Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Non-unique user names?

I had assumed that Glocals user names were unique, but I now notice that someone has signed up recently with exactly the same name as me.  Is this not likely to cause some confusion and / or difficulties?

The text you are quoting:

I had assumed that Glocals user names were unique, but I now notice that someone has signed up recently with exactly the same name as me.  Is this not likely to cause some confusion and / or difficulties?

Andy CNov 14, 2014 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

32 Replies | 2499 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Non-unique user names?
Post 1

Hi Andy,

We ask people to use their real names and as the community grows there will be similar / identical names.

I know this could cause some confusion but I don't see a way around it.

Happy to hear ideas / feedback on this.

Thanks

Oded 

Hi Andy,

We ask people to use their real names and as the community grows there will be similar / identical names.

Thanks

Oded 

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Andy,

Thanks

Oded 

Nov 14, 14 17:01

Could there not be some way of checking when a new user comes on board that the name they are trying to use is checked against existing name list ? - as happens on numerous other sites I have tried - ie google mail etc. Can't be too difficult one would think.

Could there not be some way of checking when a new user comes on board that the name they are trying to use is checked against existing name list ? - as happens on numerous other sites I have tried - ie google mail etc. Can't be too difficult one would think.

Jeffery S, Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Jeffery,

Checking if the name exists is easy.

But if a newbie is signing up and his name is Jeffery S and we already have a Jeffery S signed up - what then?  Do we tell the new Jeffery to change his name?

O

Hi Jeffery,

Checking if the name exists is easy.

But if a newbie is signing up and his name is Jeffery S and we already have a Jeffery S signed up - what then?  Do we tell the new Jeffery to change his name?

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oded - In a word...YEP !! thats what you have to do on other sites if the name is already taken. Shouldn;t be too much of a hassle for anyone you would think..

Oded - In a word...YEP !! thats what you have to do on other sites if the name is already taken. Shouldn;t be too much of a hassle for anyone you would think..

Jeffery S, Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jeffrey - that would work if we weren't asking people to use their real names.

But if we ask them to use real names, we can't ask them to then change their name if its already taken.

We could of-course lose the whole Real Name thing, but we think that real names add value to the community.

What do you think about real names vs psuedos?

O

But if we ask them to use real names, we can't ask them to then change their name if its already taken.

We could of-course lose the whole Real Name thing, but we think that real names add value to the community.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

O

Nov 14, 14 17:33

Cheers Oded - how do you know if my name is real or not ?? I could be John S. And then there is the question of supplying a photo as well.. people hide behind lots of things (for some unkown reason !!) but I come back to the fact that it shouldn't be a real hassle if their name is already taken - I for one wouldn't get real upset...anyway not a big problem in the whole scheme of things.

Cheers Oded - how do you know if my name is real or not ?? I could be John S. And then there is the question of supplying a photo as well.. people hide behind lots of things (for some unkown reason !!) but I come back to the fact that it shouldn't be a real hassle if their name is already taken - I for one wouldn't get real upset...anyway not a big problem in the whole scheme of things.

Jeffery S, Nov 14, 2014 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

All social media sites I know, at least the major ones, ask for real names, and then of course face the situation that there will be duplicate names. Facebook & LinkedIn lead the pack, with hundreds of Jeffery S...(-;

Our assumption is that asking people to use real names drives some trust. Of course some people will lie about their name (or anything else), but a good portion won't. We think that out-weighs the downside of having some duplicates, especially real active members develop a strong reputation based on their online actions (and picture), to differentiate them from others. 

All social media sites I know, at least the major ones, ask for real names, and then of course face the situation that there will be duplicate names. Facebook & LinkedIn lead the pack, with hundreds of Jeffery S...(-;

Our assumption is that asking people to use real names drives some trust. Of course some people will lie about their name (or anything else), but a good portion won't. We think that out-weighs the downside of having some duplicates, especially real active members develop a strong reputation based on their online actions (and picture), to differentiate them from others. 

Nir Ofek, Nov 14, 2014 @ 23:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

2 things any member can do to reduce the risk of being confsed with other members:

1. Allow other members to see your full name, not just the last letter of your last name. 

2. Ensure you add people you know to your friends' list, so these people immediatly see an alert that you're the person they know

2 things any member can do to reduce the risk of being confsed with other members:

1. Allow other members to see your full name, not just the last letter of your last name. 

2. Ensure you add people you know to your friends' list, so these people immediatly see an alert that you're the person they know

Nir Ofek, Nov 15, 2014 @ 00:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I like the idea behind using real names, at least for me the conversation is more personnal when I know what's the name of the person I am talking to. That said, I reckon if that's continue to be a problem it is always possible to add a nickname field for each user that could be displayed next to or below the real name (of course in that case a nickname would be unique across whole page).

I like the idea behind using real names, at least for me the conversation is more personnal when I know what's the name of the person I am talking to. That said, I reckon if that's continue to be a problem it is always possible to add a nickname field for each user that could be displayed next to or below the real name (of course in that case a nickname would be unique across whole page).

Lukasz J, Nov 15, 2014 @ 00:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I hadn't realised that you were encouraging people to use their real names.  I think it's the right idea but a lot of people seem to ignore it and set up odd nicknames or abbreviations.

Maybe I should revert back to my real name; unless there's already another member called Clint Mammothcock.

I hadn't realised that you were encouraging people to use their real names.  I think it's the right idea but a lot of people seem to ignore it and set up odd nicknames or abbreviations.

Maybe I should revert back to my real name; unless there's already another member called Clint Mammothcock.

Andy C, Nov 15, 2014 @ 01:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

In order to keep the real names - and yes, I realize the irony of saying this given my name here is Zonker while my real name is David - perhaps glocals could add more identifying info next to the name, like "(Joined: 2008)" or something like that.

Or maybe 2-3 lettters.

In order to keep the real names - and yes, I realize the irony of saying this given my name here is Zonker while my real name is David - perhaps glocals could add more identifying info next to the name, like "(Joined: 2008)" or something like that.

Or maybe 2-3 lettters.

Zonker, Nov 15, 2014 @ 08:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Nov 15, 14 01:06

Your real first name is Clint? Seriously?

Casuistik, Nov 15, 2014 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Nov 15, 14 09:20

Bugger...you got in before me !!

Bugger...you got in before me !!

Jeffery S, Nov 15, 2014 @ 09:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Or maybe 2-3 lettters.

Nov 15, 14 08:55

Zonker (I always thought that was your real name!), 

Each profile, and profile summary, already shows join date, last site visit, country of origin. 

Zonker (I always thought that was your real name!), 

Each profile, and profile summary, already shows join date, last site visit, country of origin. 

Nir Ofek, Nov 15, 2014 @ 11:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Casuistik, Nov 15, 2014 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

This guy might be tempted to use a pseudonym if he signs up ....

This guy might be tempted to use a pseudonym if he signs up ....

Andy C, Nov 15, 2014 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

If this was my name I would use it in full for all of my user accounts

If this was my name I would use it in full for all of my user accounts

Andy C, Nov 15, 2014 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I assume that we need a precise name of person if we want to identify him/her on glocals. Can then glocals team add a function to look for a user via email address(like FB)? All of them need to be unique, right?

I assume that we need a precise name of person if we want to identify him/her on glocals. Can then glocals team add a function to look for a user via email address(like FB)? All of them need to be unique, right?

Kris R, Nov 15, 2014 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

I think that if a name is already taken, one could still use that name but a bit differently. For example, if my name was already taken on this site I could have named myself: MyriamW or myriamW or Myriam Wa or Myriam W. Isn t there many possibilities to still use our real names and look different and recognizable?

I think that if a name is already taken, one could still use that name but a bit differently. For example, if my name was already taken on this site I could have named myself: MyriamW or myriamW or Myriam Wa or Myriam W. Isn t there many possibilities to still use our real names and look different and recognizable?

Myriam A, Nov 15, 2014 @ 19:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Casuistik, Nov 15, 2014 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Nov 15, 14 19:35

Hi Kris,

Indeed, emaila ddresses are unique.

Technically, adding a Search by email address is easy.

Is this something you would find useful?

Thanks

Oded

Hi Kris,

Indeed, emaila ddresses are unique.

Technically, adding a Search by email address is easy.

Is this something you would find useful?

Thanks

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 17, 2014 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Honestly, so far I didn't have this problem, because I just search people via event that I participated in:)

But I find it useful as long as my email 'd be safe from spamers. Maybe sb else can share an opionion on that?

Honestly, so far I didn't have this problem, because I just search people via event that I participated in:)

But I find it useful as long as my email 'd be safe from spamers. Maybe sb else can share an opionion on that?

Kris R, Nov 17, 2014 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

i don't think anything needs to be changed.

my suggestion was to put information (joined date, country) not just on the profile (which are sometimes hidden) but on the little photo/profile listed on this page next to each reply.....

i don't think anything needs to be changed.

my suggestion was to put information (joined date, country) not just on the profile (which are sometimes hidden) but on the little photo/profile listed on this page next to each reply.....

Zonker, Nov 17, 2014 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I think it would be great to have a search by email address functionality.

On the usernames, I quite agree with Lukasz:

There's the first set of people who have strange monikers - I guess these are people with pre-2009 profiles. Then there are those folks who joined & were prompted to enter their provide real names. I guess the only way to sort this out is to separate the two - for eg. Andy C aka ClintMammothcock. :)

For those chickens who do not want to provide their real names (old members), you could always default them to some bizarre name until they change it, like you do with the profile pictures.

I think it would be great to have a search by email address functionality.

On the usernames, I quite agree with Lukasz:

There's the first set of people who have strange monikers - I guess these are people with pre-2009 profiles. Then there are those folks who joined & were prompted to enter their provide real names. I guess the only way to sort this out is to separate the two - for eg. Andy C aka ClintMammothcock. :)

For those chickens who do not want to provide their real names (old members), you could always default them to some bizarre name until they change it, like you do with the profile pictures.

Arun K V, Nov 20, 2014 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

In this Internet savey world, if a user name is already existing, it should be easy to say, Please provide other, as the profikle name already exist. Its like saying instead of Andy C, use Andy Casuistik? we know they are the same person, hehehehe

Futther can I create a profile name to SiteAdmin or GlocalsAdmin or GenevaOnline? Or you might pick up on that? You must have some way to catch these abusers. If so, then 'already used profile names' is an easy one.

Finally, I see many profiles dont have true photos of oneself, like some use cartoons, art, animals, in costume, With total halloween makeup, etc.

Or are they really Animals with Glocals profile? hehehehehe

In this Internet savey world, if a user name is already existing, it should be easy to say, Please provide other, as the profikle name already exist. Its like saying instead of Andy C, use Andy Casuistik? we know they are the same person, hehehehe

Futther can I create a profile name to SiteAdmin or GlocalsAdmin or GenevaOnline? Or you might pick up on that? You must have some way to catch these abusers. If so, then 'already used profile names' is an easy one.

Finally, I see many profiles dont have true photos of oneself, like some use cartoons, art, animals, in costume, With total halloween makeup, etc.

Or are they really Animals with Glocals profile? hehehehehe

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Example, Andy C you cant see his face?

I remember one member was surfing and the face was not clear, but you blocked them as you could not there face until they changed the profile.

I remember one member was surfing and the face was not clear, but you blocked them as you could not there face until they changed the profile.

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Nov 20, 14 15:53

I arrive at all events on my motorbike with the front wheel in the air, so I'm easily recognisable from my photo.

I arrive at all events on my motorbike with the front wheel in the air, so I'm easily recognisable from my photo.

Andy C, Nov 20, 2014 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Andy, I understand Wheelies are considered reckless driving in Switerland and warrent automatic citation or temporary loss of licence. So what event are you attending next? I think badmitton soon?

Andy, I understand Wheelies are considered reckless driving in Switerland and warrent automatic citation or temporary loss of licence. So what event are you attending next? I think badmitton soon?

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Tongue Out

Tongue Out

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Andy are you the one at 00:02:09? or 00:02:55

Andy are you the one at 00:02:09? or 00:02:55

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Nov 20, 14 17:10

I may be reckless, but I draw the line at bad mittens.

I may be reckless, but I draw the line at bad mittens.

Andy C, Nov 20, 2014 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

If naming a baby was like choosing an email address..

If naming a baby was like choosing an email address..

Cat D, Nov 23, 2014 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
32 Replies | 2499 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form