Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Can a non Swiss buy a one year half fare card?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Can a non Swiss buy a one year half fare card?
I'm a U.S. citizen.
I know there are cards that are good for 1,2,or 3 years but have never seen how to purchase one. My Swiss friend thinks they may be for Swiss citizens only, while foreigners are welcome to buy a monthly card for 99CHF.
I would like to buy a one year card for 150CHF.
Anybody ever made such a purchase? Details, please.
Thanks for any help.
Andy
The text you are quoting:
I'm a U.S. citizen.
I know there are cards that are good for 1,2,or 3 years but have never seen how to purchase one. My Swiss friend thinks they may be for Swiss citizens only, while foreigners are welcome to buy a monthly card for 99CHF.
I would like to buy a one year card for 150CHF.
Anybody ever made such a purchase? Details, please.
Thanks for any help.
Andy
AndyRJul 5, 2010 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 4825 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Can a non Swiss buy a one year half fare card?
Post 1

Hi Andy I did buy one a few months back and I am Spanish, so no worries, it's 150chf valid for a year, all you need is a picture on the date of purchase!  And it is definitely worthwhile so go for it!  Have fun travelling around Switzerland Laughing

Hi Andy I did buy one a few months back and I am Spanish, so no worries, it's 150chf valid for a year, all you need is a picture on the date of purchase!  And it is definitely worthwhile so go for it!  Have fun travelling around Switzerland Laughing

Pili, Jul 5, 2010 @ 23:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Pili,

Did you go to Cornavin, buy online, or... ??

Thanks much.

Andy

Hi Pili,

Did you go to Cornavin, buy online, or... ??

Thanks much.

Andy

AndyR, Jul 5, 2010 @ 23:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I have the credit card one. Took a picture with me and my permit and when to the travel agents next to the tickets on the airport station. There have forms to complete there. Its definetely worth it

I have the credit card one. Took a picture with me and my permit and when to the travel agents next to the tickets on the airport station. There have forms to complete there. Its definetely worth it

Maria_, Jul 5, 2010 @ 23:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Maria,

What do you mean by "the credit card one"?

How many different types are there?

Must I have a permit to buy a one year card? Pili did not mention a permit.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Andy

Hi Maria,

What do you mean by "the credit card one"?

How many different types are there?

Must I have a permit to buy a one year card? Pili did not mention a permit.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Andy

AndyR, Jul 5, 2010 @ 23:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Basically is a credit card that can also be used as a half fare card. I needed my permit for that. I dont know if with the normal one you dont need it but go ask at the station to be sure. Most of the people there speak english

Basically is a credit card that can also be used as a half fare card. I needed my permit for that. I dont know if with the normal one you dont need it but go ask at the station to be sure. Most of the people there speak english

Maria_, Jul 6, 2010 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I've just got the 1-year 'demi-tarif', regular one without credit card.

i'm not swiss as well. All you need is a photo and a mailing address.

you can get 50% discount straight away on your next ticket. But the card itself will be mailed to you within a week.

you definitely can get it in ticket office at cornavin

Alena

I've just got the 1-year 'demi-tarif', regular one without credit card.

i'm not swiss as well. All you need is a photo and a mailing address.

you can get 50% discount straight away on your next ticket. But the card itself will be mailed to you within a week.

you definitely can get it in ticket office at cornavin

Alena

Alena A, Jul 6, 2010 @ 00:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Also can get it at balexert, I am a U.S. citizen, getting the half-fare card was easy, and DEFINITELY worth it!!! 

The credit card is your personal option. I already have one so I avoided it. Instead I got a deal by getting the two year card instead of the one year card. However, that depends on how long you think you'll be here.

Also can get it at balexert, I am a U.S. citizen, getting the half-fare card was easy, and DEFINITELY worth it!!! 

The credit card is your personal option. I already have one so I avoided it. Instead I got a deal by getting the two year card instead of the one year card. However, that depends on how long you think you'll be here.

pnaik, Jul 6, 2010 @ 01:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You definitely need to show your permit in order to get the half tax card as I just recently got one.

You definitely need to show your permit in order to get the half tax card as I just recently got one.

Nadia R, Jul 6, 2010 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

They'll give it to anyone. No need for a permit. One of my friends was visiting me for a week and he got himself the half-price card. He was just using the temporary paper one, and his real card was sent to him in Germany after he had returned home.

They'll give it to anyone. No need for a permit. One of my friends was visiting me for a week and he got himself the half-price card. He was just using the temporary paper one, and his real card was sent to him in Germany after he had returned home.

Jouni, Jul 6, 2010 @ 10:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

sure you can! we have our half fare card bought it at cornavin. the guy asked for our passport, dont know why he did not ask for our permit.

just go at the cornavin station. It will save you a lot.

sure you can! we have our half fare card bought it at cornavin. the guy asked for our passport, dont know why he did not ask for our permit.

just go at the cornavin station. It will save you a lot.

lota v, Jul 6, 2010 @ 11:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

and oh yeah we got the 1 year for 150 CHF

and oh yeah we got the 1 year for 150 CHF

lota v, Jul 6, 2010 @ 11:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I have some questions regarding the half-fare card. 

1. I just bought a half-fare card. Does the card allow me to buy the annual tickets (650 CHFs) at half price?

2. If I buy a single trip within GE, it usually cost 3 CHFs, with the half-fare card, how much I am supposed to pay? I checked the machine, the reduced fare is 2.2 CHFs. Is this it? 

3. My children have junior cards. If they travel by themselves within GE, do they pay 2.2, not half-price for a single trip? 

Thanks for helping me.

1. I just bought a half-fare card. Does the card allow me to buy the annual tickets (650 CHFs) at half price?

2. If I buy a single trip within GE, it usually cost 3 CHFs, with the half-fare card, how much I am supposed to pay? I checked the machine, the reduced fare is 2.2 CHFs. Is this it? 

3. My children have junior cards. If they travel by themselves within GE, do they pay 2.2, not half-price for a single trip? 

Thanks for helping me.

wonder, Jul 6, 2010 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks for helping me.

Jul 6, 10 11:51

Some answers:

1. If you are speaking about the annual bus pass unfortunately not :(

2. Yes

3. I think yes

Some answers:

1. If you are speaking about the annual bus pass unfortunately not :(

2. Yes

3. I think yes

Maria_, Jul 6, 2010 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thanks Maria. So the half-fare travelcard is more beneficial only when you travel within Switzerland? 

Thanks Maria. So the half-fare travelcard is more beneficial only when you travel within Switzerland? 

wonder, Jul 6, 2010 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Andy - The basic annual "demi-tariff/halftax" card gives you 1/2 price rail and boat travel in the whole of Switzerland.  Like anything, if you buy it for longer (2 years, 3 years) its proportionally cheaper.

You can either buy it at the station (easiest) or online.

All you need is a passport photo, (or 2 just in case), 150 chuffs and some ID (as the card is not transferable) - that's it.

You don't need to show your permit or passport and you don't need a permanent address.

If you don't have a mailing address, you can pick it up at the station and they will give you a receipt/proof of purchase which you can use in the meantime.

The credit card is a whole different ball game, as Maria_ has already confirmed.

Hope that helps sort out some of the conflicting posts :-)

Andy - The basic annual "demi-tariff/halftax" card gives you 1/2 price rail and boat travel in the whole of Switzerland.  Like anything, if you buy it for longer (2 years, 3 years) its proportionally cheaper.

You can either buy it at the station (easiest) or online.

All you need is a passport photo, (or 2 just in case), 150 chuffs and some ID (as the card is not transferable) - that's it.

You don't need to show your permit or passport and you don't need a permanent address.

If you don't have a mailing address, you can pick it up at the station and they will give you a receipt/proof of purchase which you can use in the meantime.

The credit card is a whole different ball game, as Maria_ has already confirmed.

Hope that helps sort out some of the conflicting posts :-)

Carolyn C, Jul 6, 2010 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jul 6, 10 13:10

Yeap.

Yeap.

Maria_, Jul 6, 2010 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Does anyone know if the half fare card allows me to by the monthly public transportation in Geneva (Unireso, usually a month is 70 CHF) with discount as well? Thank you!

Does anyone know if the half fare card allows me to by the monthly public transportation in Geneva (Unireso, usually a month is 70 CHF) with discount as well? Thank you!

Lucas Queiroz Pires, Aug 19, 2016 @ 10:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Aug 19, 16 10:21

Hi Lucas,

In my experience no, it doesn't work for the monthly TPG travel pass. But if you buy a daily ticket from the machines at the stop you can use the demi tariff against that. 

Just FYI if you plan to be around a while (more than 7 months) the annual TPG pass is well worth the investment it's only CHF500 for the year. http://www.tpg.ch/renouvellement-abonnement 

Hope that helps,

BCRover

Hi Lucas,

In my experience no, it doesn't work for the monthly TPG travel pass. But if you buy a daily ticket from the machines at the stop you can use the demi tariff against that. 

Just FYI if you plan to be around a while (more than 7 months) the annual TPG pass is well worth the investment it's only CHF500 for the year. http://www.tpg.ch/renouvellement-abonnement 

Hope that helps,

BCRover

BCROVER, Aug 19, 2016 @ 10:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 4825 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form