Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Japan: Ryokan or "western style" hotel

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Japan: Ryokan or "western style" hotel
Hello,

Did some of you tried to go to some ryokans in japan?

I'm going there next week (probably lend in tokyo sunday, spend like 2 days there, then a few days in kyoto, but didn't book the flight yet so that can change), and I heard mixed reports about these ryokans.

I for sure want to try this as it looks really nice, but the point of an hotel is mostly to sleep, and i'm not sure I would love spending some nights on these tatamis.

Any advices?

Also, is it worth going in Tokyo for only 2 days?
The text you are quoting:
Hello,

Did some of you tried to go to some ryokans in japan?

I'm going there next week (probably lend in tokyo sunday, spend like 2 days there, then a few days in kyoto, but didn't book the flight yet so that can change), and I heard mixed reports about these ryokans.

I for sure want to try this as it looks really nice, but the point of an hotel is mostly to sleep, and i'm not sure I would love spending some nights on these tatamis.

Any advices?

Also, is it worth going in Tokyo for only 2 days?

RemySFeb 15, 2009 @ 15:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 988 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Japan: Ryokan or "western style" hotel
Post 1
ok, the whole ryokan vs western style hotel is like everything. some are good, some are bad. the ryokan is definitely more fun and most are very well run. sleeping on a tatami is great, but hey, that's just me! you get a roll-out futon to sleep on, you don't sleep straight on the tatami. if you're used to a soft bed, you might not like it, but it's great and such an experience if you've never done it before.

as for going to Tokyo for 2 days... i'm not a big fan of Tokyo in itself, but if you've never been, it's definitely something to do! i recommend walking from Harajuku station all the way down Omotesando street (the Champs Elysees of Tokyo), and you can also go to Meiji Shrine from there. or go to the Imperial Palace, and Shinjuku. if you're not into big cities, Yokohama is smaller and a lot nicer (but i'm biased) - you could go to China Town, for example. about an hour south from Tokyo is also Kamakura, the old capital, full of temples. a really nice place to go to.

enjoy!
ok, the whole ryokan vs western style hotel is like everything. some are good, some are bad. the ryokan is definitely more fun and most are very well run. sleeping on a tatami is great, but hey, that's just me! you get a roll-out futon to sleep on, you don't sleep straight on the tatami. if you're used to a soft bed, you might not like it, but it's great and such an experience if you've never done it before.

as for going to Tokyo for 2 days... i'm not a big fan of Tokyo in itself, but if you've never been, it's definitely something to do! i recommend walking from Harajuku station all the way down Omotesando street (the Champs Elysees of Tokyo), and you can also go to Meiji Shrine from there. or go to the Imperial Palace, and Shinjuku. if you're not into big cities, Yokohama is smaller and a lot nicer (but i'm biased) - you could go to China Town, for example. about an hour south from Tokyo is also Kamakura, the old capital, full of temples. a really nice place to go to.

enjoy!
Minda, Feb 15, 2009 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Japan: Ryokan or "western style" hotel
Post 2
Hi Remy!

Tokyo for only 2 days in my mind is NOT enough. but depends on what interests you. Ginza is worth visiting if you want to see fashion and great department stores (you must check out the food halls of any large department store. that in itself is an experience), and as Mindi says, Omotesando is fun to walk down but has changed since 5yrs ago and has become a high end shopping street.  There's the Akihabara region if you're into electronic gadgets; Asakusa for some shrines and generally interesting to walk around; the Shibuya 'scramble crossing' is always fun to observe from the 2nd floor Starbucks restraurant, watching the people scrambling about in complete chaotic order; and shinjuku is just a huge city within a city. I get lost in the underground metro station even before coming above ground so tend to avoid going there.  There's always the new Roppongi which has a great observatory in the tall Mori skyscraper.  But one thing for sure is that everywhere in Tokyo is all abour retail retail retail, but Tsukiji fish market area is interesting if you get there early (don't go sundays), you'll see the hustle and bustle of the whole fishing industry and get to eat the best sushi for a price you can't get anywhere. 

As for the Ryokan, if you want the full experience, you would need to spend a bit so you're going for the full service deal, which means you have hopefully an onsenn and they provide for a lavish meal either served in the room or in the main dining area. i suppose to those who can't appreciate accomodations other than the Hilton style beds would be disppointed to sleep on the floor on a futon.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Too bad you're going a bit too early for the cherry blossoms, but hopefully you'll see some ume (plum) starting to bloom if you head towards kyoto.

enjoy!

Hi Remy!

Tokyo for only 2 days in my mind is NOT enough. but depends on what interests you. Ginza is worth visiting if you want to see fashion and great department stores (you must check out the food halls of any large department store. that in itself is an experience), and as Mindi says, Omotesando is fun to walk down but has changed since 5yrs ago and has become a high end shopping street.  There's the Akihabara region if you're into electronic gadgets; Asakusa for some shrines and generally interesting to walk around; the Shibuya 'scramble crossing' is always fun to observe from the 2nd floor Starbucks restraurant, watching the people scrambling about in complete chaotic order; and shinjuku is just a huge city within a city. I get lost in the underground metro station even before coming above ground so tend to avoid going there.  There's always the new Roppongi which has a great observatory in the tall Mori skyscraper.  But one thing for sure is that everywhere in Tokyo is all abour retail retail retail, but Tsukiji fish market area is interesting if you get there early (don't go sundays), you'll see the hustle and bustle of the whole fishing industry and get to eat the best sushi for a price you can't get anywhere. 

As for the Ryokan, if you want the full experience, you would need to spend a bit so you're going for the full service deal, which means you have hopefully an onsenn and they provide for a lavish meal either served in the room or in the main dining area. i suppose to those who can't appreciate accomodations other than the Hilton style beds would be disppointed to sleep on the floor on a futon.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Too bad you're going a bit too early for the cherry blossoms, but hopefully you'll see some ume (plum) starting to bloom if you head towards kyoto.

enjoy!
YouMeCo, Feb 15, 2009 @ 18:23

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 988 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form