Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > Syria: 70,000 dead, 1 million refugees, and not much noise

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Syria: 70,000 dead, 1 million refugees, and not much noise

So today CNN announced that the 1,000,000th refugee from the Syria civil war was recorded, and that the war cost 70,000 lives (yes, seventy thousand) in under 2 years. Crazy sad numbers that are larger than any recent wars except WW1 + WW2.

What's amazing to me is how relatively quite the world is about this, and I'm talking everyone: western media, the arab world, the 1st world, the 3rd world.

Sure, the Syrian conflict is occasionnaly in the news. But considering its un-imaginable size and cost in human lives, it should be front page and center daily.

If it was Israel or the US (the 2 devils for most of the world) doing killing on a scale getting even closer to what's happening in Syria, the world would be boiling, the UN would take action, countries would threaten war against the bad side, the news would talk about the horrors daily all the time, the universe would shake. And rightfully so, when talking about these crazy numbers. When it's Syria killing 70,000 of its people in a year+, the world is relatively quite, waiting for the war to end in due course. 

Why? 

The text you are quoting:

So today CNN announced that the 1,000,000th refugee from the Syria civil war was recorded, and that the war cost 70,000 lives (yes, seventy thousand) in under 2 years. Crazy sad numbers that are larger than any recent wars except WW1 + WW2.

What's amazing to me is how relatively quite the world is about this, and I'm talking everyone: western media, the arab world, the 1st world, the 3rd world.

Sure, the Syrian conflict is occasionnaly in the news. But considering its un-imaginable size and cost in human lives, it should be front page and center daily.

If it was Israel or the US (the 2 devils for most of the world) doing killing on a scale getting even closer to what's happening in Syria, the world would be boiling, the UN would take action, countries would threaten war against the bad side, the news would talk about the horrors daily all the time, the universe would shake. And rightfully so, when talking about these crazy numbers. When it's Syria killing 70,000 of its people in a year+, the world is relatively quite, waiting for the war to end in due course. 

Why? 

Nir OfekMar 6, 2013 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

101 Replies | 3507 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Syria: 70,000 dead, 1 million refugees, and not much noise
Post 1

In Afghanistan and Iraq a reliably estimated 3 million have died. In Libya an estimated 100,000 were killed, mostly after NATO's intervention. All this was done in violation of international law by mainly rich and powerful Western States. Ensuring that the most powerful and richest States respect international law is best way to prevent such atrosities in the future.

If we want to really protect civilians in Syria we woudl supprt the Syrian government to restore law and order.    

In Afghanistan and Iraq a reliably estimated 3 million have died. In Libya an estimated 100,000 were killed, mostly after NATO's intervention. All this was done in violation of international law by mainly rich and powerful Western States. Ensuring that the most powerful and richest States respect international law is best way to prevent such atrosities in the future.

If we want to really protect civilians in Syria we woudl supprt the Syrian government to restore law and order.    

Curtis D, Mar 11, 2013 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The point that's key for me is not about intl law, cos I think that counts for nearlynothing in a war zone.

My point is how the world media attacks like crazy when some countries are involved in conflict (take Israel), but goes a lot quiter when other countries slaughter their people en mass (take Syria). I don't get it.

The point that's key for me is not about intl law, cos I think that counts for nearlynothing in a war zone.

My point is how the world media attacks like crazy when some countries are involved in conflict (take Israel), but goes a lot quiter when other countries slaughter their people en mass (take Syria). I don't get it.

Nir Ofek, Mar 12, 2013 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Is not it very clear that the purpose of this revaluation is to let Syria reaches this stage of distraction and mess!!!!! the strongest army in the region is getting weak. Al Qada who is originally created by US is now on the Syria land, 

no one (US, Qatar, Turkey, EU...ETC) has the interest to end up this violence, this is the scenario for Syria, which is pretty different from oil countries like Iraq, Libya, and Afghanistan.  

Why US and other countries who pretend to be very democratic and humans, never mentioned the occupied Golan heights in Syria? What about Somalia? people are dying from hunger and no one give a shit? 

At the end no need to mention who is getting the benefits, I think we all know.

Is not it very clear that the purpose of this revaluation is to let Syria reaches this stage of distraction and mess!!!!! the strongest army in the region is getting weak. Al Qada who is originally created by US is now on the Syria land, 

no one (US, Qatar, Turkey, EU...ETC) has the interest to end up this violence, this is the scenario for Syria, which is pretty different from oil countries like Iraq, Libya, and Afghanistan.  

Why US and other countries who pretend to be very democratic and humans, never mentioned the occupied Golan heights in Syria? What about Somalia? people are dying from hunger and no one give a shit? 

At the end no need to mention who is getting the benefits, I think we all know.

Omar A, Mar 12, 2013 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Have a look here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9925819/Former-US-soldier-turned-Syrian-rebel.html

everyday and then we hear about men fighting in Syria from different countries including Europe. 

Have a look here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9925819/Former-US-soldier-turned-Syrian-rebel.html

everyday and then we hear about men fighting in Syria from different countries including Europe. 

Omar A, Mar 12, 2013 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

and here is another one but in German: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/syrien-rebell-ruft-in-terrorvideo-auf-deutsch-zum-dschihad-auf-a-888134.html

and here is another one but in German: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/syrien-rebell-ruft-in-terrorvideo-auf-deutsch-zum-dschihad-auf-a-888134.html

Omar A, Mar 12, 2013 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Omar:

You say "At the end no need to mention who is getting the benefits, I think we all know.". Except for terror organizations who now have an easier time taking over parts of Syria, I don't see who else benefits from from Syria getting out of control and going into pieces. It puts the whole region at risk. Who do you think is seeing benefits from that? 

Omar:

You say "At the end no need to mention who is getting the benefits, I think we all know.". Except for terror organizations who now have an easier time taking over parts of Syria, I don't see who else benefits from from Syria getting out of control and going into pieces. It puts the whole region at risk. Who do you think is seeing benefits from that? 

Nir Ofek, Mar 12, 2013 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Omar A, Mar 12, 2013 @ 22:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Omar:

Mar 12, 13 22:35

Israel.

Israel.

catalin, Mar 13, 2013 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Cata: I think Israel stands to be the biggest loser if Syria becomes another lawless Iraq where terrorist organizations do what ever they want to do, or worse: where chemical weapons fall into the wrong hands. Why do you think Israel would benefit from Syria losing control?

Cata: I think Israel stands to be the biggest loser if Syria becomes another lawless Iraq where terrorist organizations do what ever they want to do, or worse: where chemical weapons fall into the wrong hands. Why do you think Israel would benefit from Syria losing control?

Nir Ofek, Mar 13, 2013 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Because HAMAS mostly get their weapons via the Syrian connection. With Syria under civil war or with a pro-american government, that supply route is severely damaged. There's always more than one way to look at things.

Because HAMAS mostly get their weapons via the Syrian connection. With Syria under civil war or with a pro-american government, that supply route is severely damaged. There's always more than one way to look at things.

catalin, Mar 13, 2013 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Mar 13, 13 21:53

Cata:

I hope you're right and Israel will somehow be better off when Syria settles down.

But the weapons transport thing is minor, not only cos Hamas gets most of its weapons from other sources (Iran + border smuggles accross egypt), but mainly cos the far bigger issue is that Syria could become like Iraq: no central government to control the terror groups, and a ground for terror groups from all over to settle in. Like Lebanon was after its civil wars, for years. 

Israel's border with Syria has been quite for the past 40 years. I think Israel can only lose from what's happening now in Syria. Hope I'll be proven wrong.

Cata:

I hope you're right and Israel will somehow be better off when Syria settles down.

But the weapons transport thing is minor, not only cos Hamas gets most of its weapons from other sources (Iran + border smuggles accross egypt), but mainly cos the far bigger issue is that Syria could become like Iraq: no central government to control the terror groups, and a ground for terror groups from all over to settle in. Like Lebanon was after its civil wars, for years. 

Israel's border with Syria has been quite for the past 40 years. I think Israel can only lose from what's happening now in Syria. Hope I'll be proven wrong.

Nir Ofek, Mar 13, 2013 @ 22:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

@Nir: it's been like that for years. For the muslim world, Israel and the US are the biggest devils in the world. Syria can kill 70,000 arabs in 2 years and keep killing them, and it's business as usual for the muslim world. Muslim leader treat their people in the worst possible way, denying them basic rights, but that's cool for other Muslim countries. But if Israel / US do 1% of that, the Muslim world boils. Fact of life.

@ Curtis: you really think that the world should support the Syrian government? Why? That government can get short term calm in Syria, but at a cost of killing all it opposition and repressing its people. I think the world should support the Syria rebels and help them with what's needed to topple the regime and bring freedom and peace to their country. There will surely be a bad transition period like in Iraq before the country settles down, but better that than a future of being ruled by murdering tyrants for the next 100 years.

@Nir: it's been like that for years. For the muslim world, Israel and the US are the biggest devils in the world. Syria can kill 70,000 arabs in 2 years and keep killing them, and it's business as usual for the muslim world. Muslim leader treat their people in the worst possible way, denying them basic rights, but that's cool for other Muslim countries. But if Israel / US do 1% of that, the Muslim world boils. Fact of life.

@ Curtis: you really think that the world should support the Syrian government? Why? That government can get short term calm in Syria, but at a cost of killing all it opposition and repressing its people. I think the world should support the Syria rebels and help them with what's needed to topple the regime and bring freedom and peace to their country. There will surely be a bad transition period like in Iraq before the country settles down, but better that than a future of being ruled by murdering tyrants for the next 100 years.

Mark Spencer, Mar 16, 2013 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

First of all we are not discussing Muslims and none Muslims nations. And you should not talk like that about other religion, even if I am not a believer but I respect all religions.your leaders are kissing the saudi asses to get their oil.

Secondly, you obviously know nothing about the Syrian case or Iraq or whatever is having around you.

Do you think Iraq is stable now?!!!!!!! you obviously very ignorant and you lack a lot of education.

First of all we are not discussing Muslims and none Muslims nations. And you should not talk like that about other religion, even if I am not a believer but I respect all religions.your leaders are kissing the saudi asses to get their oil.

Secondly, you obviously know nothing about the Syrian case or Iraq or whatever is having around you.

Do you think Iraq is stable now?!!!!!!! you obviously very ignorant and you lack a lot of education.

Omar A, Mar 16, 2013 @ 23:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

One should highlight that the arab world is weak and divided between Shi'a and Suni's, thus what is happening in Syria.

The whole world is doing nothing about it as China and Russia are backing Iran.

On the flip side of the picture USA, UK and Israel.

Stating the obvious: WW3

One should highlight that the arab world is weak and divided between Shi'a and Suni's, thus what is happening in Syria.

The whole world is doing nothing about it as China and Russia are backing Iran.

On the flip side of the picture USA, UK and Israel.

Stating the obvious: WW3

Salem T, Mar 17, 2013 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

i visted syria at the end of last century, syrian people are kind, generous, reffined people, they have a rich culture and amazing history, their country is very beautifull. 

it is sad all this amounts of violence,and destruction.i pray god, may have mercy on the people of syria, and mercy  for the dead, the wounded and the refugees.

i visted syria at the end of last century, syrian people are kind, generous, reffined people, they have a rich culture and amazing history, their country is very beautifull. 

it is sad all this amounts of violence,and destruction.i pray god, may have mercy on the people of syria, and mercy  for the dead, the wounded and the refugees.

gaudi, Mar 17, 2013 @ 21:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Mar 16, 13 23:43

Omar,

I'm not sure who your reply referes to, but the only mentions of Iraq, by both me and Mark, said that Iraq is a mess.

Instead of mis-reading repies and telling others they're ignorant, just focus on reading better.

Nir

Omar,

I'm not sure who your reply referes to, but the only mentions of Iraq, by both me and Mark, said that Iraq is a mess.

Instead of mis-reading repies and telling others they're ignorant, just focus on reading better.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 18, 2013 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Well, I read the international news daily and I see quite a lot on Syria, especially in the New York Times and the BBC.

There probably isn't enough news on international coordination efforts aiding refugees. 

I don't think any of the major powers has a clue what should be done. Seems they are waiting for more of the Syrian Army top officials to defect or be taken out.

Well, I read the international news daily and I see quite a lot on Syria, especially in the New York Times and the BBC.

There probably isn't enough news on international coordination efforts aiding refugees. 

I don't think any of the major powers has a clue what should be done. Seems they are waiting for more of the Syrian Army top officials to defect or be taken out.

Translator, Mar 18, 2013 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Syria, the home of the inteligencia in the past.. if you got 45 minutes just look at this video and check out what happened in the past 1400 years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Peace to you all, no matter what color, religion or planet you might be from.

Just tought this was interesting to watch as it is 100% based upon scientific facts and not boogoo boogoo stories..

Syria, the home of the inteligencia in the past.. if you got 45 minutes just look at this video and check out what happened in the past 1400 years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Peace to you all, no matter what color, religion or planet you might be from.

Just tought this was interesting to watch as it is 100% based upon scientific facts and not boogoo boogoo stories..

smile2sandro, Mar 19, 2013 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

The one who is called Nir, I was not talking to you. i am addressing the smarty guy who does not see a problem of going through transmission period like iraq. Years after the American invasion and up to day iraq still not stable.

The one who is called Nir, I was not talking to you. i am addressing the smarty guy who does not see a problem of going through transmission period like iraq. Years after the American invasion and up to day iraq still not stable.

Omar A, Mar 20, 2013 @ 00:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Mar 18, 13 17:04

Yeah, well, they've waited more than 2 years and there's over 70,000 deaths and a refugee crises. It doesn't seem to me this "waiting" has accomplished any good! 

Yeah, well, they've waited more than 2 years and there's over 70,000 deaths and a refugee crises. It doesn't seem to me this "waiting" has accomplished any good! 

giankee, Mar 22, 2013 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

When the violence broke out in Libya, an estimated 5,000 Libyans were killed until foreigners intervened (NATO)...then 100,000 Libyans were killed! Sometimes waiting is more humane than helping to slaughter people we hardly know.   

When the violence broke out in Libya, an estimated 5,000 Libyans were killed until foreigners intervened (NATO)...then 100,000 Libyans were killed! Sometimes waiting is more humane than helping to slaughter people we hardly know.   

Curtis D, Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Mar 22, 13 15:18

Jeez, I'm sorry! One must have forgotten that Lybia was oil & gas rich while Syria was more of an olive oil rich country instead! Wonder if that's got anything to do with it. Curtis please don't oversimplify, you should know better than that!  

Jeez, I'm sorry! One must have forgotten that Lybia was oil & gas rich while Syria was more of an olive oil rich country instead! Wonder if that's got anything to do with it. Curtis please don't oversimplify, you should know better than that!  

giankee, Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

everything is about money and power

its rediculous to think rebels in Syria are fighting for freedom. The Qatari emir who is financing them and financed rebels in Libya and Egypt and even also terrorists who killed foreigners in Algeria , is not doing this for freedom or for religion.

POWER; MONEY: you can have Money but no power and Qatar is looking for Power so using EU countries for that and EU and US looking for money and so oil and gas.

lot of people haven't learn anything from what happened in Iraq and Libya.

everything is about money and power

its rediculous to think rebels in Syria are fighting for freedom. The Qatari emir who is financing them and financed rebels in Libya and Egypt and even also terrorists who killed foreigners in Algeria , is not doing this for freedom or for religion.

POWER; MONEY: you can have Money but no power and Qatar is looking for Power so using EU countries for that and EU and US looking for money and so oil and gas.

lot of people haven't learn anything from what happened in Iraq and Libya.

ZINNOUR M, Mar 22, 2013 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Well, sadly, the whole 'Arab Spring' narrative turned into a very much predictable cycle of power challenges. So, maybe people just got tired of the same ol' same o'. Nice to see Israel out of the firing line for a change, though. Unless you subscribe to Omar's world view, that is...

Well, sadly, the whole 'Arab Spring' narrative turned into a very much predictable cycle of power challenges. So, maybe people just got tired of the same ol' same o'. Nice to see Israel out of the firing line for a change, though. Unless you subscribe to Omar's world view, that is...

rmike, Mar 22, 2013 @ 20:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Mar 22, 13 20:19

True, indeed nice for once to see that Israel is not being blames for stuff happening in Arab countries.

Althohgh if this thread contunies and Omar posts again, I have a feeling that will change...(-;

True, indeed nice for once to see that Israel is not being blames for stuff happening in Arab countries.

Althohgh if this thread contunies and Omar posts again, I have a feeling that will change...(-;

Nir Ofek, Mar 23, 2013 @ 23:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Oh, I am sure of that. Although there's ample evidence that Arab nations are perfectly capable of fucking up all by themselves, that canard has proved way too successful to go away anytime soon -- on either side of the barricades.

Oh, I am sure of that. Although there's ample evidence that Arab nations are perfectly capable of fucking up all by themselves, that canard has proved way too successful to go away anytime soon -- on either side of the barricades.

rmike, Mar 24, 2013 @ 01:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Everything is because of Arab Nations.

There is no solidarity between Arab Government...

May Allah all Syrian children and protect them from the criminal Assad and all the muslim community

Everything is because of Arab Nations.

There is no solidarity between Arab Government...

May Allah all Syrian children and protect them from the criminal Assad and all the muslim community

chida chida, Mar 31, 2013 @ 09:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

قالك ما تخافش من الأهبل خاف من خلفته

قالك ما تخافش من الأهبل خاف من خلفته

Salem T, Apr 1, 2013 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

@ Nir Ofek 06.03.2013: You claim that the war in Syria caused more deaths than any other wars since WW2. This is not true. Vietnam and Korea had far higher numbers, not to speak of the numerouos wars in Africa (Congo, Sudan, Nigeria) and the war between Iran-Iraq and Afghanistan (US- and SU-parts). 

That the UN is not involved more ist hat all the major players (UNSC) have little interest in that war. 

Why? Each player has ist own reasons. China does not like the UN to interfere in internal struggles. No suprise with their history. Russia wants to piss on US whenever possible, I highly doubt, that their position is based on any other reasons, not even the Tartus naval base. 

@Curtis 12.03.12 I guess, you are confusing casualties with killed. The 100k killed in Libya seems far too high. Plus I would like to see, which international laws were broken, as you claimed. If the situation were as clear as you claim, you should have good evidence. 

I always hate those, who on one hand talk about international law, but have no problem with supporting a ruthless dictator. 

@Omar A 12.03.12, Syria had the strongest army in the region? Bullshit! The Turkish Army is far larger plus it has far superior weapons. Assad can only rely on a small part of his army, less than a third is combat-effective. In your further posts, you talk about foreign fighters. Most of them are Muslims who immigrated to Europe or the USA and are returning „home“. There are hardly any non-muslim foreign fighters, I’ve seen only one report of an Chinese guy who for all I know could be a Muslim convert. 

Syria is not like the Spanish Civil War, where huge numbers of foreign soldiers went to fight (besides Jihadists). 

@Nir Ofek, 12.03.12: I see little risk, that Jihadists will rule in Syria or Libya any time soon. They just don’t have the numbers. They can of course cause harm, but I don’t see them to be strong enough to dominate the society. 

@Omar 16.03.13: „you obviously very ignorant and you lack a lot of education.“ This is a bit ironic coming from you. The Muslim hypocracy is well known, your only counter argument is calling others stupid or islamophobe. Using more than one exclamation mark is not a sign of a valuable argument. 

@Salem T 17.03.13: I agree, that the Arab world is weak. But I don’t see any major powers going to war (WW3) over any Arab country. Syria shows the disintrest of all the major powers of the world towards the Arab world. 

@Zinnour M, 22.03.13: Where ist hat oil and gas in Syria, which according to you, makes the EU want to intervene? And which EU wanting to intervene are you talking about? I don’t see any major power in the EU being willing to intervene in Syria. I always laugh about those conspiracy theorists, They see EU intervening in Syria, when hardly anything happens at all… 

@Nir Ofe 23.03.13 Don’t you know? It is all a plan of Evil Juice and their sharks with lasers trying to topple nice guy Assad to install jihadi muslim terrorists… /sarcasm off

@ Nir Ofek 06.03.2013: You claim that the war in Syria caused more deaths than any other wars since WW2. This is not true. Vietnam and Korea had far higher numbers, not to speak of the numerouos wars in Africa (Congo, Sudan, Nigeria) and the war between Iran-Iraq and Afghanistan (US- and SU-parts). 

That the UN is not involved more ist hat all the major players (UNSC) have little interest in that war. 

Why? Each player has ist own reasons. China does not like the UN to interfere in internal struggles. No suprise with their history. Russia wants to piss on US whenever possible, I highly doubt, that their position is based on any other reasons, not even the Tartus naval base. 

@Curtis 12.03.12 I guess, you are confusing casualties with killed. The 100k killed in Libya seems far too high. Plus I would like to see, which international laws were broken, as you claimed. If the situation were as clear as you claim, you should have good evidence. 

I always hate those, who on one hand talk about international law, but have no problem with supporting a ruthless dictator. 

@Omar A 12.03.12, Syria had the strongest army in the region? Bullshit! The Turkish Army is far larger plus it has far superior weapons. Assad can only rely on a small part of his army, less than a third is combat-effective. In your further posts, you talk about foreign fighters. Most of them are Muslims who immigrated to Europe or the USA and are returning „home“. There are hardly any non-muslim foreign fighters, I’ve seen only one report of an Chinese guy who for all I know could be a Muslim convert. 

Syria is not like the Spanish Civil War, where huge numbers of foreign soldiers went to fight (besides Jihadists). 

@Nir Ofek, 12.03.12: I see little risk, that Jihadists will rule in Syria or Libya any time soon. They just don’t have the numbers. They can of course cause harm, but I don’t see them to be strong enough to dominate the society. 

@Omar 16.03.13: „you obviously very ignorant and you lack a lot of education.“ This is a bit ironic coming from you. The Muslim hypocracy is well known, your only counter argument is calling others stupid or islamophobe. Using more than one exclamation mark is not a sign of a valuable argument. 

@Salem T 17.03.13: I agree, that the Arab world is weak. But I don’t see any major powers going to war (WW3) over any Arab country. Syria shows the disintrest of all the major powers of the world towards the Arab world. 

@Zinnour M, 22.03.13: Where ist hat oil and gas in Syria, which according to you, makes the EU want to intervene? And which EU wanting to intervene are you talking about? I don’t see any major power in the EU being willing to intervene in Syria. I always laugh about those conspiracy theorists, They see EU intervening in Syria, when hardly anything happens at all… 

@Nir Ofe 23.03.13 Don’t you know? It is all a plan of Evil Juice and their sharks with lasers trying to topple nice guy Assad to install jihadi muslim terrorists… /sarcasm off

Alan S, Apr 9, 2013 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

I think it is cliché to use words like Jihadists, muslim hypocracy or Jihadi muslim terrorist...

I want to highlight that The Arab spring movement in countries like Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Syria originated from the street and not by any relegious leaders.

At this present time the arab countries mentioned have live lived through the change of a so called ''democratic process''  for the most part thugs running the streets and the situation is really devestating.

I want to emphasize a few points: the huge number of Weapons circulating around these countries, high poverty and unemployment as well as people suffering from Posttraumatic stress disorder.
All these factors will bread ignorance and violence and thus ''extremist groups'' in my view that donnot speak or represent any religion.

I would prefer to use words like ''extremist groups'' or ''gorilla fighters'' that shouldnt be linked with international terrorism.

In regards with Syria in perticular, it is an extremly strategic country for all major powers as it is neighboring with the saught for Golan hights and major oil and gas pipelines..

If Assad's regime falls it will put pressure on the Gollan hights territory and this might well errupt a major conflict where the world seems already divided.

I think it is cliché to use words like Jihadists, muslim hypocracy or Jihadi muslim terrorist...

I want to highlight that The Arab spring movement in countries like Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Syria originated from the street and not by any relegious leaders.

At this present time the arab countries mentioned have live lived through the change of a so called ''democratic process''  for the most part thugs running the streets and the situation is really devestating.

I want to emphasize a few points: the huge number of Weapons circulating around these countries, high poverty and unemployment as well as people suffering from Posttraumatic stress disorder.
All these factors will bread ignorance and violence and thus ''extremist groups'' in my view that donnot speak or represent any religion.

I would prefer to use words like ''extremist groups'' or ''gorilla fighters'' that shouldnt be linked with international terrorism.

In regards with Syria in perticular, it is an extremly strategic country for all major powers as it is neighboring with the saught for Golan hights and major oil and gas pipelines..

If Assad's regime falls it will put pressure on the Gollan hights territory and this might well errupt a major conflict where the world seems already divided.

Salem T, Apr 19, 2013 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

I like to call a spade a spade. Why not call a Jihadist a Jihadist, when he self-identifies as a Jihadist. The Jihadi muslim terrorist is a bit of a pleonasm, Jihadi terrorist would be better.

You want to disconnect Jihadists from Islam, but that would be dishonest. Christians might hate Westboro Baptist Church, but that does not mean, that WBC does not take its positions from the Bible. The mere existance of Jihadi terrorist does not per se make every Muslim a bad person nor per se Islam a wrong religion.

Besides high poverty and other points you mention, you are missing the low level of education in large parts of the public. I do think, at least this part, is strongly linked to Islam, as it as well as Christianity has a strong dogmatic (don't question my faith, my authority, my holy book) world view.

As to an expanding conflict, I don’t see a threat of a major conflict. To the north lies Turkey, a NATO-member with a strong and large army. South lies Israel with a strong albeit smaller army. Both Israel and Turkey would be backed by NATO and / or the US and I see no chance that China or Russia would oppose NATO/US for Syria (as they both didn’t concerning the war in Iraq).

Then to the West, there is Libanon, which might be already part of the conflict. Even if we were to have a fullout war in Libanon and Syria, I wouldn’t see it as an major conflict. To the East is Iraq which still suffers from the last conflict and has little interest or power to join a new war. Jordan, the last neighbour, has somehow managed to escape the regional turmoil. Being a important US-ally, I guess that the Hashemite kingdom would have a similiar support as the Jewish state from the US. 

PS. Please save the Gorillas and don’t mix them with Guerillas.

I like to call a spade a spade. Why not call a Jihadist a Jihadist, when he self-identifies as a Jihadist. The Jihadi muslim terrorist is a bit of a pleonasm, Jihadi terrorist would be better.

You want to disconnect Jihadists from Islam, but that would be dishonest. Christians might hate Westboro Baptist Church, but that does not mean, that WBC does not take its positions from the Bible. The mere existance of Jihadi terrorist does not per se make every Muslim a bad person nor per se Islam a wrong religion.

Besides high poverty and other points you mention, you are missing the low level of education in large parts of the public. I do think, at least this part, is strongly linked to Islam, as it as well as Christianity has a strong dogmatic (don't question my faith, my authority, my holy book) world view.

As to an expanding conflict, I don’t see a threat of a major conflict. To the north lies Turkey, a NATO-member with a strong and large army. South lies Israel with a strong albeit smaller army. Both Israel and Turkey would be backed by NATO and / or the US and I see no chance that China or Russia would oppose NATO/US for Syria (as they both didn’t concerning the war in Iraq).

Then to the West, there is Libanon, which might be already part of the conflict. Even if we were to have a fullout war in Libanon and Syria, I wouldn’t see it as an major conflict. To the East is Iraq which still suffers from the last conflict and has little interest or power to join a new war. Jordan, the last neighbour, has somehow managed to escape the regional turmoil. Being a important US-ally, I guess that the Hashemite kingdom would have a similiar support as the Jewish state from the US. 

PS. Please save the Gorillas and don’t mix them with Guerillas.

Alan S, Apr 22, 2013 @ 07:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I agree with the sentiment that it's a nice change of pace to read something other than Anti-American or Anti-Semitic remarks on here. 

The Boston Marathin Bombing sympathy banner is a hoot considering the facts of that case.

I agree with the sentiment that it's a nice change of pace to read something other than Anti-American or Anti-Semitic remarks on here. 

The Boston Marathin Bombing sympathy banner is a hoot considering the facts of that case.

roman s, Apr 22, 2013 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Not to go too off topic, but this media focus situation is another symptom of the bigger problem. Hopefully everyone has wakened up and realizes and accepts that most all the big news channels and outlets, hopefully with some few exceptions are just extended PR departments of larger government and business interests. Maybe some more than others.

Much of what is called "public opinion" is manufactured. Most reporters that try and buck this system seem to be either discreditted and fired or just quit from disappointment. Some people on the forum may have strong beliefs where this is not the case and debate with me, but all in all, I really believe this is the sad state of affairs in the press today.

Not to go too off topic, but this media focus situation is another symptom of the bigger problem. Hopefully everyone has wakened up and realizes and accepts that most all the big news channels and outlets, hopefully with some few exceptions are just extended PR departments of larger government and business interests. Maybe some more than others.

Much of what is called "public opinion" is manufactured. Most reporters that try and buck this system seem to be either discreditted and fired or just quit from disappointment. Some people on the forum may have strong beliefs where this is not the case and debate with me, but all in all, I really believe this is the sad state of affairs in the press today.

Peter Y, Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

There is also a lot of other factors that play into what gets press noise and what doesnt. For example still today, in Los Angeles. If there is a gang shooting in a predominately white neighborhood like a shopping mall, with two rival black or latino gangs exchanging fire, and a white bystander is injured or killed this makes the paper. BUT the countless weekly innercity black/latino gang killings rarely do. Or even if a black or latino bystander gets killed.

I'm in no means trying to compare this to the Syrian or Israel situations, but just curious, to what extent do you think this mentality that "some lives are worth reporting on than others" plays out in the Syrian civil war news coverage? And here I'm not only asking about US news outlets, but all other countries as well. Thanks.

There is also a lot of other factors that play into what gets press noise and what doesnt. For example still today, in Los Angeles. If there is a gang shooting in a predominately white neighborhood like a shopping mall, with two rival black or latino gangs exchanging fire, and a white bystander is injured or killed this makes the paper. BUT the countless weekly innercity black/latino gang killings rarely do. Or even if a black or latino bystander gets killed.

I'm in no means trying to compare this to the Syrian or Israel situations, but just curious, to what extent do you think this mentality that "some lives are worth reporting on than others" plays out in the Syrian civil war news coverage? And here I'm not only asking about US news outlets, but all other countries as well. Thanks.

Peter Y, Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

I see three "themes"

News is a special plural form of the word new. These days, there will be less focus on the war in Syria or the war in Mali as there would be, if China had invaded Japan last night. TV and daily newspapers produce mostly news, not analysis.

Plus there is the hometown effect. A car accident in the hometown killing two is more important than an car accident killing ten in the same nation which is more important than a car accident killing 150 in Vietnam. This does also mean, that deaths of back or latino US-citizens are less important (always from a news-producer point of view) than of a white US-citizen (unless the newspaper has a majority of black or latino readers).

Last but not least, always-on. When I was young (man, this is going to reveal my age or maybe just the location I grew up), people were content of getting news two or three times a day. Morning newspaper, radio news during lunch and tv news after supper. Today, there is an almost constant stream of news flooding many consumers. But as there doesn't seem to be a huge rise in the numbers of reporters, there is a decline in quality. Mostly we see speculations which is repeated over and over again...

If one is really interested in the world around us, turning the tv off is a good start. Choosing the right newspaper or newspapers is next. Those combined with the right online-portals can keep you informed well enought. Reading a book or two about the subjects you are interested in gives more informations, than a month worth of tv and normal newspapers.

I see three "themes"

News is a special plural form of the word new. These days, there will be less focus on the war in Syria or the war in Mali as there would be, if China had invaded Japan last night. TV and daily newspapers produce mostly news, not analysis.

Plus there is the hometown effect. A car accident in the hometown killing two is more important than an car accident killing ten in the same nation which is more important than a car accident killing 150 in Vietnam. This does also mean, that deaths of back or latino US-citizens are less important (always from a news-producer point of view) than of a white US-citizen (unless the newspaper has a majority of black or latino readers).

Last but not least, always-on. When I was young (man, this is going to reveal my age or maybe just the location I grew up), people were content of getting news two or three times a day. Morning newspaper, radio news during lunch and tv news after supper. Today, there is an almost constant stream of news flooding many consumers. But as there doesn't seem to be a huge rise in the numbers of reporters, there is a decline in quality. Mostly we see speculations which is repeated over and over again...

If one is really interested in the world around us, turning the tv off is a good start. Choosing the right newspaper or newspapers is next. Those combined with the right online-portals can keep you informed well enought. Reading a book or two about the subjects you are interested in gives more informations, than a month worth of tv and normal newspapers.

Alan S, Apr 24, 2013 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Thank you For Your Post Peter, it is important to say that most media now days is far from the truth and has been hugely misleading over the years ever since the so called '' war on terror'' started.

Thank you For Your Post Peter, it is important to say that most media now days is far from the truth and has been hugely misleading over the years ever since the so called '' war on terror'' started.

Salem T, Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Salem T, Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Well that is really bad happening in Syria, UN have to take an action and must lead form front.

Well that is really bad happening in Syria, UN have to take an action and must lead form front.

hassel lee, May 22, 2013 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

May 22, 13 11:35

My answer also goes to Salem, who also critizised the UN.

You claim to be from the UK, Salem claims to be from Switzerland.

The UN is made up by its member states. I am certain, that Switzerland will not send troops to die in Syria, neither for the rebels, neither for Assad. Therefore it is more than hypocritcal for Salem, to critizise the UN for not acting.

The UK on the other hand has an army capable of acting in Syria. Even though it is just trying to get its troops back from A'stan without much further cost in lives.

So Hassel, as a Brit, are you willing to fight in Syria or are you just sending other people's kids to die there and if yes, on which side?

Everyone loves to blame the UN, but first they really should concentrate on their own country.

Salem at least sounds Arabic. So why not concentrate on Arabs? Where is the reaction of the Arab League? In Lybia, they were able to agree on one position, but why not in Syria? How should the UN succeed, when the Arabs can't agree?

But it is always easier to blame someone else than to look at ones own mistakes...

My answer also goes to Salem, who also critizised the UN.

You claim to be from the UK, Salem claims to be from Switzerland.

The UN is made up by its member states. I am certain, that Switzerland will not send troops to die in Syria, neither for the rebels, neither for Assad. Therefore it is more than hypocritcal for Salem, to critizise the UN for not acting.

The UK on the other hand has an army capable of acting in Syria. Even though it is just trying to get its troops back from A'stan without much further cost in lives.

So Hassel, as a Brit, are you willing to fight in Syria or are you just sending other people's kids to die there and if yes, on which side?

Everyone loves to blame the UN, but first they really should concentrate on their own country.

Salem at least sounds Arabic. So why not concentrate on Arabs? Where is the reaction of the Arab League? In Lybia, they were able to agree on one position, but why not in Syria? How should the UN succeed, when the Arabs can't agree?

But it is always easier to blame someone else than to look at ones own mistakes...

Alan S, May 22, 2013 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Even before the UN takes action, why don't neighbor Arab countries take action?

The neighbor Arab countries have a stake in the outcome of the conflict and know Asad well and can influence him directly (vis politics or force). Yet they can't even come out with a joint statement about the situation, let alone take real action.

If Israel or the US would have commited a fraction of the stuff Asad has been doing for the past 2 years, the whole Arab world would been in turmoil. When Asad kills nearly 100,000 people in 2 years, all is quite.

Even before the UN takes action, why don't neighbor Arab countries take action?

The neighbor Arab countries have a stake in the outcome of the conflict and know Asad well and can influence him directly (vis politics or force). Yet they can't even come out with a joint statement about the situation, let alone take real action.

If Israel or the US would have commited a fraction of the stuff Asad has been doing for the past 2 years, the whole Arab world would been in turmoil. When Asad kills nearly 100,000 people in 2 years, all is quite.

Nir Ofek, May 22, 2013 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Not that the Syrian rebels are better than Asad tho...Check out this video, with some of the worst graphic violence I'd ever seen.

Asad is bad for his people, but I think that if the rebels take over, things will be even worse.

http://youtu.be/lKHkpQSjc-s

Not that the Syrian rebels are better than Asad tho...Check out this video, with some of the worst graphic violence I'd ever seen.

Asad is bad for his people, but I think that if the rebels take over, things will be even worse.

http://youtu.be/lKHkpQSjc-s

Nir Ofek, May 23, 2013 @ 18:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Now that the ban of arming the FSA has been lifted, will we see an influx of arms in the region? I doubt, that even if the UK sends weapons, we will see many SA80s but like in Lybia just more AK74s and especially ammunition.

Now that the ban of arming the FSA has been lifted, will we see an influx of arms in the region? I doubt, that even if the UK sends weapons, we will see many SA80s but like in Lybia just more AK74s and especially ammunition.

Alan S, May 29, 2013 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

About noise, there is not much about the OVER 90'000 Arabs/Palestinians killed in the Israeli-Arab conflit since it started.

It's time the international community acts agains the criminal state of Israel too.

About noise, there is not much about the OVER 90'000 Arabs/Palestinians killed in the Israeli-Arab conflit since it started.

It's time the international community acts agains the criminal state of Israel too.

Juan D, May 29, 2013 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Maybe Arabs should not have messed with Israel, but created viable and prosperous states of their own. But it is always easier for those antisemitic racists like Juan D to blame Israel, than to accept your own shortcomings.

Maybe Arabs should not have messed with Israel, but created viable and prosperous states of their own. But it is always easier for those antisemitic racists like Juan D to blame Israel, than to accept your own shortcomings.

Alan S, May 29, 2013 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Re Israel and Palestine have a look at this: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=7719

Re Syria...this is a statement we orally delivered in the UN's Human Rights Council special debate on Syria yesterday:

Oral Statement of Association of World Citizens

to the 23rd Regular Session of the Human Rights Council

discussion on Syria

(29 May 2013) 

The Association of World Citizens, together with International-Lawyers.Org, expresses its concern at the humanitarian situation in Syria. We strongly condemn all use of excessive force by the government of Syria as well as by the foreign-backed rebels.

Peace in Syria, a human right of the people of Syria, must come through the peaceful cooperation of the Syrian people whatever their political beliefs and through the full participation of all Syrians in the political life of their country.

We deeply regret the efforts of foreign States to fan the flames of violence in Syria through the provisions of weapons to non-government actors, a serious violation of international law and especially the human right to life of Syrians killed by these weapons. We ask the Council and its relevant special mechanisms to look into the State responsibility of those States providing weapons to entities in Syria in violation of their international obligations.

We also deeply regret that there is significant evidence of the direct involvement of foreign States, some of which are Members of this Human Rights Council, in the conflict in Syria through the provision of intelligence that promotes violence and by setting-up obstacles to the ending of the violence. Thus, while we welcome the peace talks that are scheduled to take place right here in Geneva in the next few weeks, we regret that even countries that were instrumental in calling for these talks are now at work undermining their own efforts by restricting who participates in the talks and by intensifying their efforts to promote violence in Syria.

An honest and effective effort to achieve peace must be begin by the rejection of violence, inclusive talks, and a commitment by the international community to promote peace not violence in Syria. Today, States, including those in this Council seem not to be making such an effort. We urge this Council to be an instrument of peace by demanding such an effort of all States in a balanced resolution condemning all violence in Syria and particularly condemning the promotion of violence by foreign countries.

Re Israel and Palestine have a look at this: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=7719

Re Syria...this is a statement we orally delivered in the UN's Human Rights Council special debate on Syria yesterday:

Oral Statement of Association of World Citizens

to the 23rd Regular Session of the Human Rights Council

discussion on Syria

(29 May 2013) 

The Association of World Citizens, together with International-Lawyers.Org, expresses its concern at the humanitarian situation in Syria. We strongly condemn all use of excessive force by the government of Syria as well as by the foreign-backed rebels.

Peace in Syria, a human right of the people of Syria, must come through the peaceful cooperation of the Syrian people whatever their political beliefs and through the full participation of all Syrians in the political life of their country.

We deeply regret the efforts of foreign States to fan the flames of violence in Syria through the provisions of weapons to non-government actors, a serious violation of international law and especially the human right to life of Syrians killed by these weapons. We ask the Council and its relevant special mechanisms to look into the State responsibility of those States providing weapons to entities in Syria in violation of their international obligations.

We also deeply regret that there is significant evidence of the direct involvement of foreign States, some of which are Members of this Human Rights Council, in the conflict in Syria through the provision of intelligence that promotes violence and by setting-up obstacles to the ending of the violence. Thus, while we welcome the peace talks that are scheduled to take place right here in Geneva in the next few weeks, we regret that even countries that were instrumental in calling for these talks are now at work undermining their own efforts by restricting who participates in the talks and by intensifying their efforts to promote violence in Syria.

An honest and effective effort to achieve peace must be begin by the rejection of violence, inclusive talks, and a commitment by the international community to promote peace not violence in Syria. Today, States, including those in this Council seem not to be making such an effort. We urge this Council to be an instrument of peace by demanding such an effort of all States in a balanced resolution condemning all violence in Syria and particularly condemning the promotion of violence by foreign countries.

Curtis D, May 30, 2013 @ 08:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Why does it only mention "foreign-backed rebels" when we know that Assad also gets foreign support and even troops.

I highly doubt, that war will end my peaceful means.

Why does it only mention "foreign-backed rebels" when we know that Assad also gets foreign support and even troops.

I highly doubt, that war will end my peaceful means.

Alan S, May 30, 2013 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

About Syria, I am shocked about the fact that many countries, IN COMPLETE VIOLATION OF INTERNATIOANAL LAW, are providing weapons to terrorist groups who are responsible of the killing of thousands of Syrian.

Those countires have been condemned by the United Nations. It's time now the act like complices of terrorist Syrian groups

About Syria, I am shocked about the fact that many countries, IN COMPLETE VIOLATION OF INTERNATIOANAL LAW, are providing weapons to terrorist groups who are responsible of the killing of thousands of Syrian.

Those countires have been condemned by the United Nations. It's time now the act like complices of terrorist Syrian groups

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 06:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Who are the "many countries" supplying weapons to terrorist groups?

Where is that condemnation by the UN? Can you offer any like or proof for such a claim or is it just one of your many baseless claims?

The conlfict in Syria is complicated. Probably it would be nice to have such a simple view of the conflict as Juan D has. On the one had, the white knight, Assad, defender of the peace, on the other hand terrorist supported by Israel and US, the small and big Satan.

The reality though is far more complex.

Who are the "many countries" supplying weapons to terrorist groups?

Where is that condemnation by the UN? Can you offer any like or proof for such a claim or is it just one of your many baseless claims?

The conlfict in Syria is complicated. Probably it would be nice to have such a simple view of the conflict as Juan D has. On the one had, the white knight, Assad, defender of the peace, on the other hand terrorist supported by Israel and US, the small and big Satan.

The reality though is far more complex.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 07:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

I have heard a news that now some other countries are going to send their army to Syria to control the situation, is that true ?

I have heard a news that now some other countries are going to send their army to Syria to control the situation, is that true ?

hassel lee, May 31, 2013 @ 08:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

May 31, 13 08:02

Do you have any sources? I haven't seen anything in this direction. France IMHO is occupied in Africa. Don't see them being able to deploy larger numbers. Neither do I see the UK being able to send large numbers to Syria.

The US is quite public in their troop movements. And I have seen nothing to the effect that would allow them to control the situation.

China and Russia have no capabilties to send large numbers of troops and equipment to Syria in a short timeframe.

So, I guess, it is not true.

Do you have any sources? I haven't seen anything in this direction. France IMHO is occupied in Africa. Don't see them being able to deploy larger numbers. Neither do I see the UK being able to send large numbers to Syria.

The US is quite public in their troop movements. And I have seen nothing to the effect that would allow them to control the situation.

China and Russia have no capabilties to send large numbers of troops and equipment to Syria in a short timeframe.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 08:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

At the 23rd Regular Session of the Human Rights Council discussion on Syria, many groups have expressed thieir deep worries about countries sending weapons to the terrorist Syrian groups, which are responsible of the killing of thousands of Syrans civilians.

Sending weapons to terrorist is in complete violaiton of international law!

At the 23rd Regular Session of the Human Rights Council discussion on Syria, many groups have expressed thieir deep worries about countries sending weapons to the terrorist Syrian groups, which are responsible of the killing of thousands of Syrans civilians.

Sending weapons to terrorist is in complete violaiton of international law!

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

Again Juan D is unable or unwilling to support his claims that there are "countries sending weapons to the terrorist Syrian groups".

I am not holding my breath that Juan D is able to proof his claims.

Again Juan D is unable or unwilling to support his claims that there are "countries sending weapons to the terrorist Syrian groups".

I am not holding my breath that Juan D is able to proof his claims.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53

In reality, there are terroristic fighters on both sides.

In reality, there are terroristic fighters on both sides.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

On one side there is the goverment, on the other side you have terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs... 

Those terrorists groups receive weapons from complices countries (mainly NATO countires), in complete violation of international law

On one side there is the goverment, on the other side you have terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs... 

Those terrorists groups receive weapons from complices countries (mainly NATO countires), in complete violation of international law

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

One side is the regime, supported by Hezbollah, which the main democraties define as a terrorist organisation.

There is no proof, that NATO countries delivered weapons to terrorist groups.

One side is the regime, supported by Hezbollah, which the main democraties define as a terrorist organisation.

There is no proof, that NATO countries delivered weapons to terrorist groups.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

On one side there is the Goverment of Syria, a sovereign state. And on the other side... there are terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs... 

Those terrorists groups full support of their complices, mainly NATO countris, which is in complete violation of international law

On one side there is the Goverment of Syria, a sovereign state. And on the other side... there are terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs... 

Those terrorists groups full support of their complices, mainly NATO countris, which is in complete violation of international law
Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

Again, on one side a murderous regime under a corrupt president whose father murdered over 40'000 of his own people, supported by the terrorist organisation Hezbollah and armed by an undemocratic theocracy aka Iran with the help of psuedo-democratic Putin-Russia who in this war have killed more civilians than the rebels, shelling Syrian towns and its civilians with MRLs, artillery and unguided bombs versus the rebels.

Again, there is no evidence at all, that NATO countries have supported terrorist elements who are fighting Assad.

Again, on one side a murderous regime under a corrupt president whose father murdered over 40'000 of his own people, supported by the terrorist organisation Hezbollah and armed by an undemocratic theocracy aka Iran with the help of psuedo-democratic Putin-Russia who in this war have killed more civilians than the rebels, shelling Syrian towns and its civilians with MRLs, artillery and unguided bombs versus the rebels.

Again, there is no evidence at all, that NATO countries have supported terrorist elements who are fighting Assad.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

On one side there is the sovereign State of Syria.

On the other side... there are terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs...

These terrorist groups receive support from their complices, mainly NATO countries, which is in complete violation of international law. NATO has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law

On the other side... there are terrorists groups responsible of the killings of thousands of arabs...

These terrorist groups receive support from their complices, mainly NATO countries, which is in complete violation of international law. NATO has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

There is a reason, that the GB gold coin is called sovereign. Sovereignty is not the problem in Syria, but if the regime is the lawful, just and right government of Syria.

If the people of the country were not allowed to question their sovereign, most countries would still be monarchies and the USA would still be a colony of GB as well as most African nations would be colonies of European nations.

Ergo there is nothing wrong, when the citizens revolt against their government, like they did in France, USA, Lybia and now Syria. That does not make the rebels terrorists. There are terrorists fighting with the rebles, but not every rebel (by far) is a terrorist.

There is a reason, that the GB gold coin is called sovereign. Sovereignty is not the problem in Syria, but if the regime is the lawful, just and right government of Syria.

If the people of the country were not allowed to question their sovereign, most countries would still be monarchies and the USA would still be a colony of GB as well as most African nations would be colonies of European nations.

Ergo there is nothing wrong, when the citizens revolt against their government, like they did in France, USA, Lybia and now Syria. That does not make the rebels terrorists. There are terrorists fighting with the rebles, but not every rebel (by far) is a terrorist.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

These terrorist groups receive support from their complices, mainly NATO countries, which is in complete violation of international law.

NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of Syria. Nato has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law

These terrorist groups receive support from their complices, mainly NATO countries, which is in complete violation of international law.

NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of Syria. Nato has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

Copy paste is no argument, not even for John Cleese.

And if you knew anything about internationl law, you would know, that there are several legal justifications for NATO to invade Syria.

One, an attack on Turkey, as might already have happended in two cases (plane shot down and car bombs in Turkey).

Two, use of WMD, like the chemical weapons Assad's troops already used in several occations.

So again, you just show complete ignorance of the law and the facts.

Copy paste is no argument, not even for John Cleese.

And if you knew anything about internationl law, you would know, that there are several legal justifications for NATO to invade Syria.

One, an attack on Turkey, as might already have happended in two cases (plane shot down and car bombs in Turkey).

Two, use of WMD, like the chemical weapons Assad's troops already used in several occations.

So again, you just show complete ignorance of the law and the facts.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

LOL, you are very funny again Smile

NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of Syria. Nato has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law.

NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria. Again, this is in complete violation of international law.

As the infamous crimes of the israeli government in Palestine.. represents GROSS violations of international law (except maybe for the criminal government of Israel...)

LOL, you are very funny again Smile

NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of Syria. Nato has plans of invading Syria, which would be in violation of international law.

NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria. Again, this is in complete violation of international law.

As the infamous crimes of the israeli government in Palestine.. represents GROSS violations of international law (except maybe for the criminal government of Israel...)

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 16:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 63

I wouldn't call you funny, but I can't be honest or some mod gets sad.

I just told you two cases, where NATO legally can invade Syria. You ignore them.

You again claim again without any evidence, that NATO is arming terrorists, which they are de facto not doing.

And you bring Israel to a Syria post, which I will ignore here.

I wouldn't call you funny, but I can't be honest or some mod gets sad.

I just told you two cases, where NATO legally can invade Syria. You ignore them.

You again claim again without any evidence, that NATO is arming terrorists, which they are de facto not doing.

And you bring Israel to a Syria post, which I will ignore here.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 64

Get me out of this thread! This endless discusion between Juan and Alan S (is this ex Seasach?) must be one of the most stupid discussions I have ever seen. Juan, you are like a parrot that can't think and just copy pastes. Alan S, I admire your patience with Juan, but you fail to realise you're wasting your time on him.

Go to sleep guys, go relax, but stop this stupid ping pong.

Get me out of this thread! This endless discusion between Juan and Alan S (is this ex Seasach?) must be one of the most stupid discussions I have ever seen. Juan, you are like a parrot that can't think and just copy pastes. Alan S, I admire your patience with Juan, but you fail to realise you're wasting your time on him.

Go to sleep guys, go relax, but stop this stupid ping pong.

Mark Spencer, May 31, 2013 @ 17:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 65

Sorry Mark (yes, ex seasch here), I thought that all had already left this thread.

It soon is weekend, then this all belongs to Juan D. Would be nice to have an ignore function, so that not even the posts of some people would be visible.

Sorry Mark (yes, ex seasch here), I thought that all had already left this thread.

It soon is weekend, then this all belongs to Juan D. Would be nice to have an ignore function, so that not even the posts of some people would be visible.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 66

Dear Alan,

Good you finally agree that NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria. This is a violation of international law : one cannot kill and destroy an Arab country, just because some countries don't like them : it's completely illegal

Dear Alan,

Good you finally agree that NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria. This is a violation of international law : one cannot kill and destroy an Arab country, just because some countries don't like them : it's completely illegal

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 67

I never supported NATO giving arms to terrorist groups. But that is not happening in Syria, despite your numerous false claims.

You make it sound, as if I had argued differently.

I am all for the NATO arming the FSA though. When Russia is arming Assad, NATO has to arm the FSA or the massacre of Hama will be repeated.

I never supported NATO giving arms to terrorist groups. But that is not happening in Syria, despite your numerous false claims.

You make it sound, as if I had argued differently.

I am all for the NATO arming the FSA though. When Russia is arming Assad, NATO has to arm the FSA or the massacre of Hama will be repeated.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 68

Dear Alan S,

Good you finally agree that NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria.

The FSA terrorists are kilings Syrian civilians. So, I am very shocked you support NATO arming FSA terrorist, would be... "a violation of international law" Wink...

Dear Alan S,

Good you finally agree that NATO must also stop its support to the terrorist groups in Syria.

The FSA terrorists are kilings Syrian civilians. So, I am very shocked you support NATO arming FSA terrorist, would be... "a violation of international law" Wink...

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 69

The FSA is not a terrorist organisation. Citizens have the right to stand up against their oppressive government!

The FSA is not a terrorist organisation. Citizens have the right to stand up against their oppressive government!

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 70

Dear Alan S,

The FSA is a terrorists group, who are responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians.

So, I am very shocked you support FSA terrorist groups....

Dear Alan S,

The FSA is a terrorists group, who are responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians.

So, I am very shocked you support FSA terrorist groups....

Juan D, May 31, 2013 @ 22:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 71

No country of importance has put the FSA on a terrorist list. You might think you have better information than the western intelligence agencies, but at least till now, you have missed every opportunity to show such superiority nor basic knowledge of the conflict or the region.

So forgive me for not trusting your expertise, your claims.

No country of importance has put the FSA on a terrorist list. You might think you have better information than the western intelligence agencies, but at least till now, you have missed every opportunity to show such superiority nor basic knowledge of the conflict or the region.

So forgive me for not trusting your expertise, your claims.

Alan S, May 31, 2013 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 72

Dear Alan S,

The FSA is a terrorist group: responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians, no legal basis, no democratically elected, murdering people : in complete violation of international law.

I repeat again : I am very shocked about your behaviour of supporting the FSA, which is a terrorist group... One cannot support an illegal and criminal Frowngroup, come on my dear

Dear Alan S,

The FSA is a terrorist group: responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians, no legal basis, no democratically elected, murdering people : in complete violation of international law.

I repeat again : I am very shocked about your behaviour of supporting the FSA, which is a terrorist group... One cannot support an illegal and criminal Frowngroup, come on my dear

Juan D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 73

You are making false claims without proof over and over again. Perhaps, because as I have shown, you don't know the words you are actually using.

So if you want to convince me, that the FSA is a terrorist group, you have to provide evidence (something that furnishes proof according to Merriam Webster) instead of repeating claims like a parrot.

I agree, that the FSA is not democratically elected, but rebels seldom are.

If I were you, I would not cite "internation law" as you haven't shown much expertise in this matter...

You are making false claims without proof over and over again. Perhaps, because as I have shown, you don't know the words you are actually using.

So if you want to convince me, that the FSA is a terrorist group, you have to provide evidence (something that furnishes proof according to Merriam Webster) instead of repeating claims like a parrot.

I agree, that the FSA is not democratically elected, but rebels seldom are.

If I were you, I would not cite "internation law" as you haven't shown much expertise in this matter...

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 74

Dear Alan S,

Thanks for agreeing theFSA has no legal legitimation.
And for recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons, which is illegal. Moreover the are responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians.
Having no legal basis, no democratically elected and murdering people : they are terrorist.

So, the question is : what can be done to stop the FSA terrorist group in Syria?

Happy to know you don't support  an illegal and criminal Frowngroup as the FSA is

Dear Alan S,

Thanks for agreeing theFSA has no legal legitimation.
And for recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons, which is illegal. Moreover the are responsible of the kiling of many Syrian civilians.
Having no legal basis, no democratically elected and murdering people : they are terrorist.

So, the question is : what can be done to stop the FSA terrorist group in Syria?

Happy to know you don't support  an illegal and criminal Frowngroup as the FSA is

Juan D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 75

You constantly lie about my position. I never said, the FSA has no legal legitimation. Not every legitimation comes from an election.

How the heck is having weapons illegal? I own weapons, am I illegal? You clearly know nothing about those things you write and you don't even know the simple meaning of words like terrorist.

I do support the Free Syrian Army in their struggle against the Assad regime.

You constantly lie about my position. I never said, the FSA has no legal legitimation. Not every legitimation comes from an election.

How the heck is having weapons illegal? I own weapons, am I illegal? You clearly know nothing about those things you write and you don't even know the simple meaning of words like terrorist.

I do support the Free Syrian Army in their struggle against the Assad regime.

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 76

Dear Alan S,

As you fully recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons without authorization, who are used to kill many Syrian civilians, and the FSA create an atmosphere of terror since they started their killings. : this is illegal, and you agree on that.

But for any unknown reason, you refuse to face the truth.

I can someone support a terrorist group as the FSA, which responsible of the massive killings of Syrian people? Frown

Dear Alan S,

As you fully recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons without authorization, who are used to kill many Syrian civilians, and the FSA create an atmosphere of terror since they started their killings. : this is illegal, and you agree on that.

But for any unknown reason, you refuse to face the truth.

I can someone support a terrorist group as the FSA, which responsible of the massive killings of Syrian people? Frown

Juan D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 77

Again you lie, I never said, that the FSA has weapons without authorization. I never said they started the killings nor did I say something aoubt the legality of the killings.

You are lying all the times and therefore a liar. This is not a insult, just a statement of facts.

Again, the FSA is no terrorist group but has the right to overthrow the Assad regime.

Again you lie, I never said, that the FSA has weapons without authorization. I never said they started the killings nor did I say something aoubt the legality of the killings.

You are lying all the times and therefore a liar. This is not a insult, just a statement of facts.

Again, the FSA is no terrorist group but has the right to overthrow the Assad regime.

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 78

Dear Alan,

Those are facts.

If you decide to be a negationist of those fact, ok. But in that case, I think this is not the right place for you here, sorry...

Dear Alan,

Those are facts.

If you decide to be a negationist of those fact, ok. But in that case, I think this is not the right place for you here, sorry...

Juan D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 79

Facts? You are talking about facts? In all our "discussions", you hardly ever have written something factual.

But you are not only inventing new "facts" you are also creating new words! "negationist" that's a new one, at least a point for trying...

Again, I could write a huge list of those things you failed to do, but it would be an utterly waste of my time (as my discussion with you probably is anyway).

Facts? You are talking about facts? In all our "discussions", you hardly ever have written something factual.

But you are not only inventing new "facts" you are also creating new words! "negationist" that's a new one, at least a point for trying...

Again, I could write a huge list of those things you failed to do, but it would be an utterly waste of my time (as my discussion with you probably is anyway).

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 80

Facts?

You are making progress in recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons they use to kill many Syrian civilians, creating an atmosphere of terror since they started their killings : it's a fact (as : the water is humid, the fire burns, the sun shines...)

FSA is an illegal organization commiting crimes, and you agree on that.

FSA group has no legal basis, no democratically elected and murdering people: it's another fact

For those reasons, the FSA is a terrorist group.

I still wonder : how can a person still support a terrorist group as the FSA is, which responsible of the massive killings of Syrian people, and publish it on this democratic website? Frown

Facts?

You are making progress in recognizing the truth : the FSA have weapons they use to kill many Syrian civilians, creating an atmosphere of terror since they started their killings : it's a fact (as : the water is humid, the fire burns, the sun shines...)

FSA is an illegal organization commiting crimes, and you agree on that.

FSA group has no legal basis, no democratically elected and murdering people: it's another fact

For those reasons, the FSA is a terrorist group.

I still wonder : how can a person still support a terrorist group as the FSA is, which responsible of the massive killings of Syrian people, and publish it on this democratic website? Frown

Juan D, Jun 1, 2013 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 81

Facts? You don't even know the meaning of that word. You would support Hitler, just because he came into power by legal means. And you would call those trying to fight and kill him terrorists. You live in a crazy world, far detached from reality.

Facts? You don't even know the meaning of that word. You would support Hitler, just because he came into power by legal means. And you would call those trying to fight and kill him terrorists. You live in a crazy world, far detached from reality.

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 82

As others have said, you are either just trolling and if you are real, and I hope not, you are not worth my time.

Sadly, there is no ignore function, but consider yourself ignored.

As others have said, you are either just trolling and if you are real, and I hope not, you are not worth my time.

Sadly, there is no ignore function, but consider yourself ignored.

Alan S, Jun 1, 2013 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 83

Jun 1, 13 22:15

Strange reaction from yours....

It seems that when someone has a different opinion from yours, you start to insult people... And for a strange reason, you start making false assumptions which are not related to the topic of this thread: you start imagining the other persons support this big criminal that is Hitler... you must defenitely be in lack of arguments...

I think you must be a bit more polite when you refer to people, and stop insulting them in public. You  could have done that in private, for respect of other users here.

Sad you are in this forum, we don't need unpolite people like you

Strange reaction from yours....

It seems that when someone has a different opinion from yours, you start to insult people... And for a strange reason, you start making false assumptions which are not related to the topic of this thread: you start imagining the other persons support this big criminal that is Hitler... you must defenitely be in lack of arguments...

I think you must be a bit more polite when you refer to people, and stop insulting them in public. You  could have done that in private, for respect of other users here.

Sad you are in this forum, we don't need unpolite people like you

Juan D, Jun 2, 2013 @ 03:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 84

May 31, 13 08:07

I have heard of an asian nation, well i do not know which one but its from asian side.

I have heard of an asian nation, well i do not know which one but its from asian side.

hassel lee, Jun 3, 2013 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 85

The countries belonging to the NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of the State of Syria. NATO has machiavelic and illegal plans to invade Syria, which would be a gross  violation of international law.

Therfore NATO must also stop its declarations supporting the FSA terrorist and criminal group, which is reponsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians.

The countries belonging to the NATO, as well as other countries, must respect fully the sovereignty of the State of Syria. NATO has machiavelic and illegal plans to invade Syria, which would be a gross  violation of international law.

Therfore NATO must also stop its declarations supporting the FSA terrorist and criminal group, which is reponsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians.

Juan D, Jun 3, 2013 @ 09:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 86

I think its confirmed i guess pakistan is sending army to help NATO forces in Syria so it means they are sending army in Afganistan and they can also help NATO in Syria.

I think its confirmed i guess pakistan is sending army to help NATO forces in Syria so it means they are sending army in Afganistan and they can also help NATO in Syria.

hassel lee, Jun 4, 2013 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 87

So, that means now NATO must also stop supporting in any way the FSA terrorist and criminal group, which is reponsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians. NATO must respect fully the sovereignty of the State of Syria. NATO has machiavelic and illegal plans to invade Syria, which would be a gross  violation of international law.

So, that means now NATO must also stop supporting in any way the FSA terrorist and criminal group, which is reponsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians. NATO must respect fully the sovereignty of the State of Syria. NATO has machiavelic and illegal plans to invade Syria, which would be a gross  violation of international law.

Juan D, Jun 4, 2013 @ 14:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 88

Jun 4, 13 14:26

Yes you are right but every time when UNO try to take an action some internal forces stop them which is the biggest reason why NATO forces can do illegal actions easily.

Yes you are right but every time when UNO try to take an action some internal forces stop them which is the biggest reason why NATO forces can do illegal actions easily.

hassel lee, Jun 5, 2013 @ 09:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 89

NATO forces are violating international law and where the hell is UNO. I do not even heard a single statement from UNO. UNO is biased organization and we do not need this kind of organiztion who cannot protect human lives.

NATO forces are violating international law and where the hell is UNO. I do not even heard a single statement from UNO. UNO is biased organization and we do not need this kind of organiztion who cannot protect human lives.

hassel lee, Jun 5, 2013 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 90

Jun 5, 13 09:27

A) In regard to Syria, what international law are NATO forces violating?

B) The UN is not an organiztion (sic) to protect human lives. So why should we dissolve the UN because it is not doing its job which it was not meant to do in the first place.

C) There has been many reports from the UN concerning Syria, so I don't see why you are complaining. You want reports every minute?

B) The UN is not an organiztion (sic) to protect human lives. So why should we dissolve the UN because it is not doing its job which it was not meant to do in the first place.

C) There has been many reports from the UN concerning Syria, so I don't see why you are complaining. You want reports every minute?

Alan S, Jun 5, 2013 @ 09:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 91

Jun 5, 13 09:23

I totally agree with you. NATO violates fully the international law most basic principles of the sovereignty of States, when NATO support terrorists groups as the FSA.

I totally agree with you. NATO violates fully the international law most basic principles of the sovereignty of States, when NATO support terrorists groups as the FSA.

Juan D, Jun 5, 2013 @ 13:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 92

Jun 5, 13 09:47

sir then show me the report of UNO and nore important thing is to take actions not to make reports.

sir then show me the report of UNO and nore important thing is to take actions not to make reports.

hassel lee, Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 93

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoISyria/A.HRC.22.59_en.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/SY/ColSyriaDecember2012.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/en/countries/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoISyria/PeriodicUpdate11March2013_en.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/RegularSession/Session21/A-HRC-21-50_en.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/RegularSession/Session23/A-HRC-23-58_en.pdf

You want more reports? These are just some of those made in the last six months. If you want more, I ll bet, that I can find twenty more from the same time period.

"Take actions not to make reports". The UN is not a super-government, but an assembly of most of the countries. It has in itself very limited power, even if US-citizens in fear of their guns claim otherwise... So instead of asking the UN to take action, ask your own government to do so. You claim to come from the UK, which is a more powerful country than Switzerland. So the right way of action is to write your MP and tell him, what you want the UK to do in regards of Syria.

Again, the UN does not have a standing army nor can it send troops or even aid to any place without the OK and financing from its member states. So please, please, stop bitching about the UN when your own government is not willing to act itself. Thanks!

http://www.ohchr.org/en/countries/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoISyria/PeriodicUpdate11March2013_en.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/RegularSession/Session21/A-HRC-21-50_en.pdf

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/RegularSession/Session23/A-HRC-23-58_en.pdf

You want more reports? These are just some of those made in the last six months. If you want more, I ll bet, that I can find twenty more from the same time period.

"Take actions not to make reports". The UN is not a super-government, but an assembly of most of the countries. It has in itself very limited power, even if US-citizens in fear of their guns claim otherwise... So instead of asking the UN to take action, ask your own government to do so. You claim to come from the UK, which is a more powerful country than Switzerland. So the right way of action is to write your MP and tell him, what you want the UK to do in regards of Syria.

Again, the UN does not have a standing army nor can it send troops or even aid to any place without the OK and financing from its member states. So please, please, stop bitching about the UN when your own government is not willing to act itself. Thanks!

Alan S, Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 94

If I had an edit function, I would have changed "stop bitching about the UN when" to "stop crying about the inactivity of the UN as long as".

If I had an edit function, I would have changed "stop bitching about the UN when" to "stop crying about the inactivity of the UN as long as".

Alan S, Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 95

NATO, a group of western countries involved in the killing of many innocent civilians around the world, violates fully the international law most basic principles of the sovereignty of States. It's a gross violation of the international public law, when NATO support terrorists groups as the FSA, responsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians.

The UN has the power to allow countries to protect the Syrian population from the terrorist FSA group, as it did in the past in other countries. But as we know, mainly the US has interest in creating a destabilization, and not support the idea of helping Syrian citizen. It's well know that US is supporting a criminal government in the region, responsible of the killing of many Arabs.. . So, the UN has the power to stop FSA terrorism, but the US is against...

NATO, a group of western countries involved in the killing of many innocent civilians around the world, violates fully the international law most basic principles of the sovereignty of States. It's a gross violation of the international public law, when NATO support terrorists groups as the FSA, responsible of the killing of many Syrian civilians.

The UN has the power to allow countries to protect the Syrian population from the terrorist FSA group, as it did in the past in other countries. But as we know, mainly the US has interest in creating a destabilization, and not support the idea of helping Syrian citizen. It's well know that US is supporting a criminal government in the region, responsible of the killing of many Arabs.. . So, the UN has the power to stop FSA terrorism, but the US is against...

Juan D, Jun 7, 2013 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 96

Jun 7, 13 12:33

Sir i have tried few things as i have discussed with my friends to write a letter to our MP but they said we have done it before for other issues and they never take it seriously, not even a single response form their side. Now you can understand that we have nothing in our hands.

Sir i have tried few things as i have discussed with my friends to write a letter to our MP but they said we have done it before for other issues and they never take it seriously, not even a single response form their side. Now you can understand that we have nothing in our hands.

hassel lee, Jun 11, 2013 @ 09:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 97

What is your goverment or country is doing to help Syrian refugees?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/05/28/UNEDITED-Sen-Cruz-Speaks-of-the-Compassion-of-Israeli-Military-towards-Syrians

What is your goverment or country is doing to help Syrian refugees?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/05/28/UNEDITED-Sen-Cruz-Speaks-of-the-Compassion-of-Israeli-Military-towards-Syrians

Ron D, May 31, 2014 @ 10:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 98

When Israel wages war on Palestinians, we speak out. But they are dying, right now, at the hands of an Arab regime.

The Palestinians of Yarmouk and the shameful silence when Israel is not to blame

Palestinian refugees are being starved, bombed and gunned down like animals. “If you want to feed your children, you need to take your funeral shroud with you,” one told Israeli news website Ynet. “There are snipers on every street, you are not safe anywhere.” This isn’t happening, however, in southern Lebanon, or even Gaza. And these particular Palestinians aren’t being killed or maimed by Israeli bombs and bullets. This is Yarmouk, a refugee campon the edge of Damascus, just a few miles from the palace of Bashar al-Assad. Since 1 April, the camp has been overrun by Islamic State militants, who have begun a reign of terror: detentions, shootings, beheadings and the rest. Hundreds of refugees are believed to have been killed in what Ban Ki-moon has called the “deepest circle of hell”.

But this isn’t just about the depravity of Isis. The Palestinians of Yarmouk have been bombarded and besieged by Assad’s security forces since 2012. Water and electricity were cut off long ago, and of the 160,000 Palestinian refugees who once lived in the camp only 18,000 now remain. The Syrian regime has, according to Amnesty International, been “committing war crimes by using starvation of civilians as a weapon”, forcing residents to “resort to eating cats and dogs”. Even as the throat-slitters took control, Assad’s pilots were continuing to drop barrel bombs on the refugees. “The sky of Yarmouk has barrel bombs instead of stars,” said Abdallah al-Khateeb, a political activist living inside the camp.

It is difficult to disagree with the verdict of the Palestinian League for Human Rights that the Palestinians of Syria are “the most untold story in the Syrian conflict”. There are 12 official Palestinian refugee camps in Syria, housing more than half a million people. Ninety per cent, estimates the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (Unrwa), are in continuous need of humanitarian aid. In Yarmouk, throughout 2014, residents were forced to live on around 400 calories of food aid a day – fewer than a fifth of the UN’s recommended daily amount of 2,100 calories for civilians in war zones – because UNRWA aid workers had only limited access to the camp. Today, they have zero access.“To know what it is like in Yarmouk,” one of the camp’s residents is quoted as saying on the UNRWA website, “turn off your electricity, water, heating, eat once a day, live in the dark.”

Their plight should matter to us all – regardless of whether their persecutors happen to be Israelis, Syrians, Egyptians or, for that matter, fellow Palestinians (Palestinian Authority security forces, after all, have been shooting and beating unarmed Palestinian protesters for several years now).

This is far from a cynical exercise in pro-Israeli whataboutery. There are very good reasons that Israel attracts such widespread criticism and condemnation in the west. Israel is our ally and claims to be a liberal democracy, unlike both Assad and Isis. Israel is also armed, funded and protected from UN censure by the US government; again, unlike both Assad and Isis.

Those who try to use the tragedy of Yarmouk to excuse or downplay Israel’s 48-year occupation of Palestine should be ashamed of themselves. But what of the rest of us? Can we afford to stay in our deep slumber, occasionally awakening to lavishly condemn only Israel? Let’s be honest: how different, how vocal and passionate, would our reaction be if the people besieging Yarmouk were wearing the uniforms of the IDF?

Our selective outrage is morally unsustainable. Many of us who have raised our voices in support of the Palestinian cause have inexcusably turned a blind eye to the fact that tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed by fellow Arabs in recent decades: by the Jordanian military in the Black September conflicts of the early 1970s; by Lebanese militias in the civil war of the mid-1980s; by Kuwaiti vigilantes after the first Gulf war, in the early 1990s. Egypt, the so-called “heart of the Arab world”, has colluded with Israel in the latter’s eight-year blockade of Gaza.

Meanwhile, the Palestinians of Yarmouk are living in catastrophic conditions, their lives “profoundly threatened”, in the words of the United Nations. So what, if anything, can be done? The usual coalition of neoconservative hawks and so-called liberal interventionists in the west want to bomb first and ask questions later, while the rest of us resort to a collective shrug: a mixture of indifference and despair. Few are willing to make the tough and unpopular case for a negotiated solution to the Syrian conflict or, at least, a truce and a ceasefire, a temporary cessation of hostilities. Yet there is an urgent need for a “pause” in the fighting in order to ensure “humanitarian access” to Yarmouk, says Chris Gunness, senior director of UNRWA, who has described the camp as a hellhole.

UNRWA, he tells me, is “calling on those who can influence the parties on the ground to make that influence effective”, adding: “Everyone in the Middle East can be influenced, everyone is sponsored.” Gunness points out that almost 100 civilians, including 20 children, were evacuated from the camp on 5 April so there is no reason why more of Yarmouk’s residents can’t be escorted to safety.

We have also failed to put our money where our collective mouth is. The UN’s $415m appeal for Palestinian refugees in Syria is only 20% funded, a situation Gunness calls “disastrous”. Isn’t it a scandal that there’s always spare cash for bombing campaigns yet never enough for emergency aid? The Palestinians of Yarmouk, like the Palestinians of Gaza during the summer of 2014, need our support, both political and financial.

Now is the time for those of us who claim to care about the Palestinian people, and their struggle for dignity, justice and nationhood, to make our voices heard. Some 3,500 of the 18,000 Palestinians in Yarmouk are children. As Gunness says, his voice trembling with emotion: “We are potentially witnessing a slaughter of the innocents. What is the world going to do?”

When Israel wages war on Palestinians, we speak out. But they are dying, right now, at the hands of an Arab regime.

The Palestinians of Yarmouk and the shameful silence when Israel is not to blame

Palestinian refugees are being starved, bombed and gunned down like animals. “If you want to feed your children, you need to take your funeral shroud with you,” one told Israeli news website Ynet. “There are snipers on every street, you are not safe anywhere.” This isn’t happening, however, in southern Lebanon, or even Gaza. And these particular Palestinians aren’t being killed or maimed by Israeli bombs and bullets. This is Yarmouk, a refugee campon the edge of Damascus, just a few miles from the palace of Bashar al-Assad. Since 1 April, the camp has been overrun by Islamic State militants, who have begun a reign of terror: detentions, shootings, beheadings and the rest. Hundreds of refugees are believed to have been killed in what Ban Ki-moon has called the “deepest circle of hell”.

But this isn’t just about the depravity of Isis. The Palestinians of Yarmouk have been bombarded and besieged by Assad’s security forces since 2012. Water and electricity were cut off long ago, and of the 160,000 Palestinian refugees who once lived in the camp only 18,000 now remain. The Syrian regime has, according to Amnesty International, been “committing war crimes by using starvation of civilians as a weapon”, forcing residents to “resort to eating cats and dogs”. Even as the throat-slitters took control, Assad’s pilots were continuing to drop barrel bombs on the refugees. “The sky of Yarmouk has barrel bombs instead of stars,” said Abdallah al-Khateeb, a political activist living inside the camp.

It is difficult to disagree with the verdict of the Palestinian League for Human Rights that the Palestinians of Syria are “the most untold story in the Syrian conflict”. There are 12 official Palestinian refugee camps in Syria, housing more than half a million people. Ninety per cent, estimates the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (Unrwa), are in continuous need of humanitarian aid. In Yarmouk, throughout 2014, residents were forced to live on around 400 calories of food aid a day – fewer than a fifth of the UN’s recommended daily amount of 2,100 calories for civilians in war zones – because UNRWA aid workers had only limited access to the camp. Today, they have zero access.“To know what it is like in Yarmouk,” one of the camp’s residents is quoted as saying on the UNRWA website, “turn off your electricity, water, heating, eat once a day, live in the dark.”

Their plight should matter to us all – regardless of whether their persecutors happen to be Israelis, Syrians, Egyptians or, for that matter, fellow Palestinians (Palestinian Authority security forces, after all, have been shooting and beating unarmed Palestinian protesters for several years now).

This is far from a cynical exercise in pro-Israeli whataboutery. There are very good reasons that Israel attracts such widespread criticism and condemnation in the west. Israel is our ally and claims to be a liberal democracy, unlike both Assad and Isis. Israel is also armed, funded and protected from UN censure by the US government; again, unlike both Assad and Isis.

Those who try to use the tragedy of Yarmouk to excuse or downplay Israel’s 48-year occupation of Palestine should be ashamed of themselves. But what of the rest of us? Can we afford to stay in our deep slumber, occasionally awakening to lavishly condemn only Israel? Let’s be honest: how different, how vocal and passionate, would our reaction be if the people besieging Yarmouk were wearing the uniforms of the IDF?

Our selective outrage is morally unsustainable. Many of us who have raised our voices in support of the Palestinian cause have inexcusably turned a blind eye to the fact that tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed by fellow Arabs in recent decades: by the Jordanian military in the Black September conflicts of the early 1970s; by Lebanese militias in the civil war of the mid-1980s; by Kuwaiti vigilantes after the first Gulf war, in the early 1990s. Egypt, the so-called “heart of the Arab world”, has colluded with Israel in the latter’s eight-year blockade of Gaza.

Meanwhile, the Palestinians of Yarmouk are living in catastrophic conditions, their lives “profoundly threatened”, in the words of the United Nations. So what, if anything, can be done? The usual coalition of neoconservative hawks and so-called liberal interventionists in the west want to bomb first and ask questions later, while the rest of us resort to a collective shrug: a mixture of indifference and despair. Few are willing to make the tough and unpopular case for a negotiated solution to the Syrian conflict or, at least, a truce and a ceasefire, a temporary cessation of hostilities. Yet there is an urgent need for a “pause” in the fighting in order to ensure “humanitarian access” to Yarmouk, says Chris Gunness, senior director of UNRWA, who has described the camp as a hellhole.

UNRWA, he tells me, is “calling on those who can influence the parties on the ground to make that influence effective”, adding: “Everyone in the Middle East can be influenced, everyone is sponsored.” Gunness points out that almost 100 civilians, including 20 children, were evacuated from the camp on 5 April so there is no reason why more of Yarmouk’s residents can’t be escorted to safety.

We have also failed to put our money where our collective mouth is. The UN’s $415m appeal for Palestinian refugees in Syria is only 20% funded, a situation Gunness calls “disastrous”. Isn’t it a scandal that there’s always spare cash for bombing campaigns yet never enough for emergency aid? The Palestinians of Yarmouk, like the Palestinians of Gaza during the summer of 2014, need our support, both political and financial.

Now is the time for those of us who claim to care about the Palestinian people, and their struggle for dignity, justice and nationhood, to make our voices heard. Some 3,500 of the 18,000 Palestinians in Yarmouk are children. As Gunness says, his voice trembling with emotion: “We are potentially witnessing a slaughter of the innocents. What is the world going to do?”

smile2sandro, Apr 13, 2015 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 99

Picture of the flotila with support goods for the poor Palestinians in Syria, lead by Turkey.

Picture of the flotila with support goods for the poor Palestinians in Syria, lead by Turkey.

smile2sandro, Apr 13, 2015 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 100

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/suisse/story/29700971 

I can only hope that their families will join them and they all die there!

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/suisse/story/29700971 

I can only hope that their families will join them and they all die there!

Ron D, Aug 23, 2015 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 101

Oh look what news just dropped....

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/wikileaks-confirms-hillary-sold-weapons-isis-drops-another-bombshell-breaking-news/

Oh look what news just dropped....

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/wikileaks-confirms-hillary-sold-weapons-isis-drops-another-bombshell-breaking-news/

smile2sandro, Aug 8, 2016 @ 17:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
101 Replies | 3507 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form