Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Need help planning vacation in Italy with kids (in July!)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Need help planning vacation in Italy with kids (in July!)

Hi fellow travelers,

I am looking for help/ideas for planning a 7-10 day vacation to Italy in mid-July. We have 4 adults,  2 young kids ages 6 and 8), a teen, and 2 fairly active seniors in their 70's.

Our main limitation is that the 2 young kids get motion sick quite easily - planes and trains are generally ok but cars and buses are really tough - they don't have much experience on boats. 

Original ideas are Tuscany to (areas closer to Florence seem more doable if there is enough to keep the kids interested) and the Amalfi coast (main worry is the windy roads so likely could only make it as far as Sorrento by train). We are open to the Adriatic coast, Sicily and Sardinia.  We prefer seaside vacactions but are also open to others as well.

Does anyone have any good ideas of where to focus? We don't have much flexibility in timing outside of July as some are coming from California (others are based in Geneva).

Many thanks!

Lisa

The text you are quoting:

Hi fellow travelers,

I am looking for help/ideas for planning a 7-10 day vacation to Italy in mid-July. We have 4 adults,  2 young kids ages 6 and 8), a teen, and 2 fairly active seniors in their 70's.

Our main limitation is that the 2 young kids get motion sick quite easily - planes and trains are generally ok but cars and buses are really tough - they don't have much experience on boats. 

Original ideas are Tuscany to (areas closer to Florence seem more doable if there is enough to keep the kids interested) and the Amalfi coast (main worry is the windy roads so likely could only make it as far as Sorrento by train). We are open to the Adriatic coast, Sicily and Sardinia.  We prefer seaside vacactions but are also open to others as well.

Does anyone have any good ideas of where to focus? We don't have much flexibility in timing outside of July as some are coming from California (others are based in Geneva).

Many thanks!

Lisa

incap1Apr 23, 2016 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1363 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Need help planning vacation in Italy with kids (in July!)
Post 1

Dear Lisa,

in July it will be very warm in Italy. So if your main focus is on the kids, I would recommend to go just to the Adriatic coast, for example to Rimini or in that area. Everything is well equipped for kids wanting to have fun and for adults to relax.

You will find lots of Hotels with half or full pension for reasonable prices (even if it is a bit late now for booking), nice fish meals and evening events. For a bit of culture you could have day trips to Bologna by train.

Being that period with kids in a place without pool or bathing possibility I would not recommend. It can be really hot and you will just wish to be inside the water or inside the house with closed shutters and doors.

I wish you a very nice and successful holiday in Italy - enjoy!!

Heidi

Dear Lisa,

in July it will be very warm in Italy. So if your main focus is on the kids, I would recommend to go just to the Adriatic coast, for example to Rimini or in that area. Everything is well equipped for kids wanting to have fun and for adults to relax.

You will find lots of Hotels with half or full pension for reasonable prices (even if it is a bit late now for booking), nice fish meals and evening events. For a bit of culture you could have day trips to Bologna by train.

Being that period with kids in a place without pool or bathing possibility I would not recommend. It can be really hot and you will just wish to be inside the water or inside the house with closed shutters and doors.

I wish you a very nice and successful holiday in Italy - enjoy!!

Heidi

Heidi F, Jun 3, 2016 @ 14:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Need help planning vacation in Italy with kids (in July!)
Post 2

Hi Lisa

given your situation, my suggestion would be to go to the Garda Lake - you ll also have Edenlandia, a park for the kids and you have Verona which is a lovely city. plus you will travel less - about 1.3 hours by train from milano.

The north adriatic coast isnt that pretty compared to other places, although services work well.

should you need more info, pls PM me. Enjoy!

Hi Lisa

given your situation, my suggestion would be to go to the Garda Lake - you ll also have Edenlandia, a park for the kids and you have Verona which is a lovely city. plus you will travel less - about 1.3 hours by train from milano.

The north adriatic coast isnt that pretty compared to other places, although services work well.

should you need more info, pls PM me. Enjoy!

david d, Jun 3, 2016 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1363 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form