Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Anyone interest to go to Romania?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Anyone interest to go to Romania?

Planning to go to Romania in August/September. Have been there many times and love it. A land full of beauty, culture, history and nature. I love the Black Sea, totally unspoilt, the beautiful mountains are great for hiking, or visit the legends of Dracula in Transylvenia, kajak in Danube Delta ...many more

anyone interested?¨It is better to have good companion to share cost and the stunning scenery!

Hoep to hear form you

The text you are quoting:

Planning to go to Romania in August/September. Have been there many times and love it. A land full of beauty, culture, history and nature. I love the Black Sea, totally unspoilt, the beautiful mountains are great for hiking, or visit the legends of Dracula in Transylvenia, kajak in Danube Delta ...many more

anyone interested?¨It is better to have good companion to share cost and the stunning scenery!

Hoep to hear form you

Helena SchuetterJul 9, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

28 Replies | 2362 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Anyone interest to go to Romania?
Post 1

Definitly a great idea, i have been wanting to visit Tranylvenia for a long time, so am interested! are you planning to drive ? Cheers, Ben

Definitly a great idea, i have been wanting to visit Tranylvenia for a long time, so am interested! are you planning to drive ? Cheers, Ben

beeps, Jul 9, 2014 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi, tes, will be nice to drive to places together.

Hi, tes, will be nice to drive to places together.

Helena Schuetter, Jul 9, 2014 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Helena, September probably won't work for me, but if you are considering August, for how long would it be, and what dates are you considering?

JJ

Hi Helena, September probably won't work for me, but if you are considering August, for how long would it be, and what dates are you considering?

JJ

Jean-Jacques B, Jul 10, 2014 @ 02:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi JJ, August is probably most crowded and most expensive due to holidays, September is still good weather-wise and things are calmer. I am thinking of one week to 10 days. What is your travel style? I have a moderate budget and tend to stay in B&B and self drive.

Hi JJ, August is probably most crowded and most expensive due to holidays, September is still good weather-wise and things are calmer. I am thinking of one week to 10 days. What is your travel style? I have a moderate budget and tend to stay in B&B and self drive.

Helena Schuetter, Jul 10, 2014 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello Helena, my travel style is the same as yours.  I'm interested, but planning for September is a bit difficult for me as I won't know on which days I could travel until late August or so.  However, I will keep an eye on your event on the meantime.  

Hello Helena, my travel style is the same as yours.  I'm interested, but planning for September is a bit difficult for me as I won't know on which days I could travel until late August or so.  However, I will keep an eye on your event on the meantime.  

Jean-Jacques B, Jul 10, 2014 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Guys, I might be interested too!

I just come back from a trip to Cluj (transyvania) and think it's a great country!

There are flight at good prices from basel with Wizzair and personnaly I could take 1 week of in Septembre. August would not work. Same style as you define is fine for me. I also like couchsurfing which allows to meet local persons.

Happy to discuss this further with you!

Benoit

Hi Guys, I might be interested too!

I just come back from a trip to Cluj (transyvania) and think it's a great country!

There are flight at good prices from basel with Wizzair and personnaly I could take 1 week of in Septembre. August would not work. Same style as you define is fine for me. I also like couchsurfing which allows to meet local persons.

Happy to discuss this further with you!

Benoit

Ben Del, Jul 10, 2014 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

very interested to see the culture and life of Romania. I have time to go there one week or two in Aug/Sep.

very interested to see the culture and life of Romania. I have time to go there one week or two in Aug/Sep.

Mattieu R, Jul 10, 2014 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi all, great to see so many responses and cool people who like to travel together. I need to hand in my holiday at work, shall we set up a doodle to find dates which suit most?  

I know a great furnished apartment in the center of Bucharest and can rent for Euro 80 per night (sleeps 8 persons), that will take care our arrival and departure days, it is 10 mins to old town for great restaurants and music, bars etc.

we can pick up a rental car at the airport or charter a van with a driver (depends on how many of us). How many places can we cover in Transylvania in a week?

I am getting really excited! Please input your thoughts, thanks.

Helena

Hi all, great to see so many responses and cool people who like to travel together. I need to hand in my holiday at work, shall we set up a doodle to find dates which suit most?  

I know a great furnished apartment in the center of Bucharest and can rent for Euro 80 per night (sleeps 8 persons), that will take care our arrival and departure days, it is 10 mins to old town for great restaurants and music, bars etc.

we can pick up a rental car at the airport or charter a van with a driver (depends on how many of us). How many places can we cover in Transylvania in a week?

I am getting really excited! Please input your thoughts, thanks.

Helena

Helena Schuetter, Jul 10, 2014 @ 22:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

perhaps easier to communicate by private e-mails? mine is [email protected]

perhaps easier to communicate by private e-mails? mine is [email protected]

Helena Schuetter, Jul 10, 2014 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I love the idea, I will pm you directly.

I love the idea, I will pm you directly.

Dave G, Jul 11, 2014 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I've sent you my email by PM.

According to my Romanian Colleague, if we want to visit transylvania, it's better to land in Cluj or Targu Mures. (durict flight from Basel) The road Between bucharest and Transylvania is very long and not the best one according to him. There are not that many highways over there. We could thus avoid losing time on the road by landing directly in Transylvania.

According to my Romanian Colleague, if we want to visit transylvania, it's better to land in Cluj or Targu Mures. (durict flight from Basel) The road Between bucharest and Transylvania is very long and not the best one according to him. There are not that many highways over there. We could thus avoid losing time on the road by landing directly in Transylvania.

Ben Del, Jul 11, 2014 @ 09:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Ben, thanks for the tip, I will start looking for flights out of Basel to Cluj. Any idea about accomodations and transport? I am so happy - looks like I am off to holiday in September!

Hi Ben, thanks for the tip, I will start looking for flights out of Basel to Cluj. Any idea about accomodations and transport? I am so happy - looks like I am off to holiday in September!

Helena Schuetter, Jul 11, 2014 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Wow, just looked - WIZAIR Basel to Cluj cost only CHF 80 return i september! super good price

Wow, just looked - WIZAIR Basel to Cluj cost only CHF 80 return i september! super good price

Helena Schuetter, Jul 11, 2014 @ 11:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hi all, I created the doodle to collect dates you are likely to take a week off to travel to Romania. Feel free to send to your friends. Can you leave me a message with your private e-mail so that I can get back to you about final date? I need to apply holiday so need to know soon. Thousand thanks. Helnea

http://doodle.com/ap8ypwrerv2bdmcm

Hi all, I created the doodle to collect dates you are likely to take a week off to travel to Romania. Feel free to send to your friends. Can you leave me a message with your private e-mail so that I can get back to you about final date? I need to apply holiday so need to know soon. Thousand thanks. Helnea

http://doodle.com/ap8ypwrerv2bdmcm

Helena Schuetter, Jul 12, 2014 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi all, I accidentally closed the first poll, now I created a new doodle poll to collect dates you are likely to take a week off to travel to Romania. Feel free to send to your friends. Can you leave me a message with your private e-mail so that I can get back to you about final date? I need to apply holiday so need to know soon. Thousand thanks. Helnea

http://doodle.com/k54unty2weic5gph

Hi all, I accidentally closed the first poll, now I created a new doodle poll to collect dates you are likely to take a week off to travel to Romania. Feel free to send to your friends. Can you leave me a message with your private e-mail so that I can get back to you about final date? I need to apply holiday so need to know soon. Thousand thanks. Helnea

http://doodle.com/k54unty2weic5gph

Helena Schuetter, Jul 13, 2014 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Been there...gorgeous trip. On the same principle looking for travel companions for a long weekend to Istanbul in November. Thumbs up?

MAria

Been there...gorgeous trip. On the same principle looking for travel companions for a long weekend to Istanbul in November. Thumbs up?

MAria

María, Jul 13, 2014 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi all, so far I have 3 other people sign up in the poll, all 4 (including me) vote for 21st September week. I do hope for more people interested to come along.

Can someone recommend good restaurants in Bucharest and Transyvania? Thanks.

Best regards

Helena

Hi all, so far I have 3 other people sign up in the poll, all 4 (including me) vote for 21st September week. I do hope for more people interested to come along.

Can someone recommend good restaurants in Bucharest and Transyvania? Thanks.

Best regards

Helena

Helena Schuetter, Jul 17, 2014 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hi Helena

I can recommend Old City Center area, around National Bank. There are good terraces and restaurants. Namely, Caru cu Bere restaurant, might be the best choice for food, warm atmosphere and a beautiful story behind you would love to discover.

www.carucubere.ro

Enjoy,

Mirela

Hi Helena

I can recommend Old City Center area, around National Bank. There are good terraces and restaurants. Namely, Caru cu Bere restaurant, might be the best choice for food, warm atmosphere and a beautiful story behind you would love to discover.

www.carucubere.ro

Enjoy,

Mirela

Mirela E, Jul 17, 2014 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jul 11, 14 09:55

The highway from Bucharest to Transylvania is actually quite good.  It deteriorates immediately when you reach the first predominantly Hungarian area (due to long-term, historical neglect of Hungarian areas' infrastructure by successive Romanian governments).  I recall that it's about 3 hours' drive from Bucharest airport to the edge of Transylvania.

Cluj is a very nice little city and good gateway into "proper" Transylvania, but don't expect the same facilities (restaurant options, car rental etc) as you would get in Bucharest.

Drive carefully, because no-one else there does.

The highway from Bucharest to Transylvania is actually quite good.  It deteriorates immediately when you reach the first predominantly Hungarian area (due to long-term, historical neglect of Hungarian areas' infrastructure by successive Romanian governments).  I recall that it's about 3 hours' drive from Bucharest airport to the edge of Transylvania.

Cluj is a very nice little city and good gateway into "proper" Transylvania, but don't expect the same facilities (restaurant options, car rental etc) as you would get in Bucharest.

Drive carefully, because no-one else there does.

Andy C, Jul 17, 2014 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Thanks Mirela, the restaurant looks great. I will pass on to my freinds who are going in July - too bad I cannot go with them as I only get holidays in September!

Is there a motocycle trail in Transyvania? What about hiking? Is it as easy as in Swizerland all trails are indicated and there are cable cars everywhere? Thanks so much for feedback.

Thanks Mirela, the restaurant looks great. I will pass on to my freinds who are going in July - too bad I cannot go with them as I only get holidays in September!

Is there a motocycle trail in Transyvania? What about hiking? Is it as easy as in Swizerland all trails are indicated and there are cable cars everywhere? Thanks so much for feedback.

Helena Schuetter, Jul 17, 2014 @ 14:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Jul 17, 14 14:08

I have driven extensively in Transylvania and I am a very experienced motorcyclist, but I would never ride a motorbike there.  The road surfaces are terrible - often more potholes than road - and a high percentage of the people there, including otherwise civilised, professional people, drive as if they are in a police chase.  This is mixed in with ancient Dacias driving at 30kmh, occaisional oxen, and large trucks.

The hiking, however, is beautiful and spectacular.  It is mostly "wild country" in that trails are typically not marked, but it is all mapped.  There are regular springs of natural sparkling water by the roadside and lots of nice camping spots.  The only cable cars that I know of are in the ski resorts.  It is worth consulting locals before setting out as there are a lot of wild bears and wolves (not that I was able to find them - apparently they focus mainly on hotel back yards, where the bins are).

I have driven extensively in Transylvania and I am a very experienced motorcyclist, but I would never ride a motorbike there.  The road surfaces are terrible - often more potholes than road - and a high percentage of the people there, including otherwise civilised, professional people, drive as if they are in a police chase.  This is mixed in with ancient Dacias driving at 30kmh, occaisional oxen, and large trucks.

The hiking, however, is beautiful and spectacular.  It is mostly "wild country" in that trails are typically not marked, but it is all mapped.  There are regular springs of natural sparkling water by the roadside and lots of nice camping spots.  The only cable cars that I know of are in the ski resorts.  It is worth consulting locals before setting out as there are a lot of wild bears and wolves (not that I was able to find them - apparently they focus mainly on hotel back yards, where the bins are).

Andy C, Jul 17, 2014 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Dear all, I am taking one week off in September from 21st to 27th, I plan to fly to Bucharest, rent a car and slowly get to Cluj, fly back from Cluj to Basel. Anyone interested to join? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Helena 

Dear all, I am taking one week off in September from 21st to 27th, I plan to fly to Bucharest, rent a car and slowly get to Cluj, fly back from Cluj to Basel. Anyone interested to join? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Helena 

Helena Schuetter, Jul 27, 2014 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hi Helena, this trip sounds awesome, and I have signed up on your doodle.  Are you still thinking about going from the 21st through the 27th?  I have put these dates on my calendar.

Hi Helena, this trip sounds awesome, and I have signed up on your doodle.  Are you still thinking about going from the 21st through the 27th?  I have put these dates on my calendar.

Jean-Jacques B, Sep 3, 2014 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Im thinking of joining you, I hope the weather will be ok.

Im thinking of joining you, I hope the weather will be ok.

Dorothy W, Sep 3, 2014 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Here is a website to help us plan this trip:

http://romaniatourism.com/

Here is a website to help us plan this trip:

http://romaniatourism.com/

Jean-Jacques B, Sep 3, 2014 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

wow thanks Jean-Jacques, me as a real gypsy fell in love with those castles, mountains etc. I might as well move over to Romania for good.

wow thanks Jean-Jacques, me as a real gypsy fell in love with those castles, mountains etc. I might as well move over to Romania for good.

Dorothy W, Sep 3, 2014 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Dear freinds, up to 4 Sept, there are 5 people who signed up on my doodle poll to travel to Romania from 21 to 27 September,  Dorothy, or anyone interested, please also enter your name to the poll: http://doodle.com/k54unty2weic5gph

I would like to post my travel suggestions:I plan to fly to Cluj from Basel (probably cheapest for me) and rent a car together and drive down to Bucharest, stop in places where we decide to visit, do some hiking in the mountains etc., I realize there are travelers from Geneva area, we should coordinate what is the best way to meet up in Romania. please send me any suggestions you have, I am open and looking forward to this trip and get to know some great travelers.

Best regards, Helena

Dear freinds, up to 4 Sept, there are 5 people who signed up on my doodle poll to travel to Romania from 21 to 27 September,  Dorothy, or anyone interested, please also enter your name to the poll: http://doodle.com/k54unty2weic5gph

I would like to post my travel suggestions:I plan to fly to Cluj from Basel (probably cheapest for me) and rent a car together and drive down to Bucharest, stop in places where we decide to visit, do some hiking in the mountains etc., I realize there are travelers from Geneva area, we should coordinate what is the best way to meet up in Romania. please send me any suggestions you have, I am open and looking forward to this trip and get to know some great travelers.

Best regards, Helena

Helena Schuetter, Sep 4, 2014 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Dear all, the trip is finalized, there are 3 of us, would like to have one more person to join as there is space in the rental car. 

Friday 19 Sept. Basel to Cluj, dep 20:55 arr 23:55 overnight in Cluj

Sat 20 to 26 Sept. rental car to drive to Suceava, visit painted monasteries and churches, scenic mountain drive and hiking

Fri 26 Sept. return car to Cluj, either depart for home or onward to Bucharest.

Please contact me if you are intersted.

Best regards

Helena  

Dear all, the trip is finalized, there are 3 of us, would like to have one more person to join as there is space in the rental car. 

Friday 19 Sept. Basel to Cluj, dep 20:55 arr 23:55 overnight in Cluj

Sat 20 to 26 Sept. rental car to drive to Suceava, visit painted monasteries and churches, scenic mountain drive and hiking

Fri 26 Sept. return car to Cluj, either depart for home or onward to Bucharest.

Please contact me if you are intersted.

Best regards

Helena  

Helena Schuetter, Sep 10, 2014 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
28 Replies | 2362 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form