Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > First timer with lottsa questionsssss

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
First timer with lottsa questionsssss

Hey there,

I arrive on 6th of Feb and there only for 7 weeks - so the starters questions are: Do I take a transportation pass, if yes then which one? What are the areas to stay close to Rue Rothchilds (University of Geneva)? Best sim card for this duration? Can I open a bank account? And ofcourse not to mention, any other uselful information will always be welcome :-)

Thanks in advance for helping me out, like I would do as well :-)

Cheers

Anu

The text you are quoting:

Hey there,

I arrive on 6th of Feb and there only for 7 weeks - so the starters questions are: Do I take a transportation pass, if yes then which one? What are the areas to stay close to Rue Rothchilds (University of Geneva)? Best sim card for this duration? Can I open a bank account? And ofcourse not to mention, any other uselful information will always be welcome :-)

Thanks in advance for helping me out, like I would do as well :-)

Cheers

Anu

Anuradha MundraJan 30, 2016 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1640 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: First timer with lottsa questionsssss
Post 1

Hi Anu,

for transportation, I would recommend the tpg monthly pass. It allows limitless travel on the trams and buses. If I recall correctly, it costs ~70 chf.

For SIM, I have heard people buy Sunrise prepayed cards just to get going. But I am not sure whether that is the "best" option.

Hi Anu,

for transportation, I would recommend the tpg monthly pass. It allows limitless travel on the trams and buses. If I recall correctly, it costs ~70 chf.

For SIM, I have heard people buy Sunrise prepayed cards just to get going. But I am not sure whether that is the "best" option.

Sima B, Feb 3, 2016 @ 09:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

For 7 weeks you do not need a bank account. About where to stay you really dont get to choose that. Accommodation is hard enough to get. Try finding out if the residence universitaire has places. Sim card you can buy any prepayed card. Sunrise, salt, lebara, swisscom, ortel; mucho, lyca. If you will call abroad a lot then avoid swisscom, sunrise and salt and take one of the rest.

For 7 weeks you do not need a bank account. About where to stay you really dont get to choose that. Accommodation is hard enough to get. Try finding out if the residence universitaire has places. Sim card you can buy any prepayed card. Sunrise, salt, lebara, swisscom, ortel; mucho, lyca. If you will call abroad a lot then avoid swisscom, sunrise and salt and take one of the rest.

Marcy S, Feb 3, 2016 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For proximity, the top end of the Pâquis area is the nearest housing bet but Marcy is right, you have to take what you can find at such short notice for a short stay.

Why not check the ads in the Classifieds under “Housing available” and post your own ad. in “Housing wanted”?

One other tip:  bring an adequate

supply of regular medication and favourite toiletries.  You can buy most anything here but the cost is much higher than in the US.

Best wishes, R.

For proximity, the top end of the Pâquis area is the nearest housing bet but Marcy is right, you have to take what you can find at such short notice for a short stay.

Why not check the ads in the Classifieds under “Housing available” and post your own ad. in “Housing wanted”?

One other tip:  bring an adequate

supply of regular medication and favourite toiletries.  You can buy most anything here but the cost is much higher than in the US.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Feb 3, 2016 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Dear Sima, Marcy and Ritchie

Thanks a ton for the the feedback....and I have made note of it all. Was trying to figure out the localities as I know what my preferences could be when I go through many of those rental adds. 

Since I have single entry visa, it eliminates options of staying in France. 

I arrive Saturday afternoon, and thanks again to help me prepare..:-)

Anu

Dear Sima, Marcy and Ritchie

Thanks a ton for the the feedback....and I have made note of it all. Was trying to figure out the localities as I know what my preferences could be when I go through many of those rental adds. 

Since I have single entry visa, it eliminates options of staying in France. 

I arrive Saturday afternoon, and thanks again to help me prepare..:-)

Anu

Anuradha Mundra, Feb 4, 2016 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1640 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form