Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Liverpool - any tips of where to stay, what to see?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Liverpool - any tips of where to stay, what to see?
All input gratefully rec'd!
The text you are quoting:
All input gratefully rec'd!
SimSimFeb 17, 2009 @ 00:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1274 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Liverpool - any tips of where to stay, what to see?
Post 1
When are you going and how long for?

www.visitliverpool.com

When are you going and how long for?

www.visitliverpool.com
Treesa, Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:32

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi there. Going this weekend for a wedding in Southport and then meeting up with a good friend have not seen in ages for rest of weekend. Would like to find a nice place in which, and from which we can chill out, chat, and explore easily.
Hi there. Going this weekend for a wedding in Southport and then meeting up with a good friend have not seen in ages for rest of weekend. Would like to find a nice place in which, and from which we can chill out, chat, and explore easily.
SimSim, Feb 17, 2009 @ 08:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I've stayed in the Holiday Inn which was fine - very central (the one in town not the one by the docks) and the Hope Street hotel which is lovely but expensive! If budget was no issue I would love to stay in the Hard Days Night hotel just for the kitsch factor!

If you are planning a night out I would avoid Mathew Street and Concert Square. Unfortunately these areas have a reputation for trouble that is not unfounded. Seel Street and Parr Street are near Concert Square but are completely fine and there are loads of bars around to choose from! The Albert dock is also a great place to hang out but it is more expensive. There is a new shopping area called Liverpool One which is opposite the Albert dock and there are lots of restaurants there but I haven't eaten there as yet and so can't recommend anything in particular. If you are stopping on Hope Street then there is the Philharmonic pub which is a big pub, well known for its ornate male toilets. Female ones are dull and boring and men are not surprised by the appearance of female heads around the door! Again there are quite a few bars on Hope Street too.

The Beat goes on is an exhibition at the World Museum which is really good about music through the ages in Liverpool. The International Slavery Museum is fascinating and the Egypt exhibition is supposed to be good but I've not been yet. The tate has got a William Blake exhibition on at the moment (I think!). The Beatles story on the Albert dock is ok but personally i think it's very expensive for what it is.

Hope that helps!

I've stayed in the Holiday Inn which was fine - very central (the one in town not the one by the docks) and the Hope Street hotel which is lovely but expensive! If budget was no issue I would love to stay in the Hard Days Night hotel just for the kitsch factor!

If you are planning a night out I would avoid Mathew Street and Concert Square. Unfortunately these areas have a reputation for trouble that is not unfounded. Seel Street and Parr Street are near Concert Square but are completely fine and there are loads of bars around to choose from! The Albert dock is also a great place to hang out but it is more expensive. There is a new shopping area called Liverpool One which is opposite the Albert dock and there are lots of restaurants there but I haven't eaten there as yet and so can't recommend anything in particular. If you are stopping on Hope Street then there is the Philharmonic pub which is a big pub, well known for its ornate male toilets. Female ones are dull and boring and men are not surprised by the appearance of female heads around the door! Again there are quite a few bars on Hope Street too.

The Beat goes on is an exhibition at the World Museum which is really good about music through the ages in Liverpool. The International Slavery Museum is fascinating and the Egypt exhibition is supposed to be good but I've not been yet. The tate has got a William Blake exhibition on at the moment (I think!). The Beatles story on the Albert dock is ok but personally i think it's very expensive for what it is.

Hope that helps!
Treesa, Feb 17, 2009 @ 11:23

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thank you, thank you thank you!!!! Your recommendations much appreciated and I have booked in favour of kitsch ;)
Thank you, thank you thank you!!!! Your recommendations much appreciated and I have booked in favour of kitsch ;)
SimSim, Feb 18, 2009 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
No problem - hope you have a fab time. Liverpool is a great city! Another recommendation via a friend of mine is a restuarant called Zeligs which is in the Liverpool One shopping area.
No problem - hope you have a fab time. Liverpool is a great city! Another recommendation via a friend of mine is a restuarant called Zeligs which is in the Liverpool One shopping area.
Treesa, Feb 18, 2009 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1274 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form