Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Alpes Montgolfiere Megeve

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Alpes Montgolfiere Megeve

Just returned after a fantastic, unforgettable experience up in a hot-air balloon. Voucher was given to us by our family for a "round" birthday. Superb views of Mont Blanc and although this is not in CH, it is not far away, so makes a wonderful day out.

Only downside is Megeve is HORRENDOUSLY expensive - cup of coffee €4.90 is the norm! Haven't even paid that on the B'hofstrasse Züri or in Zermatt!

The text you are quoting:

Just returned after a fantastic, unforgettable experience up in a hot-air balloon. Voucher was given to us by our family for a "round" birthday. Superb views of Mont Blanc and although this is not in CH, it is not far away, so makes a wonderful day out.

Only downside is Megeve is HORRENDOUSLY expensive - cup of coffee €4.90 is the norm! Haven't even paid that on the B'hofstrasse Züri or in Zermatt!

sheila cSep 4, 2014 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1330 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Alpes Montgolfiere Megeve
Post 1

Might it be a deliberate policy to discourage certain tourists?

Ritchie, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sep 4, 14 13:33

Don't think so Ritchie

If the "certain tourists" are those I think you might mean, they are there in droves!

Don't think so Ritchie

If the "certain tourists" are those I think you might mean, they are there in droves!

sheila c, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That's what you get for drinking coffee.  Do as the French do and bring your pic-nic, or if you really want to eat somewhere, go out of the Megeve area.  But Megeve is a really nice place I have to say...just not for eating, unless you don't mind throwing ridiculous amounts of money away on cheese and coffee.. like here in Switzerland.  They catter to Swiss clientele who still think that prices in France are cheaper than in Switzerland.... or who tend to dress up their Chihuahua dogs with fur coats.  Well, you get the idea.

That's what you get for drinking coffee.  Do as the French do and bring your pic-nic, or if you really want to eat somewhere, go out of the Megeve area.  But Megeve is a really nice place I have to say...just not for eating, unless you don't mind throwing ridiculous amounts of money away on cheese and coffee.. like here in Switzerland.  They catter to Swiss clientele who still think that prices in France are cheaper than in Switzerland.... or who tend to dress up their Chihuahua dogs with fur coats.  Well, you get the idea.

Jean-Jacques B, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

So if they’re drinking lots of coffee, the price hike doesn’t work.

Still, it’s good to read that France isn’t always cheaper than CH.   I might even consider Zrh for my winter break.

So if they’re drinking lots of coffee, the price hike doesn’t work.

Still, it’s good to read that France isn’t always cheaper than CH.   I might even consider Zrh for my winter break.

Ritchie, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Ritchie is correct, actually.  

The resort is more or less "owned" by the Rothschild family and they definitely don't want the British there - especially in winter, which is why you'll not find any of the big UK ski tour operators there.

I love the place and if it's the reserve of "rich and famous", I'd gladly pay 4.90 for a coffee (which incidentially is about what you'd pay in Starbucks for a cup of crap and no view!) to keep out hoi polloi, dahling! Cool

Ritchie is correct, actually.  

The resort is more or less "owned" by the Rothschild family and they definitely don't want the British there - especially in winter, which is why you'll not find any of the big UK ski tour operators there.

I love the place and if it's the reserve of "rich and famous", I'd gladly pay 4.90 for a coffee (which incidentially is about what you'd pay in Starbucks for a cup of crap and no view!) to keep out hoi polloi, dahling! Cool

Carolyn C, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Set foot in Starbucks ?

Never on your nelly.

Set foot in Starbucks ?

Never on your nelly.

Ritchie, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Set foot in Starbucks ?

Never on your nelly.

Sep 4, 14 14:33

Well horror or horrors! Because of the above outrageous prices, we actually for the first time in our lengthy lives, set foot in McD's for 2 x hot chocolate, which turned out to be two for the price of one further up the road. Hope nobody saw us!

Well horror or horrors! Because of the above outrageous prices, we actually for the first time in our lengthy lives, set foot in McD's for 2 x hot chocolate, which turned out to be two for the price of one further up the road. Hope nobody saw us!

sheila c, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Haha!!  You made me laugh, Sheila.  

However, that's why they had to put the Macdonalds out of the centre - the Rothchilds didn't want it anywhere near the village.

So they wouldn't have to see hoi polloi getting their 2 for 1!!

However, that's why they had to put the Macdonalds out of the centre - the Rothchilds didn't want it anywhere near the village.

Carolyn C, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 4, 14 14:58

'eha, who youse callin' hoi polloi?Tongue Out

'eha, who youse callin' hoi polloi?Tongue Out

sheila c, Sep 4, 2014 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1330 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form