Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Any experiences of Roma needed

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Any experiences of Roma needed
Hi Everybody,

I will travel to Roma at the end of August. I post this new topic in case one of you made any nice travel experiences he could share with me...a kind of insider tips.

Cheers

Xavier

The text you are quoting:
Hi Everybody,

I will travel to Roma at the end of August. I post this new topic in case one of you made any nice travel experiences he could share with me...a kind of insider tips.

Cheers

Xavier
Walrus74Jul 14, 2009 @ 11:05

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1476 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Any experiences of Roma needed
Post 1

...pocket a lot of euros, prices tend to be on the steep side and plenty of small notes as they tend to lack change :P don't count too much on those credit-card terminals in cheaper places, flu or some kind of other techno-illness often prevents usage...

There are two Romas, the cultured chic one and the one for visiting tourists. You can still do it "Dolce Vita" style: rent a scoot and get lost in the streets. Forget helmets, the time you will spend talking it over with carabinieri is worth it's weight of pasta. It's way too hot anyway...

Mandatory: sunglasses, or you are nobody

Generally only one address for the evening: Trastevere! that's where it happens

hotels: if you haven't already booked, hurry!

Transportation: public or private, it's a concept there, not necessarily a reality (hence the scoot)

Enjoy, it's a wonderful place :cool:

...pocket a lot of euros, prices tend to be on the steep side and plenty of small notes as they tend to lack change :P don't count too much on those credit-card terminals in cheaper places, flu or some kind of other techno-illness often prevents usage...

There are two Romas, the cultured chic one and the one for visiting tourists. You can still do it "Dolce Vita" style: rent a scoot and get lost in the streets. Forget helmets, the time you will spend talking it over with carabinieri is worth it's weight of pasta. It's way too hot anyway...

Mandatory: sunglasses, or you are nobody

Transportation: public or private, it's a concept there, not necessarily a reality (hence the scoot)

Enjoy, it's a wonderful place :cool:

swisskiss, Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Swisskiss:

I love your advice and your writing style...(-: I especially like the "get sunglasses, or you're nobody"...:)

Swisskiss:

I love your advice and your writing style...(-: I especially like the "get sunglasses, or you're nobody"...:)
Nir Ofek, Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:35

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
[quote]

rent a scoot and get lost in the streets.

[/quote]

Transportation: my advice, in case you are not planning to do a lot of kilometers, is to rent a bicycle.

Hotel: when I visited Rome I slept in a small hotel in Trastevere. The hotel was ok, and since they have my email address I keep receiving their last offers. In case you are interested, I paste here their last piece of "spam":

Are you looking for an interesting offer for your summer holidays?

Would you like to visit Rome at reasonable prices?

Here is an incredible deal that Hotel Carmel offers

for the month of August 2008!!

- Triple room with private bathroom: 100,00 € per night

- Double room with private bathroom: 75,00 € per night

- Double room with shared bathroom: 65,00 € per night

- Single room with private bathroom: 50,00 € per night

Hotel Carmel is located in a residential area in the heart of Trastevere, one of Rome's oldest, most fascinating neighborhoods, renowned for its restaurants and pulsing nightlife.

Hotel Carmel is well served by bus, trolley, train and taxi.

Hotel Carmel

Via Goffredo Mameli, 11

00153 Roma

Tel: +39 06 58 09 921

Fax: +39 06 58 18 853

e-mail: [email protected]

site: www.hotelcarmel.it
[quote]

rent a scoot and get lost in the streets.

[/quote]

Transportation: my advice, in case you are not planning to do a lot of kilometers, is to rent a bicycle.

Hotel: when I visited Rome I slept in a small hotel in Trastevere. The hotel was ok, and since they have my email address I keep receiving their last offers. In case you are interested, I paste here their last piece of "spam":

Are you looking for an interesting offer for your summer holidays?

Would you like to visit Rome at reasonable prices?

Here is an incredible deal that Hotel Carmel offers

for the month of August 2008!!

- Triple room with private bathroom: 100,00 € per night

- Double room with private bathroom: 75,00 € per night

- Double room with shared bathroom: 65,00 € per night

- Single room with private bathroom: 50,00 € per night

Hotel Carmel is located in a residential area in the heart of Trastevere, one of Rome's oldest, most fascinating neighborhoods, renowned for its restaurants and pulsing nightlife.

Hotel Carmel is well served by bus, trolley, train and taxi.

Hotel Carmel

Via Goffredo Mameli, 11

00153 Roma

Tel: +39 06 58 09 921

Fax: +39 06 58 18 853

e-mail: [email protected]

site: www.hotelcarmel.it
ur17, Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
the mcdonalds map is one of the best for getting around the tourist sites!

must do the vatican musseum.

and trevvy fountains at night!

the mcdonalds map is one of the best for getting around the tourist sites!

must do the vatican musseum.

and trevvy fountains at night!
peaky, Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:47

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
so...lot of things to say. i agree on the fact that you need some euros for my city...not so cheap.

but by the way you can also have meals at reasonable prices. like "sora margherita" in portico d'ottavia Jewish neighbor , or la montecarlo - vicolo savelli. those are 2 typical roman restaurant, to feel the roman taste. Then if you wish to have a different experience, you can go to very fashion-victim places but you're going to spend over 40 euros, if you're lucky.

then in tht season you are pretty lucky because the city is not overloaded as usual, loto of people still on vacation.

enjoy rome

Valeiro
so...lot of things to say. i agree on the fact that you need some euros for my city...not so cheap.

but by the way you can also have meals at reasonable prices. like "sora margherita" in portico d'ottavia Jewish neighbor , or la montecarlo - vicolo savelli. those are 2 typical roman restaurant, to feel the roman taste. Then if you wish to have a different experience, you can go to very fashion-victim places but you're going to spend over 40 euros, if you're lucky.

then in tht season you are pretty lucky because the city is not overloaded as usual, loto of people still on vacation.

enjoy rome

Valeiro
cifola, Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Well...

you've been advised a reasonably cheap hotel in Trastevere already!

That's a very good start. Trastevere, as somebody already said, is one of the most lively zones of the city, the other being the historic centre, just crossing the river.

The city is lovely. Forget transports: walk through it. That is not a place where you will have to move from a tourist spot to another: the whole old city is the most beautiful city in the world! Every corner will reveal a surprise if you look around, but you'd miss most of it if you don't walk.

Renting a bike is a good idea for visiting less central zones (like the parks along via nomentana or via salaria and a scooter is the best you can think of for a day trip along Via Appia (beware the Stendhal syndrome! ;) ) or down to Ostia or Fregene (on the sea).

Last but not leas, in English it is called Rome. Roma means Gypsies. Ciao
Well...

you've been advised a reasonably cheap hotel in Trastevere already!

That's a very good start. Trastevere, as somebody already said, is one of the most lively zones of the city, the other being the historic centre, just crossing the river.

The city is lovely. Forget transports: walk through it. That is not a place where you will have to move from a tourist spot to another: the whole old city is the most beautiful city in the world! Every corner will reveal a surprise if you look around, but you'd miss most of it if you don't walk.

Renting a bike is a good idea for visiting less central zones (like the parks along via nomentana or via salaria and a scooter is the best you can think of for a day trip along Via Appia (beware the Stendhal syndrome! ;) ) or down to Ostia or Fregene (on the sea).

Last but not leas, in English it is called Rome. Roma means Gypsies. Ciao
Stef__Granny, Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
... and I nearly forgot:

Here is the full programme of all the cultural initiatives.

It is supposed to be in English, but ... :-/

http://en.estateromana.comune.roma.it/

Enjoy!!!

:D
... and I nearly forgot:

Here is the full programme of all the cultural initiatives.

It is supposed to be in English, but ... :-/

http://en.estateromana.comune.roma.it/

Enjoy!!!

:D
Stef__Granny, Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Thanx a lot everybody...it helps a lot.
Fortunately I have already booked accomodation.
Sorry for Roma and not Rome but I am learning italian and sometimes I mix everything...or I should talk with hands like Italians :P
Thanx a lot everybody...it helps a lot.
Fortunately I have already booked accomodation.
Sorry for Roma and not Rome but I am learning italian and sometimes I mix everything...or I should talk with hands like Italians :P
Walrus74, Jul 14, 2009 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Hello Walrus

Rome is magic. My favorites are

The morning light

Vatican museums - unbelievable - a must!!

Ice cream at Giolitti

:cool:

Be prepared to walk a lot :-)

Enjoy!!!!!!

Petra
Hello Walrus

Rome is magic. My favorites are

The morning light

Vatican museums - unbelievable - a must!!

Ice cream at Giolitti

:cool:

Be prepared to walk a lot :-)

Enjoy!!!!!!

Petra
blink, Jul 15, 2009 @ 02:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Hi

if nightlife means anything to you, then I'd recommend these areas:

> Testaccio (trendy and pricy)

> San Lorenzo (more "underground", students' quarter)

Enjoy! :)

Patrizio

Hi

if nightlife means anything to you, then I'd recommend these areas:

> Testaccio (trendy and pricy)

> San Lorenzo (more "underground", students' quarter)

Enjoy! :)

Patrizio
Patrizio71, Jul 15, 2009 @ 03:02

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Hello!

nor Roman, but I lived there, so here are my 2 cents on Roman life...Enjoy!

Daniele

---------------

RESTAURANTS

GUSTO**** (not to be missed! You can choose from osteria/wine bar/pizzeria/restaurant/fish restaurant….my recommendation is for osteria, more typical but all are nice ...have a look at Gusto.it) – piazza Augusto Imperatore (near the Tevere, on left side of Piazza del Popolo) – Tel. 06 3226273  à book in advance!

TRATTORIA TRILUSSA*** (Historic trattoria in Trastevere) – Via del Politeama, 23-25 (Trastevere, in front of Piazza Trilussa, loooking at the fountain, get the road on the left and walk for 150 mt)  à book in advance!

IL BOCCONCINO** (typical nice trattoria: food is tasty, ver roman, no fixed menu...it depends on the day....but I love it as it was just downstair my place there and used to know the previous owner) – Via ostilia, 23 (100 mt from the colosseum) – Tel 06 77079175   --> maybe good for lunch 

BRUNCH (Sat or Sunday)

Obikà (mozzarella bar...if you love mozzarella and similar (treccia, burrata...), this is a paradise!) – Via dei Prefetti 28 (near Via del Corso) – Tel. 06 6832630  à be there early, between 12 and 1 max or book . there is a branch also in campo dei Fiori, too touristy however

APERITIF

Riccioli Caffé (fish-sushi and bubbles, it’s not really happy hour in the sense that you don’t get discount in this one or food for free)

(eventually you can decide to cross the street and have dinner in one of the Trattoria in Via delle Coppelle…)

One of the café in Campo dei Fiori (beside Piazza Farnese), nice setting, but very touristy....you can also have just a drink here at mid-afternoon

-----------

[--> For a romantic view, climb up the stairs on the right of Piazza del popolo (called Terrazze del Pincio) and walk until u reach the top of Trinità dei Monti  ---> ideal at sunset or even better at evening

CLUBS:

a)      LA MAISON (near Piazza Navona),  friday night only, on sat too young

b)      some of the numerous clubs in TESTACCIO , depending on the DJ performing...but usually this is a popular one: AKAB – via di Monte Testaccio 69 (3 rooms, with different music styl es)  

c)       ART CAFÉ – via del galoppatoio (near Piazza di Siena, c/o Villa Borghese)

More middle-age, trendy setting, hot chicks ;-)

d)      PIPER – historical club (30  &+  years old), always interesting concerts

e)       CIRCOLO DEGLI ARTISTI – via casilina vecchia 42 – www.circoloartisti.it (Great for avant-garde concerts) 

Hello!

nor Roman, but I lived there, so here are my 2 cents on Roman life...Enjoy!

Daniele

---------------

RESTAURANTS

GUSTO**** (not to be missed! You can choose from osteria/wine bar/pizzeria/restaurant/fish restaurant….my recommendation is for osteria, more typical but all are nice ...have a look at Gusto.it) – piazza Augusto Imperatore (near the Tevere, on left side of Piazza del Popolo) – Tel. 06 3226273  à book in advance!

TRATTORIA TRILUSSA*** (Historic trattoria in Trastevere) – Via del Politeama, 23-25 (Trastevere, in front of Piazza Trilussa, loooking at the fountain, get the road on the left and walk for 150 mt)  à book in advance!

IL BOCCONCINO** (typical nice trattoria: food is tasty, ver roman, no fixed menu...it depends on the day....but I love it as it was just downstair my place there and used to know the previous owner) – Via ostilia, 23 (100 mt from the colosseum) – Tel 06 77079175   --> maybe good for lunch 

BRUNCH (Sat or Sunday)

Obikà (mozzarella bar...if you love mozzarella and similar (treccia, burrata...), this is a paradise!) – Via dei Prefetti 28 (near Via del Corso) – Tel. 06 6832630  à be there early, between 12 and 1 max or book . there is a branch also in campo dei Fiori, too touristy however

APERITIF

Riccioli Caffé (fish-sushi and bubbles, it’s not really happy hour in the sense that you don’t get discount in this one or food for free)

(eventually you can decide to cross the street and have dinner in one of the Trattoria in Via delle Coppelle…)

One of the café in Campo dei Fiori (beside Piazza Farnese), nice setting, but very touristy....you can also have just a drink here at mid-afternoon

-----------

[--> For a romantic view, climb up the stairs on the right of Piazza del popolo (called Terrazze del Pincio) and walk until u reach the top of Trinità dei Monti  ---> ideal at sunset or even better at evening

CLUBS:

a)      LA MAISON (near Piazza Navona),  friday night only, on sat too young

b)      some of the numerous clubs in TESTACCIO , depending on the DJ performing...but usually this is a popular one: AKAB – via di Monte Testaccio 69 (3 rooms, with different music styl es)  

c)       ART CAFÉ – via del galoppatoio (near Piazza di Siena, c/o Villa Borghese)

More middle-age, trendy setting, hot chicks ;-)

d)      PIPER – historical club (30  &+  years old), always interesting concerts

e)       CIRCOLO DEGLI ARTISTI – via casilina vecchia 42 – www.circoloartisti.it (Great for avant-garde concerts) 

daniele79, Jul 15, 2009 @ 17:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
[quote]

Obikà (mozzarella bar...if you love mozzarella and similar (treccia, burrata...), this is a paradise!) – Via dei Prefetti 28 (near Via del Corso) – Tel. 06 6832630
[/quote]

a mozzarella bar! :cool:how wonderfully decadent!!!! Only in Italy!!!! will fly there this weekend just to try that and report on Monday with pics :D
[quote]

Obikà (mozzarella bar...if you love mozzarella and similar (treccia, burrata...), this is a paradise!) – Via dei Prefetti 28 (near Via del Corso) – Tel. 06 6832630
[/quote]

a mozzarella bar! :cool:how wonderfully decadent!!!! Only in Italy!!!! will fly there this weekend just to try that and report on Monday with pics :D
swisskiss, Jul 15, 2009 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
now obika is in Campo de fiori!!

I think that the one in via dei prefetti does not exist any more!

[quote][quote]

[/quote]

a mozzarella bar! :cool:how wonderfully decadent!!!! Only in Italy!!!! will fly there this weekend just to try that and report on Monday with pics :D[/quote]
now obika is in Campo de fiori!!

I think that the one in via dei prefetti does not exist any more!

[quote][quote]

[/quote]

a mozzarella bar! :cool:how wonderfully decadent!!!! Only in Italy!!!! will fly there this weekend just to try that and report on Monday with pics :D[/quote]
cifola, Jul 16, 2009 @ 17:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Ok guys I will do the Mozzarella tasting and will give my opinion...if I find the place :D
By the way I would like to thank all of you for the precious help...noe I have to extend my stay in Rome to visit everthying
Ok guys I will do the Mozzarella tasting and will give my opinion...if I find the place :D
By the way I would like to thank all of you for the precious help...noe I have to extend my stay in Rome to visit everthying
Walrus74, Jul 17, 2009 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Hi Xavier,

if you are not used to the Italian traffic, bicycle or scooter will be an experience. I was travelling by bike from north to south of Italy , so I learned the traffic rules, but you have to learn it!

Rolf

Hi Xavier,

if you are not used to the Italian traffic, bicycle or scooter will be an experience. I was travelling by bike from north to south of Italy , so I learned the traffic rules, but you have to learn it!

Rolf
Rolllf, Jul 22, 2009 @ 02:30

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

rules?? Actually I didn't know there were rules  ;-)

rules?? Actually I didn't know there were rules  ;-)
daniele79, Jul 22, 2009 @ 11:57

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1476 Views      |  Send to friend
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS

Feedback Form