Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Can I take cheese into the US?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Can I take cheese into the US?
I'm going to America next week. America is known to be the world's worst country for cheese. Since I live in Switzerland -- the world's best country for cheese -- I thought I might take some with me.

But someone warned me that I may not be able to.

So. Can I? And by "Can I?" I really mean:

a. Is it technically not allowed?

b. If (a) is true: will I get caught doing it anyway?

c. Is there a form they make you sign to say that you are not bringing any tasty foodstuffs into the country?

d. If I get caught with cheese, after having declared that I have none, will they give me the electric chair? I appreciate that this depends on which state, so I will do immigration in New York.

Thank you for your time. And hopefully also your knowledge.
The text you are quoting:
I'm going to America next week. America is known to be the world's worst country for cheese. Since I live in Switzerland -- the world's best country for cheese -- I thought I might take some with me.

But someone warned me that I may not be able to.

So. Can I? And by "Can I?" I really mean:

a. Is it technically not allowed?

b. If (a) is true: will I get caught doing it anyway?

c. Is there a form they make you sign to say that you are not bringing any tasty foodstuffs into the country?

d. If I get caught with cheese, after having declared that I have none, will they give me the electric chair? I appreciate that this depends on which state, so I will do immigration in New York.

Thank you for your time. And hopefully also your knowledge.
hayesFeb 26, 2009 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 11917 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Can I take cheese into the US?
Post 1
NO Hayes you may NOT bring in any dairy, meat, or fruits into the US.

If can decide to disobey this warning, there is the chance that you have one of these sniffing dogs coming after you!

However, you can always ask the folks selling cheese at the entrance way of the security check in to see if you can bring it in. I don't know why but if it's from the duty free places, it may be ok, but best to ask them.  I know in UK you're technically not allowed to bring in cheese either, but I found that out after I bought some from Holland. 

But, next time you come to the US and you come via NY, then can you bring me some gruyeres and vaucherons and emmantals??? :D

NO Hayes you may NOT bring in any dairy, meat, or fruits into the US.

If can decide to disobey this warning, there is the chance that you have one of these sniffing dogs coming after you!

However, you can always ask the folks selling cheese at the entrance way of the security check in to see if you can bring it in. I don't know why but if it's from the duty free places, it may be ok, but best to ask them.  I know in UK you're technically not allowed to bring in cheese either, but I found that out after I bought some from Holland. 

But, next time you come to the US and you come via NY, then can you bring me some gruyeres and vaucherons and emmantals??? :D
YouMeCo, Feb 26, 2009 @ 18:47

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
btw, depending on where you're headed, they do sell cheese that doesn't necessarily come wrapped in slices in celophane and have an orange coloring of a highlighter. :Whistling:
btw, depending on where you're headed, they do sell cheese that doesn't necessarily come wrapped in slices in celophane and have an orange coloring of a highlighter. :Whistling:
YouMeCo, Feb 26, 2009 @ 18:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I was traveling to the UK last week and took some cheese with me. They were all packed in foil and when I was passing the check in here, the customs officer asked me to open the carry on and looked at them.She pointed to one kind of cheese and said it's too soft and next time I shouldn't take it, but let me take it this time. I don't think they're very strict in general. I always travel with some food:-) and never had problems. I transported cheese to Canada before, too.

I'd recommend you could put the cheese in the check-in luggage as then they won't ask questions and won't bother opening it either.
I was traveling to the UK last week and took some cheese with me. They were all packed in foil and when I was passing the check in here, the customs officer asked me to open the carry on and looked at them.She pointed to one kind of cheese and said it's too soft and next time I shouldn't take it, but let me take it this time. I don't think they're very strict in general. I always travel with some food:-) and never had problems. I transported cheese to Canada before, too.

I'd recommend you could put the cheese in the check-in luggage as then they won't ask questions and won't bother opening it either.
Marz, Feb 26, 2009 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Oh and in the UK they never bothered to inspect my food.
Oh and in the UK they never bothered to inspect my food.
Marz, Feb 26, 2009 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Meanwhile...at www.cheesewars.com

ep1frame.gif (3916 bytes)

backe1-1.jpg (4144 bytes)

John, an ordinary block of cheddar cheese, was convicted of a crime he didn't know he was committing.

smalljack.jpg (6528 bytes)   smallmel.jpg (6962 bytes)

While in the pen, he is mistaken for Scooter McQueen, leader of the Outlaw Dairy Revolution, by two of the Revolution's most loyal soldiers, Monterey Jack and Scottish Mel.

smallwes.jpg (6030 bytes)

Mel and Jack, along with mutinous Royal Dairy Army members Wesley, Ike and Homer, stage a prison break to free John. Why they all believe John is Scooter is a mystery, although it might have something to do with John's stylish hat.

smallbattle.jpg (7628 bytes)

After a furious battle and desperate chase through the forest, John, Monterey Jack and Scottish Mel are reunited and, with John pretending to be Scooter for a little while longer, decide to continue their getaway over the water...

rarrow.gif (1977 bytes)
Go to Episode 1

rarrow.gif (1483 bytes)
Episode 2 Backstory

Meanwhile...at www.cheesewars.com

ep1frame.gif (3916 bytes)

backe1-1.jpg (4144 bytes)

John, an ordinary block of cheddar cheese, was convicted of a crime he didn't know he was committing.

smalljack.jpg (6528 bytes)   smallmel.jpg (6962 bytes)

While in the pen, he is mistaken for Scooter McQueen, leader of the Outlaw Dairy Revolution, by two of the Revolution's most loyal soldiers, Monterey Jack and Scottish Mel.

smallwes.jpg (6030 bytes)

Mel and Jack, along with mutinous Royal Dairy Army members Wesley, Ike and Homer, stage a prison break to free John. Why they all believe John is Scooter is a mystery, although it might have something to do with John's stylish hat.

smallbattle.jpg (7628 bytes)

After a furious battle and desperate chase through the forest, John, Monterey Jack and Scottish Mel are reunited and, with John pretending to be Scooter for a little while longer, decide to continue their getaway over the water...

rarrow.gif (1977 bytes)
Go to Episode 1

rarrow.gif (1483 bytes)
Episode 2 Backstory

Translator, Feb 26, 2009 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Et sacre bleu (cheese)!

France targets Coca-Cola in escalating 'cheese wars'

The French government is facing calls to slap a massive import tax on Coca-Cola in retaliation for punitive American duties levelled on the salty, blue-veined, sheep cheese roquefort.

By Henry Samuel in Paris
Last Updated: 8:24PM GMT 21 Jan 2009, The Daily Telegraph...
Roquefort: US punishes France with roquefort tariff
Roquefort: America imposed a 100 per cent import duty on a long list of EU products on Thursday, but singled roquefort out for a 300 per cent tariff Photo: AFP

The American measures were taken as part of a trade dispute, now known as "cheese wars", in which the Bush administration took action against the European Union's ban on imports of US hormone-treated beef.

Last week, America imposed a 100 per cent import duty on a long list of EU products, but singled roquefort out for a 300 per cent tariff.

"Symbol versus symbol," said Philippe Folliot, a French member of parliament whose Tarn constituency contains many roquefort producers. "Since the United States has decided to surtax one of the most ancient (cheese) appellations, I think that the French government, with the European Union, must think about a heavy specific tax on imports of Coca-Cola concentrates produced in the US."

In a letter to George W Bush's successor, Barack Obama, Mr Folliot called on the newly inaugurated US president to remove the "shocking" roquefort duty, which, he said "uselessly stigmatises an already fragile sector."

Producers of what the French hail as the "king of cheeses" from the Massif Central, southern France, say the rise is tantamount to an "embargo" on roquefort exports to their third biggest market. Roquefort makers export about 420 tons a year, or 2.5 percent of their total production, to the US.

The latest action has been slammed as a parting shot by Mr Bush, who is still thought to be piqued by France's opposition to the 2003 Iraq war.

The move was seen in France as a lame-duck president's final revenge against a nation once maligned as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" in the cartoon programme The Simpsons.

The EU banned growth hormones on European farms more than two decades ago on health grounds, but their use was continued in the United States.

After a long-running legal battle, the World Trade Organisation ruled in October that there was no "scientific" evidence that eating hormone-treated beef posed a health threat. But Brussels refused to lift its ban and brought another case before the WTO.

Last week Washington hit back with retaliatory duties on a range of European food exports. No British foodstuffs were affected as successive UK governments have supported the lifting of the EU ban on growth hormones.

France's agriculture minister yesterday said his country and the European Commission would appeal the new tariff in the WTO.

Describing the American move as "pretty mediocre," Michel Barnier said it "won't make us bend one centimetre" from the EU line against the import of hormone beef.

Roquefort is a crumbly cheese of slightly moist consistency and characterized by green veins of mould. It is made exclusively from ewes' milk that is left to ripen in the caves of Mont Combalou in Roquefort-sur-Soulzon.

Legend has it that the cheese was discovered when a young shepherd eating his lunch of bread and ewes' milk cheese forgot his meal in a cave after spotting a beautiful girl. When he returned a few days later, the mould Penicillium Roqueforti had transformed his plain cheese into roquefort.

Et sacre bleu (cheese)!

France targets Coca-Cola in escalating 'cheese wars'

The French government is facing calls to slap a massive import tax on Coca-Cola in retaliation for punitive American duties levelled on the salty, blue-veined, sheep cheese roquefort.

By Henry Samuel in Paris
Last Updated: 8:24PM GMT 21 Jan 2009, The Daily Telegraph...
Roquefort: US punishes France with roquefort tariff
Roquefort: America imposed a 100 per cent import duty on a long list of EU products on Thursday, but singled roquefort out for a 300 per cent tariff Photo: AFP

The American measures were taken as part of a trade dispute, now known as "cheese wars", in which the Bush administration took action against the European Union's ban on imports of US hormone-treated beef.

Last week, America imposed a 100 per cent import duty on a long list of EU products, but singled roquefort out for a 300 per cent tariff.

"Symbol versus symbol," said Philippe Folliot, a French member of parliament whose Tarn constituency contains many roquefort producers. "Since the United States has decided to surtax one of the most ancient (cheese) appellations, I think that the French government, with the European Union, must think about a heavy specific tax on imports of Coca-Cola concentrates produced in the US."

In a letter to George W Bush's successor, Barack Obama, Mr Folliot called on the newly inaugurated US president to remove the "shocking" roquefort duty, which, he said "uselessly stigmatises an already fragile sector."

Producers of what the French hail as the "king of cheeses" from the Massif Central, southern France, say the rise is tantamount to an "embargo" on roquefort exports to their third biggest market. Roquefort makers export about 420 tons a year, or 2.5 percent of their total production, to the US.

The latest action has been slammed as a parting shot by Mr Bush, who is still thought to be piqued by France's opposition to the 2003 Iraq war.

The move was seen in France as a lame-duck president's final revenge against a nation once maligned as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" in the cartoon programme The Simpsons.

The EU banned growth hormones on European farms more than two decades ago on health grounds, but their use was continued in the United States.

After a long-running legal battle, the World Trade Organisation ruled in October that there was no "scientific" evidence that eating hormone-treated beef posed a health threat. But Brussels refused to lift its ban and brought another case before the WTO.

Last week Washington hit back with retaliatory duties on a range of European food exports. No British foodstuffs were affected as successive UK governments have supported the lifting of the EU ban on growth hormones.

France's agriculture minister yesterday said his country and the European Commission would appeal the new tariff in the WTO.

Describing the American move as "pretty mediocre," Michel Barnier said it "won't make us bend one centimetre" from the EU line against the import of hormone beef.

Roquefort is a crumbly cheese of slightly moist consistency and characterized by green veins of mould. It is made exclusively from ewes' milk that is left to ripen in the caves of Mont Combalou in Roquefort-sur-Soulzon.

Legend has it that the cheese was discovered when a young shepherd eating his lunch of bread and ewes' milk cheese forgot his meal in a cave after spotting a beautiful girl. When he returned a few days later, the mould Penicillium Roqueforti had transformed his plain cheese into roquefort.

Translator, Feb 26, 2009 @ 22:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Yumi... you're telling me! (No fruit etc)

Had a banana in my bag to eat in the morning at GE airport... Hours later in NY (banana long gone) and 'the little dog' you mention was dancing around my luggage as if it was his birthday! Unbelievable, that nose of his! :o) J.
Yumi... you're telling me! (No fruit etc)

Had a banana in my bag to eat in the morning at GE airport... Hours later in NY (banana long gone) and 'the little dog' you mention was dancing around my luggage as if it was his birthday! Unbelievable, that nose of his! :o) J.
JulianT, Feb 26, 2009 @ 23:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
remember. no liquids in your carry on.

also, IF you should DECLARE on the card no dairy etc. and they catch you with the cheese, they may detain you for hours and make your arrival quite unpleasant. besides, if you want to discover america's best cheese, look for Kraft Velveeta "cheese" . you're in for a real taste treat. :sick:

remember. no liquids in your carry on.

also, IF you should DECLARE on the card no dairy etc. and they catch you with the cheese, they may detain you for hours and make your arrival quite unpleasant. besides, if you want to discover america's best cheese, look for Kraft Velveeta "cheese" . you're in for a real taste treat. :sick:
epicure, Feb 27, 2009 @ 04:33

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Don't know about the import rules in the US, but my mother had to throw away a huge box of different cheeses she bought here, when flying back to Rome (Italy) because of the rules on liquid stuff in the carry-on luggage.

We discovered than that cheese is also considered 'liquid' because of its texture.

So, no cheese in the carry on luggage anyway.
Don't know about the import rules in the US, but my mother had to throw away a huge box of different cheeses she bought here, when flying back to Rome (Italy) because of the rules on liquid stuff in the carry-on luggage.

We discovered than that cheese is also considered 'liquid' because of its texture.

So, no cheese in the carry on luggage anyway.
Stef__Granny, Feb 27, 2009 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
hello

i've worked security at airport and can tell you exactly what cheeses you can or cannot take. any cheeses that are soft almost like paste ie vacherin, reblochon, brie and any other goats cheese etc.... you cant take it as hand luggage because it is considered too soft and then is equal to liquids and not aloud.

if you have any hard cheeses like gruyere or any other cheeses that are hard then there is no problem and you can take it in hand luggage.

one of the best ways to bring cheese around europe if you are not sure which one to get is just to buy the cheese you want from the caviar house duty free shop at the airport where you can purchase cheeses (any cheese soft or hard) even if a bit expensive but the duty free shop will seal it in a special bag with the receipt of purchase and you will be able to pass through security without a problem.

in any case if you really want to bring a lot of cheese or any special ones (hard or soft) to family or friends the best way is to put it in your luggage that goes in the under carriage of the plane.

everything i've just written apply's to security rules in europe. as to what you are aloud or not in america dont know the rules
hello

i've worked security at airport and can tell you exactly what cheeses you can or cannot take. any cheeses that are soft almost like paste ie vacherin, reblochon, brie and any other goats cheese etc.... you cant take it as hand luggage because it is considered too soft and then is equal to liquids and not aloud.

if you have any hard cheeses like gruyere or any other cheeses that are hard then there is no problem and you can take it in hand luggage.

one of the best ways to bring cheese around europe if you are not sure which one to get is just to buy the cheese you want from the caviar house duty free shop at the airport where you can purchase cheeses (any cheese soft or hard) even if a bit expensive but the duty free shop will seal it in a special bag with the receipt of purchase and you will be able to pass through security without a problem.

in any case if you really want to bring a lot of cheese or any special ones (hard or soft) to family or friends the best way is to put it in your luggage that goes in the under carriage of the plane.

everything i've just written apply's to security rules in europe. as to what you are aloud or not in america dont know the rules
David P, Feb 27, 2009 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Super thanks everybody.

I think Epicure hit the nail right on the head with the getting detained for hours business. I'm not going to NY but will (hopefully) clear immigration there, before catching a flight to California. The wait is two hours or so, so after the queueing and the getting told off, and being told one thousand time that 'I'm tired and I forgot I had it' is not an excuse that washes, I may not have time to do the necessary blah blah blah.

So I have a new question, for which I will change size and colour: what is something really good to eat that you can't get in California but you can get here that doesn't contain meat, dairy, or fruit?
Super thanks everybody.

I think Epicure hit the nail right on the head with the getting detained for hours business. I'm not going to NY but will (hopefully) clear immigration there, before catching a flight to California. The wait is two hours or so, so after the queueing and the getting told off, and being told one thousand time that 'I'm tired and I forgot I had it' is not an excuse that washes, I may not have time to do the necessary blah blah blah.

So I have a new question, for which I will change size and colour: what is something really good to eat that you can't get in California but you can get here that doesn't contain meat, dairy, or fruit?
hayes, Mar 1, 2009 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
hmmm....i had to think about that one ....

it sounds like a Who wants to be a millionaire question.....

although I think it's "gross"..how about some good old Cenovis (some god awful spread that looks like vegemite) or some chocolate from Tristan shop in Monts-sur-rolle....

hmmm....i had to think about that one ....

it sounds like a Who wants to be a millionaire question.....

although I think it's "gross"..how about some good old Cenovis (some god awful spread that looks like vegemite) or some chocolate from Tristan shop in Monts-sur-rolle....
divagirl, Mar 1, 2009 @ 20:32

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Heh, divagirl it wasn't a riddle! But a genuine request for advice. But thanks :)

More flashes of genius will follow. Riiiiiiiight now! GO!
Heh, divagirl it wasn't a riddle! But a genuine request for advice. But thanks :)

More flashes of genius will follow. Riiiiiiiight now! GO!
hayes, Mar 1, 2009 @ 20:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
...i'd like to phone a friend.......
in california :D:D:D
...i'd like to phone a friend.......