Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Politics & Current Affairs > The Story of Seeds - Seeds of Freedom

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Story of Seeds - Seeds of Freedom

I came acrosss this amazing video today outlining the true costs of commercial seed ownership by giant Corporations like Monsanto and I felt that I just had to share it here on glocals.  The film reveals some very interesting facts from around the world and certainly opened my eyes to the increasing grasp of compalnies like Monsanto who have their eyes on controlling the world's food supply.  The power of the Corporations was highlighted by the fight of one Canadian farmer who after producing his own seeds for many years got into problems when a a neighbour started using GM seeds and as a result of the usual movement of winds, bees etc his own seeds 'gained' a part of the Monsanto patented gene structure.  He was subsequently accused in the Courts of 'seed piracy' and using a Monsanto product even though he proved that he had never purchased a single Monsanto seed in his life.  How could this happen you may ask?  Well, this all came about because of a change in the patent law in 1995 when, under pressure from big Corporations, the WTO ruled that a micro-organism and micro biological process already existing in nature could be patented. This meant effectively that a seed could be genetically engineered to contain particular genes which could then be patented and the seed privately owned.  A year later Monsanto launched RoundUp ready Soya in America, closely followed by GM Corn and Cornola.  All the seeds had been specifically modified, genetically, to have a single novel trait, the ability to resist the toxic effects of herbicidal chemical RoundUp, Monsanto's number one chemical. Thus the company now controlled both the seed and the chemical used during it's production cycle as a commercial food crop.  The commercial foresight of companies such as Monsanto and others is amazing but it is only now, almost 25 years later, that the reality of this WTO ruling is coming into the spot light as it is very apparent that when you control the seed you then control the profit from food !  Is this why food prices have rocketed to where they are today?  Please watch this well narrated film and post your thoughts on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-bK8X2s1kI

The text you are quoting:

I came acrosss this amazing video today outlining the true costs of commercial seed ownership by giant Corporations like Monsanto and I felt that I just had to share it here on glocals.  The film reveals some very interesting facts from around the world and certainly opened my eyes to the increasing grasp of compalnies like Monsanto who have their eyes on controlling the world's food supply.  The power of the Corporations was highlighted by the fight of one Canadian farmer who after producing his own seeds for many years got into problems when a a neighbour started using GM seeds and as a result of the usual movement of winds, bees etc his own seeds 'gained' a part of the Monsanto patented gene structure.  He was subsequently accused in the Courts of 'seed piracy' and using a Monsanto product even though he proved that he had never purchased a single Monsanto seed in his life.  How could this happen you may ask?  Well, this all came about because of a change in the patent law in 1995 when, under pressure from big Corporations, the WTO ruled that a micro-organism and micro biological process already existing in nature could be patented. This meant effectively that a seed could be genetically engineered to contain particular genes which could then be patented and the seed privately owned.  A year later Monsanto launched RoundUp ready Soya in America, closely followed by GM Corn and Cornola.  All the seeds had been specifically modified, genetically, to have a single novel trait, the ability to resist the toxic effects of herbicidal chemical RoundUp, Monsanto's number one chemical. Thus the company now controlled both the seed and the chemical used during it's production cycle as a commercial food crop.  The commercial foresight of companies such as Monsanto and others is amazing but it is only now, almost 25 years later, that the reality of this WTO ruling is coming into the spot light as it is very apparent that when you control the seed you then control the profit from food !  Is this why food prices have rocketed to where they are today?  Please watch this well narrated film and post your thoughts on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-bK8X2s1kI

Kevin KApr 17, 2014 @ 09:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1431 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Story of Seeds - Seeds of Freedom
Post 1

More information can be found here along with the film in other languages including French, Portugeuse, Romanian and Spanish:

http://www.seedsoffreedom.info/take-action/download/

More information can be found here along with the film in other languages including French, Portugeuse, Romanian and Spanish:

http://www.seedsoffreedom.info/take-action/download/

Kevin K, Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: The Story of Seeds - Seeds of Freedom
Post 2

Found this link on the same subject on a Swiss website where they were discussing an ongoing patent row over Pepper seeds.  Does no one have any views on this?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/science_technology/Pepper_patent_row_heats_up_.html?cid=38373242

Found this link on the same subject on a Swiss website where they were discussing an ongoing patent row over Pepper seeds.  Does no one have any views on this?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/science_technology/Pepper_patent_row_heats_up_.html?cid=38373242

Kevin K, Apr 19, 2014 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1431 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form