Let me know exactly when you will be in Geneva so we can meet with Nicha. Are you coming along with your other friends?  So, how many are we now in the group searching for a place?

This must be exciting!

See you and take care!

Oslec

Hi XC,

Let me know exactly when you will be in Geneva so we can meet with Nicha. Are you coming along with your other friends?  So, how many are we now in the group searching for a place?

This must be exciting!

See you and take care!

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I'm also starting my internship.. but on the 20th (September)... let's see.... otherwise... we will adequate our office to live there for a while! :P ... I don't know exactly when I'm going... but I have time after the 22 ... I live in France, very close to Geneva so I might stop by... just let me know! 

I'm also starting my internship.. but on the 20th (September)... let's see.... otherwise... we will adequate our office to live there for a while! :P ... I don't know exactly when I'm going... but I have time after the 22 ... I live in France, very close to Geneva so I might stop by... just let me know! 

Ximena C, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

This was posted today in the Classified at glocals (3 views)...for your info guys! 

FULL UPGRADES

1900/2000 VISITS
Brand new Super Apartment in a Calm Residential area, Geneva, 
4.5 Big Pieces 109 + m2, 2 BIG Bedrooms, 2 Toilets, 
Traversant, 
Fully Equiped Kitchen, Big Balcony, 2 Parking Places possible, close to public transport, 

2485 CHF

www.insurancequestions.ch 

Then send me please your full information. 

[email protected] 
[email protected] 

Best Regards, 

Betty & Benjamin Cohen) 
+41 (0)76 369 6959 

Benjamin Cohen Licence en économie 
Conseiller en assurances et prévoyance

This was posted today in the Classified at glocals (3 views)...for your info guys! 

FULL UPGRADES

1900/2000 VISITS
Brand new Super Apartment in a Calm Residential area, Geneva, 
4.5 Big Pieces 109 + m2, 2 BIG Bedrooms, 2 Toilets, 
Traversant, 
Fully Equiped Kitchen, Big Balcony, 2 Parking Places possible, close to public transport, 

2485 CHF

Then send me please your full information. 

[email protected] 
[email protected] 

Best Regards, 

Betty & Benjamin Cohen) 
+41 (0)76 369 6959 

Benjamin Cohen Licence en économie 
Conseiller en assurances et prévoyance

Oslec M, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I saw one house with 9 rooms, 5 bedrooms..  6500 chf.. but.. you can always make more than 5 bedrooms with 9 rooms ;) 

CHEERS 

I saw one house with 9 rooms, 5 bedrooms..  6500 chf.. but.. you can always make more than 5 bedrooms with 9 rooms ;) 

CHEERS 

Ximena C, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

if 5 of us will take this kind of apartment, will cost only around 500 CHF  per month.

it is located at 1200 Geneva...(no idea of this place)

gute nacht fellow newbies in Geneva!

oslec

if 5 of us will take this kind of apartment, will cost only around 500 CHF  per month.

it is located at 1200 Geneva...(no idea of this place)

gute nacht fellow newbies in Geneva!

oslec

Oslec M, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

That sounds awsome.. but.. is not furnished!! well we just have to know where the closest Ikea is ;) 

That sounds awsome.. but.. is not furnished!! well we just have to know where the closest Ikea is ;) 

Ximena C, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

unless you opt to have single, separate rooms each... I am thinking of shared rooms since the internship will just be for a very limited period.  

unless you opt to have single, separate rooms each... I am thinking of shared rooms since the internship will just be for a very limited period.  

Oslec M, Aug 16, 2010 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hey,

I don't know how you count rooms in your countries, but Geneva, on the contrary of the rest of Switzerland, has the specificity to count the kitchen as a room.. So, when you have a 4 rooms flat, this would be one kitchen plus 3 rooms..

I just wanted to let you know that because you might want to bear it in mind when you look for a flat in Geneva.

Good luck!

Alex

Hey,

I don't know how you count rooms in your countries, but Geneva, on the contrary of the rest of Switzerland, has the specificity to count the kitchen as a room.. So, when you have a 4 rooms flat, this would be one kitchen plus 3 rooms..

I just wanted to let you know that because you might want to bear it in mind when you look for a flat in Geneva.

Good luck!

Alex

Alex B, Aug 17, 2010 @ 00:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Thanks for the information.

We have that idea in mind that is why sharing rooms is a good alternative. The only thing is, to search even for a small room is so hard - so frustrating if I may call it!

By the way Alex, can you possibly help us settle this issue - the newbies in Geneva?

We would appreciate very much any assistance.

Thank you.

Oslec

Thanks for the information.

We have that idea in mind that is why sharing rooms is a good alternative. The only thing is, to search even for a small room is so hard - so frustrating if I may call it!

By the way Alex, can you possibly help us settle this issue - the newbies in Geneva?

We would appreciate very much any assistance.

Thank you.

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 17, 2010 @ 00:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I'm looking for a room in a shared apartment too! :) rent max 550chf / month..

I'm looking for a room in a shared apartment too! :) rent max 550chf / month..

silba, Aug 17, 2010 @ 01:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Then, join us!  The more the merrier...  Are you in Geneva now or still has to move there?

Nicha and XC must be glad to know about your need!

I am too...

Regards,

Oslec

Then, join us!  The more the merrier...  Are you in Geneva now or still has to move there?

Nicha and XC must be glad to know about your need!

I am too...

Regards,

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 17, 2010 @ 01:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Hi Douglas,

I will stay at city hostel geneva .. until i find an appartment .. hope this is helpful

Nicha

Hi Douglas,

I will stay at city hostel geneva .. until i find an appartment .. hope this is helpful

Nicha

nichapat n, Aug 17, 2010 @ 06:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

1200 should be too far, my office ITC/WTO is 1202 .. and i know that Geneva is not too big .. right ? .. so it sound like a good deal .. Do you want me to contact her ?

and I agree with Alex that when they mentioned about 4 pieces .. it include of kitchen as well .. 

progress from my end, I have contact several housing agent in Geneva as recommended by Geneva Welcome Centre .. but noone have reply me yet ..

@Ximena .. I love Mexican People and I love Mexican Food ;)

Will keep you guys updated for any news ..

Ciao Ciao everyone

1200 should be too far, my office ITC/WTO is 1202 .. and i know that Geneva is not too big .. right ? .. so it sound like a good deal .. Do you want me to contact her ?

and I agree with Alex that when they mentioned about 4 pieces .. it include of kitchen as well .. 

progress from my end, I have contact several housing agent in Geneva as recommended by Geneva Welcome Centre .. but noone have reply me yet ..

@Ximena .. I love Mexican People and I love Mexican Food ;)

Will keep you guys updated for any news ..

Ciao Ciao everyone

nichapat n, Aug 17, 2010 @ 06:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Hi guys,

I really don't want to scare you too much but it seems to me that it will be very difficult for you to find a big apartment to share.

1. There are very few big apartments on the market (except for luxury ones).

2. You will have to compete with families with kids who usually come first for bigger apartments.

3. Most standard contracts are minimum one year so if you tell them beforehand that you're just staying for a few months the owner will prefer someone more long-term.

Finding a place here is extremely difficult, you need to put a lot of time into it and be very quick answering. It's close to impossible if you're not personally in Geneva.

On the financial side, if you're interns/students with no or little income you will have to have proof of sufficient funds or (better) have a person with an income as a garantor (who will also sign the contract).

The only way out of the "official" way is either subrenting (which is the best solution for short to medium term rental) or renting directly from an apartment owner (which is not very frequent).

I think you should not rely on being able to find something for all of you to share - although you might be extremely lucky, you never know.

For the students, you can try to get a room at Cité Universitaire, or any other of the student hostels (just google Cité universitaire and they also have a link for other accommodation). You can also try www.wgzimmer.ch or www.easywg.ch to find a room in a shared apartment, or hunt around on glocals. Also try looking in the countryside, in neighboring France, in Vaud (Nyon and surroundings).... Don't be picky about where you live in the city, it's small, there's public transport and you can get everywhere by bike.

I really don't want to depress you too much, but I feel that sometimes it's difficult to understand for people coming from elsewhere how difficult it really is to find an apartment here. I live here and it took us (a couple) a month and a half of intensive searching and a good dose of luck to find a 3 piece apartment (and we do have good salaries), and that's considered quite short actually (in the end it was a flat that was never on the market - we took it over from a friend).

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I really don't want to scare you too much but it seems to me that it will be very difficult for you to find a big apartment to share.

1. There are very few big apartments on the market (except for luxury ones).

2. You will have to compete with families with kids who usually come first for bigger apartments.

3. Most standard contracts are minimum one year so if you tell them beforehand that you're just staying for a few months the owner will prefer someone more long-term.

Finding a place here is extremely difficult, you need to put a lot of time into it and be very quick answering. It's close to impossible if you're not personally in Geneva.

On the financial side, if you're interns/students with no or little income you will have to have proof of sufficient funds or (better) have a person with an income as a garantor (who will also sign the contract).

The only way out of the "official" way is either subrenting (which is the best solution for short to medium term rental) or renting directly from an apartment owner (which is not very frequent).

I think you should not rely on being able to find something for all of you to share - although you might be extremely lucky, you never know.

For the students, you can try to get a room at Cité Universitaire, or any other of the student hostels (just google Cité universitaire and they also have a link for other accommodation). You can also try www.wgzimmer.ch or www.easywg.ch to find a room in a shared apartment, or hunt around on glocals. Also try looking in the countryside, in neighboring France, in Vaud (Nyon and surroundings).... Don't be picky about where you live in the city, it's small, there's public transport and you can get everywhere by bike.

I really don't want to depress you too much, but I feel that sometimes it's difficult to understand for people coming from elsewhere how difficult it really is to find an apartment here. I live here and it took us (a couple) a month and a half of intensive searching and a good dose of luck to find a 3 piece apartment (and we do have good salaries), and that's considered quite short actually (in the end it was a flat that was never on the market - we took it over from a friend).

Good luck!

eva77, Aug 17, 2010 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Just want to personally thank you Eva and Sarah for the information.

Now I am truly encouraged to search even more,  knowing that there are "people who care".

Appreciate much the inputs!

God bless,

Oslec

Just want to personally thank you Eva and Sarah for the information.

Now I am truly encouraged to search even more,  knowing that there are "people who care".

Appreciate much the inputs!

God bless,

Oslec

Oslec M, Aug 17, 2010 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Hey, I'm new here. And looking for a flat. I'll be studying a the graduate Institute fot two years and I'm going to Geneva on the 28 og August

I'm mexican 25 years old. I've been sharing flats for more than 10 years now because of my studies.

Finding a place in Geneva is difficult I know, but please let me know if you need someone :) I'm not picky at all.-

Good luck

Hey, I'm new here. And looking for a flat. I'll be studying a the graduate Institute fot two years and I'm going to Geneva on the 28 og August

I'm mexican 25 years old. I've been sharing flats for more than 10 years now because of my studies.

Finding a place in Geneva is difficult I know, but please let me know if you need someone :) I'm not picky at all.-

Good luck

irais m, Aug 18, 2010 @ 03:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hello everyone,

I am Sowmya from India. Will be travelling down to Geneva by October for my masters and am looking for a house on shared basis. If you are finding a house and need a housemate, Please do leave a message to me.I am 23 yrs old girl with clean habits and have spent more than 4 years staying in hostel. So sharing is not a problem at all

and ofcourse the road goes both the ways. If I find any I ll let you guys know :)

Thanks

Sowmya

Hello everyone,

I am Sowmya from India. Will be travelling down to Geneva by October for my masters and am looking for a house on shared basis. If you are finding a house and need a housemate, Please do leave a message to me.I am 23 yrs old girl with clean habits and have spent more than 4 years staying in hostel. So sharing is not a problem at all

and ofcourse the road goes both the ways. If I find any I ll let you guys know :)

Thanks

Sowmya

sowmya lakshminarayanan, Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hey Guys,

I have just arrived to Geneva from the UK,

I'm also looking for the apartment in Geneva and ready to share the apartment with you guys, therefore please let me know if it's fine with you.

Thanks,

Kari

Hey Guys,

I have just arrived to Geneva from the UK,

I'm also looking for the apartment in Geneva and ready to share the apartment with you guys, therefore please let me know if it's fine with you.

Thanks,

Kari

Kari G, Aug 19, 2010 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
26 Replies | 1020 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form