Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL is now a legal company

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL is now a legal company
2 weeks ago we finally registered GoL as an official Geneva based company (SARL), called (surprise surprise) GenevaOnline.

Until now GoL had no legal structure; it was just a bunch of people doing stuff. As it's becoming so big and so active, we decided we need a structure for it. Here's why:

1. To limit our (our = Oded & Nir, the founders) personal responsibility in case something goes wrong.

2. To ensure everything we do is 100% legal and transperant.

The fact we now have a structure in place does not change anything on the community, except on paper.

Having said the above, we're still not sure how to finance GoL longer term. We have advertising revenues, but the monthly costs are higher than the revenues. But we'll crack it (we hope...).

Nir
The text you are quoting:
2 weeks ago we finally registered GoL as an official Geneva based company (SARL), called (surprise surprise) GenevaOnline.

Until now GoL had no legal structure; it was just a bunch of people doing stuff. As it's becoming so big and so active, we decided we need a structure for it. Here's why:

1. To limit our (our = Oded & Nir, the founders) personal responsibility in case something goes wrong.

The fact we now have a structure in place does not change anything on the community, except on paper.

Having said the above, we're still not sure how to finance GoL longer term. We have advertising revenues, but the monthly costs are higher than the revenues. But we'll crack it (we hope...).

Nir
Nir OfekMar 19, 2007 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 4587 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL is now a legal company
Post 1
...A Scottish saying meaning that it looks great on the outside (for show), but there's not even any underwear underneath (money)! :-D

As I've said before (on some other posting yonks ago - can't find the original comments), I believe that once you hit the 10 thousand mark - or some other time in the future - the majority of us wouldn't mind paying say 25 Sfr p.a. to remain on GoL...

What's 25 Sfr a year?

Nothing! ...and you guys have certainly earned it! ...All the unpaid hours you've both put in - I've even seen Oded busily working away on Sunday mornings, slapping up new profiles and activity pictures etc... What dedication!!! ...And as for any members who 'get lost' in the transition - Bah! Humbugs! - well, GoL just wasn't that important for them in the first place...

You guys do a great job! Make the best of it! You've deserved it! ...cheers! :-) J.
...A Scottish saying meaning that it looks great on the outside (for show), but there's not even any underwear underneath (money)! :-D

As I've said before (on some other posting yonks ago - can't find the original comments), I believe that once you hit the 10 thousand mark - or some other time in the future - the majority of us wouldn't mind paying say 25 Sfr p.a. to remain on GoL...

What's 25 Sfr a year?

Nothing! ...and you guys have certainly earned it! ...All the unpaid hours you've both put in - I've even seen Oded busily working away on Sunday mornings, slapping up new profiles and activity pictures etc... What dedication!!! ...And as for any members who 'get lost' in the transition - Bah! Humbugs! - well, GoL just wasn't that important for them in the first place...

You guys do a great job! Make the best of it! You've deserved it! ...cheers! :-) J.
JulianT, Mar 19, 2007 @ 18:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
My understanding is that a SARL has commercial activities. What would be the GoL model ?
- Surveys outsourcing ?
- Community service to get better deals on specific products ?
- other ?
The customers would not be the same. What annoys me a bit is that it not clear which model would help the community to grow, promote friendship, help expats to feel more at home, etc.
I had a couple of discussions about GoL turning into an expat targeted (here come the words) dating site... How bad is this ? How good is it ? What makes GoL different ?
Cheers,
B

My understanding is that a SARL has commercial activities. What would be the GoL model ?
- Surveys outsourcing ?
- Community service to get better deals on specific products ?
- other ?
The customers would not be the same. What annoys me a bit is that it not clear which model would help the community to grow, promote friendship, help expats to feel more at home, etc.
I had a couple of discussions about GoL turning into an expat targeted (here come the words) dating site... How bad is this ? How good is it ? What makes GoL different ?
Cheers,
B

brooster, Mar 19, 2007 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I totally agree, but I would suggest that the membership fees are optional. No strings attached, no extra features for paying members. This business model already works for Wikipedia http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising; why not for GoL?
I totally agree, but I would suggest that the membership fees are optional. No strings attached, no extra features for paying members. This business model already works for Wikipedia http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising; why not for GoL?
Rob_M, Mar 20, 2007 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Now you are an official business, maybe you could check out that syndicat patremoni guy. I hope you wrote down his name, as I don't have it anymore!
Now you are an official business, maybe you could check out that syndicat patremoni guy. I hope you wrote down his name, as I don't have it anymore!
Jennifer, Apr 1, 2007 @ 06:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hey,

I have to admit that I was quite jealous about the fancy T-Shirts (with GoL Login) some GoLers had yesterday at the party.

Can't you propose to make some and sell them ? Will make a nice income I guess.

HalfMoon
Hey,

I have to admit that I was quite jealous about the fancy T-Shirts (with GoL Login) some GoLers had yesterday at the party.

Can't you propose to make some and sell them ? Will make a nice income I guess.

HalfMoon
HalfMoon, Apr 15, 2007 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
with annual due idea.
with annual due idea.
careful, Apr 29, 2007 @ 02:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

There is nothin wrong with a membership fee if thats the only way for Glocals 2 survive..afterall we've had a lot from gol and mayabe its time 2 give back a bit..is that what life's all about? a little give and a little take...

There is nothin wrong with a membership fee if thats the only way for Glocals 2 survive..afterall we've had a lot from gol and mayabe its time 2 give back a bit..is that what life's all about? a little give and a little take...

TonyMontana, Nov 29, 2009 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

all these posts are from 2007!!! apart from the tonymontana post.

epicure, Nov 29, 2009 @ 15:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Well i guess some people dont bother to check the post dates. On the other hand he may did and just wanted to add something...

Well i guess some people dont bother to check the post dates. On the other hand he may did and just wanted to add something...

Maria_, Nov 29, 2009 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Nov 29, 09 15:57

Good point, I did not even notice the date...

Good point, I did not even notice the date...

wonder, Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

but remember....glocals is not a "date" site Cool

but remember....glocals is not a "date" site Cool

epicure, Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

great comeback...Smile

great comeback...Smile

wonder, Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Nir
Mar 19, 07 11:40

i never saw this before. Since it is such an old thread is there any new news on this?  How is this business going now, it looks great and the site is really nice. I know it is not so new any more but it is new for me. 

Here is what I know, my membership is still active and I did not pay any types of fees so you are not collecting fees, or at least not from everybody. 

Is there any changes to your business, did you find rev streams, if so can you share?  

Thanks for the work and your photo looks great. 

TonyT

i never saw this before. Since it is such an old thread is there any new news on this?  How is this business going now, it looks great and the site is really nice. I know it is not so new any more but it is new for me. 

Here is what I know, my membership is still active and I did not pay any types of fees so you are not collecting fees, or at least not from everybody. 

Is there any changes to your business, did you find rev streams, if so can you share?  

Thanks for the work and your photo looks great. 

TonyT

TonyT, Jan 3, 2011 @ 04:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Like TonyT, I did not know Glocals was a registered company...Congratulations.

Sure way to make millions of sfr is to find jobs for those unemployed english speakers who are stuck here and charge them accordingly. It is not that there are no jobs. Its the matching and placing these individuals in these vacancies; I feel glocal can play a crucial here.Innocent

Like TonyT, I did not know Glocals was a registered company...Congratulations.

Sure way to make millions of sfr is to find jobs for those unemployed english speakers who are stuck here and charge them accordingly. It is not that there are no jobs. Its the matching and placing these individuals in these vacancies; I feel glocal can play a crucial here.Innocent

Dzi J, Jan 14, 2011 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Dzi:

We'd be happy to make those millions, but so far we havn't found an easy way of doing so.

We're hoping our new daily-deals site, www.BuyClub.ch, which is exploding so far, will be able to generate more revenues for us.

Nir

Dzi:

We'd be happy to make those millions, but so far we havn't found an easy way of doing so.

We're hoping our new daily-deals site, www.BuyClub.ch, which is exploding so far, will be able to generate more revenues for us.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Jan 14, 2011 @ 14:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Nir, I ( and i guess many) wish you a snappy business, good luck)

Nir, I ( and i guess many) wish you a snappy business, good luck)

Jacob B, Feb 14, 2011 @ 00:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

hi,

Congrats for being a legal company. I would think that the solution to register as an Association would be better for you, because as a SARL you need to pay tax and all the stuff and could be expensive. As a non-profit association, you can still collect membership fees, organise outings, and deduct all expenses. Having got an SA, an Sarl and now an association, I have gone through all this.

If you want to inspire how other online network make money, I suggest to look at the business structure of peopleperhour.com which offer a place of freelancers to market their services and companies to seek for freelancers. All jobs clinched trhough the system generate an income of 10per cent to the site. There are about 50'000 positions posted and I am registered as a freelance and did find good people for my marketing and communication projects.

Good luck to you. I do agree that you should collect membership fee. Can be done through Paypal or get some bank to sponsor some activities against credit card new accounts.

Best

Anh Tho

hi,

Congrats for being a legal company. I would think that the solution to register as an Association would be better for you, because as a SARL you need to pay tax and all the stuff and could be expensive. As a non-profit association, you can still collect membership fees, organise outings, and deduct all expenses. Having got an SA, an Sarl and now an association, I have gone through all this.

If you want to inspire how other online network make money, I suggest to look at the business structure of peopleperhour.com which offer a place of freelancers to market their services and companies to seek for freelancers. All jobs clinched trhough the system generate an income of 10per cent to the site. There are about 50'000 positions posted and I am registered as a freelance and did find good people for my marketing and communication projects.

Good luck to you. I do agree that you should collect membership fee. Can be done through Paypal or get some bank to sponsor some activities against credit card new accounts.

Best

Anh Tho

Anh Tho Andres, Mar 5, 2011 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Thanks everyone.

This thread was started in 2007, which is when we became a legal company.

Since then our main business model was online advertising. We revently also launched www.BuyClub.ch, which is working nicely.

glocals.com is not a huge financial success, but it does support itself (sometimes), and it's a ton of fun to do. 

Nir 

Thanks everyone.

This thread was started in 2007, which is when we became a legal company.

Since then our main business model was online advertising. We revently also launched www.BuyClub.ch, which is working nicely.

glocals.com is not a huge financial success, but it does support itself (sometimes), and it's a ton of fun to do. 

Nir 

Nir Ofek, Mar 6, 2011 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Well.... since I wasn't there in 2007...

let me take the opportunity to congratulate you all -the team- on your site!

and all your efforts to keep it friendy & accessible & fun

tchin-tchin!

Well.... since I wasn't there in 2007...

let me take the opportunity to congratulate you all -the team- on your site!

and all your efforts to keep it friendy & accessible & fun

tchin-tchin!

nomades, Mar 6, 2011 @ 22:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 4587 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form