Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Cycling Trip Advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cycling Trip Advice

H there all!

My girlfriend and I want to do a day trip and take a train/bus/teleferik up a mountain and cycle down with an amazing view. Maybe stop and have a picnic etc on the way up and down etc. 

We don't mind taking a train back to Geneva for example if it's a little further out etc.  For example go to Villars, ride it down and take the train from Montreux back to Geneva.

Has anyone done something like this? Or can anyone recomend a mountain or route?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

The text you are quoting:

H there all!

My girlfriend and I want to do a day trip and take a train/bus/teleferik up a mountain and cycle down with an amazing view. Maybe stop and have a picnic etc on the way up and down etc. 

We don't mind taking a train back to Geneva for example if it's a little further out etc.  For example go to Villars, ride it down and take the train from Montreux back to Geneva.

Has anyone done something like this? Or can anyone recomend a mountain or route?

Kerim KAug 26, 2015 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 862 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cycling Trip Advice
Post 1

H there all!

Aug 26, 15 19:07

We were up in the Portes du Soleil [in France] during the week and saw hundreds of mountain-bikers hurtling down the mountains. For a fee of €9.00 you can buy a Multi Pass [although you may have to pay a little more with a bike] and go up and down as many times as you wish.

However, you would have to find out how to arrive at Chatel or Praz de Joux where they start off and from Geneva it might be a little difficult. However, from what we could see, everyone on the trails was having a superb time!

We were up in the Portes du Soleil [in France] during the week and saw hundreds of mountain-bikers hurtling down the mountains. For a fee of €9.00 you can buy a Multi Pass [although you may have to pay a little more with a bike] and go up and down as many times as you wish.

However, you would have to find out how to arrive at Chatel or Praz de Joux where they start off and from Geneva it might be a little difficult. However, from what we could see, everyone on the trails was having a superb time!

sheila c, Aug 30, 2015 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Shella,

Thanks Shella, I think we can give this a shot next time.

For those interested, we ended up going up to Betaye by train (Bex-Villars-Bretaye) and then cycled down hill to Villars --> Aigle --> Montreux. It's 37k but for a good part downhill.

We also did a wrong turn and ended up on the Maxi Avalanche route for proper Mountain Bikes. Which made it hard as we were on normal road bikes.

But all in all had an amazing time and the view is phenominal. - Will post the timelapse video we took with a GO Pro camera probably on Instragram in the next few days. Check out Zeynepcelenyoga for this.

But next time I think the mountain bikes will be our choice of bikes :)

Hi Shella,

Thanks Shella, I think we can give this a shot next time.

For those interested, we ended up going up to Betaye by train (Bex-Villars-Bretaye) and then cycled down hill to Villars --> Aigle --> Montreux. It's 37k but for a good part downhill.

We also did a wrong turn and ended up on the Maxi Avalanche route for proper Mountain Bikes. Which made it hard as we were on normal road bikes.

But all in all had an amazing time and the view is phenominal. - Will post the timelapse video we took with a GO Pro camera probably on Instragram in the next few days. Check out Zeynepcelenyoga for this.

But next time I think the mountain bikes will be our choice of bikes :)

Kerim K, Aug 30, 2015 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Try Leysin too.  :o)  JT.

Try Leysin too.  :o)  JT.

JulianT, Aug 31, 2015 @ 15:45