Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Athens, Greece - Airport Transport

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Athens, Greece - Airport Transport
To all my Greek Friends here, I will arriving at the Athens airport at 2 AM.  Can someone please tell me what are my options to get to the City center at that time.  I know I can take the taxi but I read that the taxi rate is doubled after midnight so I would rather not spend that much on just a a taxi ride.  I tried to see metro information but I can't figure out the schedule for metro trains.  Do they run all night or they stop at certain time?  All help will be appreciated.

Regards

-A 
The text you are quoting:
To all my Greek Friends here, I will arriving at the Athens airport at 2 AM.  Can someone please tell me what are my options to get to the City center at that time.  I know I can take the taxi but I read that the taxi rate is doubled after midnight so I would rather not spend that much on just a a taxi ride.  I tried to see metro information but I can't figure out the schedule for metro trains.  Do they run all night or they stop at certain time?  All help will be appreciated.

Regards

-A 
JustChillingAug 21, 2009 @ 01:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1445 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Athens, Greece - Airport Transport
Post 1
 hi just chilling
the train and metro stops are a certain time i m not sure anymore at what time is it.
but you can try to see if the bus works they have a bus from the airport until the center but i don t remenber the time schedule on that one too.
the bus leaves you at omonia or the front of the parlament (bouli)  it s the most cheap and takes you direclty to the center.i think in the net you can see the maps of the transports and the city and you can see the time schedule too.
best regards helena
 hi just chilling
the train and metro stops are a certain time i m not sure anymore at what time is it.
but you can try to see if the bus works they have a bus from the airport until the center but i don t remenber the time schedule on that one too.
the bus leaves you at omonia or the front of the parlament (bouli)  it s the most cheap and takes you direclty to the center.i think in the net you can see the maps of the transports and the city and you can see the time schedule too.
best regards helena
hisb12, Aug 21, 2009 @ 08:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hey,
If you find no other option, negociate for a while and with a few. At that time they will not have that many clients. It worked for me in Naples why not in Athens ;)
Hey,
If you find no other option, negociate for a while and with a few. At that time they will not have that many clients. It worked for me in Naples why not in Athens ;)

Alexandra C, Aug 21, 2009 @ 09:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hi,

The train/metro does not run at 2am, but many airport buses run all night. For example the X95 takes you to the centre (Syntagma) and X96 to Pireas. They are cheap, I think slightly over 3 euros. All the information you need is on:

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?lang=en

More specifically, go to the timetables of the buses (sort by suburb Spata, where the airport is):
http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?asp=routes/index_Lines.asp&order=3&munic=%u03A3%u03A0%u0391%u03A4%u0391

All the buses starting with X leave from the airport, to various places, and most of them run late at night, or even all night.

Hope this helps.
 Hi,

The train/metro does not run at 2am, but many airport buses run all night. For example the X95 takes you to the centre (Syntagma) and X96 to Pireas. They are cheap, I think slightly over 3 euros. All the information you need is on:

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?lang=en

More specifically, go to the timetables of the buses (sort by suburb Spata, where the airport is):
http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?asp=routes/index_Lines.asp&order=3&munic=%u03A3%u03A0%u0391%u03A4%u0391

All the buses starting with X leave from the airport, to various places, and most of them run late at night, or even all night.

Hope this helps.

gm267, Aug 21, 2009 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hey,

Aug 21, 09 09:37
 Hi Betty, from what I have read on a couple of sites, you basically stand in a taxi line at the airport and you are assigned the next taxi in line.  The taxi driver can't refuse to take you and you can't say that I will take the next one in line or negotiate with them.  They work on meter only.  The fare is pretty much doubled after midnight so it is quite expensive to take a taxi from the airport to the city center at night.

I think I will take the X95 bus which runs every half an hour at night and takes about 45 minutes to get to the center for 3.20 euros.  So for about half and hour extra time I save like 60-70 euros.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-A
 Hi Betty, from what I have read on a couple of sites, you basically stand in a taxi line at the airport and you are assigned the next taxi in line.  The taxi driver can't refuse to take you and you can't say that I will take the next one in line or negotiate with them.  They work on meter only.  The fare is pretty much doubled after midnight so it is quite expensive to take a taxi from the airport to the city center at night.

I think I will take the X95 bus which runs every half an hour at night and takes about 45 minutes to get to the center for 3.20 euros.  So for about half and hour extra time I save like 60-70 euros.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-A
JustChilling, Aug 21, 2009 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1445 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form