Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Driving in Poland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Driving in Poland

Hello! 

I will take a road trip back to Geneva from Finland. I was thinking about taking a ferry over to Tallin, and start driving from there through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech and Germany.

But I would like to know more about driving through Poland as I´ve never been there and just heard a lot of stories about it.

How are the roads, is it safe, what do you need in your car (Swiss car) to do it (fire extinguisher, safety vest etc...)? 

Pomi

The text you are quoting:

Hello! 

I will take a road trip back to Geneva from Finland. I was thinking about taking a ferry over to Tallin, and start driving from there through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech and Germany.

But I would like to know more about driving through Poland as I´ve never been there and just heard a lot of stories about it.

How are the roads, is it safe, what do you need in your car (Swiss car) to do it (fire extinguisher, safety vest etc...)? 

Pomi

pomi76Aug 20, 2014 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2062 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Driving in Poland
Post 1

Hello! 

Pomi

Aug 20, 14 17:58

Hi there. The closer you get to Warsaw and further to the south-west the roads get better. The worst part is from the border to Białystok. You can count on lots of traffic and lots of lorries. If you don't have to, don't travel on your own. But usually it is safe enough. I've driven throughout Poland many times alone, and never had any stories. Beware of the police, as they love to stop foreign cars (just like Swiss police do). It's not a rule, but happens a lot. Apart from the fire extinguisher and safety vest, you also have to have a triangle (not sure if correct word - the one you set up in case of a breakdown of a car), and a first aid kit.

Hope that helps.

Anna

Hi there. The closer you get to Warsaw and further to the south-west the roads get better. The worst part is from the border to Białystok. You can count on lots of traffic and lots of lorries. If you don't have to, don't travel on your own. But usually it is safe enough. I've driven throughout Poland many times alone, and never had any stories. Beware of the police, as they love to stop foreign cars (just like Swiss police do). It's not a rule, but happens a lot. Apart from the fire extinguisher and safety vest, you also have to have a triangle (not sure if correct word - the one you set up in case of a breakdown of a car), and a first aid kit.

Hope that helps.

Anna

Anna S, Aug 21, 2014 @ 02:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I drive few times in Poland with local rental cars, and one time i cross poland  with my own car to go in the North cap (from Geneva... 9800km...) but never had any problem, roads are not perfect everywhere, but more than correct condition.

Philippe

I drive few times in Poland with local rental cars, and one time i cross poland  with my own car to go in the North cap (from Geneva... 9800km...) but never had any problem, roads are not perfect everywhere, but more than correct condition.

Philippe

Philippe B, Aug 21, 2014 @ 22:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi,

It's the matter of benchamark.  I've been driving couple of times from Moscow to Warsaw and everytime I was very happy to finally cross the Polish border... But I always enjoy to drive through Germany or Austria :)

Anyway, don't believe in stories. A lot has changed in the last 15 years.

There are more and more really good roads in Poland, some new motorways so it depends what roads you choose and if you want to stop somewhere or just drive quickly to the destination. I'll be driving from Warsaw to Geneva in September and I'll take the motorway which goes west  directly to Germany. The road to Czech is still not that good after 100km from Warsaw and under construction. If you travel from the Baltics the worst part is from the border to Bialystok as Anna says but is is rather short distance.

If you need some more details, just let me know!

Maciej

Hi,

It's the matter of benchamark.  I've been driving couple of times from Moscow to Warsaw and everytime I was very happy to finally cross the Polish border... But I always enjoy to drive through Germany or Austria :)

Anyway, don't believe in stories. A lot has changed in the last 15 years.

There are more and more really good roads in Poland, some new motorways so it depends what roads you choose and if you want to stop somewhere or just drive quickly to the destination. I'll be driving from Warsaw to Geneva in September and I'll take the motorway which goes west  directly to Germany. The road to Czech is still not that good after 100km from Warsaw and under construction. If you travel from the Baltics the worst part is from the border to Bialystok as Anna says but is is rather short distance.

If you need some more details, just let me know!

Maciej

Maciej P, Aug 21, 2014 @ 22:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

And what choice does he have (when it comes to roads), while driving from the border to Białystok? I come from that city, and have never heard of another way (No 8), but all the LT,LV lorries which drive one after another on a one lane (each direction road), are not funny sometimes. No one was scaring him, I only wrote what it looks like on a daily basis. 

Anna

And what choice does he have (when it comes to roads), while driving from the border to Białystok? I come from that city, and have never heard of another way (No 8), but all the LT,LV lorries which drive one after another on a one lane (each direction road), are not funny sometimes. No one was scaring him, I only wrote what it looks like on a daily basis. 

Anna

Anna S, Aug 21, 2014 @ 23:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

And as Maciej said, I'd also drive through Germany, as driving through Austria requires driving through Czech Republic which is not perfect either. Once you're in Warsaw it's pretty easy.

And as Maciej said, I'd also drive through Germany, as driving through Austria requires driving through Czech Republic which is not perfect either. Once you're in Warsaw it's pretty easy.

Anna S, Aug 21, 2014 @ 23:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Pomi I'm so happy that you are going to be in Poland one way or another. Are you planning to stop along the way? Maybe in Warsaw?! You will love the Baltic Sea and all the landscape :-) 

but you have us, all your polish friends and you didn't want to ask us directly?!!! Common ;-)

come out with us for a drink Aga and I will tell you everything you need to know before you go to Poland ;-)

Pomi I'm so happy that you are going to be in Poland one way or another. Are you planning to stop along the way? Maybe in Warsaw?! You will love the Baltic Sea and all the landscape :-) 

but you have us, all your polish friends and you didn't want to ask us directly?!!! Common ;-)

come out with us for a drink Aga and I will tell you everything you need to know before you go to Poland ;-)

Natalie W, Aug 22, 2014 @ 09:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Haha, sorry Natalie, just wanted to ask a general opinion :) And I´m in Finland now, leaving tomorrow towards Geneva so can´t have a drink first. But I´ll tell you all about the trip when we are back in G. And we are planning to spend some time and at least one night some where in Poland. Tomorrow we take the ferry to Tallin and we´ll drive to Kaunas and spend the first night there. Then Poland and some where there. Haven´t planned any further than that...

And thanks everyone for you tips and opinions, I appreciate it! Looking forward for Via Baltica trip starting tomorrow!

Haha, sorry Natalie, just wanted to ask a general opinion :) And I´m in Finland now, leaving tomorrow towards Geneva so can´t have a drink first. But I´ll tell you all about the trip when we are back in G. And we are planning to spend some time and at least one night some where in Poland. Tomorrow we take the ferry to Tallin and we´ll drive to Kaunas and spend the first night there. Then Poland and some where there. Haven´t planned any further than that...

And thanks everyone for you tips and opinions, I appreciate it! Looking forward for Via Baltica trip starting tomorrow!

pomi76, Aug 24, 2014 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2062 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form