Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Mountain Resort to go with a 3-yo kid - please advise! And we can join a nice company :-)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mountain Resort to go with a 3-yo kid - please advise! And we can join a nice company :-)

I would be grateful if you could advise an Alpine mountain resort to go with a 3-yo kid this spring-summer.

Ideally it should
- be a beautiful calm place with a lake/river, without much traffic
- be easily accessed with public transport (train/bus)
- have easy hiking routes nearby
- have flat walking roads for a kid on a carriage/scooter/runbike
- have a place for swimming (both outdoor and indoor)
- have nice kids' playgrounds (more than one) and maybe some other kids' attractions
- have a farm with domestic animals
- have a food shop & bakery.

In March we stayed in Laengenfeld (Oetztal, Austria), and we liked it a lot, but there is too much traffic on all the roads - dangerous for a fast-moving kid on a scooter. Before that we visited Leukerbad, and we enjoyed it, too, - though it's not really for kids of this age: not many flat roads, and we managed to find only one kids' playground too far from a place where we stayed :-)

We would also be glad to join other families with kids, for a nice company - we speak English and Russian fluently, and German and French a little.

The text you are quoting:

I would be grateful if you could advise an Alpine mountain resort to go with a 3-yo kid this spring-summer.

Ideally it should
- be a beautiful calm place with a lake/river, without much traffic
- be easily accessed with public transport (train/bus)
- have easy hiking routes nearby
- have flat walking roads for a kid on a carriage/scooter/runbike
- have a place for swimming (both outdoor and indoor)
- have nice kids' playgrounds (more than one) and maybe some other kids' attractions
- have a farm with domestic animals
- have a food shop & bakery.

In March we stayed in Laengenfeld (Oetztal, Austria), and we liked it a lot, but there is too much traffic on all the roads - dangerous for a fast-moving kid on a scooter. Before that we visited Leukerbad, and we enjoyed it, too, - though it's not really for kids of this age: not many flat roads, and we managed to find only one kids' playground too far from a place where we stayed :-)

We would also be glad to join other families with kids, for a nice company - we speak English and Russian fluently, and German and French a little.

Natalia LazarevaApr 7, 2014 @ 10:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1448 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mountain Resort to go with a 3-yo kid - please advise! And we can join a nice company :-)
Post 1

Your list is quite extensive, and not sure if it excists , howver:

We have taken our kiddies to the Belalp (Blatten b. Naters) - Take the train to Brig, from there the postbus and the last part a cable car. There is a farm, hiking is quite easy and there are tons of streams for the kids to play in - no traffic since it's car free. In the village below there is a small pool, an adventure course etc.etc. There is no farm with domestic animals, but the cows on the mountain are very nice :-) 

check out www.belalp.ch for hotels and more info. Our favourite hotel is http://hamiltonlodge.ch/ - run by a Dutch couple. 

You can also rent a chalet for the week - we've rented from these people for two weeks and found them very nice & friendly : http://www.beltour.ch/

Your list is quite extensive, and not sure if it excists , howver:

We have taken our kiddies to the Belalp (Blatten b. Naters) - Take the train to Brig, from there the postbus and the last part a cable car. There is a farm, hiking is quite easy and there are tons of streams for the kids to play in - no traffic since it's car free. In the village below there is a small pool, an adventure course etc.etc. There is no farm with domestic animals, but the cows on the mountain are very nice :-) 

check out www.belalp.ch for hotels and more info. Our favourite hotel is http://hamiltonlodge.ch/ - run by a Dutch couple. 

You can also rent a chalet for the week - we've rented from these people for two weeks and found them very nice & friendly : http://www.beltour.ch/

martin, Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Mountain Resort to go with a 3-yo kid - please advise! And we can join a nice company :-)
Post 2

Martin, thank you so much!!!

Martin, thank you so much!!!

Natalia Lazareva, Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

С приездом!  Трудно отбетить но подумаю 

С приездом!  Трудно отбетить но подумаю 

Paul E, Apr 7, 2014 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Brienz might work but could be too big.  There appears to be about a km of cyclable traqcks next to the lake, maybe more.  Steam train to the Birenzer Rothorn where you can hike short of long distances. Near to Meiringen (Sherlock Holmes is a citizen of honour), Interlaken. 

I then looked at the Walensee, nothing on the north side but there is this palce qhich haqs a children's playground http://hotels.stc.ch/puDetails.aspx?idhotel=16113

Brienz might work but could be too big.  There appears to be about a km of cyclable traqcks next to the lake, maybe more.  Steam train to the Birenzer Rothorn where you can hike short of long distances. Near to Meiringen (Sherlock Holmes is a citizen of honour), Interlaken. 

I then looked at the Walensee, nothing on the north side but there is this palce qhich haqs a children's playground http://hotels.stc.ch/puDetails.aspx?idhotel=16113

Paul E, Apr 7, 2014 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you, Paul! You are the best - as always! Smile

Thank you, Paul! You are the best - as always! Smile

Natalia Lazareva, Apr 7, 2014 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

For farm holidays but might be a problem getting there but distance to village is shown and can be as little as 1km

http://farm.myswitzerland.com/a-la-ferme

For farm holidays but might be a problem getting there but distance to village is shown and can be as little as 1km

http://farm.myswitzerland.com/a-la-ferme

Paul E, Apr 7, 2014 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I would be grateful, if somebody else, like Martin above, could advise some other places - basing on one's own experience, preferably positive Smile

I would be grateful, if somebody else, like Martin above, could advise some other places - basing on one's own experience, preferably positive Smile

Natalia Lazareva, Apr 8, 2014 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I think the Vallée Verte could be that place - not far from Geneva either

http://ete.vallee-verte.com/

I think the Vallée Verte could be that place - not far from Geneva either

http://ete.vallee-verte.com/

Liubov D, Apr 8, 2014 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

An other place we've really enjoyed with the kids is Leukerbad (Leuche les Bains).

This is a very nice little restaurant called "flaschen" - run by the Briand family. This is an absolute hidden gem, Extremely friendly, they have some rabbits the kids can stroke/cuddle, nothing is too much to ask, and it's situated at the end of the road so not too much traffic.

http://www.restaurant-flaschen.ch/

It's not fancy or flashy, but the food is great, the people are warm, and the rooms are clean. They have a little playground with a trampoline, slide and some climbing stuff. Thye are located next to the cable car, which takes you all the way up for some flat and easy (though stunning hikes). if the weater is bad, Leukerbad has some nice swimming pools. 

An other place we've really enjoyed with the kids is Leukerbad (Leuche les Bains).

This is a very nice little restaurant called "flaschen" - run by the Briand family. This is an absolute hidden gem, Extremely friendly, they have some rabbits the kids can stroke/cuddle, nothing is too much to ask, and it's situated at the end of the road so not too much traffic.

http://www.restaurant-flaschen.ch/

It's not fancy or flashy, but the food is great, the people are warm, and the rooms are clean. They have a little playground with a trampoline, slide and some climbing stuff. Thye are located next to the cable car, which takes you all the way up for some flat and easy (though stunning hikes). if the weater is bad, Leukerbad has some nice swimming pools. 

martin, Apr 8, 2014 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

One of the other things we've did : Saas Fee is brilliant as well. It's car free (though there are little electrical cars drving around) - nice places to walk to, good bars and restaurants and tons of easy hikes, or cable car rides. 

Our absolute favourite hotel is www.ferienart.ch - the suites are brilliant with kids, however they do come at a (quite steep) price. Check out the Saas Fee website for more info. 

One of the other things we've did : Saas Fee is brilliant as well. It's car free (though there are little electrical cars drving around) - nice places to walk to, good bars and restaurants and tons of easy hikes, or cable car rides. 

Our absolute favourite hotel is www.ferienart.ch - the suites are brilliant with kids, however they do come at a (quite steep) price. Check out the Saas Fee website for more info. 

martin, Apr 8, 2014 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Zermatt. All car free with good resto's services etc in the summer, pretty mountain too.

Try Les Portes de Soleille... very child friendly, lots to do.

Or closer to Geneva would be Leysin in Vaud... probably fits all the above actually.

All have websites with info on summer activities.

French resorts , Chamonix, megeve etc

Zermatt. All car free with good resto's services etc in the summer, pretty mountain too.

Try Les Portes de Soleille... very child friendly, lots to do.

Or closer to Geneva would be Leysin in Vaud... probably fits all the above actually.

All have websites with info on summer activities.

French resorts , Chamonix, megeve etc

Charlie, Apr 8, 2014 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

ps... most resorts have a break between the end of winter and the start of the summer season... alot will be closed and super quiet... it may be cheap to stay, but fewer restaus open and fewer activities... be careful.

ps... most resorts have a break between the end of winter and the start of the summer season... alot will be closed and super quiet... it may be cheap to stay, but fewer restaus open and fewer activities... be careful.

Charlie, Apr 8, 2014 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Villars is worth checking out and close by Geneva

Villars is worth checking out and close by Geneva

peaky, Apr 8, 2014 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thank you so much, guys!!! I'll check every place that you mentioned. Actually, you reminded me of many places where I had already been - but I hadn't had a child then, so I didn't regard these places as kids-oriented :-) And I appreciate your experience and advice!

Thank you so much, guys!!! I'll check every place that you mentioned. Actually, you reminded me of many places where I had already been - but I hadn't had a child then, so I didn't regard these places as kids-oriented :-) And I appreciate your experience and advice!

Natalia Lazareva, Apr 15, 2014 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1448 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form