Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Date ranges or multiple dates for the same event

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Date ranges or multiple dates for the same event

Hello! It would be very useful to be able to include date ranges for an event. I often post theatrical events (in Event Announcements) that run for a week. I don't want to overload the system by creating a new "event" for each night of the play, given that all details other than the date remain the same. My manual workaround is to change the date of the event each day, but it would be good if the event were to show up in the calendar for each day that it is running.

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hello! It would be very useful to be able to include date ranges for an event. I often post theatrical events (in Event Announcements) that run for a week. I don't want to overload the system by creating a new "event" for each night of the play, given that all details other than the date remain the same. My manual workaround is to change the date of the event each day, but it would be good if the event were to show up in the calendar for each day that it is running.

Thanks!

Viki LApr 10, 2017 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 3645 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Date ranges or multiple dates for the same event
Post 1

Still struggling with this!

Still struggling with this!

Viki L, Feb 11, 2020 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Post the event with the opening date, then use the "Duplicate activity" to re-post a copy of the event for another date. Repeat as needed.

It is much clearer doing it this way, so don't worry about "overloading" the site. Wink 

Post the event with the opening date, then use the "Duplicate activity" to re-post a copy of the event for another date. Repeat as needed.

It is much clearer doing it this way, so don't worry about "overloading" the site. Wink 

TheOmegaMan, Feb 11, 2020 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer not to create several different events. I know all about the duplicate functionality Wink I started this thread because I'm curious about whether Glocals will ever implement a multi-date or date-range functionality.

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer not to create several different events. I know all about the duplicate functionality Wink I started this thread because I'm curious about whether Glocals will ever implement a multi-date or date-range functionality.

Viki L, Feb 13, 2020 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Viki and thanks for the follow up.

I understand how posting a multi-date activity is easier (for the poster) than posting the activity several times, but how would a multi-date activity create less overload on the system?

If you post a multi-date activity, wouldn't it need to show up, on the Activities calendar, on all the days it occurs? 

Thanks

Oded 

Hi Viki and thanks for the follow up.

I understand how posting a multi-date activity is easier (for the poster) than posting the activity several times, but how would a multi-date activity create less overload on the system?

If you post a multi-date activity, wouldn't it need to show up, on the Activities calendar, on all the days it occurs? 

Thanks

Oded 

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 13, 2020 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks for the reply, Oded! Yes, I think the "overload" on the system wasn't exactly what I meant or the issue I'm grappling with. In terms of implementation, yes, a multi-date or date-range event would show up each day in the Activities calendar.

I am thinking attendees, especially if they are flexible on dates or if it's a multi-day festival, may be interested in marking themselves as attending "generally", and then communicating with others in the event about which day they plan to go, which events to attend, etc. 

I imagine some organizers may have a preference to post the event multiple times (to get a sense for numbers), and that already is possible. I think having the date range option would be interesting as well.

Thanks for the reply, Oded! Yes, I think the "overload" on the system wasn't exactly what I meant or the issue I'm grappling with. In terms of implementation, yes, a multi-date or date-range event would show up each day in the Activities calendar.

I am thinking attendees, especially if they are flexible on dates or if it's a multi-day festival, may be interested in marking themselves as attending "generally", and then communicating with others in the event about which day they plan to go, which events to attend, etc. 

I imagine some organizers may have a preference to post the event multiple times (to get a sense for numbers), and that already is possible. I think having the date range option would be interesting as well.

Viki L, Feb 13, 2020 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Viki and thanks for your reply,

This isn't a request we receive a lot so its not a high on our To Do list, but I'll ask our techies if this is something they can whip up quickly and if yes, I'll ask them to get on it.

Thanks and have a nice sunny weekend,

Oded

Hi Viki and thanks for your reply,

This isn't a request we receive a lot so its not a high on our To Do list, but I'll ask our techies if this is something they can whip up quickly and if yes, I'll ask them to get on it.

Thanks and have a nice sunny weekend,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 14, 2020 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 3645 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form