Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > December trought Iceland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
December trought Iceland

Hey everyone !

I was thinking about a road trip trough Iceland in december, mainly to chase some aurora like this :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icelandaurora/5091383016/in/photostream/

Did someone made that kind of trip ?
How are the roads in winter as I thought about a self driving tour ?
On this site, I could get a trip plan with car and accomodation, anyone knows it ? My estimation was around 2'500 Frs (600 for flight, 1'500 for car/accomodation if we are 2, + extras), should I prepare more for meals and fuel ?
http://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/winter-self-drive-tours/iceland-full-circle-winter/862/
In case none of my friends are interessted/available, let me know if you would be interessted Wink

Thanks for any advice, cheers !
Pika

The text you are quoting:

Hey everyone !

I was thinking about a road trip trough Iceland in december, mainly to chase some aurora like this :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icelandaurora/5091383016/in/photostream/

Did someone made that kind of trip ?
How are the roads in winter as I thought about a self driving tour ?
On this site, I could get a trip plan with car and accomodation, anyone knows it ? My estimation was around 2'500 Frs (600 for flight, 1'500 for car/accomodation if we are 2, + extras), should I prepare more for meals and fuel ?
http://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/winter-self-drive-tours/iceland-full-circle-winter/862/
In case none of my friends are interessted/available, let me know if you would be interessted Wink

Thanks for any advice, cheers !
Pika

PikaNov 27, 2013 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1237 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: December trought Iceland
Post 1

Iceland wasnt cheap when I went.  It was 2008 so pre crisis.  If I remember well you have red roads, these are cool and normal roads, you then have brown roads which are fairly close to off roading, then there are dotted brown roads, we never made it on to these!

I had 3 punctures there in a 4x4.  to tackle anything more than red roads you need the balloon tires.  def check pressure correct and you can undo the wheel nuts before leaving the city, needless to say be savy on changing a tire.

Not to put you off.  Iceland is amazing and its a great trip.  very different landscape and just incredable.  the blown tires are all part of the storys and tales to tell when you get back.  everyone does a driving trip there so you wnt be alone.

If you want more info feel free to contact me. 

Iceland wasnt cheap when I went.  It was 2008 so pre crisis.  If I remember well you have red roads, these are cool and normal roads, you then have brown roads which are fairly close to off roading, then there are dotted brown roads, we never made it on to these!

I had 3 punctures there in a 4x4.  to tackle anything more than red roads you need the balloon tires.  def check pressure correct and you can undo the wheel nuts before leaving the city, needless to say be savy on changing a tire.

Not to put you off.  Iceland is amazing and its a great trip.  very different landscape and just incredable.  the blown tires are all part of the storys and tales to tell when you get back.  everyone does a driving trip there so you wnt be alone.

If you want more info feel free to contact me. 

peaky, Nov 28, 2013 @ 10:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: December trought Iceland
Post 2

Wow, three punctures ?! Good to know that the car rental offices offers 24/7 service. Thanks for you advices.

Wow, three punctures ?! Good to know that the car rental offices offers 24/7 service. Thanks for you advices.

Pika, Dec 2, 2013 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1237 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form