Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Minors traveling without parents

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Minors traveling without parents

Dear Glocals community

Has anyone had experience with allowing their minor children to travel with family friends on Easyjet flights?  I am receiving conflicting information about what sort of documentation my 9-year old would need to be allowed to board flights from Geneva to Italy and back.  I had thought a detailed letter from both the father and mother with the itinerary and copies of our passports would suffice if he has his own valid passport but now I am not sure.  Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

Christine 

The text you are quoting:

Dear Glocals community

Has anyone had experience with allowing their minor children to travel with family friends on Easyjet flights?  I am receiving conflicting information about what sort of documentation my 9-year old would need to be allowed to board flights from Geneva to Italy and back.  I had thought a detailed letter from both the father and mother with the itinerary and copies of our passports would suffice if he has his own valid passport but now I am not sure.  Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

Christine 

Christine CJul 4, 2018 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1609 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Minors traveling without parents
Post 1

From my experience with my own daughter, that would suffice. But why don't you just ask Easyjet? They are the ones who will be making the decision, regardless of what I or others tell you was our experience.

From my experience with my own daughter, that would suffice. But why don't you just ask Easyjet? They are the ones who will be making the decision, regardless of what I or others tell you was our experience.

JR M, Jul 5, 2018 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The authorisation you mentioned shouf be enough. But to play it 100% safe and avoid any surprises, get the authorisation signed by a Notaire as well. 

Read this: https://www.ge.ch/autorisation-parentale-mineur-voyageant-non-accompagne-ses-deux-parents

The authorisation you mentioned shouf be enough. But to play it 100% safe and avoid any surprises, get the authorisation signed by a Notaire as well. 

Read this: https://www.ge.ch/autorisation-parentale-mineur-voyageant-non-accompagne-ses-deux-parents

Nir Ofek, Jul 5, 2018 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Christine: if you get a confirmed reply from EasyJet, could you pls update this thread?

Christine: if you get a confirmed reply from EasyJet, could you pls update this thread?

Nir Ofek, Jul 5, 2018 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-332/192_read-3626/

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-332/192_read-3626/

tawb, Jul 5, 2018 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks Tawb, et al!  This is really helpful.  We have received conflicting advice from Easyjet and the Italian Consulate which is why I am asking.  I would like to avoid the hassle and cost of the notaire if it's not necesary.  I will update you in a few weeks once this is over!

Cheers

Christine 

Thanks Tawb, et al!  This is really helpful.  We have received conflicting advice from Easyjet and the Italian Consulate which is why I am asking.  I would like to avoid the hassle and cost of the notaire if it's not necesary.  I will update you in a few weeks once this is over!

Cheers

Christine 

Christine C, Jul 5, 2018 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

An update today:  The Italalian Consulate in Geneva replies that "in the presence of a foreign passport the authority of the respective nationality is competent, not the country of destination", while the US Consulate says it is a question for the Italian authorities.  The Swiss authorities strongly recommend contacting the destination country for advice. 

An update today:  The Italalian Consulate in Geneva replies that "in the presence of a foreign passport the authority of the respective nationality is competent, not the country of destination", while the US Consulate says it is a question for the Italian authorities.  The Swiss authorities strongly recommend contacting the destination country for advice. 

Christine C, Jul 5, 2018 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jul 5, 18 15:43

so sounds like you have a clear answer.

so sounds like you have a clear answer.

Nir Ofek, Jul 5, 2018 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Dear All

Thanks to everyone who shared information on their own experiences.  The experience my son had was that Easyjet asked only for his passport both leaving Geneva for Naples, and returning to Geneva from Rome.  I imagine that others might have different experiences so this is only to share our experience for what it is worth.  

I think it was an interesting lesson in the amount of misinformation that can be provided by both airline carriers and diplomatic missions with everyone covering themselves by indicating that it was my responsibility to consult with the "competent authorities" while disagreeing with each other about who the competent authorities were in this case and refusing to put anything into writing.  

Good luck to all who face various international travel arrangements with international kids particularly when they are not accompanied by a parent!

Cheers

Christine 

Dear All

Thanks to everyone who shared information on their own experiences.  The experience my son had was that Easyjet asked only for his passport both leaving Geneva for Naples, and returning to Geneva from Rome.  I imagine that others might have different experiences so this is only to share our experience for what it is worth.  

I think it was an interesting lesson in the amount of misinformation that can be provided by both airline carriers and diplomatic missions with everyone covering themselves by indicating that it was my responsibility to consult with the "competent authorities" while disagreeing with each other about who the competent authorities were in this case and refusing to put anything into writing.  

Good luck to all who face various international travel arrangements with international kids particularly when they are not accompanied by a parent!

Cheers

Christine 

Christine C, Jul 25, 2018 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1609 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form