Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam

Hi all,

I am in the (very) early stages of planning a month trip to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in July (monsoon season I know, but its the only time I can get a full month off), and thought I would use the wisdom and experience of glocals members to see what advice I can get.

First of all, assuming approximately 10 days per country, what are the not to miss spots? We are thinking of flying into Hanoi, moving south to HCMC, then up to Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and up to Laos, getting as far North as possible. Too ambitious for the time frame? Finally hope to get a connecting flight to Bangkok for a cheaper return flight, or possibly a few extra days there. Any suggestions welcome.

Second question, thinking of couch surfing our way around. I've never done this before, so wondering if anyone has advice on this? I know that either way budget accomodation wouldn't be a problem, but we figured couch surfing would be a fun alternative and great way to get to know hidden gems of places we visit.

Finally, I need to buy a big backpack for this trip, any advice on best place to look in Geneva? Ochsner sport? Go Sport in Etrembieres? Also, what size should I aim for? I'm tall and no weakling, but can't really see myself with a 90L bag...60-70L realistic?

Thanks for any help!

E

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I am in the (very) early stages of planning a month trip to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in July (monsoon season I know, but its the only time I can get a full month off), and thought I would use the wisdom and experience of glocals members to see what advice I can get.

First of all, assuming approximately 10 days per country, what are the not to miss spots? We are thinking of flying into Hanoi, moving south to HCMC, then up to Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and up to Laos, getting as far North as possible. Too ambitious for the time frame? Finally hope to get a connecting flight to Bangkok for a cheaper return flight, or possibly a few extra days there. Any suggestions welcome.

Second question, thinking of couch surfing our way around. I've never done this before, so wondering if anyone has advice on this? I know that either way budget accomodation wouldn't be a problem, but we figured couch surfing would be a fun alternative and great way to get to know hidden gems of places we visit.

Finally, I need to buy a big backpack for this trip, any advice on best place to look in Geneva? Ochsner sport? Go Sport in Etrembieres? Also, what size should I aim for? I'm tall and no weakling, but can't really see myself with a 90L bag...60-70L realistic?

Thanks for any help!

E

Elke_1982Feb 5, 2010 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2500 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam
Post 1

Hi Elke,
10 days per country will certainly be a bit short. All also depends on the period you go there. When do you plan to go?
I cannot tell you much about Cambodia or Laos. I only know they are very beautiful.
But as a Vietnamese native, I think you shouldn't miss some important spots like: the Halong Bay, the Ba Be Lake, the Tam Coc area (known as "Halong Bay on the rice paddies") in Northern Vietnam; Hue City, former imperial capital and Hoi An, known as one of Southeast Asia's major international ports from the 17th to 19th centuries in Central Vietnam; Mui Ne Beach and of course, Ho Chi Minh City in Southern Vietnam. Wherever you go to, try to taste the local specialities since they are quite varying from one region to another (there are about 500 traditional dishes!). Famous dishes like Pho (rice-noodle soup) and Nem (spring rolls) are but the tip of the gastronomic iceberg. If cooking were painting, Vietnam would have one of the world's most colorful palettes.

Hi Elke,
10 days per country will certainly be a bit short. All also depends on the period you go there. When do you plan to go?
I cannot tell you much about Cambodia or Laos. I only know they are very beautiful.
But as a Vietnamese native, I think you shouldn't miss some important spots like: the Halong Bay, the Ba Be Lake, the Tam Coc area (known as "Halong Bay on the rice paddies") in Northern Vietnam; Hue City, former imperial capital and Hoi An, known as one of Southeast Asia's major international ports from the 17th to 19th centuries in Central Vietnam; Mui Ne Beach and of course, Ho Chi Minh City in Southern Vietnam. Wherever you go to, try to taste the local specialities since they are quite varying from one region to another (there are about 500 traditional dishes!). Famous dishes like Pho (rice-noodle soup) and Nem (spring rolls) are but the tip of the gastronomic iceberg. If cooking were painting, Vietnam would have one of the world's most colorful palettes.

painterman, Feb 6, 2010 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I travelled for 3 months with a 45 litre pack....depends on how good you are at packing Tongue out  I usually go with a backpacker travel company called Intrepid,,,,,take a look at their website, i know u want to go it alone but you can look for an idea of itineary and where to go etc....  www.intrepidtravel.com

In Cambodia,,you MUST see Angkor Wat Temple and MUST MUST see Tha Prohm.  To learn the history of the place...The Killing Fields, The Genocide Museum & The War crimes museum are all a bit harrowing but give you a very informative insight into what the people have been through but certainly not for the faint hearted.

In Vietnam...Must see Hoi An, a little town, very arty and THE place to get clothes made, if you have anything specific they can go by your instructions or even copy pictures, Cruise around Halong Bay and for a bit of different fun, Cat ba island.....

Cambodia is quite dry, arid..people are friendly.......Vietnam is very lush and green,,gorgeous food,,,gorgeous beaches....wonderful people..Both a real treat !!

I travelled for 3 months with a 45 litre pack....depends on how good you are at packing Tongue out  I usually go with a backpacker travel company called Intrepid,,,,,take a look at their website, i know u want to go it alone but you can look for an idea of itineary and where to go etc....  www.intrepidtravel.com

In Cambodia,,you MUST see Angkor Wat Temple and MUST MUST see Tha Prohm.  To learn the history of the place...The Killing Fields, The Genocide Museum & The War crimes museum are all a bit harrowing but give you a very informative insight into what the people have been through but certainly not for the faint hearted.

In Vietnam...Must see Hoi An, a little town, very arty and THE place to get clothes made, if you have anything specific they can go by your instructions or even copy pictures, Cruise around Halong Bay and for a bit of different fun, Cat ba island.....

Cambodia is quite dry, arid..people are friendly.......Vietnam is very lush and green,,gorgeous food,,,gorgeous beaches....wonderful people..Both a real treat !!

uktheturtle, Feb 6, 2010 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

thanks for the advice! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the possibilities and cramming it all into 1 month, so really have a lot of planning left to do! And am definitely looking forward to sampling alot of local dishes, one of the best parts of travelling!

thanks for the advice! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the possibilities and cramming it all into 1 month, so really have a lot of planning left to do! And am definitely looking forward to sampling alot of local dishes, one of the best parts of travelling!

Elke_1982, Feb 8, 2010 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

spent 17 days in these 3 countries, what an amazing land! 

spent 17 days in these 3 countries, what an amazing land! 

Stephanie Godfrey, Mar 21, 2016 @ 07:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

It will be summer then, just pack minumum and buy a backpack in hanoi.

Ali Baba, Mar 21, 2016 @ 11:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 21, 16 11:55

This thread dates back to 2010.

This thread dates back to 2010.

Ritchie, Mar 21, 2016 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2500 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form