Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Help... travel advice in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Help... travel advice in Switzerland
Hi all,

I have some friends coming to visit me soon and I need advice on where to take them. I don't have a car so I'm limited to public transport and one of my friends suffers from vertigo so I think cable cars are out of the question:) I've been told that Interlaken, Lucerne and Chamonix are great places to show people the "real" Switzerland. I've never been to any of these places so it would be great to hear about them or any other advice.

Thank you,

Offalygirl

The text you are quoting:
Hi all,

I have some friends coming to visit me soon and I need advice on where to take them. I don't have a car so I'm limited to public transport and one of my friends suffers from vertigo so I think cable cars are out of the question:) I've been told that Interlaken, Lucerne and Chamonix are great places to show people the "real" Switzerland. I've never been to any of these places so it would be great to hear about them or any other advice.

Thank you,

Offalygirl
OffalygirlAug 4, 2008 @ 19:19

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1179 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Help... travel advice in Switzerland
Post 1
Hi tinkie,

I have day trips to France on my mind as well (hence the confusion:)) and I was told that Annecy was really lovely. Was thinking about heading there on the Sunday, any advice?

What I want to do is take them to places that are conveniently located close to Geneva (max. 3/3.5 hrs. away by train; 2 hrs by bus). They want to see the typical Swiss countryside but, as I haven't ventured too far into the countryside myself and, keeping in mind one of them suffers from vertigo, its a bit difficult arranging day trips.

I'm unsure about Chamonix. I've looked it up and I see that I can take the Montenvers train but is it really worth going there if we don't get the cable car all the way up? I dunno.

Can you recommend any other day trips in Switzerland that will keep my friends occupied for 3/4 days?

Thanks,

Offfalygirl

Hi tinkie,

I have day trips to France on my mind as well (hence the confusion:)) and I was told that Annecy was really lovely. Was thinking about heading there on the Sunday, any advice?

What I want to do is take them to places that are conveniently located close to Geneva (max. 3/3.5 hrs. away by train; 2 hrs by bus). They want to see the typical Swiss countryside but, as I haven't ventured too far into the countryside myself and, keeping in mind one of them suffers from vertigo, its a bit difficult arranging day trips.

I'm unsure about Chamonix. I've looked it up and I see that I can take the Montenvers train but is it really worth going there if we don't get the cable car all the way up? I dunno.

Can you recommend any other day trips in Switzerland that will keep my friends occupied for 3/4 days?

Thanks,

Offfalygirl
Offalygirl, Aug 4, 2008 @ 19:56

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Consider golden pass train, or other scenic trains by SBB/CFF. Some of these have panoramic windows and offer seats in the front of the train with amazing scenic views. Some tickets allow you to stop at small Swiss towns, stroll and then continue with the later train.

Consider cheese and chocolate making places such as Gruyere etc. - all of which are reasonably close to Geneva, reachable by train and then short walks.

Consider watch-related exhibits and tours near Neuchatel area.

Annecy is nicer and may be better for your friend with vertigo. Try some of the great restaurants near Annecy or in Vaud... I loved the two that offer molecular cuisine - the pinnacle of culinary art. Marc Veyrat is the one near Annecy.

Consider golden pass train, or other scenic trains by SBB/CFF. Some of these have panoramic windows and offer seats in the front of the train with amazing scenic views. Some tickets allow you to stop at small Swiss towns, stroll and then continue with the later train.

Consider cheese and chocolate making places such as Gruyere etc. - all of which are reasonably close to Geneva, reachable by train and then short walks.

Consider watch-related exhibits and tours near Neuchatel area.

Annecy is nicer and may be better for your friend with vertigo. Try some of the great restaurants near Annecy or in Vaud... I loved the two that offer molecular cuisine - the pinnacle of culinary art. Marc Veyrat is the one near Annecy.
colorado, Aug 4, 2008 @ 20:43

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks Tinkie and Colorado for all the advice. I have loads of places to choose from now:)
Thanks Tinkie and Colorado for all the advice. I have loads of places to choose from now:)
Offalygirl, Aug 5, 2008 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I second Montreux and Vevey with a visit to the Chillon castle. Annecy is lovely, and Yvoire is a great little Medieval town as well. I would recommend taking a boat there from Nyon or Geneva and going to the restaurant with a rooftop overlooking the whole town (sorry, don't remember what it's called).
I second Montreux and Vevey with a visit to the Chillon castle. Annecy is lovely, and Yvoire is a great little Medieval town as well. I would recommend taking a boat there from Nyon or Geneva and going to the restaurant with a rooftop overlooking the whole town (sorry, don't remember what it's called).
Jered, Aug 5, 2008 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi Jered,

Thanks for those suggestions too. Its a real help:)

Offalygirl

Hi Jered,

Thanks for those suggestions too. Its a real help:)

Offalygirl
Offalygirl, Aug 7, 2008 @ 13:01

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1179 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form