Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Odd number of participants

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Odd number of participants

Hello,

I have noticed that the group "Geneva Runners - Wed.training, we run, we jog, we walk"

Is a very popular one, next run on the 27th is expecting 301 members attending.

Funny thing is that a large number of those have not been active on glocals since 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on.

How can one not be active on the site for years but still show as a participant???

That makes no sense. Can you create a fix so that members that have been inactive for perhaps 6 months cannot show as attending any event?

thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I have noticed that the group "Geneva Runners - Wed.training, we run, we jog, we walk"

Is a very popular one, next run on the 27th is expecting 301 members attending.

Funny thing is that a large number of those have not been active on glocals since 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on.

How can one not be active on the site for years but still show as a participant???

That makes no sense. Can you create a fix so that members that have been inactive for perhaps 6 months cannot show as attending any event?

thanks

GuillermoJul 25, 2016 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2157 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Odd number of participants
Post 1

Actually, a rule should be in placed to automatically "delete or remove" members who have been inactive for a long periods of time from all the groups they have singed in.

Otherwise those numbers make no sense...

Actually, a rule should be in placed to automatically "delete or remove" members who have been inactive for a long periods of time from all the groups they have singed in.

Otherwise those numbers make no sense...

Guillermo, Jul 25, 2016 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I suspect that what is happening is that 'SWISS' is just changing the date on the event rather than creating a new one each week. Very misleading, confusing and not particularly helpful. (This opinion is supported by the comments going back to 2013!)

Perhaps suggest to SWISS that they create a new event each week instead? (as people usually do).

I suspect that what is happening is that 'SWISS' is just changing the date on the event rather than creating a new one each week. Very misleading, confusing and not particularly helpful. (This opinion is supported by the comments going back to 2013!)

Perhaps suggest to SWISS that they create a new event each week instead? (as people usually do).

Alastair G, Jul 26, 2016 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi guys and thanks for the heads up,

Indeed, if people change the date of their activity again and again instead of duplicating / reposting the event then the participants list keeps growing.

If we see this becoming a trend we'll take action but for now it seems to be only Swiss' Running Events so I think we're OK.

Re not showing people who haven't logged in as attending, it just seems like a bit of a complex solution to a problem that I'm not sure even exists...

Thanks again and have a great week,

Oded

Hi guys and thanks for the heads up,

Indeed, if people change the date of their activity again and again instead of duplicating / reposting the event then the participants list keeps growing.

If we see this becoming a trend we'll take action but for now it seems to be only Swiss' Running Events so I think we're OK.

Re not showing people who haven't logged in as attending, it just seems like a bit of a complex solution to a problem that I'm not sure even exists...

Thanks again and have a great week,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 27, 2016 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I'll admit that I am one of those pesky members of the "Geneva Runners - Wed. training, we run, we job, we walk" group activity who has been a member for about six years but never actually participated. I appreciate the regular reminders even if I haven't participated yet!

I think the activity is a bit unlike most of the other group activities in that it is regularly recurring. I'm not sure we need the organizers to go through the effort of copying it for new ones every week and deleting or removing members seems unnecessary.

I'll admit that I am one of those pesky members of the "Geneva Runners - Wed. training, we run, we job, we walk" group activity who has been a member for about six years but never actually participated. I appreciate the regular reminders even if I haven't participated yet!

I think the activity is a bit unlike most of the other group activities in that it is regularly recurring. I'm not sure we need the organizers to go through the effort of copying it for new ones every week and deleting or removing members seems unnecessary.

Jason M, Jul 27, 2016 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Quote from Oded: Re not showing people who haven't logged in as attending, it just seems like a bit of a complex solution to a problem that I'm not sure even exists..

Exactly!  

When the "Groups" thing started, a lot of people created groups, signed up for groups and have never tidied up their own profile since.  I don't think it's a job for the site administrators to monitor and police people's participation of the Group to which they belong, it's up to us, as individuals to "leave the group" if we are no longer interested.

I haven't participated in my OWN Cycling Group for about two years - where does that leave me!

There is a "new" feature (it's been around a while) where you can duplicate an event, which is what I do with my regular Lausanne Movie Group.  

What MAY be useful to suggest (especially for SWISS) to Site Amin would be to slightly amend the "duplicate" feature to leave everything but the date and time, the same.

i.e. not having to renew the photo every time and re-invite the group every time - maybe that's what SWISS finds time consuming and why she does it like she does?

I agree with Jason that deleting or removing for this reason is unecessary.  

I'd rather the focus was on deleting or removing members who sign up for activities, (weekend breaks in this instance) then cancel at the last minute leaving the organiser out of pocket.

You know who you are.....Cool

Quote from Oded: Re not showing people who haven't logged in as attending, it just seems like a bit of a complex solution to a problem that I'm not sure even exists..

Exactly!  

When the "Groups" thing started, a lot of people created groups, signed up for groups and have never tidied up their own profile since.  I don't think it's a job for the site administrators to monitor and police people's participation of the Group to which they belong, it's up to us, as individuals to "leave the group" if we are no longer interested.

I haven't participated in my OWN Cycling Group for about two years - where does that leave me!

There is a "new" feature (it's been around a while) where you can duplicate an event, which is what I do with my regular Lausanne Movie Group.  

What MAY be useful to suggest (especially for SWISS) to Site Amin would be to slightly amend the "duplicate" feature to leave everything but the date and time, the same.

i.e. not having to renew the photo every time and re-invite the group every time - maybe that's what SWISS finds time consuming and why she does it like she does?

I agree with Jason that deleting or removing for this reason is unecessary.  

I'd rather the focus was on deleting or removing members who sign up for activities, (weekend breaks in this instance) then cancel at the last minute leaving the organiser out of pocket.

You know who you are.....Cool

Carolyn C, Jul 27, 2016 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I think you are missing the point

Look at the "Geneva Runners group" tonights event.

Then find profile :

Larssons - In Geneva / Geneva. From United States.
"Interested in language exchange"
Member since Jul, 2009
Last visit Oct, 2010
0 Friends, 1 Activity

Has not log in once since Oct 2010, I am willing to bet she will not sign back in just to "tidy" her groups. Like this profile there are many more.

I really like glocals, the oportunitites it gives and the conections it can create.
Unfortunatly there is a rather large number of inactive members and i mean that have not log in to glocals for years.
Those inactive profiles are misleading numbers and stats.

I would prefer a site that is honest and transparent when someone has not logged in for more than a year it is clear there is little to no interest in the site and or activities.
And yet those gosth profiles linger in the data base.

I jus found this post from Glocals:
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/1000-non-active-members-deleted-70134.htm

1000 non-active members deleted

Aug 5, 09 00:17
In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularly delete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

So yesterday was the 'day of the axe' at glocals.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I think you are missing the point

Look at the "Geneva Runners group" tonights event.

Then find profile :

Larssons - In Geneva / Geneva. From United States.
"Interested in language exchange"
Member since Jul, 2009
Last visit Oct, 2010
0 Friends, 1 Activity

Has not log in once since Oct 2010, I am willing to bet she will not sign back in just to "tidy" her groups. Like this profile there are many more.

I really like glocals, the oportunitites it gives and the conections it can create.
Unfortunatly there is a rather large number of inactive members and i mean that have not log in to glocals for years.
Those inactive profiles are misleading numbers and stats.

I would prefer a site that is honest and transparent when someone has not logged in for more than a year it is clear there is little to no interest in the site and or activities.
And yet those gosth profiles linger in the data base.

I jus found this post from Glocals:
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/1000-non-active-members-deleted-70134.htm

1000 non-active members deleted

Aug 5, 09 00:17
In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularly delete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

So yesterday was the 'day of the axe' at glocals.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Guillermo, Aug 3, 2016 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Geneva 
97169 members69 online

Tongue Out