Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Flying with Dog - Help!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Flying with Dog - Help!

Hi All, I am pretty new to this site. My husband and I will be moving, with our pug Pepe, from NYC to Geneva some time this summer for his work. Pepe does not meet the in-cabin restriction of being under 20 lbs (he is 23.5 and at 8 years old, unlikely to lose much of that), but being a pug-nosed dog, most airlines will not take him as excess baggage or cargo. We really do not want to fly him using those options anyway as he's kind of a fragile guy. We would buy him a business class seat if it meant we could easily take him on board with us, but I am not sure this is possible. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks! Betsy

The text you are quoting:

Hi All, I am pretty new to this site. My husband and I will be moving, with our pug Pepe, from NYC to Geneva some time this summer for his work. Pepe does not meet the in-cabin restriction of being under 20 lbs (he is 23.5 and at 8 years old, unlikely to lose much of that), but being a pug-nosed dog, most airlines will not take him as excess baggage or cargo. We really do not want to fly him using those options anyway as he's kind of a fragile guy. We would buy him a business class seat if it meant we could easily take him on board with us, but I am not sure this is possible. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks! Betsy

Betsy Marzahn-RamosMar 7, 12 00:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 539 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Flying with Dog - Help!
Post 1

well if he is too heavy then it's only possible to fly him as animal in hold. no other option. you can buy all the seats in business class, he still would not be able to fly in the cabin.

well if he is too heavy then it's only possible to fly him as animal in hold. no other option. you can buy all the seats in business class, he still would not be able to fly in the cabin.

Evelyn C, Mar 7, 12 11:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you can afford to buy a dog a business class seat, why not cme over on as cruise liner (if they take dogs) - much more pleasant

If you can afford to buy a dog a business class seat, why not cme over on as cruise liner (if they take dogs) - much more pleasant

Paul E, Mar 7, 12 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

"Flying with Dog - Help!"

trying to visualize that...

konstantinos, Mar 7, 12 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Mar 7, 12 12:45

This should help you visualize...Laughing

This should help you visualize...Laughing

Rich, Mar 7, 12 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Betsy,

I don't know of any airline that would accept your dog, specifically because of his type. Would you consider shipping him? There are agencies that might accomodate your needs, IE; http://www.animalsaway.com

Best of luck,

KEN/// 

Hi Betsy,

I don't know of any airline that would accept your dog, specifically because of his type. Would you consider shipping him? There are agencies that might accomodate your needs, IE; http://www.animalsaway.com

Best of luck,

KEN/// 

intlrep1, Mar 7, 12 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Damn You Rich... you beat me too it.....

Damn You Rich... you beat me too it.....

Charlie, Mar 7, 12 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Mar 7, 12 12:11

Does Switzerland have a deep water port?

Does Switzerland have a deep water port?

Charlie, Mar 7, 12 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Betsy, 

When we moved to Geneva, we also brought a pet Pug.  Since he was also too big for in cabin travel, he traveled underneath the plane in the special pet hold.  I typically use United and Continental, so I know for a fact that they will take him, so do not fret.  My comments will be based on my experience traveling with United/Continental.

Things to think about:

Airlines only carry a few pets on each plane.  You need to quickly let the airline know that he is coming so they can reserve his space.  

Pugs, and other dogs with short noses, cannot fly in the summer.  United forbids short nose breeds from 1 June through 31 September (triple check with your airline).  There are no work arounds on this.  Make your arrangements quickly to avoid this problem.

He will require a "ticket", basically a payment to the airlines to bring him. Expect a couple hundred USD on Continental.

He will need to be a hard plastic case that he can sit down, lay down, and turn around in.  This case would also need to have a water tray.  The airline website will give you the correct dimensions.  Get one from PetSmart.

You will need to be at the airport extra early to get his situated, the website will tell you.  

He will need significant health records for BOTH entry on the plane as well as entry into Switzerland.  Call your airline or search on the website for both and make sure your veternarian start to get him ready.  This will include him getting an electronic chip placed underneath his skin.  See the Swiss instructions: http://www.bvet.admin.ch/themen/01614/01884/index.html?lang=en

SPECIAL NOTE: Do not try to give him any "relaxing" drugs, natural or not because when you land in Switzerland, he will be taken to a special area at the airport for processing and screening.  He will be thoroughly inspected and if he does not pass their test, they will either force you to send him back or he will be destroyed by them on the spot.  I am not kidding.  The Swiss customs people are not sympathetic on how you feel about your pet.  He will either pass their test or not.  

Be patient: I spent a lot of time going between offices at the cargo building, so try to be patient and calm.  If your dog sees you and you are nervous, he may get nervous (re-read the point above). You will also have to pay another fee here (I forgot how much).  

All of this processing after you land will take at least one hour, so keep that in mind as you organize your transportation from Geneva Airport to your home.  If you use a taxi, there is an option on paying by the hour, so consider that versus letting the meter run.

After getting your pet home and relaxed, get back in touch with us and let's get our pugs together!  

Remember: Every time you come back and forth through Geneva Airport with your pet, you will have to do the same thing, so write me later and we can exchange kennel information for when you travel.

Welcome to Geneva!

Hi Betsy, 

When we moved to Geneva, we also brought a pet Pug.  Since he was also too big for in cabin travel, he traveled underneath the plane in the special pet hold.  I typically use United and Continental, so I know for a fact that they will take him, so do not fret.  My comments will be based on my experience traveling with United/Continental.

Things to think about:

Airlines only carry a few pets on each plane.  You need to quickly let the airline know that he is coming so they can reserve his space.  

Pugs, and other dogs with short noses, cannot fly in the summer.  United forbids short nose breeds from 1 June through 31 September (triple check with your airline).  There are no work arounds on this.  Make your arrangements quickly to avoid this problem.

He will require a "ticket", basically a payment to the airlines to bring him. Expect a couple hundred USD on Continental.

He will need to be a hard plastic case that he can sit down, lay down, and turn around in.  This case would also need to have a water tray.  The airline website will give you the correct dimensions.  Get one from PetSmart.

You will need to be at the airport extra early to get his situated, the website will tell you.  

He will need significant health records for BOTH entry on the plane as well as entry into Switzerland.  Call your airline or search on the website for both and make sure your veternarian start to get him ready.  This will include him getting an electronic chip placed underneath his skin.  See the Swiss instructions: http://www.bvet.admin.ch/themen/01614/01884/index.html?lang=en

SPECIAL NOTE: Do not try to give him any "relaxing" drugs, natural or not because when you land in Switzerland, he will be taken to a special area at the airport for processing and screening.  He will be thoroughly inspected and if he does not pass their test, they will either force you to send him back or he will be destroyed by them on the spot.  I am not kidding.  The Swiss customs people are not sympathetic on how you feel about your pet.  He will either pass their test or not.  

Be patient: I spent a lot of time going between offices at the cargo building, so try to be patient and calm.  If your dog sees you and you are nervous, he may get nervous (re-read the point above). You will also have to pay another fee here (I forgot how much).  

All of this processing after you land will take at least one hour, so keep that in mind as you organize your transportation from Geneva Airport to your home.  If you use a taxi, there is an option on paying by the hour, so consider that versus letting the meter run.

After getting your pet home and relaxed, get back in touch with us and let's get our pugs together!  

Remember: Every time you come back and forth through Geneva Airport with your pet, you will have to do the same thing, so write me later and we can exchange kennel information for when you travel.

Welcome to Geneva!

Todd H, Mar 7, 12 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Betsy, 

I flew my 7 month kitten over from Singapore just a couple of weeks ago and I totally understand your concerns about placing your pet on hold. I had no choice as it was a long flight and I did a whole load of research on the most animal friendly airline which turned out to be KLM. Now, I am not sure if they fly directly to Europe from the States but its worth taking a transit at Amsterdam Schiphol as they have an excellent transit pet hotel which will check on your pet, take it for walks and feed it after a long flight. There is also a vet on site to ensure he/she is fit to continue the rest of the journey; which is a great assurance. 

My cat totally survived the 20 hour duress in glee and I was more stressed than she was. Flying on hold wasn't bad at all, as the animal usually goes into sleep mode after barking/meowing insanely during take off!

As for pug or short nose pets on hold, the best person to advice is your vet and the airline itself. My cat has a slight respiratory problem but the vet gave the green light to travel at high altitude. She was fine, and still fine! 

Make sure you get a large sky kennel for your pug - the bigger the better (check the allowed dimensions with the airline) as apparently it causes less stress for the pet which will in turn affect the breathing. (I got these tips from the internet, so worth googling for extra travel tips!) 

Hope this helps and good luck. I am sure all will be fine. I was a nervous wreck to the point of crying as soon as I handed over my kitten to the check in -  and spent the whole flight freaking out like a maniac but once you see your pet arrive at the Geneva baggage claims hall (in a driven vehicle.. lucky thing) its the best feeling in the world, making all that anxiety worthwhile.  

Hi Betsy, 

I flew my 7 month kitten over from Singapore just a couple of weeks ago and I totally understand your concerns about placing your pet on hold. I had no choice as it was a long flight and I did a whole load of research on the most animal friendly airline which turned out to be KLM. Now, I am not sure if they fly directly to Europe from the States but its worth taking a transit at Amsterdam Schiphol as they have an excellent transit pet hotel which will check on your pet, take it for walks and feed it after a long flight. There is also a vet on site to ensure he/she is fit to continue the rest of the journey; which is a great assurance. 

My cat totally survived the 20 hour duress in glee and I was more stressed than she was. Flying on hold wasn't bad at all, as the animal usually goes into sleep mode after barking/meowing insanely during take off!

As for pug or short nose pets on hold, the best person to advice is your vet and the airline itself. My cat has a slight respiratory problem but the vet gave the green light to travel at high altitude. She was fine, and still fine! 

Make sure you get a large sky kennel for your pug - the bigger the better (check the allowed dimensions with the airline) as apparently it causes less stress for the pet which will in turn affect the breathing. (I got these tips from the internet, so worth googling for extra travel tips!) 

Hope this helps and good luck. I am sure all will be fine. I was a nervous wreck to the point of crying as soon as I handed over my kitten to the check in -  and spent the whole flight freaking out like a maniac but once you see your pet arrive at the Geneva baggage claims hall (in a driven vehicle.. lucky thing) its the best feeling in the world, making all that anxiety worthwhile.  

Lyn S, Mar 8, 12 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi I can help :o) You have mail.

Wendi

Hi I can help :o) You have mail.

Wendi

wendi4y, Mar 9, 12 07:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

You could sail over from NYC to England on Cunard's liner, the QM2. The voyage takes 6 nights and there are (very well-equipped) kennels on board for your pooch. Thereafter, you could travel by rail / road from England to Switzerland.

It will take a week, but it really is a nice way to travel. The ship itself is a once in a lifetime experience, and arriving in Europe without a hint of jetlag is a real treat. Lastly, don't assume that it will be more expensive than flying. Last year I did a transatlantic voyage to NYC, and flew back to UK for less than the cost of a regular economy airfare.

You could sail over from NYC to England on Cunard's liner, the QM2. The voyage takes 6 nights and there are (very well-equipped) kennels on board for your pooch. Thereafter, you could travel by rail / road from England to Switzerland.

It will take a week, but it really is a nice way to travel. The ship itself is a once in a lifetime experience, and arriving in Europe without a hint of jetlag is a real treat. Lastly, don't assume that it will be more expensive than flying. Last year I did a transatlantic voyage to NYC, and flew back to UK for less than the cost of a regular economy airfare.

Neil M, Sep 27, 12 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 539 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form